Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AmiYumi posted:

I can say with certainty that Super Soaker & water balloon fights are both what the kids want, and guaranteed to end with at least one party guest in tears.

Children, y'know?

Maybe with some kind of coloring that won't stain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Does getting one of those USB lan adapters speed up the connection, or does it just make the connection more stable since it's going through a USB port?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So what does rank get you exactly, bragging rights and?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well, I just rushed into battle right after starting the game, I was the second highest scoring person in the game, that's kind of disturbing. Especially since I didn't know how to permanently change my camera angle.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Run speed bonuses work with rollers right?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Poultron posted:

No, not while they are deployed.

Ah, better off stat wise with my starting gear then, still doing pretty good with this thing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man, I'm glad I read this thread before I started playing, it's been super helpful.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nintendo really has near-zero experience with matchmade online gaming. Its just massive ignorance.

Why is there no way to quit the lobby screen? :psyduck:

Why can't we switch loadouts while waiting for a match?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

dogsicle posted:

The dude who made a real Splat Charger has now made a real Inkzooka too: http://sp.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26654321

Did he host those videos in a place where we don't have to log in?

Edit: I'm going with waterslides.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Maple Leaf posted:

Honestly, I just have fonder memories of water slides.

Yeah, this. :kiddo:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I just unlocked the brush, I haven't used it in a match but it looks pretty ineffective, how are you supposed to use this thing?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Silver Falcon posted:

You zip around in "roller" mode, hide in ink, and jump out and flick paint at unsuspecting people like crazy. Spamming the flick button spreads ink really well, especially if you keep moving. Basically, never stop moving unless you're waiting to ambush somebody. Don't do the roller mode unless you need to get somewhere fast, or escape from an enemy. Otherwise, flick paint like there's no tomorrow. Ninja Squid and Ink Resist are both vital abilities.

The Manticore posted:

I didn't realize the canister on your back was a separate tank of ink until I was done with the challenges, so I ended up being even more conservative with ink than the game demanded. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEt_tTu-ovA

Thanks, I've never really noticed people being good with that thing during matches, I'll have to play around with it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Its pretty difficult. You have to be a highly controlled spaz. Always pressing some sort of button all the time. Super fun when you get the hang of it.

I listened to this thread's advice, watched one tutorial, tried it again in test mode and I came in 1st or 2nd points wise every game thereafter. :cool:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LethalGeek posted:

I like the sneaky nature of the brush but dont feel like I'll ever get the hang of splatting / not be splatter of it to really work it well

I'm bad at laying the brush down and escaping, but then again I'm going whole matches without dying and coming in first. Also laying down sprinklers is AMAZING, I throw down one while pathing to the middle during the initial rush just get to some side coverage and by the time I hit mid I can throw another one and they're just so great at slowing down the enemy or making ink traps at drops.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So in that map with the one control zone that has a grate overhead, I'm shocked how long my sprinklers last up there, you'd think people would shoot them.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Ugh towers on splat zones is just a loving sniper-fest
Guess I'll be avoiding playing that one

Go with an inkbrush, be too fast to be sniped call down inkstrikes on snipers, get paid.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

With my lag I die after I've already moved far from whatever position got splatted at - especially against Japanese players

drat, that sucks man. I just hope someone figures out something you can use for this.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm going to be team waterslide and I'm pretty sure I will get zero shells as a result, oh well.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CatsPajamas posted:

Since people gave some good charger advice, how about some anti-charger advice? Specifically, how do you deal with a charger when you can't flank them?

Examples of where I've encountered this situation are: Moray Towers when the charger is on the opposite side above the central space, Salt Spray Rig when the charger is on their home area guarding the lower platform or on the raised platforms above the pipes on the top area (not the ones you can flank, the ones where their back is to large top square), and Arowana Mall when the charger is on one of their side platforms watching the central chokepoint.

The possible strategies for dealing with this I'm aware of are:

• Using a special - This requires you to charge a special, though most specials would work: Inkzooka, Ink Strike, Bubbler, Kraken and possibly a Bomb Rush. The charger can still splat you if you use the Inkzooka or Bomb Rush though, and unless you actually splat the charger with the special they might just move temporarily.
  • Using a bomb - You'd actually have to be in range for this, which is difficult against good chargers. Again, unless the charger actually gets splatted they can just move temporarily.
  • Wait for the Charger to be distracted - This is difficult because it either requires good teamwork or taking advantage of the charger's mistakes, but the only consistent way I've found to deal with a charger in these situations is to sneak up on them when they're looking in another direction. If you're doing this, try to keep your ink out of their field of vision.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or stories to share for how they took down a charger?

Eh, I inkrush past em, or I get near the base of where they're sniping from and throw a sprinkler above them. As long as you're completing objectives chargers don't matter.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Modus Pwnens posted:

There should be a shock rifle :hellyeah:

Nevermind how they would handle the controls.

What if there was a wet/dry vac?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I really like throwing sprinklers on trucks, helps me charge up my specials a lot.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Christo posted:

Callie and Marie are inklings, not squids. So really it's more like you or I eating a monkey and therefore perfectly ethical.

