Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Here's to hoping for another decision to have a voiced protagonist, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Chronojam posted:

Here's to hoping for another decision to have a voiced protagonist, then.
It may be a bit too late for that at this point. The rest of the dialogue seems to be recorded already.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

It may be a bit too late for that at this point. The rest of the dialogue seems to be recorded already.

This hasn't stopped JRPGs before.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

StellarX posted:

I really do hope they actually create an original story and world and can let the xenogears/saga/perfect works story rest in peace. I do get the impression they may be trying to remake it yet again. Xenoblade may have had a few issues, but I was glad to have a game by these guys that finally felt 'complete' and not hosed over by a budget (gears) or extremely poor planning (saga)

Define "original story". I can pretty much guarantee that this game is going to involve giant robots, goofy monologs about killing God, and a very unorthodox interpretation of gnosticism.

I actually think there re-use of thematic elements works most of the time, like how effective seeing the changes between Citan-Jin-Dunban is, even if it sometimes falls flat (straight-up recycling Fei and Elly's designs in Xenosaga, randomly fighting Maria and Siebzehn in XS3). Sequels/series rarely work because they are bound by continuity and the original is often a completed whole, but it's difficult to exhaust all the possibilities of an archetype with a single game.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Microcline posted:

Define "original story". I can pretty much guarantee that this game is going to involve giant robots, goofy monologs about killing God, and a very unorthodox interpretation of gnosticism.

I actually think there re-use of thematic elements works most of the time, like how effective seeing the changes between Citan-Jin-Dunban is, even if it sometimes falls flat (straight-up recycling Fei and Elly's designs in Xenosaga, randomly fighting Maria and Siebzehn in XS3). Sequels/series rarely work because they are bound by continuity and the original is often a completed whole, but it's difficult to exhaust all the possibilities of an archetype with a single game.

Uhhh I dunno about you but fighting Maria in XSIII and snapping her neck over and over was pretty awesome. Almost made up for the Shevat air duct dungeon.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So speaking of Xenoblade, :frogsiren: YOUTUBE SUPERSTAR :frogsiren: chuggaaconroy is starting up his Let's Play of it (he's going for 100% completion, cripes), and the reason I bring it up here is because he's got thirty copies of the game he's giving away as prizes, with more details on how to win a copy coming soon. So there's that if you wanna try out the game but find it too expensive.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Uhhh I dunno about you but fighting Maria in XSIII and snapping her neck over and over was pretty awesome. Almost made up for the Shevat air duct dungeon.

Ziggy was just the best part of that game. That neck snap is so hilariously brutal, which makes it so much funnier when the enemy gets back up after. It was cathartic to use it on Shion at the end of the game, after all of her bullshit.

Man, X3 was pretty good. Too bad X1 and especially 2 were so bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Xenosaga 1 was probably the most hyped I've ever been for a video game. Maybe it's a remnant of that anticipation or nostalgia but I still kind of like it. The soundtrack is superb (although the way the game uses it is really dumb) and the battle system is fun even if the AWGS weren't used very well.

XS2 was really bad though!

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
As long as Xenoblade X carries over the same gameplay mechanics, large world, and exploration, I'll be pretty satisfied regardless of how dumb the plot and characters may turn out to be. I enjoyed just loving around and exploring the huge maps the most and getting to do all of that while piloting a giant robot sounds pretty sweet to me.

And yeah, they should just cut 75% of the sidequests and go for quality over quantity. As well as markers on the map to show where each NPC is because the most tedious part of the game for me was having to look up where exactly they are since there's so many to keep track of. Which is weird, because they tried to cut out the tedious bullshit everywhere else. I still never completed Colony 6 either because one of the final construction things needed two of a drop that appeared like 6% of the time. That sucked, the item never dropped even after running through the area about seven times.

Oh and nice of Chugga to be giving out those games. Maybe I can finally convince some friends of mine to play it since they don't want to pay the full price for a used Wii game. At least copies aren't that hard to find in stores now I think, I saw four of them at my local Gamestop last month.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

planetarial posted:

And yeah, they should just cut 75% of the sidequests and go for quality over quantity.
And if that remaining 25% is as good/ridiculous as the Nopon drug ring quest, I will be very happy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Xenosaga 1 was probably the most hyped I've ever been for a video game. Maybe it's a remnant of that anticipation or nostalgia but I still kind of like it. The soundtrack is superb (although the way the game uses it is really dumb) and the battle system is fun even if the AWGS weren't used very well.

XS2 was really bad though!
Xenosaga 1 wasn't terrible, it even has that fun game-breaking robot you collect together, but I didn't play an RPG inbetween Xenosaga 2 and Persona 3: FES, and I only played Persona 3 at people's insistence. I thought that I had, like, suddenly grew aware of all the bad things about jRPGs and could no longer stand them, but after P3:FES and playing other games I realized no, Xenosaga 2 just really, really, really, really sucks.

