Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I loved Xenoblade and don't care that it was a long game. I didn't care that much for Xenosaga even through I loved Xenogears, but I don't really mind them at least using some of the art style from Xenoaga at least. Just so long they don't bring back this from Xenogears then I will be fine with Xenoblade X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tenzarin posted:

I always see people say Xenoblade Chronicles for the wii is good but they always fail to describe what makes it good. Compared to ff12 how is it different? The rarity of this game really doesn't help sell that it is amazing other then the fact you never see anyone say any details about the drat game. I'm on a wall, sell it to me. The old megapost was like "We got picutres!", "We got main characters", "It's the best!", never described the combat system at all, and whats up with the side quests?

We get into it pretty well in the other Xenoblade thread but know that it bucks just about every JRPG cliche in the book, specifically:

-No mana/MP
-You die, no game over, you go immediately to your last checkpoint, which generally is a few minutes back
-Save anywhere, any time
-Quick travel via the map means you can go anywhere at any point in a matter of seconds
-No inns, no need for rest or to recharge
-No items in battle. Hell, no items for the most part.
-Status effects don't follow you after battle
-Putting on armor makes your character look different
-No dumb JRPG character cliches

It literally undoes what's been wrong with JRPGs in the last decade and I'm sure I'm missing some key points.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 12, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Paper Lion posted:

The crafting takes way longer throughout the game than just that.

And as for FF12, the game never "just plays itself" because you play preemptively in response to opponent's actions, and that's only if you set it to babbymode. If you'd like, you can go into the options and turn off the party being AI and actually manage everybody's actions. I can happily concede that if you could control your entire party, that xenoblade would have better combat than FF12, but you can't. It's just playing Bop-It with your single bar of abilities and occasionally warning them about poo poo.

Was there a not babby mode or something? Because the game was pretty easy and got easier once you got better gambits. lol turning off party AI and doing it yourself. That sounds like the worst idea for that game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Louisgod posted:

-You die, no game over, you go immediately to your last checkpoint, which generally is a few minutes back
And you lose absolutely nothing. Heck, considering you can get achievements for doing stuff that kills you, you can actually level up by dying.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

We get into it pretty well in the other Xenoblade thread but know that it bucks just about every JRPG cliche in the book, specifically:

-No mana/MP
-Save anywhere, any time
-Quick travel via the map means you an go anywhere at any point in a matter of seconds
-No inns, no need for rest or to recharge
-No items in battle. Hell, no items for the most part.
-Status effects don't follow you after battle
-Putting in armor makes your character look different

It literally undoes what's been wrong with JRPGs in the last decade and I'm sure I'm missing some key points.

That last point really bears repeating. The cast is all so likable. There really isn't any dead weight there. The voice acting really contributes positively as well. It's a fun adventure with a group of fun characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So, you have to level up your town affinity (or something like it) in X to be able to open some treasure chests lying around.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Levantine posted:

That last point really bears repeating. The cast is all so likable. There really isn't any dead weight there. The voice acting really contributes positively as well. It's a fun adventure with a group of fun characters.

And they come to logical conclusions without beating around the bush. The Last Story did this really well too. And yeah there are a couple cliches here and there but it's nothing grossly eye-rolling.

Terper posted:

So, you have to level up your town affinity (or something like it) in X to be able to open some treasure chests lying around.

And to get the extra sets of skills for some characters but it's completely optional.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Another point for Xenoblade was that all the characters were worth using. I think there were a few game breaking setups but barring those I generally found myself switching it up really quite often rather than finding 3-4 people to stay with.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Are your character levels shared or are you locked in with a party once you get going? Is it fully voice acted or is it in novel form?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tracula posted:

Another point for Xenoblade was that all the characters were worth using. I think there were a few game breaking setups but barring those I generally found myself switching it up really quite often rather than finding 3-4 people to stay with.

I hope they let you set AI options for characters. Or at least make some of them usable if you aren't controlling them(riki, melia).

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the original Xenoblade but man, I get serious Xenosaga vibes from that trailer and I hope it doesn't translate into the plot and VA. That series was a goddamn trainwreck.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope they let you set AI options for characters. Or at least make some of them usable if you aren't controlling them(riki, melia).

There's a menu that was shown during the gameplay demo that had about a dozen or so commands for ordering your AI partners during battle.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Are your character levels shared or are you locked in with a party once you get going? Is it fully voice acted or is it in novel form?

Characters not in your party gain like, 90% of the experience you gain. You can freely switch party members whenever you're not in combat, and the game also pauses and lets you change equipment and party members before every boss fight, and in-between phases in longer boss fights. The majority of cutscenes are voice acted, but there are a couple cutscenes that just use text boxes.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tenzarin posted:

What do you mean? Characters level up individually but they remain consistent through the game. Also, fully voiced and by VAs in the UK since they picked the game up and NOA just rebranded it for NA.

e: there you go

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The created character seems as chatty as anyone in Xenoblade during combat from the looks of the stream.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also the person in the stream mentioned you can target limbs now.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

BrightWing posted:

The created character seems as chatty as anyone in Xenoblade during combat from the looks of the stream.

I'm wondering if there's a voice/personality list available for the main character on character creation. If the main character is silent during cutscenes, that may still be a thing. I got in late on the Xenoblade stream today, did they go into detail during character creation or was this one whipped up in about a minute like the last one?

EDIT: I'm asking because the female voice here is very cheerful/energetic, not really the "blank slate" type I'd expect if there was only one voice option.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 12, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

jonjonaug posted:

There's a menu that was shown during the gameplay demo that had about a dozen or so commands for ordering your AI partners during battle.

That's good. I want some medium between Xenoblade being fairly hands off for a lot of combat and FF XII where you have to program the AI for your party one line at a time basically.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rirse posted:

Also the person in the stream mentioned you can target limbs now.

