Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Give him a break there were probably a few actual cults that somehow integrated Everquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Clive Barker's Undying is a pretty cool game that sold poorly.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Eternal Eyes on the PSX, that I'm pretty sure me and like five other people maybe played (there isn't even some :spergin: fan to make it a Wikipedia page). FFT/Tactics Ogre style SRPG. The story is pretty crap, and the difficulty curve kind of trends downward, but the evolution system for your created party members (pretty much everything in your party is a monster you make) keeps me going back.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

We goin' cult? Civilization's superior but financially disappointing spinoff Alpha Centauri is still one of the best turn based strategies ever made, and still completely playable. There's no way the upcomming somewhat similarly themed Civ title is going to come close to the charm of AC. Great story flavor text and the CGI scenes fit perfectly with the dark undertones the story threw at you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Killer 7

I absolutely love Suda51 and this was the game that made me love his work. Its gameplay is very basic but that's not why it's worth playing. It's unique, bizarre, complex, and absolutely oozes style. Another great argument for games as art.

I love Killer7 but it is kind of lovely that the past few "Suda 51" games have had little to no actual involvement from him. Taking anime bullshit and slapping a weird filter and a few non sequiturs on it doesn't make it the next Killer 7 *cough Killer is Dead cough*

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

We goin' cult? Civilization's superior but financially disappointing spinoff Alpha Centauri is still one of the best turn based strategies ever made, and still completely playable. There's no way the upcomming somewhat similarly themed Civ title is going to come close to the charm of AC. Great story flavor text and the CGI scenes fit perfectly with the dark undertones the story threw at you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Reception

I don't think you understand 'cult' games.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Reception

I don't think you understand 'cult' games.

You dont understand hyperlinks *or* cult status

quote:

However, despite its critical reception, it sold the fewest copies of all the games in the Civilization series.[18] It sold more than 100,000 copies in its first two months of release. This was followed by 50,000 copies in April, May and June.

The game was a bomb on the market and went on to be loved *later* and is still played. Its cult by every definition.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

You dont understand hyperlinks *or* cult status

The game was a bomb on the market and went on to be loved *later* and is still played. Its cult by every definition.

:negative: My shame in only partially reading it, and messing up the link.

I just remember me and all my friends had it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Another great original Xbox game was Deathrow. It was basically ultimate frisbee where you can beat the crap out of each other. It's big feature was 16 player multiplayer, but it was before Xbox Live, so I've only played the single player. :(

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

Remember those bad movie-point-click hybrids that came out somewhere in the mid-90s for PC? Well, Phantasmagoria is one of the only good examples of an instance in which that worked. It's basically a video game version of "The Shining" and it's both campy and creepy as hell. I played it twice as a kid and found it absolutely fascinating and terrifying at the same time. There's even a chase scene at the end wherein there are literally dozens of ways it can play out, depending on where you choose to go, what you pick up, ect. Here's a video which sums it up pretty well: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s00Gd4WsYlc)

I'm pretty sure it's Abandonware now but the file size is a tad too large to merit a download from me. The sequel kind of sucked however and was about computer nerds and aliens.

gently caress this loving game. The final death in the game where the monster rips apart the main character's head if it catches her still fucks with my mind to this day.

Caros fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 14, 2014

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
M.A.X.: Mechanized Assault & Exploration (1996)

This game was so loving far ahead of the curve it's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure someone has put out a patch that allows it to be played with proper multiplayer hosting (since that was before its time).

Snag this game for two bucks on GoG if you're a fan of turn based strategy, especially if you can play it multiplayer, hot-seat or otherwise.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Magic_Anthrax_Ninja posted:

Little big adventure, otherwise called relentless.

This game is old as poo poo and graphics wise is really quite dated but has a great soundtrack and is quite
a compelling quest type game.

I looove the poo poo out of both LBA games and I think they're massively and unjustly underrated.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

nucleicmaxid posted:

:negative: My shame in only partially reading it, and messing up the link.

I just remember me and all my friends had it.

Probably because it had no copy protection. The guy who built me my first Pentium installed a copy off his disc without me asking, my introduction to software piracy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I always enjoyed the The Last Express by Jordan Mechner of Prince of Persia fame. Unfortunately, because Broderbund went belly up very soon after it was released by being bought by the Learning Company, in addition to their entire marketing department quitting weeks before launch, it's regarded as one of the greatest videogame flops. It only managed to sell 100,000 copies, 1 million copies shy of breaking even on the 6 million dollar development costs. Debuting in 1997 after 5 years of development which included people flying out to Europe to look at actual Orient Express railcars, by holiday 1998 it was out of print. Gamasutra has a great postmortem on what happened:

quote:

In 1997, Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner's studio Smoking Car Productions released The Last Express, an ambitious adventure game that played out as a tense train ride through Europe, in a compressed real-time version of the three days preceding the outbreak of World War I. Its unusual rotoscoped animation style echoed the elegant Art Nouveau movement that collapsed as war broke out.

