Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Any recommendations on alt-history JFK books? I really enjoyed American Tabloid, which wasn't exactly alt-history but a thrilling fictional account of the assassination and events leading up to it. I'm aware there are sequels to it which are certainly on my list. Also I just finished Surrounded by Enemies by Bryce Zabel which considers a botched assassination and the Kennedy administration thereafter which I loved. I'd be interested to read more along those lines.

Basticle posted:

My favorite alternate history novel was written by Harry Turtledove and, bizarrely, actor Richard Dreyfus. The Two Georges takes place (IIRC) in the 1970s and assumes that the American Revolution never happened. The US/Canada are one big steam powered zeppelin-flying colony. The best part about this book is its actually more of a mystery novel, with the main characters being Royal American Mounted Police detectives trying to hunt down a stolen painting depicting George III & George Washington.

This is a great book. I first heard about it in a thread here complaining about steampunk (which is 99% crap) as an example of a good steampunk novel. I'm a big Turtledove fan, but a good number of his books are pretty lazy, and if you read a lot of them in a row (which I have done on several occasions) you start to find the grid in a way. You can see the pattern he follows and it kind of damps the enjoyment a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Nckdictator posted:

The Winterberry is a gloomy short story dealing with that very subject.

That looks good, I'll give it a try, thanks!

• Locked thread