I could have sworn I saw part of a monster break off during the live event streaming, like he cut the ear off some rabbit creature.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

They poked around in character creation a little but the guy playing doesn't actually know Japanese and was stuck just going off what the other guy was translating so it's not a surprise they didn't go too in-depth.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Stuff from the current stream:

-Apparently the game is a spiritual sequel, not a direct one
-There seems to be some kind of in-battle item usage, the guy playing accidentally switched to an item tab in the battle menu (it was empty at this point of the game, though)
-Some equipment has level requirements
-Some arts are melee only or ranged only, arts recharge only when you're using a compatible weapon
-You can dig through dino dung for items!
-You can customize which actions trigger Soul Voice and what effects it gives you

Doc V fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Doc V posted:

And it steams up and shifts about as you dig. True next gen gameplay

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doc V posted:

This better be on the gamepad.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Doc V posted:

-There seems to be some kind of in-battle item usage

I'm hoping this means more resource management. I generally like rpgs where there is absolutely no carryover between battles so you can go all out but it really doesn't work when there are as many trash mobs as there were in the first game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

I'm sorry but Shulk is only okay until he finds out who Metal Face is. A whole truckload of sense and intelligence he had going for him takes a loving nose dive over this.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Doc V posted:

-Some equipment has level requirements

Ooh I wonder if it's because you can trade online ala PSO 1&2.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

From the stream, the player used 3000 TP (full green bar) to revive his dead NPC with ~80% HP mid battle after a B prompt

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Dubious posted:

I enjoyed the original Xenoblade but man, I get serious Xenosaga vibes from that trailer and I hope it doesn't translate into the plot and VA. That series was a goddamn trainwreck.

Yeah. It doesn't help they're using that weird resin figure look for some of the characters again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's apparently more combat commands than just "focus on hitting the guy i'm hitting" but it's all in japanese so the guy only knew that command. :v:

New E3 confirmed to be happening in Neo Los Angeles.
Looks like Neo Los Angeles is an expanded yet compressed Colony 6 with you finding important military people from the city in their stasis pods and then people that run shops and stuff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Guess I have to get a Wii U by next year. I need my Space Frontier and good JRPG itch scratched.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Some stuff I haven't seen mentioned:

The planet is called Mira.
The first trailer shows the player controlling Elma directly, though since that was over a year ago it doesn't necessarily mean you can do it in the finished game.

Battle commands:
-Use your own judgment
-Focus fire
-Use melee attacks
-Use ranged attacks
-Try to coordinate/cooperate (not entirely sure about this one)
-Leave the catch to me (I guess you can capture monsters?)
-Get in your Doll (mech)
-Exit your Doll
-Gather (around the player, presumably)
-Activate "Gear"

Doc V fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 12, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Daynab posted:

The best way to play Xenoblade 1 was to just do the story and avoid all sidequests. The game is already really long and way more interesting when there's no fetch quests.
I don't really mind that the option is there for people who like to grind, though.

Paper Lion, I'll grant you that most of the characters were pretty standard JRPG characters (though I think they were done decently well with a few plot twists) but even you have to agree Dickson was a pretty awesome character?

But if you don't do all the sidequests and meticulously manage all those little social link dealies between people you don't get the full effect when

The High Entia city is hosed and ooohhhh no all these chill folk are dead ohhhh noooo ohhhhh nooooooooooo :negative:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Activate "Gear" probably means the mech->motorcycle transformation if I had to make a guess. Also,

Doc V posted:

-Leave the catch to me (I guess you can capture monsters?)
E3 this year really had a huge emphasis on hunting monsters, drat.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They better fix the sidequest and city design in this game, that poo poo especially all the time dependent nonsense was the worst part of that game by a long loving shot

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It cannot be stressed how bad the sidequest and city design was, especially the fact that you had to do both of those asinine bullshit things to get every characters extra skills

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

It cannot be stressed how bad the sidequest and city design was, especially the fact that you had to do both of those asinine bullshit things to get every characters extra skills

City design was fine, finding people was a pain in the rear end and could've used a realtime map or something (thank god for the Google sheet somebody put together). The "asinine bullshit" things were completely optional and I think set off the OCD of people that are competitionists to a point where they burned out quick and when they were done said gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU FUUUUUUUUCK YOU.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Louisgod posted:

City design was fine, finding people was a pain in the rear end and could've used a realtime map or something (thank god for the Google sheet somebody put together). The "asinine bullshit" things were completely optional and I think set off the OCD of people that are competitionists to a point where they burned out quick and when they were done said gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU FUUUUUUUUCK YOU.

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

Also just because a lovely bad thing is optional doesn't make it not lovely and bad

Xeno chronicles was a good game, great even, but pretending it was perfect or the best jrpg ever made is flat out dishonest and disingenuous and does nobody any favors, especially because that game had major problems that everyone ignores

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I almost had beaten the game without realizing you could use other character's skills on your skill tree :)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Locking out critical gameplay features that are arguably better than what is default isn't "completely optional" and you know it

None of those extra skillsets are critical in the slightest. The game is crazy easy even without them.

They definitely do need to improve the quest system from Xenoblade though, an actual working quest compass and a much, much better town map that shows you where NPCs would be good for starters. Adopting a system like GW2 or Wildstar where you can just turn in fetch quests from wherever you are would be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I never got the additional character trees until after I beat the game once, so, what critical gameplay features are you talking about?

The only "bad" city was Alcamoth only because (unlike every other location in the game) it didn't have a myriad of fast travel points so you couldn't just push "-" and immediately appear right outside where you wanted to be if you were done fooling around. They could have made it better, but it's not as super bad and locking out critical features as you pretend.

• Locked thread