Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Surely a cool imperial state name can forgive even the most egregious of sins.

(clearly we'll just have to make our own fanfic history version of him to redeem him for our national histories)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just present him as being a practical man at the time who saw Northern integration into Europe at large as needed. Now that time as passed and the TRUE dream of Svenn and Cnut can be fulfilled.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Nah I'll wait with the Empire forming until EU4 as I see the culture right now in Skåne as way too focused on rule of Warlords to be able to handle an actual Imperial administration. Besides now with integrating Skotland it means I have a big issue with vassal limit and I need to make more large dukes meaning I'm gonna have more internal issues which is always fun! :haw:

I'll add a few fun Empire tags in the mod like the North Sea Empire for EU4 which we can use when we reach the Napoleonic era.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't expect an imperial title to come up (unless we got an exceedingly ambitious ruler...or another lunatic, at least). I just thought it was worth mentioning that it is a really good name. I hope whoever came up with the term North Sea Empire got a raise.

Also I am sure the Skotlanders will be entirely content with our rule and foresee no problems in the future.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

GSD posted:

Also I am sure the Skotlanders will be entirely content with our rule and foresee no problems in the future.

Of course not! They all love the current Kings Brothers who I put in charge of governing Skotland. (I'll give a mini update on Skotland and the rest of the world during the week)

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Ha! Everyone is going to be PISSED at the Vogelius!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I look forward to your inevitable downfall. It would at least add some drama.

e:I'm not saying this to be malicious. I would just like to see kind of setback in our unbroken string of victories, to make the eventually victory more satisfying.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I look forward to your inevitable downfall. It would at least add some drama.

e:I'm not saying this to be malicious. I would just like to see kind of setback in our unbroken string of victories, to make the eventually victory more satisfying.

Well I've had a few disasters but yes nothing that really crippled me to be honest. Worst I guess was when the Aztecs arrived but then me and the HRE together took care of that.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
You want drama? Wait until his heir suddenly converts to Catholicism and joins the Teutonic Knights! I'm sure CK2 has some crazy event somewhere in their list which could accomplish something along those lines.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Luhood posted:

You want drama? Wait until his heir suddenly converts to Catholicism and joins the Teutonic Knights! I'm sure CK2 has some crazy event somewhere in their list which could accomplish something along those lines.

I did have the "drama" when Erik af Vogelius got a concubine which gave him a son(Ingolf) which his wife failed so a Vogelius would end up on the Irish throne instead of a Von Marienburg. I think that boy spent about 20 years in hiding, somehow he came out of that "perfectly" fine.

I am however worried for EU4 that I am gonna get a sudden death to the dynasty....

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

King Jørgen been so unwanted in the realm he develops a shyness to strangers preferring old company he knows he can trust. Being pushed around by the Grand Burgher's of Skåne and his health starts to take a toll as he becomes stressed from the pressure.

In the year 1363 the holy father in Rome declares a crusade for Egypt to establish a sister state to the failing Crusader State of Jersualem. But in the Norse realms they are too busy dividing the spoils of Skotland. Lothian and Albany was given to the two adult brothers of Jørgen, Balder and Uffe while the Brother Sigfred continued to rot in the dungeons. Galloway was given to a relative of the Blekinge branch of the Vogelius dynasty. Søreyar and the island of Mann is given to Thorolf af Arvika and Moray to Commander Ragnvald of Moray, both men who have served the Vogelius with loyalty.

After a year, in the hot summer of Egypt the invasion forces of the Catholic world have landed. Being Shia the divided Fatamids are alone in defending their home as the much larger Seljuk Empire adheres to the Sunni teachings. North of them the Turkestan Khanate have collapsed and is slowly being absorbed by Volga Bulgaria and Golden Horde

After two years the Crusade is declared a success and a Salian is hailed as King of the Egypts.

As Fylkir Åse was nearing her 60's the Thing convened on who should be her holiness successor and the initial talks pointed at the King being the best potential inheritor. Hower news come from Skotland as the old commander, Duke Ragnvald of Moray dies of illness and his estate is returned to the King.

