Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren - Will: 6/6 Vitae: 11/11 Status: Meditated

Loren slides the card with its note into the pocket of her baggy dark blue jeans, then lifts the plant onto the counter of the reception desk. Someone can look up whether it would survive in the garden later. Doesn't look likely, though, probably something tropical. Whatever it is that Victoria wants, she can figure that out later herself. For now, she gives herself one last check over to make sure her knives are secure, the body armor is as comfortable as can be, and her black courier bag's red cross symbol is turned towards her body, then she flips up the hood of her baggy dark grey sweatshirt and makes her way on foot to Alistair's place.

-It took Loren an hour to meditate: http://orokos.com/roll/200563 http://orokos.com/roll/200564
-I rolled my own starting Vitae pool: http://orokos.com/roll/200732 Bah!
-Took 7 of 10 available Vitae from Herd.
-Body armor = kevlar vest

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren waits for Roshan to close the distance between them, then asks very quietly, "Are you ok?"

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

By the time Loren had worked out that Roshan was joking, he was past her and into the bar.

She listens to Alistair's welcome and offer of space with a friendly noncommittal nod. Regarding his plan of action, she has some doubts. "While it's possible that I may be the best driver and the best in a fight, I don't know if I'm the best backup. I just don't look very intimidating." She looks around the group, trying to think of a polite way to say it, then forges ahead. "I'm not sure any of us are, really. But if I were closer to the center of things, it might serve two purposes. One, I'll actually be in position to defend us, if needed. Two, I would hope that I can be a calming presence, if tempers should flare."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren holds a hand out to Bob for the keys. Best to find out if he was going to have a problem with letting the Asian woman drive right up front.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren gets in the car, then spends a few minutes adjusting everything to her liking. She takes a slightly roundabout route that passes through a deserted industrial area just so she can get a feel for how it will handle when she floors it and takes corners at speed, then circles around the social club at a distance and stops about a block away to give plenty of chance for the Camarilla team to spot anything suspicious.

Figure I'll let you roll anything that might be relevant here or in similar future situations, LifeGetsWorser

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren follows behind Alistair, her ID held in hand in her hoodie's front pocket. She'd learned that the odds were high she'd be carded, despite the fact that she had been almost thirty when she stopped getting older. The fact that the pocket also held a credit card sized folding knife was a minor consideration, at the moment.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren simply sticks close to the others, letting them focus on finding their targets while she remains alert to any threats. With her hands in her pockets and her hood still up, she should look like your average socially awkward tagalong.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren turns in towards Alistair to listen to his warning, and takes advantage of the motion to transfer one of her non-folding combat knives into her right hand concealed in her front pocket. That taken care of, she takes the lead, staying close enough to Roshan that the Malkavian can guide her from behind.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Even if you want to go straight to kicking rear end, a more private setting might be nice. We wouldn't want you to lose out on this venue for future performances," adds Loren just loud enough to be heard by the singer, tilting her head back only enough to keep the whole of his body in her peripheral vision, but not enough to meet his eyes. She otherwise remains motionless.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren shakes her head. "I am a sword, Alistair, not a club, and I will not commit violence merely to enforce the Prince's will." She follows the band down the stairs.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren pushes back her hood with her left hand, then returns it to her pocket. "We're the minions and lackeys of one group of ancient monsters. Our group of ancient monsters flings its minions and lackeys at the minions and lackeys of your group of ancient monsters in hopes of gaining an inch, and vice versa. I'm here because I don't want anyone to die just because they ended up with the wrong group of ancient monsters and because I believe the Sabbat's moral stance leads to greater harm than the Camarilla's."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren nods politely. "I'm curious, who is the true enemy?"

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Thank you for your hospitality," says Loren with a brief shallow bow. She turns and motions the others toward the stairs. She lets the others lead her up the stairs, her glare at Roshan making it clear that she does not want any valiant gestures from the Malkavian or anyone else.

