Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This game will be worth the price once someone just mods out all of the humans and androids. Maybe even the Xeno too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Possibly, because then there's still tension. Having these dumb encounters with people somewhat kills that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rookersh posted:

Uh, but that stuff can be done well? Make it so taking out a single android is super tough, and fighting draws the Alien to the location. Bam, suddenly it's a stealth puzzle with multiple solutions, the hardest of which is combat. Since the Alien doesn't care about the androids, all you do is screw yourself over by attempting to fight them.

It's the same with humans, although in that case it depends on how good you are at avoiding the alien. If you get caught and they open fire on you, the Alien will come and start killing them 1 by 1 while you hide.

The problem is that once you become the puppet master and use the Alien to your advantage to kill the human dudes you break the tension, at that point you're manipulating the game and the Alien just becomes a piece of a puzzle for that room and how to go about solving it. It's really really stupid if you want to keep the game scary in anyway. I mean, hell, the film the game is trying to emulate you'll notice no one has any control over anything: all plans to kill the Alien fail, attempts to flee fail, Ripley fails in stopping the self destruct sequence and they barely keep their turd of a ship functional. Everything about the film and what makes it work so well is that no one has control over poo poo the entire time and they're just trying to survive. That's how the game should play out, you're only really in control of the player character and not luring the Alien around to deal with encounters for you. Now if that happened once or twice in the game it'd be fine, just to break things up a little bit and give you a false sense of control, but so far it seems like the humans and androids are going to be somewhat frequent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That game was incredible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rookersh posted:

The problem is that a game built around a single encounter extrapolated isn't actually tense or fun. If you continuously deal with the same problem over and over again, it loses it's appeal much quicker then most people assume it would. Eventually people figure out the quirks of the enemy design, and any tension or horror is removed. This is why games like Outlast or Amnesia introduced parkour chases and puzzles. It forces the player to constantly be putting the last encounter with enemies to the back of their mind, so when they encounter the next group they aren't fully used to them. It keeps the tension fresh with each new encounter.

Ok, so add puzzles and chase sequences to Isolation and remove the stupid combat? It's been a while since I played Amnesia but wasn't there really only one enemy in it? Nothing behaved any differently save for the water creature that you couldn't see. Even with only one enemy the tension was high throughout the whole game. I don't see why having only the Alien would make the game short or how it'd get stale.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pengun101 posted:

So I was watching a interview about the game with angry Joe (yeah i know) and apparently the writer of the game is gonna be dan abnett. which in my opinion, is a good thing. also it plays like outlast with some combat, but apparently its optional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pHM6DVG5o

When he says "You can play the whole game without killing a human," it piqued my interest. Because that sounds good but I'm expecting it to be bullshit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darwinism posted:

It's pretty much AvP2: 2 and as such is pretty okay. People seem to hate it for not being AvP '99 without realizing that there'll probably never be another game like AvP '99 for plenty of good (and some bad) reasons.

I honestly can't stand the praise for the original AVP, outside of rose-tinted goggles that game looks and plays like total poo poo. AVP2 4 lyfe suckaz.

edit: And gently caress this game, god drat it I have to buy it just for that god drat DLC.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

blackguy32 posted:

I have to agree with this. Avp controls like you're gliding on ice while slathered in lube. The movement is way too smooth and feels like everyone is going 70 mph. Plus you want to talk unbalanced? Play avp1 multi as a marine and watch your rear end get tore up.

Not to mention the environments were poo poo, levels look like they were designed for Quake and someone made an Aliens themed .wad for them. Awful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got to play at Comic Con, it was only a 3 minute gameplay demo but from that they nailed the atmosphere, aesthetic and sound perfectly. The gameplay was decent enough but there wasn't much to play and pass good judgement on. The movements of the Alien are well done and the whole tracker thing is really fun. It's stupid, because when you have the Tracker out you have to hold one of the triggers to change your focus to the background but the tracker is still easy enough to read so there's no real reason to even to keep focus on the tracker. Also, you have to hold down R1 to keep the tracker out, then hold L2 to keep your focus on the environment which is loving annoying. The demo was played via a PS4 controller so I have no clue how you're going to do that on a mouse and keyboard.