The Cross-worshippers are celebrating on their victory and the Egyptian Kingdom is indeed a large and powerful one. But the Fatamids won't let them be beaten by the enemy on the other side of the sea and in the year 1366 declare their own Jihad to take back their Kingdom. This time the Fatamids weren't divided so both the previous Egyptian and the Arabian branches fight together side by side.

Eventually the stress comes to Jørgen and one morning he simply doesn't wake up when the thralls come to dress him. With no sons his inheritor is his daughter Kirsten who become the first Queen of the Kingdom. With this sudden death of the King the Allthing swtich their favor to one of the smaller nobles in the Realms. The Chiefain of Telemark in the Norwegian lands.

Queen Kirsten decide to focus on domestic development and go on improving the keep of the mighty fortress of Trelleborg and making sure she secure the future of the family. It was however a great scandal at the court when she decided to go against tradition and not name her first child either Jørgen or Hemming.

News later reach of how the Milish Fylkir dies and a new one needs to be elected. Long live Fylkir Rolf! But immedietly upon his ascension he dies of old age and the Allthing decides that the Fylkariate shall go to his son and heir.

Returning to domestic affairs Queen Kirsten hears from nobles who have lent out fortunes to the Duke of Gotland that he now refuses to pay back feeling safe on his island in the Baltic. They demand actions to be taken and someone to fix that hole of debt. But for now Kirsten refuses as she feels is theirs problem and not something for the Royal Court to handle. Of course this didn't make people happy.

The Queen becomes pregnant yet again and give birth to another healthy baby boy she names Valentin. Same year the Chaliphate of the Shia Fatamids declare success in their Jihad for Egypt. Introduction of Asatrú is also steadily progressing in Skotland with a lot of people from Skåne and Ireland moving there to start new lives but also local populace who switch from the pressure of their rulers.

Soon enough comes the lords of the realm and try to press their demands. Kirsten is no craven like her father was. The Royals try and take the Scanian royal army while they are unprepared and victory is uncertain for the loyalists. But they manage to pull through the enemy lines and win.

But thanks to that the rebels have managed to consolidate their forces much more effectively and are vastly outnumbering the Royal army. They do their best to try and avoid confrontation but eventually they are captured on Sjælland. Queen Kirsten decide to call for her uncles help in Skotland.

The army in Sjælland is devastated and routed to Fyn where reinforcements from Pommerania is waiting and the Scotish fleet is about to enter harbor. With new forces the morale of the troops is revived yet again and they charge at the main rebel army holding a siege at the fortress of Trelleborg. Its a victory for the Queen but a costly one. But with that the momentum of the rebels are destroyed and shortly afterwards they give up.

Seeing how the lords of the realm still pose a threat to the crown Queen Kirsten order that the walls of Trelleborg are to be improved. She also banns peasants from the smaller farms to sell on the markets of cities in Skåne without using a Burgher as a middle man, making it much easier for her to tax it. The Order has as well managed to get a foothold in Prussia

Jarl of Søreyar adopts the title of Mann instead and moves his capital seat there. Meanwhile on the continent it seems the Danish King wants his Prussian land back.

Kirsten finally have enough of the nobles wanting action taken to the Jarl of Gotland so she finally does something radical. She absolved the loans and takes upon herself to fix the troubles this mans rule has done to the island.

And in year of 1380 the mighty Kingdom of Jerusalem is no more. And by 1385 the Order loses its ground in Prussia to Danmark who then donates the land to the Teutonic Order. Because of the issues of her father had ruling and that she had Queen Kirsten decided to spend considerable effort in establishing laws and customs at he courts of Skåne establishing the higher worth of a nobleman than any normal Freeman. Highest of course is the Royal court, ruling by Odin's will.

Realms of 1385

Religions of 1385

Cultures of 1385

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 24, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Those pesky Danes will rue the day they stole from the Norsemen! And the Teutons will rue it even more for raising arms in the name of their nailed-to-a-piece-of-wood god!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Huh. Too bad that catholic Egypt fell. That would have been interesting.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Wentley posted:

Huh. Too bad that catholic Egypt fell. That would have been interesting.

Would be awesome to keep a successful Crusader State, aye. maybe I should declare a holy war to take Jerusalem just to spit on the Cross worshipers face and establish a "Crusader State" myself? :D

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Ha! I do that sometimes for really talented younger children who aren't going to get any land.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

So doing a small vote here now to decide what I'm going to do while I am playing for this chapter. You will get the results with the next update.