Upon release, the game was hailed as an achievement, winning a number of adventure game of the year awards in the gaming press and receiving acclaim from outlets like Newsweek, MSNBC, and USA Today in an era when such mainstream attention to games was rare.

But The Last Express had taken four years to develop and was wildly over-budget, in no small part due to the copious amounts of investment and time required to execute its film shoots and proprietary animation techniques. Furthermore, publisher Broderbund had recently lost its entire marketing staff, resulting in a dearth of advertising for the game.

To make matters worse, key publishing partners fell through and Broderbund was acquired by The Learning Company, focusing its scope to educational titles -- all of which meant The Last Express was soon out of publication, unable to reach the long tail sales on which adventure games traditionally had thrived.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3862/the_last_express_revisiting_an_.php

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Clive Barker's Undying is a pretty cool game that sold poorly.

I had that and it was pretty good. It was mostly exploring a very empty, atmospheric old mansion and it's surrounding grounds with occasional FPS sections that didn't really seem to fit in with the rest but were still pretty fun and a nice break from the creepy exploration. It was one of the earlier games that had a two handed setup where you fire weapons with one hand and cast magic with the other, like Bioshock, and it had this semi-interesting "Scry" feature that I felt was underused. Occasionally the game would whisper "Scry" and if you activated your scry power some part of the environment would be different or sometimes you would see a ghost. I was pretty disappointed with it as it was never as scary as some other parts of the game, because you knew you were about to see something and chose when you were going to see it. Then this repetitiveness paid off - through at least half the game the only time the scry power showed you anything was when the game gave you the audio notification. The only other time I used it was when I was in a dark area because it let you see in the dark at a short range. One time I'm exploring an old ruined monastery in one of the "safe spooky exploration" sections of the game, and there's a corner that is too dark for me to see if there might be a door or something, so I hit the scry button...and suddenly I'm surrounded by a crowd of ghostly monks just milling about slowly, more characters on the screen than I've ever seen. It was probably one of the most effective scares in the game which is funny considering some of the freaky stuff that the game had.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ramadu posted:

Everquest very much doesn't go here. In no way shape or form is loving Everquest a "cult game." :wtc:

Are you kidding me? I'd say it definitely has cult status now. How many MMO's have come and gone, yet EQ remains active with ACTUAL PAYING MEMBERS. A small, but dedicated group of players does a cult game make.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
That Xbox game Breakdown, where it's a first person punching game with a huge extensive complex FPKarate system and a sci-fi thriller plot. Then partway through you get superpowers and a glowing fist and start beating up buff bald naked alien guys. It was great.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Under the vegetable posted:

That Xbox game Breakdown, where it's a first person punching game with a huge extensive complex FPKarate system and a sci-fi thriller plot. Then partway through you get superpowers and a glowing fist and start beating up buff bald naked alien guys. It was great.

I forgot all about that game drat, thing was cool though. I remember renting it and just jamming through the story after some point, couldn't tell you any specifics to save my life other than later on you got a big rear end laser cannon thing and tore poo poo up. Also the buff guy with white hair and the crazy purpley stuff all over him. :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 14, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

2004 was a weird year because Half-Life 2 got tons of acclaim for its first-person narrative and physics after Breakdown and Psi-Ops had already beaten it to the punch on consoles.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Don't forget the first person vomiting scene! If they just fixed the rough difficulty curve (even on easy) and weirdly repeated final segment it would still be great today.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Snyderman posted:

Don't forget the first person vomiting scene!

Revolutionizing the world of first-person burger eating.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I feel like Dustforce might qualify here? It didn't sell a huge amount but it has a super dedicated fanbase.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I don't know if these games ever achieved enough of a following to actually be called "cult," but the original Xbox's Phantom Crash, and its clunkily-named sequel S.L.A.I.: Steel Lancer Arena International will forever be my favorite games no one recognizes. Two of the best mech combat games ever (a genre that is historically surprisingly lovely), with a fair amount of customizability and fun arena combat maps.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Transcendence has been under development since 1995. I don't know what's more surprising: that it still isn't finished, that it's still being developed, the fact that it still has a fanbase, that it's actually a good game, or that an open-source roguelike/space combat game isn't more popular because those are three things that individually are enough to drive a devoted subset of PC gamers totally bonkers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jastiger posted:

Are you kidding me? I'd say it definitely has cult status now. How many MMO's have come and gone, yet EQ remains active with ACTUAL PAYING MEMBERS. A small, but dedicated group of players does a cult game make.

