Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How are the books 1945 and 1945:Red Inferno by Robert Conroy are they any good? I've never read any of his stuff, but seeing what people had to say about 1862 and 1901 I'm getting kind of worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

Robert_Conroy.jpg

Bonus: Found whatever this is

Now that doesn't too awful, but something like a really cheesy B action movie. Is that whats to be expected from his work? Or is there something more insidious I'm missing. Though reading this

quote:

To win World War II, the Allies dealt with the devil. Joseph Stalin helped FDR, Churchill, and Truman crush Hitler. But what if “Uncle Joe” had given in to his desire to possess Germany and all of Europe? In this stunning novel, Robert Conroy picks up the history of the war just as American troops cross the Elbe into Germany. Then Stalin slams them with the brute force of his enormous Soviet army.

does not fill me with high expectations since this would mean the Americans are entering Germany from the wrong direction and why just go out to make the Soviets cartoon evil when you can do Operation Unthinkable, but I guess he jsut had to make those vile commies the aggressor :ussr: Maybe I'll get around to reading it I picked that and 1945 up a few years ago when looking for Alt History that wasn't Harry Turtledove, but I always end up buying more books than I have time to read so I'm a bit far behind.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I've read red inferno. WW3 starts because a unit of shermans mistakes some t34s for panzers, firing on them. this sparks a soviet response which ends with the nuking of three soviet field armies and the overthrow of stalin.

I think I rolled my eyes so hard at that I think I went blind for a bit. Well that can be shifted down to much later on the old reading queue. Bright side I guess is I didn't pay for it so no skin off my back.

Though it's quite surprising how different what happens in the book is to what the amazon description is.

In other news I just did buy a book called Over The Top a collection of what if The Great War had gone differently stories, looks to be one about what if the Germans had just attacked Russia, what if Jutland had been more decisive. I'll probably read that next when I finish the book I'm currently reading.

And to go back to an earlier point of discuss that the field of Alt History stories does seem to be populated by a lot of reactionaries or at least a lot of reactionary thought. I think the philosopher Slavoj Zizke wrote an essay about that I recall reading a few years ago, when I'm not posting from my phone I'll go see if can find it or if I'm misremembering and it was just something he mentioned in one of his books.

• Locked thread