The Fylkariate has been assembled upon the request of Warchief Tegwyd of Jomsvikings, the Tenth Master of the Order and chosen by the late Master Grimr in he year 1397. Maser Tegwyd is a zealous warrior of Odin and before joining the order he was the son of a powerful noble in Milsarikí. The latest defeats in Prussia has taken a toll on the orders Prestige which he wants to rectify. His proposal is very unorthodox and much speaks against the whole scheme bu it is intriguing none the less and it appeals to many Thingemen in the Allthing.

Maser Tegwyd has been planning for a few years now a way to discredit the authority of the enormous German Empire to the south of the Norse believers and their entire faith. He wants the Norse realms, Skåne, Skotland and Milsarikí to join in a holy crusade against the Moslems of Særkland to take Jerusalem, the holiest city of our rivals and fill i with our own people by establishing a Norse Crusader State of Jerusalem.

This will of course mean that we will come in conflict with distant monolithic powers for a longer time. First the twin Shia Fatamid Empires of Egypt and Arabia and then potentially in the future the Sunni Seljuk Empire of Persia and Armenia. Not to say that the Christian world will most probably not let a slight like this go unpunished. But as long as the Norse realms stay firm and true to the Æsir's guidance we shall be an unstoppable force that shall overcome anything our enemies can throw at us.

The Fylkariate now compromises 4 realms, the Kingdoms of Skåne, Skotland, Milsarikí and the Jomsvikings Order. However there is still a culture of keeping the Thingemen close to Uppsala and as such most often the ones picked are from Skåne or the Order. None the less it is a grand coalition of various nobles and lords vying for power on a more global scale than ever before. It compromises the cultures of Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegians, Scots, Irish and even Prussians.

Currently it looks like one of the sons of dear Queen Kirsten is going to be elected he future Fylkir.

The country isn't as rich as it has been, the riches of the trade flowing along the Sound has taken a hit from the numerous Prussian wars between various Norse Jarls wishing to expand their power or the Polish-Danish Kingdom trying to reclaim heir old land. As such the Cities can't pay as much tax as they used to anymore.

But at this very moment the Kingdom is at its peak with the union of the crown of Skotland and Skåne. The manpower reserves have recovered and the Kingdom can field an impressive army of 40 000 total if needs be. Skåne has truly become a great power of the North being able to match its size with even the giants.

Since we are planning to fight the two largest empires of Midgard we have to take a look on reports of how the strength is measured between the realms of our world. We are not one of the weaker realms but together the Fatamids field an army much larger than the Norse but they are nowhere near us in technological advances.

Also even though the Ilkhanate has been absorbed by the mighty Seljuk Empire, the Golden Horde is still quite strong and are quickly advancing over the old Turkestan lands and is now facing against its successor state the Volga Bulgaria which is ruled by Muslim Bolghars.

And time for the vote. Shall we as a united faith declare a holy crusade in the name of Odin to claim the land most holy to the One-God faiths and do what none of them have managed, keep it for all time forward. Time limit is going to be 3rd of June, a bit short but I want to finish this chapter by then.
Remember to use the symbol to make my job easier.

Crusade for Jerusalem
Option 1: We are no reason to take the land of another faith
Option 2: We shall prove the strength of our gods! We shall burn Særkland to the ground!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Option 1: We are no reason to take the land of another faith

I really, really want to. However, I would much rather strengthen ourselves at home first. To support such a state would limit and divide our strength.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Option 2!

How better to rub it in the Cross-worshippers' faces than to take their holiest site :smuggo:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Option 2: We shall prove the strength of our gods! We shall burn Særkland to the ground!

Besides, if nothing else a Jorsalfaring will get the cross-worshippers off our backs for a while, seeing a weakened Caliphate.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

On we sweep with crashing oar, our only goal will be the eastern shore! :black101:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Option 2:

Can we take Jerusalem? Perhaps. Can we despoil her, ruin her for all her misbegotten children, scrub away every trace of the Christ-God?! It is our duty! To conquer or destroy, we must sail!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Option 1

This proposal is mad, this is no raid for loot and glory, at best we will spend much and gain only the ire of the Cross-worshippers. Our gods are strong and all know it already, no need to run off like a spoiled whelp looking for a fight.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Option 1

This proposal is mad, this is no raid for loot and glory, at best we will spend much and gain only the ire of the Cross-worshippers. Our gods are strong and all know it already, no need to run off like a spoiled whelp looking for a fight.