I don't think Xenoblade is the best game (I wish I could combine Xenoblade's world/setting/exploration with FF12's combat), but it's so much better than Xenosaga 2, and as long as it sticks to the Xenoblade gameplay systems and doesn't stick its head up its rear end with 60 hours of cutscenes, it'll be okay. Having a silent protagonist probably helps increase the chances that the cutscenes won't get too nuts.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Is there a decent, high quality recording somewhere of the second time they showed the game on the Treehouse stream?

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
It seems like xenoblade was the first game where the head developer didn't bite off more than he could chew. X looks to me to be at least as ambitious a story as xenogears. I hope the guy pulls it off.

I (maybe luckily) never played any of the xenosagas. If they have another citan type person I Hope he is just as big an rear end in a top hat.

I Have been waiting to run around the inside of a Giant 3d hd yggdrasil since i was 13. The mech designs look awesome for this.

I wish they could incorporate all the old crazy combos from centers xenogears somehow.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I wonder how they'll pull off having a cool setting. Just landing on a planet sounds boring if that planet isn't ridiculous in every way, compared to living on two giant bodies and every area of the game reminding you so (holy poo poo the scale of it in some zones blew my mind).

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dunban posted:

Is there a decent, high quality recording somewhere of the second time they showed the game on the Treehouse stream?

Nintendo finally has the streams back up on Twitch archived. X is around the 3:55 mark (from the Day 3 stream)

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/b/537795858

edit:

What a lovely main character.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You think they're going to make this a Gamestop exclusive or is it going to get a real release?

Would be nice if they packed in both games like Bayonetta.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I know that I am going to copy one of the other characters and then make them as ugly as possible while retaining a vague resemblance. Character creators aren't much for built-in narratives, but they can't be matched for comedy.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

You think they're going to make this a Gamestop exclusive or is it going to get a real release?

Would be nice if they packed in both games like Bayonetta.

It's being localized here without needing Gamestop to release it.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
Another Wii exclusive? Wish they'd port Xenoblade to PC. I dont care much for jRPGs but Xenoblade was a lot of fun to run around in.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Monolith Soft is a Nintendo first party studio, a PC version is never happening.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think Xenoblade is the best game (I wish I could combine Xenoblade's world/setting/exploration with FF12's combat)

This is kind of how I feel as well. It seemed like a waste to give each character their own distinct selection of abilities but only give you control over one at a time. If there was some FF12-style programmability and the ability to shift control mid-combat, it would have been a lot more fun.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

evilalien posted:

Monolith Soft is a Nintendo first party studio, a PC version is never happening.

In the end PC gaming consumes all

If not now then years later, PC gaming shall devour everything, it is inevitable like the endless march of time.

You can buy Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo on steam.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Taint Reaper posted:

In the end PC gaming consumes all

If not now then years later, PC gaming shall devour everything, it is inevitable like the endless march of time.

You can buy Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo on steam.

Not so much champ. PC gaming is more or less non existent in Japan. Since the developer is Japanese, you can safely bet your life's savings that they wouldn't consider a PC port even if they weren't tethered to Nintendo.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not so much champ. PC gaming is more or less non existent in Japan. Since the developer is Japanese, you can safely bet your life's savings that they wouldn't consider a PC port even if they weren't tethered to Nintendo.

True to your username (:v:), you've missed that more Japanese devs are making PC ports every year. It's growing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nookovian-Red posted:

Another Wii exclusive? Wish they'd port Xenoblade to PC. I dont care much for jRPGs but Xenoblade was a lot of fun to run around in.

Emulators :ssh: :filez:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Friendly Factory posted:

True to your username (:v:), you've missed that more Japanese devs are making PC ports every year. It's growing.

I'm aware. It doesn't really change the truth of the market, nor does it make what I said any less true.

It's changing, slowly, but for developers who only give the most token of fucks about overseas markets not any time soon.

Which leads us to the point: Your default assumption with Japanese developers should be "don't expect this on PC soon if at all"

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 15, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Melia's really good. :stare:

Discharging Bolt does way more damage than everything than Shulk's backstab. Her AI is horrible, but sheesh it would be silly to not run with her as the PC.

Melia + Sharla + Dunban's kicking some major butt at the Makna Forest. :allears: This game is so, so good.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Kirios posted:

Melia's really good. :stare:

Discharging Bolt does way more damage than everything than Shulk's backstab. Her AI is horrible, but sheesh it would be silly to not run with her as the PC.

Melia + Sharla + Dunban's kicking some major butt at the Makna Forest. :allears: This game is so, so good.
Try swapping out Sharla for Shulk, you'll lose survivability but you won't need it, everything will explode before it touches you

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What about on named enemies? Bosses? I've fought guys even 1-2 levels lower than me that would have likely decimated me if it weren't for Sharla's heals.