Also it seemed like a lot at the time, but EQ actually had a fairly small playerbase during what people generally think of as its "peak" (launch through Planes of Power) compared to the numbers later MMO's would pull. IIRC Sony rarely released hard numbers, but one of the history of EQ things (I don't remember if it was a magazine article or what, it's been like ten years) found out that the peak amount of subs was like ~500,000 around the release of PoP. Sure a lot of games have soldiered on with much smaller bases, but that's still pretty small compared to the amount of influence the game would later have.

I think a better example of a "cult" MMO would be Shadowbane or City of Heroes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love Killer7 but it is kind of lovely that the past few "Suda 51" games have had little to no actual involvement from him. Taking anime bullshit and slapping a weird filter and a few non sequiturs on it doesn't make it the next Killer 7 *cough Killer is Dead cough*

Yeah, most of what came after has been a disappointment. I'd definitely recommend Flower, Sun, and Rain on the DS, especially now that there's an emulator that lets you play games at higher resolutions.

One of the first puzzles is a bit confusing, since it looks like one of those 'look up the manual' puzzles, where you need to enter the main character's birthday. However, it's actually blank in the manual, so you can enter any valid date. The PS2 version included a physical copy of the travel guide used to solve a lot of the puzzles, but you can access it in-game in the DS version.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Skilleddk posted:

How about Two Worlds?

Panned by critics for pretty much everything. It's so laughably bad but still kept me and many others hooked for days. The unforgettable voice acting and writing, hilarious horse control, game-breaking item stacking and alchemy, overuse of bloom / lens flare... Man I loving love this game and am seriously considering buying a used xbox360 just to play it from my couch

Two Worlds was a loving amazing game and I would happily play it over Oblivion and even Skyrim.

Whereas the Elder Scrolls games tend to have bland, samey environments and poo poo combat/mechanics, Two Worlds decides to say "gently caress that" and gives you an entire loving world to explore, with huge deserts, frozen tundras, jungles, forests, cities of the dead, lava-studded volcanoes etc and says "You want to blow poo poo up? Here you go, knock yourself out"

The game knows that it's a janky, weirdly written thing and the developers have fun with it. Two Worlds 2, on the other hand, was pretty much good enough to not be Two Worlds, and bad enough to not be anything better.

Anyway, I'm going to nominate Nier. Hardly anyone played it, but god it was a loving amazing game. The gameplay was actually pretty fun, the story was amazing, and the way they managed to tie the narrative with the gameplay to the point where the final ending deletes all your saves, leaving nothing was utterly fantastic. That game was a punch to the gut.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, most of what came after has been a disappointment. I'd definitely recommend Flower, Sun, and Rain on the DS, especially now that there's an emulator that lets you play games at higher resolutions.
I'd argue that No More Heroes was still real good and fits the cult game bill as well. No More Heroes could get repetitive at times, but the combat was fun and the off the wall boss fights were the best parts of the gameplay. What really makes it a classic though is its satirical takedown of nerds/gamers. Travis isn't a badass, he's a total loser that lives in a motel room, he barely has any friends, he has no ambitions so he just works crappy dead end jobs so he can buy more creepy anime crap, and through the entirety of the game he's being played like a fiddle.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hogs of War, also a good game maybe with a cult following (bit like Worms but with things like turrets before Microprose or whatever they're called nowadays got around to it), rip Rik Mayall.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
Lots of people in this thread that do not have the slightiest idea about what a 'cult game' is. Actual examples, many of which have already been noted in this thread:

- King of Dragon Pass
- Star Control 2
- X-Wing / TIE Fighter
- Wizardry series
- Planescape: Torment.
- Metal Slug series.
- Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Games that are not:
- Fallout: New Vegas
- "I game I happened to enjoy on the Saturn"

Almost Completely Unknown Personal Pick: The Grandest Fleet.

EDIT: holy gently caress, I forgot to mention Jagged Alliance 2.

mastervj fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 14, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

mastervj posted:

Lots of people in this thread that do not have the slightiest idea about what a 'cult game' is. Actual examples, many of which have already been noted in this thread:

- King of Dragon Pass
- Star Control 2
- X-Wing / TIE Fighter
- Wizardry series
- Planescape: Torment.
- Metal Slug series.
- Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Games that are not:
- Fallout: New Vegas
- "I game I happened to enjoy on the Saturn"

Almost Completely Unknown Personal Pick: The Grandest Fleet.