There was also some cool swag given out after playing, a Alien Isolation bag, a shirt with a weird toy robot on it, the first comic in a planned series based off Isolation and a sweet iron-on patch of the space station.

I still have no hope that the game will be good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Feel like donating any cool swag to a cool Aliens fan? :kiddo:

I thought about you when I was in line, but you never responded in the Comic Con thread about the NECA Predator so I assumed you had someone here to get all of it for you. I'll try and get another set of stuff if I have the time tomorrow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Yes I did. :)

It's a halfway neat comic for what it is.

The new Isolation comic is going for stupid prices on ebay right now, though. :(

I tried grabbing some more swag for you, but they ran out of bags and comics on the last day. They only had patches, but my lady and I will probably be using them for costumes. Sorry man. I might have an extra, because I think I have 3. I'll have to double check.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dogstile posted:

I too, would like to play a game that recreates the movie scene for scene with no changes whatsoever.

This is really retarded and I don't think he's saying it in the least. I think he wants something along the lines of GoldenEye where they use the characters and set-pieces from the movie and add a bunch of extra (fun) poo poo to make sure the game isn't 2 hours long. I can't imagine what it would cost to record a full games worth of dialogue with the original cast though.

Xenomrph posted:

They haven't mentioned his involvement, but I wonder if John Hurt recorded any lines for Kane, too. In the Weaver interview we see Harry Dean Stanton recording lines for Brett, even though the DLC picks up right after he gets killed.

I just like seeing John Hurt get work because he's a cool dude. :unsmith:

They said everyone, save Ian Holm, is reprising their roles.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darth Ronson posted:

Another preview -

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2464169/alien-isolation-hands-on-in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-get-frustrated.html

- which mentions amongst other things, the alien 'cheating', and knowing where you are when it shouldn't. As well as your character knocking over objects even though you can't see their arms and legs. I was on the fence about pre-ordering, now I'm just going to wait for final reviews.

This is exactly how the game felt when I played it at E3; when the game worked it was incredible they nailed the aethetic, sound and feel of the film to a loving T, but the Alien made me feel like I was being cheated. The demo was essentially a square room with a hallway along all of the sides. The Alien always spawned to the right-side hall and naturally I took to the left hand side of the hall. Before I knew it the Alien was at the other end of the hall waiting for me just in another room with a large window I could see it through. It started coming towards me and I had to run, there wasn't nothing to take cover behind which meant I was hosed. There's no way to outrun the thing. The same poo poo happened with my friend, though he managed to attempt to go the other way but again, the Alien was right there waiting for him to try and advance. The Alien is designed to be an obstacle in front of you at all times.

The demo was also on a PS4 controller which really sucked, I didn't care much for the sensitivity on the sticks and the game requires some finesse when playing ring-around-the-rosey with the Alien and some boxes between you two.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

It's like rubberbanding AI in racing games

Yes, but the problem here is that this makes it feel cheap and no one likes it.

Pimpmust posted:

Sounds like you were in a horror movie :v:

I can see why they choose that design, because if they go completely "free-form" (even if it's within an arena) it's gonna be likely that you end up getting totally screwed (regardless of you choices), miss the alien entirely or it just bugs out. But we've known this was gonna be the "big one" from the start, so eh. Could work?

Game sounds to have a decent length to it, that guy in the video didn't seem to have completed it at 6 hours logged?

It seems like a lot of the time logged was him having to replay a lot of sections due to deaths. That's another problem with the game, you have to play flawlessly, you make a mistake and you're dead. I hope that there's something that you can do to save your rear end once it grabs you. The Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube introduced a great mechanic where in you got Knives (as Chris) or a Taser (as Jill) and if a zombie grabbed you you'd use up a knife or a battery to free yourself from their grasp. It was great because finding batteries and knives wasn't really commonplace and it sucked having to use such a precious resource but they'd save your rear end.