She turns on the bottom step to look at Keys. "If you'd like to discuss how what we're told can make us pawns, put up some posters and we can meet. Unless you were there personally for the final deaths of the Antedeluvians, of course. If you were, I'd like some tips," she adds, completely serious.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren holds up her left hand to delay Roshan while turning to the guitarist and raising her voice just slightly so he can hear her. "Are they likely to kill anyone or do they just leave behind bruises and the occasional broken bone? I'm not too worried about a brawl, these folks came for a rough kind of party, but I don't want a massacre."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Err, I'm not quite sure that came out the way you intended, Alistair. If they're not big on oral contracts, then we're set because we've got the written one. But we would like to hear you say it out loud, though, Vince. It's a dangerous situation for all of us, and the more reassurance we've got, the better."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Thanks, Vince. Good luck!"

Loren heads towards the car and waits for the others to get in. "Well, that went about as well as could be expected, I think. If we can keep violence as a last resort for self defense and insane irredeemable monsters, I think we'll get along fine. I've got a personal errand near the lake. How about I head in that direction for long enough that we can be sure no one is following and then let Bob take over the driving from there?"

Hearing no objections, she puts her plan into action, then walks to Marge's Lakeside from where she lets herself out of the car.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"It's always wise for the Prince to believe one is useful, regardless of which group he is aligned with," replies Loren mildly.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren sits, then answers the most recent question first. "Not really. It's important to know what's going on in the city so you don't get a nasty surprise, but all the power struggle stuff doesn't make anyone involved happier that I can see. As for the Prince's feelings or intentions, your guess is as good as mine, maybe better since you probably know more about the inner workings than me. No one died tonight. We'll report the details tomorrow night and see what they think."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Virginia, what you hint at happening did not happen."

"Thank you for your belief in my potential and your trust. I will not betray that trust. But I also won't act solely on your word that the leadership of the city needs to be replaced. I will observe their actions and make my own judgements. If they are truly reprehensible, I will likely aid your cause. If they're just self-interested and corrupt, I'll stay out of your way as long as you avoid atrocities of your own. But whatever I do, I will do it outside the House. I have some historical issues, yes, but mostly I don't think I can be the person I want to be in a group like that. There are no shortcuts to where I want to go."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren picks up Virginia's card and starts the very long walk home.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Be at your place in a bit," texts Loren to Alistair before sitting down to meditate.

First attempt 1 success
Second attempt 4 successes

An hour and a half later, Loren arrives at the bar, once more dressed in her court finery.

Also took one of the three remaining Vitae from Herd.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren bows and gives her report.

"There were four Sabbat present, honored elder. They were not friendly but refrained from violence even knowing we were Camarilla until we questioned the standard Sabbat world view too closely. They then threatened us and showed that they could probably win, too, so we decided to retreat and let the seeds we had planted grow. After we left the club one of the Sabbat approached us, signed the book, and said he wanted to switch sides and would send any others like him he encountered to us."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"I've got a few things to take care of back at the Center, but call me if something comes up," says Loren. She bows slightly to Roshan and Alistair and heads home.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren returns to the bar about thirty minutes after receiving Alistair's text, dressed now in her street-wandering outfit of loose pants, hoody, bulletproof vest, first-aid kit, and lots of knives. She takes a moment to think through everything she's learned as soon as the guys mention VII, holding up a hand to keep them from saying more and influencing her recall.

Int+Occult 4 + Occult Specialty in Vampires (if it applies)

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Giltheim - VII Study Session

Alistair welcomes the other two into the bar and sits them down. “My grandads cleared the place and he is, well lets just say he’s ‘kin’ and leave it at that. I think that we need to look into what we are facing here, the fact is that there is an absurd amount that we do not know about these guys. The best I have been able to find indicates they have links to a variety of myths associated with kindred lore. I believe I will need to do research for a few more nights before I can start making proper headway on this though.”

Roshan looks at the other two, thinking over what they learned. He contemplates telling them about the vision; on the one hand, it was putting far more trust in them than he has done previously, but on the other, it might be necessary. The situation was likely to get very bloody, very fast.

Loren nods along with Alistair’s request for time. “From what little I know, I think we should make one decision right now. If anyone values their unlife highly, they should leave immediately. The seven’s arrival seems to always leave little in their wake.”