EDIT: holy gently caress, I forgot to mention Jagged Alliance 2.

Tell us more about how everyone else is wrong and how you're right and know all about all the cult games, o cult game master "mastervj" (the master of video james)

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

gay skull posted:

Tell us more about how everyone else is wrong and how you're right and know all about all the cult games, o cult game master "mastervj" (the master of video james)

A cult game is a game that has a cult following? I mean, cool games are cool games, but why would you use the term 'cult game' for something other than:
a)...a game that is somewhat old and not that widely known AND
b)...has a small but dedicated, player base?

And I didn't choose my user name, although I guess right now it's like the worst user id I could have.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

mastervj posted:

A cult game is a game that has a cult following? I mean, cool games are cool games, but why would you use the term 'cult game' for something other than:
a)...a game that is somewhat old and not that widely known AND
b)...has a small but dedicated, player base?

And I didn't choose my user name, although I guess right now it's like the worst user id I could have.

If we're going to be pedantic fuckwads about the whole affair, a "cult" anything is just something that has a passionate fanbase. Size is irrelevant; it's about the game (or movie, in the original use of the term) being played multiple times and serving as a point of cultural connection for it's fanbase as a social group.

So yes, for the people who still play it, Everquest is a cult game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like that the people in this thread that yell at others for not following the definition of a cult game dismiss games that actually do fit the definition. (There are several Saturn games that are cult games, dude. i.e. Grandia, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, Lunar.)

To add some more actual content, Beyond Good and Evil. Headed by Rayman creator, Michel Ancel, BG&E is 3D platformer well remembered for its charm, likable characters, and interesting world. The game sold poorly though and it ended on a huge cliffhanger. People started to appreciate it over time and now its one of the biggest examples of a cult classic game. It's been more than a decade since its release and people are still waiting for a sequel that may never come.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

I'd argue that No More Heroes was still real good and fits the cult game bill as well. No More Heroes could get repetitive at times, but the combat was fun and the off the wall boss fights were the best parts of the gameplay. What really makes it a classic though is its satirical takedown of nerds/gamers. Travis isn't a badass, he's a total loser that lives in a motel room, he barely has any friends, he has no ambitions so he just works crappy dead end jobs so he can buy more creepy anime crap, and through the entirety of the game he's being played like a fiddle.

Sorry, I should have said everything after No More Heroes, not Killer7. Speaking of which, No More Heroes 2 was kind of a letdown, since it was just a mechanically refined sequel, rather than being as full of surprises as the original game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also it seemed like a lot at the time, but EQ actually had a fairly small playerbase during what people generally think of as its "peak" (launch through Planes of Power) compared to the numbers later MMO's would pull. IIRC Sony rarely released hard numbers, but one of the history of EQ things (I don't remember if it was a magazine article or what, it's been like ten years) found out that the peak amount of subs was like ~500,000 around the release of PoP. Sure a lot of games have soldiered on with much smaller bases, but that's still pretty small compared to the amount of influence the game would later have.

I think a better example of a "cult" MMO would be Shadowbane or City of Heroes.

Great thing is, this was back when people were convinced that there was a very definite ceiling on the number of potential MMO players, and that while there was a small percentage that would be interested in subbing to more than one at the same time, new games faced an uphill battle for subs. Then WoW came out and the industry poo poo itself.

I'd definitely agree with Shadowbane as a 'cult' MMO. It launched in a stripped-down state, suffered astonishing setbacks (like people finding the GM commands in the user client, or single guilds and alliances locking down entire servers), but people have been working doggedly at bringing a server emulator up to snuff for years.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Bushido Blade
Chulip
Mr. Moskito

Not sure how well those sold though.

edit: There was also this early 3D-adventure game (PC) that had a lot of fans mourning the lack of a sequel. Very advanced for its time. Like Gothic, only released years before that and set in the future. Forgot its name.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 14, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dark Souls is a cult game as well, I would say. Yes, it had quite the followerbase coming from Demon. But the fanbase really grew over the time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Michaellaneous posted:

Dark Souls is a cult game as well, I would say. Yes, it had quite the followerbase coming from Demon. But the fanbase really grew over the time.

World of Warcraft is a cult game as well, I would say. Yes, it had quite the followerbase coming from Warcraft. But the fanbase really grew over the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
tHe Call of Duty [cod) series is probably the foremost cult game. Sure there are a bunch of plebs who buy it and claim to like it, but only a handful of truly passionate fans are enthusiastic enough to embrace the creator's vision and participate in the REAL cod of duty with sick killstreaks and mlg major league gaming 360 noscopes.

• Locked thread