Isolation could do the same with the stunrod (I see them pick it up in that video), and maybe it does and we don't know about it, but make batteries rare and you use one when the Alien grabs you and you shock it to scare it away. It gives you a second chance but now you're down on saves and maybe it was your last one and you're making GBS threads yourself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I get why the game makes Alien encounters basically instantly fatal, because it's supposed to make you afraid of the Alien and not want to press your luck for fear of getting mugged, but I can also see how having the game deteriorate into trial-and-error gameplay because the AI is too smart/omniscient/teleporting could get tedious, too.

I get that the Alien needs to be threatening, but when you die in one "hit" of the Alien you can't make it where one mistake will get you killed. It gets annoying quick and that's how I died both times during SDCC. My first time through the demo I waited for the Alien to move to the left-hand corridor and then tried sneaking over to the right hand corridor and thought I saw the exit, so I made a break for it. The instant I started running it knew where I was and went straight for me (you can hear the thudding of it's feet on the metal) and within 5 seconds it outran me and killed me. The second time I mixed up the controls and hit Melee instead of pulling out my tracker so I ended up whacking the metal crate in front of me with a wrench. The Alien made a loving b-line straight for me. It never saw me but I watched it on the tracker come straight for me and listened to it running. It didn't come to my general direction and scout around, it went to exactly where the sound came from, which is bullshit and really stupid.

Xenomrph posted:

I like your stun rod idea, but it'd have to be used properly or you risk making the Alien seem underpowered.

Easy, you limit the batteries and hell, have it break after X amount of uses and it requires a poo poo-ton of resources to fix. Amanda tinkers to build things through the game why not implement it here?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

The disclaimer was because we had people jumping in with doom and gloom about a pre-made demo level and then using a gameinformer article as "evidence", when the article itself points out that it's all from a demo level and that the author wants to play the final game before condemning it.

We're jumping with gloom and doom because of all of the playable demos people have played at events and builds that journalist have been able to play for well over 6 hours, it's all the same thing that we've dreaded and have left people with bad tastes in their mouths.

I really want to like this game and I hold out hope, I have the preorder on Steam for the DLC and I'll play through it no matter what. I just fear it won't be as good as it really could be, fall flat and be formulaic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of retro-futuristic, has anything more happened with Routine?

They did a small update recently, but that's about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

No, it's just balancing out the doom-and-gloom naysayers who are acting like this is going to be Colonial Marines 2: Now Even Shittier. We've got people here saying "the Alien teleports, 0/10 shittiest Alien game ever made, what a loving disappointment goddamnit why can't they make a good Alien game" and then citing a gameinformer article that specifically says that comparisons to Colonial Marines are retarded as "evidence" that it's in fact going to be an objectively bad, unfun trainwreck of a game. I'm trying to take a more measured approach that yes, while there's clearly frustrating, "cheap" gameplay elements that are worth recognizing, maybe, just maybe, they're handled better in the final game and we shouldn't condemn the game to death just yet.

[citation needed] on those "worst game ever" posts, and please don't quote joke posts.

The game is out in less than two months, all they've shown us is disappointment and let us PLAY in that disappointment, yet you're somehow delusional as to the final game being somehow different, why? You really think the final product is going to change? The game is probably gold at this point and hitting mass distribution.

Xenomrph posted:

That's the thing, this isn't true and I already wrote an 8000-word treatise a bunch of pages back when someone said the same thing, and a bunch of people chimed in and said "ya'know, he's right". "Not as good as they should be"? Okay, maaaaaybe, but that's more than a little vague and subjective, but the "good" Alien/AvP games absolutely outnumber the bad ones by a pretty big margin, and it's been that way for years. People have PTSD because Colonial Marines was bad and AvP2010 wasn't as good as they'd hoped (but it still wasn't a "bad game").

There's 34 Alien games, given that AVP2, AVP2010 (decent enough) and the Capcom beat'em up are the only good ones that gives us 3. People praise Trilogy so let's make it an even 4. So much for outnumbering huh?