That sounds like something a weakling cross-worshipper would say! :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Luhood posted:

That sounds like something a weakling cross-worshipper would say! :colbert:

Ignoring the logistics of warring on the other side of the world because of a fit of religious fervour when there are plenty of fine targets next door is definitely something they would do :colbert:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Option 2:

We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are really, really cool.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Option 2

Italy would be even better, to pincer the cross-worshippers between our empires, but I'll take this as a consolation prize.

After this our attention should be on England and Frisia, though, in the name of our greatest god: Pretty Borders.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Option 1

Anything else is madness.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Option 2

Don't think I don't see you, catholic sympathizing bastards going for option one

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Option 2

Don't think I don't see you, catholic sympathizing bastards going for option one

Hey now, even the cowards are free men. If they want to rot in the dungeons of hel then that is their choice.

still fun to see pretty much the same people saying "grow your local power" and of the other group going "expand" in their attitude. Kinda like two parties.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Option 1
Later brothers, we can strike later. Tis better to attack the Romans to our south first.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Option 2

Expanding locally is boring. Every LP blobs, not every LP brings the glorious worship of Odin to Jerusalem.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Oh that was close. In overall SA forum was for a crusade, Pdx forum was against it. Update and result will be up shortly

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am curious what we're going to use this colony for. I guess it's a good staging zone for raiding the Med.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I am curious what we're going to use this colony for. I guess it's a good staging zone for raiding the Med.

Use? There's no use for it! It's to please the gods and smack the Cross-worshippers and Særklanders on the nose and prove we're better than they are.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Jens asks to follow the proud service of noble sons to serve as a warrior in either Mikklagard or the Order, being of a more zealous nature he decides to serve Odin and Thor in defense of the entire Norse faith instead of some catholic stranger with a fancy hat. In most cases Kirstens move to establish code of conduct in the presence of a court and raising the nobles status among he common men as part of the Skånske Lov. However the old Syphilitic Jarl of Pommerania and Finland do not agree with this Queen trying to say that she is better than other men and starts try and gather support to claim the throne from her. Luckily her spymaster catches it before any damage is done and she orders his immediate arrest o make an example of him....

Their armies march towards each other and they face battle in the lands of Rostock but the battle is over in a mater of days with near no losses to the Scanian army.

Another Fylkir dies to join with his peers in Valhalla and he Allthing elects as predicted Queen Kirsten as the new leader of the Norse faith. Inheriting with that title are the responsibilities of the Fylkariate and the administration of Uppland and Uppsala. Kirsen decides that Gotland has finally come back on their feet so she hands it out to her son Valentin. Prince Ludvig aims o go on the same path as his big brother and asks o join him in the Order.

The war with Pomerania doesn't last as long as the Jarl of Pomerania dies and his heir takes over but also our dear Fylkja succumbs to her advanced age. The new Jarl Karl seeing his fathers empire crumbling at the might of the Royal forces he agrees to a white peace with the Regent council of the royal court. However he Allthing was not happy with having a leader who could barely remember her own name.

The Catholics seems to not want to give up on their Crusader States just yet in the Levant and Africa. And with the Catholic world looking south some Jarl's of the Scanian Kingdom decides to be fortune seekers and aim to take the kingdom of Arymôr. A Jarl of Milsarikí decides to follow suit and wish to carve a Kingdom for himself in Lithuania, bu he is unlucky and the Hochmeister of Prussia joins in defense of the cross.

Time pass, war rages on all around the world but in Trelleborg it stands still as Kirsten's body slowly dies as her sickness worsens. One morning her dear son Helge finds her pale and cold in her bed. May the Queen rest in peace. With the curse of having lost her mind and soul some of the border vassals had lost faith on the administration but when it came forward that King Helge was a competent king to replace her they swore their loyalty. However having to pick up the pieces of his families empire did put a lot of pressure on him.