I take it you didn't get far in single player?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The main thing to remember when starting out with Chargers is that you're not toting around a sniper rifle. It's a long range paint flinger that paints in long straight lines. And you can paint these lines very fast. A mistake I often see is chargers doing short pulls to cover space around them. This is bad because it's a hugely inefficient way to cover turf with the weapon. The method I use is to make a path until I get to an open area, and then do a full shot, step left or right, and repeat. Speaking of paths, that's a stellar feature of chargers. You can zip through a stage early on. I loving love racing down Moray Towers. Also, the long range of chargers allows you to ink over enemy-claimed turf from far off, without having to engage or sneak by the enemy.

Perching is important. You really do need to find a place up high where you can avoid short range and melee. Don't be afraid to hang back while your team pushes into enemy territory either. It's likely they're going to get splatted, and you might be need to hold the Bad Guys at bay while they respawn.

What do you do when an ink brusher throws a sprinkler on your position then charges past you? Because I do that poo poo constantly.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

wall sprinklers also have more ink hitting the ground and do more damage, I throw them to hold off a corridor to cover my back while I'm inking an area.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's a bit less likely to get shot, but IIRC the coverage is much better if you just place it right-side-up in the middle of the "cross".

I throw it upside down above the cross so I have that nice area to swim around in to guard that area. Best sprinkler throw is probably on top of the moving trucks so they can just zamboni you some points.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is there any subweapon more useful and versatile than the sprinkler? I think not.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

2/10 had the highest points in every match. We need a :thatssplatoon: emote.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sade posted:

I got killed by a splash wall because I was tunnel visioning and chasing a guy down, didn't notice he'd thrown the wall 'til it was too late. Bad feels :(

I've rolled around corners into splash walls.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bruceski posted:

Are splash walls lethal? I'd swear I've bounced off them.

The one I ran into with a roller was. I had a carbon roller knick me and bounce off, there's a bit of randomness to the lethality of things I think.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jarogue posted:

Someone else's splash wall saved me from a Inkzooka shots today.

Sprinklers are good but they can't block supers, that's for sure. I wonder if they push Krakens back too?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Silver Falcon posted:

Become Roller Coaster King anyway, because it is the right thing to do! Fight for the glory of your team! It's not about the snails, it's about proving you're better than the other guys!

Anyway, I've been practicing with the Inkbrush off and on because I think it's a fun weapon, and I've been doing pretty decent with it! Today I did pretty darn well, in fact! Had a round where I got 800 points (my next highest scoring team mate got 400-something :v:), then another round where I got 1,015! (Buuuut my next highest scoring team mate got 450 :suicide:). We lost both times but hey at least I did awesome!

I'm only one lady with an oversized novelty paint brush. There's only so much I can do!

If two enemies spot you, just lay down the brush and bug out, nothing is going to catch up to you. Getting six kills and zero deaths is a pretty sweet bonus in addition to having the highest score on your team.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Smiles posted:

If one of them has a Disruptor you're dead meat though.

Bane of every Carbon Roller and Inkbrushers existence.

Yeah, that'll mess you up pretty good alright.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Any advice on inkbrushing on moray towers? I feel like that's my weakest map in turf wars, cleaning up those lanes is risky as hell with a short range weapon. I'm doing ok throwing sprinklers, but drat I want to get more done you know?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Octobrush is great for killing people and I feel a lot better about going after people with a kraken panic button, but I think inkbrush is better at marking turf with the sprinklers and inkstrike.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish I liked the octobrush instantly- gotta play with it more but it just feels like a worse inkbrush to me. The swings for whatever reason feel a lot slower and the ink spread is super unreliable.

I think the swing rates are similar but the octobrush throws five globs of paint that are bigger and more damaging vs individual inkbrush globs. Maybe 50% more ink is layed down on the charge, but the run speed for the inkbrush is way better.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

First match communication error in the first 30 seconds. Aw yeah!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SL the Pyro posted:

Second match comm error'd for me. Third match was finished, but pretty laggy.

Really hoping it isn't like this for the whole Splatfest.

I was hitting a roller in the back, then they rolled over me from behind, twice.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Onean posted:

I can't say for sure for the time it takes a swing to complete Octobrush vs. Inkbrush. However, I can say the Octobrush has a much longer cooldown between swings vs. the Inkbrush. I can get 3-4 swings with the Inkbrush in the time it takes to get 2 with the Octobrush.

I think the octobrush is going to be way more useful on Moray Towers, but in general turf war I love sprinklers too much to give up the inkbrush. Chuck 'em on ceilings every chance you get, then splat people who're looking up at them trying to knock them off, it's just too good.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Roughly one out of twenty games had internet problems, splatfest, it's one out of four.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bruceski posted:

I'd like to thank everybody who drops inkstrikes on the top half of the Rig when it's entirely the other team's color. When running defense, I couldn't charge my own strikes without your help.

The bigger the affected area, the better right? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's pretty bad out there, I'm getting 900-1000 a match and still losing 30 to 65 at the end.

• Locked thread