Xenomrph posted:

He said that the Alien doesn't come running every time you reveal your presence

Strange because that's that it did exactly in both demos at SDCC.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Organs posted:

I can't believe people still fall for that line. It's a great 'get out of jail free' card whenever people start noticing a bunch of problems with a game before launch, but it never ever changes when the game in question is released

Sometimes the final product is even worse e.g. Watch Dogs and Dark Souls 2

And especially when it comes to level design, demos are just chunks of the game ripped out and sewn together (if it's multiple chunks) and never get changed. We haven't played purpose build levels, just select parts of the final game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wade Wilson posted:

Well, let's be honest, a "realistic" Alien from the game universe would murder every person that plays the game within seconds if it's hungry. Plot Armor is the only thing that ever protects anyone in the movies.

Not really, the Alien in the first film doesn't really seek anyone out save for Parker and Lambert. Brett wakes it up while it's sleeping an Dallas gets stuck in it's lair and ambushes him. The Alien in the first film is described as strong (lifting Brett), large and it shows it's limber the way it curls up and hangs itself in the cargo bay Brett gets taken in. It's never described or seen as fast, poo poo the only times it moves it's terribly slow and prefers to get the sneak on people (it hides in the shadows before killing Parker and Lambert) and slowly approaches. Even when Ripley wakes it in the escape pod it takes it's time to even get to her.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair when Lambert is tracking it on the motion tracker when Dallas is in the vents, it's moving pretty quick and closing on Dallas.

I don't remember, but they never say it's moving quickly, only that it's moving and the motion tracker doesn't give us any sense of scale or measurement of how fast the blips are going.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

We see how fast Dallas is moving and we see how fast his blip moves as he does, and then we see the Alien's blip moving at like triple the speed. That's a pretty good indication that it was moving pretty quick.

Dallas is moving at a snails pace as he lugs a flamethrower and bulky as poo poo flashlight with him, so the Alien going "three times as fast" doesn't mean it's quick.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Archonex posted:

Raw rear end

Unless you're being sarcastic, that red text kinda fits.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I'll be waiting to get Isolation, only because I don't have an Xbox One yet. I'm hoping for some good price drops or bundles or whatever as we get into Black Friday and Christmas, etc.

Or just get it on PC?

Survival mode looks like poo poo, when I heard it I thought they'd leave the whole ship open and you try to see how long you survive without any specific objectives go but it's the exact opposite, locked down levels and arbitrary things you have to do for points because leaderboards.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your computer set-up is rear end. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I don't dispute this :colbert: but I've got limited options :saddowns:

Time to upgrade yourself.

AlternateAccount posted:

gently caress this bullshit so loving hard. I am so close to just being 95% done with PC gaming because this sort of attitude is the prevailing mindset and it's just so goddamn awful.

You're going to quit PC gaming for what, the same thing on Consoles?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hahahah, welp, they've updated the store page on Steam and included the Season Pass and pre-order bonus for TF2:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

soggybagel posted:

I'm pretty sure the Survival Mode was what was actually demoed at E3. I recall in my playthrough that it had little challenge things pop up. Like make it through undetected or something to that effect.

lol, I remember that. If that's any indication of the size of the DLC maps prepare for some sorry poo poo. (If you completed the demo at E3 or SDCC it was less than 10 minutes)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Palpek posted:

I don't know what's bad about this, many games did it, good games even.

Nothing's bad about it, just pointing it out, though for Alien Isolation it's $50 the "Digital Deluxe" Edition is $68 (which is the game plus the Season Pass) and the Season Pass alone is $30. lol

You can also upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition for $18. I don't think they thought this through.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The story is still dumb as hell and goes against poo poo in the books. So yeah I can see Alien Isolation ending up like that.

Can you give specifics? I don't remember the books for poo poo but eh, does it really matter?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pengun101 posted:

But on topic, I am still hopeful for alien isolation because at the very least, it looks extremely atmospheric and that goes along way with me.

