Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Zaphod42 posted:

List of colors from the website:

No there's no white color you gross goons.

:dance: good news

Potential leaks (or rumors?) from tomorrow's direct:

-Set of super mario sunshine levels!
-Non-splatoon amiibo will grant equipment, like a mario hat from mario's amiibo.
-Hard difficulty and even one-shot kill Very-Hard difficulty unlocked after that
-Potential free game for purchasing Splatoon on eShop?
-Nintendo tournament mode?
-Future DLC stages based on other Nintendo franchises! Pikmin, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Kirby
-Demo version after direct, 1 level of competitive and 1 level of campaign

If the game seems decent then those potential goodies/updates would be very enticing to pick it up. Man, I hope the demo is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I don't believe Nintendo rumors.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

elf help book posted:

Imagine if even one of them were true...!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

mabels big day posted:

Imagine if even one of them were true...!

Hard mode seems reasonable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

elf help book posted:

Yeah some of those do sound a little too good to be true.

We'll find out tomorrow. :)

Looking at the colors, they pretty much picked all the main good contrasting colors which is smart, although they have pink instead of red and lime green instead of yellow.

I guess red all over the walls might look like blood and yellow... would be bad too. :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm going to pick turquoise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mabels big day posted:

I'm going to pick turquoise.

Yeah that's my favorite too.

The closest colors are turquoise and blue or turquoise and lime green, but it should still be easy to differentiate at a distance.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 6, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i'm choosing pink because it is the same color as my 3ds

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Orange forever.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I will be either purple or blue because those are pleasing choices.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

i think hats from not splatoon amiibo could happen since they sort of did that with mario kart 8

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i dont understand are you free to pick whatever color you want? because i thought your color was decided by what team youa re on

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

sharrrk posted:

i dont understand are you free to pick whatever color you want? because i thought your color was decided by what team youa re on

You probably get to pick the color for single player and/or when you're doing stuff in the hub area.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zaphod42 posted:

-Future DLC stages based on other Nintendo franchises! Pikmin, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Kirby

I'll buy this Season Pass so hard if this turns out to be real.

Kinda sad there's no Red Team. I always like to be on Red Team.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rocketlex posted:

Pink is pretty much a really light shade of Red.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvFfxBvhM9A

I'm gonna warn you right now, the guy in the video is insufferable. He's doing some 90s xtreeeeeme tubular rad over the top attempt to appeal to millennials or something, and its really really bad. Some cool game footage though.

BGR preview: http://bgr.com/2015/05/06/splatoon-preview-wii-u/

quote:

What you won’t find in Splatoon is a deep, Call of Duty-like progression system, but you can level up and collect in-game currency to buy upgrades and cosmetic items, some of which will increase your stats. Once you reach level 10, you’ll unlock ranked battles, where you can put your skill to the test against the other top Splatooners.

I have definitely changed my tune regarding the multiplayer, but the single player campaign was even more surprising, serving as both a necessary introduction to the control scheme and the weaponry as well as providing a real challenge once I got a hang of the basics.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 7, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think Amiibo geegaw support is likely even if those rumors are a hoax.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zaphod42 posted:

List of colors from the website:

No there's no white color you gross goons.

Turquoise instead of cyan?! Pre-order cancelled and Amiibos unbought i say!

I'll probably use pink or blue more often than not in singleplayer, can't wait for the direct tomorrow.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Rocketlex posted:

I'll buy this Season Pass so hard if this turns out to be real.

It wouldn't surprise me if they specifically avoided having enemy players explode in a fountain of red...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is there a Game + Amiibo bundle? I assumed so, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is there a Game + Amiibo bundle? I assumed so, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

It's only in Europe. So if you don't live there, sorry.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

PAL-land has a game/squid amiibo bundle, NA gets nothing.

The squid amiibo is exclusive to either the game bundle or the amiibo 3-pack, you can't buy it individually. Boy/Girl will be available individually. Each one unlocks different weapons/costumes within the game. They look like this: http://www.levelup.com/noticias/317699/Estos-son-los-nuevos-amiibo-de-Splatoon

TRU is doing a "pre-order Splatoon, get any amiibo at pickup for $5" deal, incidentally.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL-land has a game/squid amiibo bundle, NA gets nothing.

The squid amiibo is exclusive to either the game bundle or the amiibo 3-pack, you can't buy it individually. Boy/Girl will be available individually. Each one unlocks different weapons/costumes within the game. They look like this: http://www.levelup.com/noticias/317699/Estos-son-los-nuevos-amiibo-de-Splatoon

TRU is doing a "pre-order Splatoon, get any amiibo at pickup for $5" deal, incidentally.

Good enough.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Wait do you get to pick your team color? How does that color thing work?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If you're doing pick up games, I bet it comes down to a vote, or randomizing.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you're doing pick up games, I bet it comes down to a vote, or randomizing.

I hope you pick it like you pick tracks in Mario Kart 8.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I assume if you pick your own color then it's just always your perceived team color and the other team is random? Or it's for the fashion lobby online. I guess nobody knows for certain yet.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
The colours shown in trailers always seem to be contrasting to one another and that helps identify how much area is covered in who's ink. I would prefer it to be that way rather than having a preference.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That rumor started on 4chan and literally not a single thing coming from that site has ever been right.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There'll be a Nintendo Direct for Splatoon next week (May 7, 11PM Japan time).

JP stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxbn868TgDQ
US stream link: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct
UK stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/NintendoUK

10 minutes!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

Wait do you get to pick your team color? How does that color thing work?

Nobody has any idea! It might not be a choice for versus or even for single player. We're all being optimistic here.

Ronnie posted:

The colours shown in trailers always seem to be contrasting to one another and that helps identify how much area is covered in who's ink. I would prefer it to be that way rather than having a preference.

Hm, so you think it always picks like Orange v Blue or Pink v Green or Purple v Cyan, like that? Would make sense.

poo poo I have a meeting coming up :smith: Somebody watch it and tell me what happens.

I guess it'll go on the archive shortly after.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Add a poll immediately for #teamcat or #teamdog

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk/v/4781129

link to the direct for those like me who missed the live version

Skin color and eye color are customized for your squidgirl/squidboy, but team color changes each time you go into battle. Still not clear if you get to vote or if its random.

The maps look really cool and well designed.

I see blue vs lime green, so that would mean that colors aren't required to be opposites, since we've seen blue vs orange too right?
Yep, different color matchups are possible! Any 2 colors seems like.

Each of the primary weapons we've seen (shooter, charger, roller) are actually categories with many weapons of each type.

The "Blaster" works a lot like Unreal Tournament's flak launcher, gently caress yesssss. :dance:
Scoped sniper, railgun, machine gun, etc. etc. All you'd need.

Gear grants you skills, like in Monster Hunter.

Single player involves crazy stuff like grinding on ink rails like tony hawk and painting invisible walls to walk on like raiders of the lost ark!

Online features 2 stages to focus on, and then they swap every 4 hours.

Unranked mode features turf war and teams are scrambled every round.

Ranked mode has multiple game types such as capture zones (splat zones) as well as tower control (kinda like tf2 payload) and rainmaker? which are more focused than turf war. Two new modes coming soon!

4v4, play with up to 3 friends matched up against other teams or play with 8 total friends who then get split into teams.

Expansions coming after launch including more stages!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 7, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
poo poo, this game looks way more deep than I thought it was going to be. There's even support subweapons!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its basically Team Fortress mixed with Super Mario Sunshine mixed with Portal 2 which sounds brilliant.

I wish we had a co-op mode instead of 1v1 though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 7, 2015

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Yellow is obviously the correct color.

(Squidrunners represent)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The rollers are effectively melee weapons, and all the sub-weapons are pretty nuts. This is gonna be a lot of fun.

NBHS posted:

Yellow is obviously the correct color.

(Squidrunners represent)

Sorry chief, no yellow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The 2d minigame thing is actually legit. So far almost all of the rumors are true.

No mention of tie-ins with other Nintendo franchises though.

Inkling girl amiibo levels focus on sniper rifles, Inkling boy amiibo levels focus on roller melee, inkling squid amiibo levels combine 'kraken weapon' and a limited supply of ink. All 3 unlock special gear.

GLOBAL TEST DEMO IS AVAILABLE ON ESHOP NOW, ONLY PLAYABLE MAY 9TH!
Kinda lame, see you guys Saturday.

Full game is available 10% off on eShop if you pre-order.

Inkling costumes coming soon to Smash Bros!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 7, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Did they say what kinds of skills the items you unlock give? I'm guessing probably some things like ammo capacity or squidding faster in your team's ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Did they say what kinds of skills the items you unlock give? I'm guessing probably some things like ammo capacity or squidding faster in your team's ink.

Yeah, things like using less ink to shoot, faster super jump, something called "ninja squid" (squid form is harder to see?), extra damage, faster ink regeneration, faster swim speed, "last ditch effort" (more damage towards the end of the match maybe?), faster human form movement, etc.

Sounds like all kinds of stuff.

Looks to be a fairly huge amount of clothing for customization, including fake brands.

• Locked thread