Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Azana

"Thank you, mayor. How many children did you sacrifice this last moon, and to whom?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Now the mayor's entire face is red.

"If you are implying that we have had dealings with the lords of Madness...!"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Armando Jones

Armando tapped his cigar, dumping a bit of ash off the end. They had some drat fine cigars here, although something about the taste was lingering. He blew out a long smoke ring into the air, and the smoke looked faintly purple. drat fine, but odd. "No, no. Nothing like that. She was just, ah, professionally curious. Now, Mayor Fitzandul was it?" he said. "We represent a small, ah, community that presently finds itself in your neck of the woods. We were hoping to establish some kind of a deal for supplies with your fine town here."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Antoinette

The table suddenly jolts, and Azana lets out a small whimper, bending under the table to soothe her shin. Everyone else can hear a familiar scraping as Antoinette digs her knife into the bottom of the table in frustration.

"Mayor, as I'm sure you've guessed, our people have...well, different needs to yours. Somewhat gruesome needs, perhaps."

She takes her napkin and dots the corners of her mouth with it. "There's really no delicate way to put this, is there? Perhaps it would be best if we knew what we could offer, first."

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 21, 2014

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The mayor looks relatively confused. "A community in the woods? So you are reachers?" He turns and glares furiously at Rob, presumably blaming him for the mistake. He seems to calm down a little bit, and looks at least somewhat composed when he addresses the group again. "I reckon we can do trading without Breland. We're pretty independent. Even trade with them harpies up the mountain." He pauses, looking grim. "Gruesome needs? I can guess what you are talkin' about, and that ain't gonna be easy. Frankly, you'll have to talk with more than me, dependin' on what needs you have. Tell me what you want, and what you are offerin', and I'll point you to who you need to talk to and bring it up at the Town Meeting this week. We make a decent living mining Byeshk, so your offers better be good."

SKILL CHALLENGE TIME

Your party has entered negotiations with FITZANDUL, puffy faced and worried mayor of the town of Highshade. This is one of many towns that you will have to convince to deliver blood and bodies to you in order to rejuvenate your community, but this one seems particularly receptive!

It will presumably take a lot to make these people agree to give up their precious bodily fluids, but you are all experts in being dead. Only you know what the dead can offer! Therefore, in each post that you suggest a way that an alliance with your people can benefit the town, you can roll any skill as an undead-related knowledge skill to contribute to the skill challenge. For example, if you have high athletics, you might know that ghouls are totally capable of carrying blocks of granite one-handed. If you have endurance, you might know that skeletons can mine ore for eternity! Be creative!

This applies to any town figure you opt to negotiate with - priests, mayors, mining foremen - and the more successes you get, the less the group will have to do to prove their good intentions. Good luck!

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Antoinette

"I do believe I have something to offer, Mayor." Antoinette wipes her face again and rises from the table before heading out the door.

She spends the next hour tracking down the town's markets and merchants, grabbing as many ingredients as she can (and several she'd never seen before). She heads back to the Peacock and barges into the kitchen, throws a pot of water on the stove, and begins to cook. "Watch carefully, friends," she says to a bewildered crew of cooks, "for I am about to revolutionize the cuisine of this quaint town!"

Streetwise: 1d20+9 19

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Prise Weaver

Prise desperately tries to give a disarming smile.

"Please ignore the scantily clad one. We do not keep her around for her skill in diplomacy. I should start by saying that we are not of the Karnath you have mentioned a few times. Our community is an independent one, founded to allow and ensure free living to those who find themselves, ah, 'returned,' be it through force or choice. We are, I should emphasize, a peaceful community, but we are a community that has found themselves...lost. It is perhaps complicated, and absolutely mysterious, but this is clearly not the land we were in a month ago. At any rate, we seek co-operative trade relations, not demands, and would be happy to assist with anything that might ensure such. We can offer any number of services; I myself can vouch for the capabilities of our healers. We have, to put it politely, centuries of experience with various diseases, plague, afflictions, and what have you, and have a very deep and wide understanding of how to combat them, as well as powerful mastery over positive energy infusion. In such an isolated town, I'm sure having capable doctors close at hand could be useful! As a mining town, imagine if those who suffer from any accidents could be mended quickly and brought back on their feet?"

Heal (take highest): 2#1d20+4 18 17

Prise drums her claws on the table for a moment before finding herself unable to hold back.