Listening to Loren’s words, Roshan chuckles to himself a bit. “Well, as much as I value myself, I don’t think I am able to leave. Tell me, are you two familiar with the… Legacy of my clan? The ‘connection’ we have to each other?”

“Dribs and drabs only. More rumour than anything else, why is there something more we need to know about the oracles?” Alistair leans forward to listen to Roshan, the scholar in him coming out in full force.

“There is a…” Roshan seems to be fishing around for a word, “A ‘network’ that links our minds, so to say. It is not only the likely source of our prescience and the reason we play the seer as much as we do the fool, but a way for us to… ‘Communicate’ with one another. Usually unintentionally, but some can put out a Call deliberately.

“Last night, Cyril Giovanni appeared to me while I was walking here. In my head, I mean. He warned me to look out for ‘them’, that he couldn’t see them but I could. He seemed to be terrified. Then, when I looked at those seven earlier, images appeared around them, in a manner similar to that vision.” He pauses, thinking. “So, basically, I do not think that I can avoid this, because, on whatever level he is aware of it, the Primogen has tasked me to do something about this. Assuming I’m not crazy, at least.” He smiles, possibly sincerely.

“I think judging by the poo poo we have seen over the last few nights, sanity may only be a relative term. But if that is the case, would it be possible to warn all of the other Malkavians in the city of the possibility of infiltration? At the very least it could buy us some allies. And thanks for bringing this up Roshan, it is always helpful.”

“Do we know for sure that none of the seven are Malkavian themselves?” asks Loren.

“As far as I could tell, no. We can generally, though not always, identify each other. As for warning the clan… On some level, many are probably already aware of it. We all know what each other knows, we just don’t know it most of the time. Expect to start seeing fewer of us on the street and even in Elysium these coming nights, though. A deliberate message, at least to the entire city, meanwhile… That is beyond me, at any rate.”

“Bollocks. Still not exactly unexpected. I am going to spend the next few nights doing research, but again I would like to offer this building as a potential hold out for us all. Speaking of ‘all of us’ where the heck is Bob? Has anyone seen him? I must admit I am getting a bit worried, we could use someone to talk to others and see what they do, or don’t, know.”

“The preacher’s actions are beyond me. Perhaps he is busy tending to his flock,” responded Roshan. Loren shrugged agreement. Alistair nods “More than likely”.

“The few tidbits I remember make me think the humans probably are not in any more danger than usual, otherwise I’d probably be trying to organize the Center to evacuate,” she adds.

“Well that is good at least, but if they target us, and have some sort of connection to the nether reaches of our society… Well I think we should start preparing our defences, Loren, would you mind awfully helping out here to do that tonight? I will get on with reading up, and Roshan if you would not mind helping me that would be fantastic.” Alistair sighs. “At the moment we need to get the stores ready, I think the next few nights are going to be, as always, fraught with interest.”

“I’m happy to stay, if you’ve got three things to read, I can even try to help out there too. I did go to college, after all,” says Loren with a light tone to make it clear she took no offense. It was only two years at community college, too, but she sees no need to bring that up at the moment.

“I would be more than willing to assist; I too enjoyed a brief time in academia. I could also contact my fellows in the Ordo; the Defiant are a well of esoteric knowledge. I won’t tell them that the seven are in town, though, as much to avoid their reaction as to avoid the hunters’.”

“Sounds good. Alright team. Lets get to work on making this work. I have my library upstairs so please feel free to make use of it. I’ll start work on lilith, my first love was always the near eastern myths, would you like to work on Enoch Roshan? and Loren would you like to work on the land of Nod?” Alistair is slipping fully into his element, at least at this stage we could try and know the enemy before the fight began. When it actually began though, who knows how much use the information would be.

“Of course,” says Loren.

“Very well.” Roshan finds his task amusing, somewhat; Malkav is supposedly one of Enoch’s childer, so it is a rather appropriate task for him.

Work divided, the three vampires set to their studies.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"I think the thing we are missing is their motivation. That's the key to defeating them, and the key to finding the right allies. Whoever and whatever they are, we're not going to beat them without help."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Slightly worried by Alistair's ferocity, Loren says only, "I'm not sure we need to be quite so aggressive as that, Alistair. Another person we might try to talk to instead is the Sheriff. This does seem like the kind of thing Sheriffs are supposed to handle. Also, I think the odds of at least one of the Tremere being a leak are pretty high, and they do tend to share information with each other."

"Roshan, unless your errands require complete privacy, maybe we should stick together. Get the word on the street, then all go together to Elysium to put Alistair's plan in motion. It just seems like the kind of thing where asking questions of the wrong person alone could get you jumped."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Sounds good," responds Loren. She makes her way towards Ramon and waits for his attention. When he is free, she bows slightly. "Do you know where the Sheriff is this evening?"

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"I apologize, honored elder, if I have been rude," replies Loren with another bow. "The proper behavior for polite society is not my strength. My name is Loren Chancellor, and I wish to speak with the Sheriff about a security matter. I don't know exactly how serious it is, but I am willing to face the Sheriff's displeasure if she thinks it is not important enough to be worth her time."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren shakes her head, gesturing for Ramon to go ahead and make his call.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Namaste, Sheriff. Thank you for your time. It's Loren Chancellor, Si Thep's childe. I helped with a small security matter last year. I've come across something that worries me and I'd like to tell you more about it in a less crowded location that's convenient for you." Loren does her best to avoid rushing or letting her nervousness about approaching the Sheriff overwhelm her. Hopefully her sincerity will be clear through the phone.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"It sounds like you could use a hand, Sheriff. Maybe I can come help out and explain while I work?" suggests Loren diffidently.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"Thank you, honored Elder. I'll be there as soon as I can," says Loren, ending the call and handing the phone back to Ramon. She bows to him once more. "Thank you for your help, too, Keeper. We'll hope it's nothing and all that happens is the Sheriff gets to yell at me for a bit," she adds with a wry smile.

With a last bow of her head, Loren leaves Ramon and wanders off in search of Roshan and Alistair.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Catching sight of Alistair approaching, Loren waits for Roshan to glance her way once more, then inclines her head slightly in the direction of the exit.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren places fist to palm before her and bows to Benjamin. "Namaste, Roshan's friend. I've got an errand for us to do, if you folks are done here for the evening." She meets Roshan's eyes and tilts her head slightly in inquiry regarding the new addition.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"We're going to give the person I wanted to talk to tonight a hand at the morgue and get our opportunity to present our concerns in exchange."

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

"My apologies, honored Elder," says Loren, with a fairly deep bow. "Our trail of evidence is thin, and I thought you might like each piece available to talk to. Are we safe to proceed here?" she asks.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren walks slowly around the corpse, careful to avoid touching it or interfering with Benjamin's work. She stares at the corpse for a time after completing her circuit.

"A Monster," she whispers. "Descended from the Mother of Monsters," she continues slowly and unhappily, voice rising to normal volume.

She turns to face the Sheriff. Roshan had seen something, she would wager, but he had given no warning. Sometimes it was best to rip the bandage off in one quick motion. "We have reason to believe, Honored Elder, that the seven, the Vee-Eye-Eye, are active in Rochester or soon will be."

Int/Wits 2, Investigation 2, Medicine 4 (Emergency Medicine), Occult 2 (Vampires), some of which may be relevant.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren - Will: 5/6 Vitae: 11/11 Status: Meditated

"He was definitely a Nosferatu," says Loren of the corpse before returning to her primary topic of interest.

"I'm not asking for you to go the Prince and Primogen, actually. I think they'd react with amused dismissal, just as you are. What I want is for you to be forewarned, to hear Roshan's descriptions of his visions and the kindred he saw them for. I want you to be wary if you see them all together some night. I want your escape plans and backup plans and countercoup plans to include the insane possibility that the myths have some measure of truth. Most of all, I want you to have some people you can call to guard your back if the unthinkable does occur and it's no longer possible to know who to trust."

Spending a Willpower to add 3 dice. Hoping Presence+Expression works because I've got a 5 in that. Presence+Persuasion is only 3.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Loren - Will: 5/6 Vitae: 11/11 Status: Meditated

"I could do an initial trip around campus tonight just to get a feel for it, if anyone else is able to come along after Roshan talks to the Sheriff."

• Locked thread