I gobble up atmosphere like a mother fucker, but even if the game feels perfect from an ambiance perspective and sucks elsewhere I will be ripping it a new rear end. Only a couple days left.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It seems like it's all demos and purpose-made builds for previews.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GameTrailers has their review up and they tend to hit the nail right on the head, there's two things in the review that make me go :what:

- About halfway through, the Alien just... disappears for a chunk of the game, they don't explain why because it's a spoiler but a part of the game is without the Alien. What the gently caress.
- You get more than a Flamethrower, you get a Shotgun, Revolver, Pipebombs and some sort of bolt gun so you can just mow down anything in your way, save for the Alien which you can just have piss off with the Flamethrower.

You guys had one loving job, just ONE.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Palpek posted:

Yeah, we'll have to see how that gametime is divided, maybe the open combat section against humanoids is absolutely necessary to keep things fresh. I can only hope it's also fun. Also apparently the last act is so tryhard Aliens, hitting every cliche from the movies that it makes you appreciate the first part of the game a lot.

Please tell me you just made this up. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hiddenriverninja posted:

I played this game for a bit using an Oculus Rift and I never went from "Yeah, whatever" to heart-pumping, pants-making GBS threads terror so fast.

How did get to play it with the Rift?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Flubby posted:

Does a xenomorph even see? If it looks at you with the front of it's head it sees you right? Or does it hear you?

If we're only counting the first film, it's kind of ambiguous, you'll notice every time it approaches someone (Brett, Dallas, Lambert) it reaches it's arms out before getting in close, almost like a blind person. Also at the end of the film the Alien is oblivious to Ripley, five feet away, in the suit as she moves around and sings to herself before trying to blow it out into space on the escape pod.

In Aliens the Queen looks directly at Ripley/Newt and her drones when she calls the off.

Motherfucker posted:

Concept art and such shows a human skull under the front of the 'lobe' or whatever, perhaps their eyes are merely hidden inside the upper portion of their head.

HR Geiger used an actual human skull when making the mold of the suit and the skull is under the smooth dome though really hard to see in the film. Also, it's the only film which uses that head type for the Alien so them having "eyes" doesn't make much sense. :eng101:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChickenHeart posted:

Now if only after this game Sega would let Rebellion pursue that Hadley's Hope concept revealed a few years ago.

I like the art but really, what would this bring to the table that any AvP game hasn't? Other than a lot of polish the actiony Alien game has really been done to death.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm pleasantly surprised so far, I did both Nostromo DLCs first and they really captured the film well. It's loving amazing actually getting to walking around the ship and have to deal with the Alien, and god drat it looks gorgeous when you're running through the hallways and they're filled with fog/smoke/mist when the ship is about to explode. Also seeing the Alien's silhouette in the fog is :vince:

Funny enough when I made it to the Narcissus I checked to see if the Alien was stowed away like in the film, thinking I might have to do some QTEs to blow it out of the airlock but sadly it wasn't. Though the space where it was sleeping was. Every detail is perfect.

The other DLC isn't as good, I picked Dallas because he's the one that tries blowing it out of the airlock but I don't think anything changes save for some dialogue. It was really cool crawling through the vents he dies in and having Lambert give me directions since it's literally a confusing maze. The ending was dumb though, you have to activate the door for the airlock and it takes while so you have to hide from the Alien. Then you have to wait for the Alien to just meander into the airlock and you have to follow right behind it and close the door. What ends up happening is you hit the switch several times and the door won't shut, the Alien charges you and knocks you out with a body check (this is all a cutscene) and you wake up and Ash goes "Well that didn't work." and that's the end. Both DLCs were longer than I really expected them to be and it's awesome because I don't think there's a single room or corridor that's left out from the film.

As for the main game, I'm enjoying it. It reminds me a lot of Dead Space but the voice acting is probably the worst part so far; it really isn't good. Also there's a severe lack of facial animations, coupled with the high level of detail on everyone's face it makes everyone look like a cyborg. It's unintentionally creepy and kinda poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

And with that, everytime you see a save terminal loving save. Early on I skipped two terminals and was killed having to replay 5 minutes of dialogue and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm enjoying the game so far, I really like it but it's not close to great. The AI is really dumb, the Alien purposefully follows the areas you're in just to keep the tension up rather than being natural but the atmosphere is worth it alone. Also the DLC has been the highlight of the whole package.

• Locked thread