"...And as a personal question, I have to ask, what...is the state of the, ah, afterlife, as it would be, in this land?"

Religion (unrelated to skill challenge): 1d20+11 21

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Rakszan

Warforged, the man called him. He would have to ask about this later. Maybe this place had been visited by his legions in that bygone era. Better still, it could be a tomb world still sleeping, with an army of loyal subjects under their very feet. That would wait though, best not to pry and risk offense just yet.

"Your primary income is from mining, yes?" Rakszan addresses Fitzandul. "We saw the smoke of your forges, but could not be certain what industry the fires burned for. I do not know of this Byeshk, though I have spent a great deal of time beneath the ground. Perhaps the mine foremen would be pleased with some workers that do not eat, sleep, or tire. Workers that are not concerned with pockets of gas or underground rivers."

Dungeoneering: 1d20+8 16

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Antoinette

"Fools! Imbeciles!" Antoinette shouts from behind a rapidly growing pile of food scraps, a line of garbage cans in front of her. "Can you not see the sheer amount of good food you're wasting!?"

She picks a random bit out and holds it up for the now even more bewildered cooks to see. "This onion scrap...two layers! Two whole layers wasted!" Another piece; "These chicken bones could be used in stock!" Another: "You wasted an entire block of cheese for one little speck of mold!?"

She slams one of the can lids down, causing all of the cooks to jump. "If I were in charge here, you'd all be out on the streets begging for work! Unbelievable!"

Intimidate: 1d20+9 11 to scare the townsfolk into thriftiness

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Armando Jones

Armando politely ignores the commotion coming from the kitchen, pitching in after Rakszan. "Skeletons are also not known for laying down on the job. No eyelids to shut, y'see? That whole 'eternal vigilance' thing comes in very handy, and the boys don't mind some of the boring patrols. Could make you much more secure if you don't need to rely on the, er, vaunted wits of your guards."

Perception: 1d20+9 18

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Azana

The vampire leans back against the wall, smiling. "I know you fear us, Mayor. You fear our gifts, our terrors, our abilities to take the weak among you and make them ours. So why not make a truce? Give us what we want, and we will guard you in return. Not just against the other horrors out there, the things that wail in the night - but from our own deprivations, our hungers and thirsts. Be our friend - or our prey."

Insight: 1d20+7 8

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The mayor listens to Prise, Armando, Antoinnette, Rakszan, and pointedly tries to ignore Azana, who seems to be quite touched!

"Well, the state of the afterlife depends on who you talk to, I reckon. I'm a Sovereign myself, so I figure I don't rightly know what the afterlife is like. We've got quit a bit of Bloods here who think it's manure, though." He pauses, considering the various offers. "Those are all things that would be mighty valuable in this here town. I reckon we'd trade a pretty penny for those things. No worshiper of the Host is gonna be giving their bodies to strangers, though. I'd normally turn you straight down. But... there's whispers of things happenin', and it might be better safe than sorry. If you can get the permission of the Bloods to use their bodies, I can ensure that there will be no objections from the rest of us. We'll have to work out the details of cour-"

The mayor's eyes go as wide as the plates that the workers in the kitchen drop as soon as the Undead Emeril enters the room.

She was just some Johnny Saucepan when she walked into that kitchen
And the chef picked up the orders and he stopped his goblin itchin'
He said "Make yourself at home, girl, I just pre-warmed all the griddles.
You've got 20 minutes - starting now - to make some gourmet vittles."

The larder is well-stocked with all sorts of ingredients, including basil, endive, shrimp, live lobster, hamster, caviar, snow pea, scampi, blue beef, red alert, pork hocs, side flank, cantaloupe, sheep shanks, flatbread, goat's head soup, and vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claw, and Antoinette immediately starts cooking up a storm. It's absolutely terrifying, but it smells delicious.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Rakszan

"I am unaware of any of those groups you speak of, but if giving the Blood faction increased influence in the area through trade agreements with our people is acceptable to you as the authority here, then we shall pursue that option. Who can we speak to that represents the Bloods?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Armando Jones

Armando puffs on his cigar. It sounded like they were going to be dealing with the crazies, but that was fine. Other people got a bit unnerved around the undead. "And I don't suppose there's any of them within easy walking distance of here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Prise Weaver

"The aforementioned Daelkyr...have they been seen often around here? Should we be worried for our own settlement?"

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread