Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pierson posted:

It has been a while since I read this but I remember losing patience with the book when the I-Ching was being manipulated or something by people from our timeline to tell the people in the book that theirs was the incorrect timeline. It went from alt-history to flat-out sci-fi and I was annoyed by that since it was perfectly good before that little revelation. At least that's how I remember it going down.

On the other hand, the alternate history novel referenced within the book clearly describes a timeline that isn't ours either, so everything's all wrong in any case. Dick was a pretty weird guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Also some of the sailors gently caress the lemurs. That's an important plot element, y'know.

I can't actually recall that happening for sure. It is joked about some, though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I've just recently read two separate "Germany wins WW2 (sort of)" books by authors whose usual genre is not alternate history or science fiction but rather espionage and/or mystery fiction:

SS-GB by Len Deighton, published in 1978. This is set in 1941, only a year after Germany successfully invades and occupies Britain; starts out as a plain old murder mystery starring a Scotland Yard detective, ends up a big-stakes spy thriller. Leaving aside the implausibility of the situation as such, I found it very fine, inducing claustrophobia and paranoia as a good spy thriller should. Concise and effective, Deighton knew how to write and I guess I'll be checking out more of his work.

Dominion by C.J. Sansom, published far more recently in 2012. The scenario here seems more plausible [1]; Germany never invaded but a settlement was reached after Dunkirk and the fall of France, and by 1952 Britain has slid ever further towards proper Fascism and is basically a junior partner to Germany. Germany captured Moscow and killed Stalin in 1941 but the war in the East drags on and on anyway bleeding both sides ever whiter; Hitler is rumoured to be near death from Parkinson's disease and the vultures are circling; everything sucks really hard for everyone. Still have about 20% left of this book but so far I'll recommend it highly. There are more viewpoint characters and Sansom gets into their different heads with more detail.

[1] And actually reminds me a lot of Jo Walton's Farthing and sequels.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah Man posted:

This is the best description of this series I've seen yet.

Be aware that it's turned into this huge loving shared-world thing involving a bunch of different authors and some of those are... not good at all.

Personally I'm just sticking to the ones that at least have Eric Flint's name on the cover.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Also short of massive incompetence on the allied side and perfect "play" on the german side Hitler is not going to win anything like a remotely historical world war.

Massive Allied incompetence (at least to start with) and unreasonable luck on the German side (if not perfect play; they had their own massive helpings of incompetence) is arguably what got us the historical result anyway. Germany was doomed out of the starting gate and it's kind of incredible that they managed to last as long as they did.

• Locked thread