Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fix posted:

Gotta say, fan art is going to carry the load on this new IP thing. Sure hope Nintendo doesn't dumb.

They announced a fan art contest for the US so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Crasical posted:

I wonder if Nintendo is just feeling the hype and running with it or if they really want this to be the big new IP?

I don't think they expected the initial reveal to go as well as it did, but after it blew up they went 200% behind it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure if the exclusion of common features like that and other weird poo poo like being unable to switch loadouts while in a lobby are intentional or just another example of Nintendo Galapagos syndrome

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Target.com says the three pack is up for purchase right now in local stores despite the game not being available yet

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Sell me on this game please

do you hate how games these days don't let you bass rap

well do I have the game for you

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Here's all the weapon unlocks plus which boss scroll gives what
http://www.primagames.com/games/splatoon/tips/how-unlock-every-weapon-splatoon

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Feel like Aerospray RG needs a nerf. It just shits over like every other weapon type lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

The Aerospray is good but it's not that good; I've seen them lose. Heck, I've seen them lose hard, even when the RG player abused the end-of-round Inkstrike. (Including times I saw teams with three or even four Aerospray variants on the same team.) It's fun, and it's good, but it's not some win-button like some people are acting.

If you are bad and pick a good weapon, that doesn't instantly make you a good player

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I hope that image doesn't mean that only one map is available in Ranked at a time...

Get ready to mash A even harder through the CallieMarie presentations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Keiya posted:

I keep getting paired with people who think the way to win Arowana Mall is to hang back and meticulously ink the starting area while the other team takes total control of the middle.

I still think one major change they ought to make is to ink a portion of your home base by default at the start of the game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

No way, I love that these are easy points and that some people straight out ignore inking that part of the map. It's enough to win a really close match.

I'd rather players go out and start working on contestable ground rather than standing around shaking their dicks in the corner

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

kojicolnair posted:

I've won matches because people completely ignore an entire path from their base so thanks for making it easier I guess!

Well I mean, if the base and some immediate area started out pre-painted this wouldn't be a issue anymore.

Also from that splat zone video, looks like the weird counter under your score is extra hold time until your clock actually starts counting down? What causes the number to be what it is?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Misandu posted:

Has anyone seen a guide to things like Defense Up break points floating around? I was thinking of making a guide but if someone who's already unlocked everything has handled it then it'd be a bit of a waste.

Try it out yourself on the firing range, they have dummies in there with stacks of the perk.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rexroom posted:

I had a match in the Rig where the splat zone changed hands constantly. It was so close Judd gave us extra time to give the decider. (Apparently if the timer runs out but you control the zone, the clock keeps ticking - if you control long enough to pass the other team, you win. You can guess what happens if you don't.)

This is suddenly a new game altogether, with intense close quarter combat and maneuvering. And I love it.

One match yesterday went into overtime after we managed to claw back from early losses, and we pulled ahead in points with literally a second left on the clock.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I feel like this si very wrong for a number of reasons, but I am very tired

It's correct. Control the chokepoint to the top area and you control the map. I just straight up ignore top on that map now unless the other team takes our first.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Does rerolling equipment also change the primary perk?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I can't believe they didn't make the amiibo gear 3 stars.

Just get Spyke to add a slot for you. Unless the Amiibo clothes are special and you can't

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Icedude posted:

Hit Rank B in the last match before the map switch just now :getin:

The .96 Gal has no right being this good. What does the Deco version come with? The Sprinkler is nice, but I'd like a more offensive special than just the Echolocator

Seeker and Inkstrike, it's good

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Has anybody else been using the Gold Roller? It OHKOs at distances it has no business reaching, hits enemies directly above you, and has Inkstrike. It's the kind of loadout that can singlehandedly turn a Splat Zone game around.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Just won a ranked battle where our team of four rollers KO'd the other team using normal person guns

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Were none of them using their subs? A seeker would take out a roller in a 1v1 like pie and even then, just walking backwards and shooting would've made the whole game easy

the gold roller is good

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

Info about the Splatfest tees from the guide:

So Spike can't mug a shirt for you because everyone will get a temporary one.

Dang, guess I gotta go find a hat with Ninja Squid then.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
guys i think we are ignoring one very important facet of the paintbrush and that is its ability to draw dongs on enemy ink

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Worst Girl posted:

Would it be more likely to win the splatfest prize if we all just joined the same team?

Or are we all joining team dog anyway?

