Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
AVP 2010 was just as fun as you wanted it to be. All you needed to do was get a bunch of other goons to pile into the marine side and kamikaze-rush the predator players to slowly pistol-whip them to death as a frenzied mob:

Pictured: a stealth-kill-abusing, mine-spamming pro predator being slowly pushed inside a wall from being constantly knocked down by an unending stream of wimpy marine fists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
By the way, you can read the comicon comic off of avpgalaxy's website. Doesn't spoil too much about what you're getting into, but if the facehugged guy is anything to go off of, I'd wager there's a very good chance that Ripley's gonna have to avoid more than just the titular alien and crazy androids/people at some point. Also I really hope the developers ran with the whole "once-bustling space station crippled by the failing space-economy reduced to a skeleton crew that's now being hunted down by a monster" theme the comic gives off and gave us lots of open, lived-in areas that haven't seen people living in them for ages to explore.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I feel Lowtax did an exemplary job of summarizing Pewdiepie's issues in this here video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9II_cq01hY&list=UUPoSHO-OOTb0rqZr6bJlMkQ

As an AVP fan with battered wife syndrome, I can't wait for this crap to come out. At the very least, setting rubber-skinned synthetics on fire for a couple of hours should be entertaining.

I'm predicting average reviews with criticisms focusing on repetitive cat-and-mouse gameplay losing its entertainment value halfway through the game and/or the complex nature of the Alien AI leading to bad/wonky/predictable experiences throughout the game

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I have over 136 hours clocked into A:CM. I can say, without a doubt, that it is a bad game with a terrible, full-of-holes plot and characters animated so badly that they manage to be less expressive than the blocky, Lithtech-powered characters from AVP 2

But enough of that yaaaay we might get an alien game that's not complete garbage yaaaay

/edit: Also the multiplayer wasn't that bad if you could get past the lack of dedicated servers

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
For anyone still on the fence you can now check out some commentary-less gameplay videos that are now cropping up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJqafmls-2Y

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
As for the "bulletproof alien" thing, my money's on the game having an explanation that the pistols/shotguns on board the station are specialized to fire low-velocity rounds that, while lacking the potential to vent your precious atmosphere into the cold vacuum of space, will also have the undesired effect of being largely harmless to an 8-foot tall monstrosity with a hardened exoskeleton.

Now if only after this game Sega would let Rebellion pursue that Hadley's Hope concept revealed a few years ago.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Gaghskull posted:

However, AvP2010 had the best possible game for marines. Which was turning the interior of some maps into a boxing arena and then punching the poo poo out of any xenomorphs or predators that dared to enter the arena! :black101:

Never Forget

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I gotta say despite how dumb and easy-to-avoid they are, I have to say I freakin' love the androids from a design perspective. At one point I rounded a corner and quite-nearly bumped into a Working Joe who was facing away from me. Immediately it turned around, locked eyes with me, and started walking towards me. As bolted the gently caress away, it gave me one of the best veiled-threats I've heard from those robots all game:

"Don't Run.

Running causes accidents."

There's still a lot of clunkiness to this game, and I had the worst time with the medical area, but drat if this isn't one of the best alien games I've played in forever. Hell, it's right up there with Amnesia for best horror game so far.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
The story has its holes and there isn't much emotional investment in the characters all around, but I'm still loving all the little details you can glean about Sevastopol and how it got to the point to where its remaining inhabitants have degenerated into bands of paranoid looters:

Pretty much FuckYouGotMine.txt in corporate-speak. No wonder Axel was about to pop Ripley in the head when he first met her.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I had a group of them walk into the alien and they all had a wonderful time saying "what are you" a million times over while the alien stared at them for twenty seconds straight. It was very surreal.

But yeah if the expanded universe is anything to go by (which it isn't), xenomorphs will largely ignore synthetics unless they pose some kind of threat; WY often exploits this in some stories.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Slight spoilers but I think I discovered a very subtle easter egg:

Somebody must have jammed our radar!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAVEEERRRRRRRRR

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Real hurthling! posted:

i think something as simple as a new enemy type would have been better than putting the super joes in hazmat suits.

just make a different type of robot for some variety and a clearer indication that something is different.

Honestly the Joes should have been given some more complexity all told, especially with how often you deal with them.

CA totally missed a great opportunity to run with the synthetic's uncanny valley and give them battle damage and more faulty programming as Amanda fights them/the game progresses. Imagine nailing a Joe with the shotgun, decapitating it, only to discover the thing still coming at you with wildly-flailing arms and its head still dangling on half-severed cords, making horrible gurgling noises all the way. Or coming across damaged Joes later in the game, with missing/broken limbs and rubber flesh in tatters, their programming gone haywire from lack of maintenance, lunging at Ripley with improvised bludgeons/shivs at surprising speeds despite their hosed-up appearance. Or how about witnessing Joes pursuing you into vents and crawlspaces, squirming at you kinda like how Bishop did in that pipe in Aliens?

This game could soo benefit from a "Director's Cut" version with revamped enemies and a makeover of the second-half of the plot (and a newgame+ mode where you're given a camera and a list of things/events in the game to take photos of)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

The_Doctor posted:

My favourite bit of the soundtrack is when you hear this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1sV-E6S7x0

I was really partial towards this track that played near the end of the game.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Michael Biehn gets a job? Impossible!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Sentinel Red posted:

gently caress that, you should be Jake Busey, joining the MiB to find out what killed his dad.

Press "X" to holster giant poo poo-eating grin

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
DID SOMEBODY SAY COLONIAL MARINES

I HEARD SOMEONE SAY COLONIAL MARINES

I still need to reinstall, again...

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Today, I introduced some good friends to the amazing co-op campaign of Aliens: Colonial Marines (AKA: ear-holding: The Game):

They won't speak to me anymore.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
And don't forget boys and girls, today is your last chance to snag other amazing titles in the Alien franchise:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

MrMojok posted:

That is incredible, to me. I played it start to finish three times. But not at all in a few months.

And thanks to this thread's semi-revival I feel a fourth playthrough coming at some point soon.

You could always play...other...installments in this wonderful franchise...

for whatever reason the big guy's AI had no idea what to do when players went into the "weld door" animation, and would just sit politely and stare at them until they finished, after which it would brutally murder them (AKA pick them up and perform a touchdown throw because Gearbox's animation team is godawful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

BattleMaster posted:

Certainly this broken gas pipe will help me stop the mass of Working Joes that was chasing me.

Probably my favorite Working Joe line from the game, second only to "you are becoming hysterical." (usually because they're in the middle of strangling me while they're saying it)

• Locked thread