With an old and infertile wife Helge has taken a young girl into his bed to make sure to produce a good heir. He loves his two girls dearly but with the current state of the Kingdom he feels safer if he could pass on everything to a male heir.

A strange message arrives to the royal court of Trelleborg demanding the presence of every lord who adhere to the only true faith of Midgard. A vote at the Allthing is to be held and it has been organized by Tegwyd with permission granted by his most Holiness Fylkir Lennart af Blekinge. Fittingly the Masters proposal was as mad as the Fylkir was rumored to be.... So a motion is made by the Zealous Warchief of the Order and the Mad Leader of the Norse faith describing in detail of how they are going to exploit the fact that the Chaliphate is struggling against the very might of the Popes Hammer. That they would do what the Catholics could not do, take Jerusalem their most holy city and keep it.

It is a big subject and not something that will be decided upon quickly. In the meantime the court at home is busy trying to improve upon the situation and with King Helge's blessing they decide to raise the city taxes as they are slowly recovering from the many wars in the baltic. And with Milsarikí having established and outpost in Prussia more trade became available for the merchantmen in Trelleborg and Copenhagen.

But then the votes are counted of the largest and most powerful landowners of the entire North. 29 votes are counted the last seat being the Fylkir himself. Its a close vote with a lot of heated debate with arguments being thrown that this is pure mad ramblings by a man who has lost his pride. Others love the idea of proving the strength of the northern man, to show that our golden age begins now. The results are 16 for, 13 against. King Helge rises as the votes are declared and exclaims to the Thing: "This will show Midgard of our strength, how we prove of our Gods might, the start of our Age. Hel shall have her halls filled with our offerings for decades to come!"

The Kingdom raises 45 000 men to the cause, all over the realm young men enlist to do Odins will and fight next to him and to later be picked up by he Valkyries as they fall.

It took a full year organizing the armies, during that time scouting forces of the lesser nobles have already reached the Fatamids and are engaging them. Half a year later an armada of ships arrives outside the coast of the holy land flying the Scanian Raven. However the troops are not used to the harsh climate in the Levant and the first task quickly becomes to make sure each man is fed. But King Helge can't let his fellow brothers die alone against the Moslems slaughtering them in Beersheb and rushes there at all haste but when he gets there it is too late. He will insead avenge hem by showing them the true strength of the Vikings. The morale of the various armies scattered around is revived and the flock to the banners of the Scanian king to lead a glorious charge against Sultan Malik he Great trying to defend his home.

King Helge becomes known as brave by his men as he leads them into a hard won battle. But the terrain and the fighting style is something completely unknown to both the warriors and commanders of the crusade and they are struggling to even outmaneuver their much weaker prey infront of them. The battle lasts for weeks and in the end it turns out to be a victory for King Helge, but a Pyrrhic one. Thanks to the climate as well they lose even more soldiers.

However with that battle the army of the great Sultan of Arabia is destroyed and all that remains is the army of the Egyptian Caliph... And it looks like we will become neighbors with the Restored Egyptian Crusader State

Realms of 1405

Religions of 1405

Cultures of 1405

Note: If you have suggestions on flags and names for Jerusalem when I finally take it let me know

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

Note: If you have suggestions on flags and names for Jerusalem when I finally take it let me know

For the name I'd suggest either Jórsalheim or Serkland. As for the flag though, that is a tougher nut to crack... a norse-stylized Scimitar perhaps? Let me get back to you on that one.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 4, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I think the flag depends on what tack you plan on taking. Is it going to be more of you imposing Norse values, or more of a syncretism? If the latter, perhaps a crossed axe and scimitar. If the former, the hammer of Thor, for it was under his auspices the war was called.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Take the Jerusalem cross, cut out the middle bit to make it four Thor's Hammers, and put a Thor's Hammer in place of each of the small crosses in between.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Take the Jerusalem cross, cut out the middle bit to make it four Thor's Hammers, and put a Thor's Hammer in place of each of the small crosses in between.

How about that first bit but replace the small crosses with Odins knot for fallen warriors or do you think that's too Neo-nazi like? Or gently caress it they stole our symbols! :mad:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Call it Thorusalem.

• Locked thread