From what I can tell, winning games in Splatfest fills up a new type of exp bar, then at the end you get snails equal to the number of times you've leveled that up.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

There's a high likelihood the winner already has a Wii U and Splatoon so rofl

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Fresh tip: if you know you're about to die, move out of the splat zone so your bodily fluids don't end causing the uncap/their cap

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Has anybody check what the EXP curves of the equipment are like? Not sure if it's just because you get so much more EXP in ranked than regular, but my 1* upgraded slots hat felt like it took a lot less EXP to max out than a 3* equipment.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The one thing that is bugging me about Chargers is that I'm not sure what they can do to expland on the concept. Blasters seem to have a couple of levers you can pull to make them dynamic, and the Inkbrush is almost a fourth weapon class. But Chargers? It just seems like they are going to keep adding range and calling it a day.

Plenty of funky Pulse Rifles in Destiny, I'm sure they can find something.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sade posted:

Last night I had my most frustrating splatoon experience yet. There was a roller player who was so laggy that he projected a 5yd zone of death in every direction. You approach this dude from any direction with any weapon, you die 5 seconds later. I stayed in the room with him for 3 games and I was so mad I had to quit for the night. That's my splatoon story for the day. :(

Why did you stay in the room

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There's a few clips of a new skyscraper map in that video which hasn't appeared in any official media until now.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

People who enjoy delicious sweet/savory pizza. :colbert:

And I'm also happily surprised that I rarely have any lag during a game like this. Everything's so busy,. the map is constantly changing, you're dealing with eight connections, and the fact that it all manages to keep rolling smoothly (save for maybe.. once every 40 games) is mind-boggling to me.

They do a good job masking lag, but it's there. Weapons that have high burst damage like the roller or blaster make you notice it more.

Also Splatoon not only had an impressive hold in Japan with 60-80k copies sold in its second week, but also caused Wii U hardware sales to rise compared to the previous week.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 10, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Akarshi posted:

Been playing a lot of Turf Wars with Japanese players with OSA and SIB after their names...anyone know what these are? I was thinking maybe clans or something.

When's the LLJK clan happening

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Electromax posted:

I hope the next splatfest is "I get worked up about superior pet discussions" vs. "chill people who like all creatures". Then Nintendo can forward the list of the former team members on to the FBI's disappearer squad.

I mostly play Turf War and I find that I usually get 800-900p using the roller (maybe 1100-1200 when we win) and more like 600-700 with a gun. The gun is more fun in some ways, but I haven't found something to help rank up as quickly as the roller. Although I'm not shuffling equipment much and it sounds like that's the only thing rank has to do with anything? Is there any other purpose for it?

I should specify level (20 cap), not the letter Rank rankings.

You can actually be quite aggressive with the roller if you play smartly, which ups your point count by a few hundred I think. Some maps (Mall) are more difficult for roller than others though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
My most common seeker deaths are when I mistake it for a moving inkling and run over to it to roller it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Port Mackerel Splat Zone hypothetical: you're running a weapon with good ink coverage, like a roller or charger. Your team manages to take back your zone but you're still behind. Do you: push forward to attempt to cap both zones, or stay back to improve your ink coverage of the area? Are there specific situations where you'd do the other one instead?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The best part of Kelp Dome is all the suckers who think a roller can't hit them on the catwalks from below :getin:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

On the other hand ink doesn't stick to grates, so if anyone on the other team decides to join up there, holy poo poo are you hosed

i've yet to fail to just kill them both because they can't shoot downwards

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

If Saltspray Rig is in the ranked rotation I won't play. If the other team's using chargers it's just too hard to recover. I generally dislike that map in general, though.

The secret to Rig is that you can get the uncap by just painting the area outside the chokepoint. Force them to come to you. Also make good use of the one-way walls

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Dizz posted:

The what now?

The walls by the chokepoint can only be painted from the outside. Use those to attack the rest of the zone instead of just walking in. I think they even allow certain weapons to attack the sniper perches that can't hit them easily from ground level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Both of you are correct. Here's a list of maps you fight Octolings/Octostriker + Octarian Troops on:

Kelp Dome (DLC Map for Multiplayer, Octolings)
Blackbelly Skatepark (Is a level in Story Mode twice: Once with Octolings, once with Octostriker)
Saltspray Rig (Octolings)
Urchin Underpass (Octostriker)
Bluefin Depot (DLC Map for Multiplayer, is a level in Story Mode twice: Once with Octolings, once with Octostriker)
Inkopolis Tutorial Stage (Octostriker)

Only the last one is not a multiplayer map.

(Also, each of them either take place at dawn or night when just about all Inklings are asleep, which makes perfect conditions for Octarian invasion attempts... except maybe around Splatfest.)

In addition there's two more known DLC levels not in singleplayer:
Camp Triggerfish (the aforementioned woodland level with lots of water)
Unknown skyscraper level (verticality: the map, you can see it in that splatfest promo trailer and on the TVs in Inkopolis)

• Locked thread