Plus I don't really care for Shulk's AI...I got pretty sick of waiting 45 seconds for an Enchant and front-facing Backstabs. Is Riki any good? He seems like he kind of sucks.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

pichupal posted:

Nintendo finally has the streams back up on Twitch archived. X is around the 3:55 mark (from the Day 3 stream)

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/b/537795858

Thanks. I'll post this in the OP.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Pretty much every character is pretty drat good when you control them, it's mostly about which character the AI controls worse. FWIW I think Melia's AI is more productive than Shulk's.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Kirios posted:

What about on named enemies? Bosses? I've fought guys even 1-2 levels lower than me that would have likely decimated me if it weren't for Sharla's heals.

Plus I don't really care for Shulk's AI...I got pretty sick of waiting 45 seconds for an Enchant and front-facing Backstabs. Is Riki any good? He seems like he kind of sucks.
Hmm, at this point it might be worth sticking with a healer but later on you can definitely go after bosses without her, the great thing about the game is that all party combinations are at least viable and most of the best (most brokenly amazing) ones don't involve Sharla at all

Riki is fantastic. You might not be far enough into using them to have all of Melia and Riki's best arts, but once you get them you can absolutely tear poo poo up with constant chain attacks and DoTs, they're the best

Combine that with the talents that let you heal on activating a chain attack and you can melt anything in your path

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Kirios posted:

The great heropon is surprisingly awesome and a good sub for sharla. He has a decent cone heal and has things to cause the party gauge to fill faster, allowing for rapid chain attacks, which with the right skills also heal you in addition to letting you get more of his heal cast if necessary. My party through most of the game was dunban, Riki, and then a focused damage dealer.

I don't really wish the combat was like ff12, but I do wish the ai was smarter about using some abilities, like holding on to a topple ability until I inflicted break so it was easier to knock down enemies outside of chain attacks.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kirios posted:

You'd be surprised how well you can fare without Sharla. When Sharla's in your party, enemies die much slower, and she makes chain attacks terrible because she mostly has blue moves (you get bonuses for using moves of the same color all in a row). Remove her from your party, and slap all of the "this character heals for X% after a chain attack" skills on your party members. Then focus on doing chain attacks as often as possible. Enjoy.

Riki is one of the better characters, especially for high level bosses. He gets several moves that inflict damage over time (like poison, burning, etc.), no enemy is immune to them, they each stack separately, and if you use them as the fourth or fifth move in a chain attack, the damage over time jumps ridiculously high (over 10k damage per second, depending on how well leveled the skills are). If you're worried about healing, Riki's got a move that'll heal himself and at least one other person.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The thing about Xenoblade that is different from basically every other RPG is that the more diversity you have in your moveset and the less focused the character is on one specific thing, the better it is. Riki has access to some good physical and great magical attacks and some ridiculously good support and healing, plus he's got the biggest HP stat out of all the characters, even more than Reyn, so he can absorb a few hits too. Dunban is a better tank than Reyn since it's easy to pump up his agility and just have him dodge everything while still doing awesome amounts of damage... Sharla is easily the worst party member just because she's so laser-focused on healing, she slows down the combat so much that that healing becomes required. That's just my opinion though, I never found much of a use for her, but if you can, great! Do so. Melia is sort of an exception, since even though she does have access to buffs, status ailments, healing, and a sweet Topple combo, you mainly want to use her for MAXIMUM LIGHTNING BOLT.

Basically, once I finally got Riki I experimented a bit, but stuck with Shulk/Dunban/Riki for the rest of the game for maximum hero-power.

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 16, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
The team that has always worked for me in tight situations is player controlled Melia for lightning damage stacks, Sharla for healing, and Riki for aggro draw.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sharla's useful when you're fighting things you honestly shouldn't be fighting, in conjunction with Riki and Seven to keep high-damage chains with high team evasion going. You can get enough blue to transition through white (white/special chains with any color like a wildcard) that way.

Normal healing is best accomplished through putting down the enemy quick enough, and ability-linking "Heal from chain attacks" on everybody. Once you're good at getting and maintaining chains, you'll be healing plenty while taking little damage in return.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Confirming that my playthrough of Xenoblade got way more fun when I shelved Sharla and learned to love the "heal from chain attacks"/Light Heal spam that accompanies the dps you put out as a Not-Sharla team.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
For real though, the only time you ever need Sharla is when battles are dragging on too long from you having Sharla in your party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NTT posted:

Confirming that my playthrough of Xenoblade got way more fun when I shelved Sharla and learned to love the "heal from chain attacks"/Light Heal spam that accompanies the dps you put out as a Not-Sharla team.

This happened right when I recruited Seven and finally trusted this thread at arm's length again.

Holy gently caress, the entire game changed.

• Locked thread