Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I finished my very first real big cross stitch ever. It needs to be ironed but.. Snek?

I had some questions about how this is done because coming from "regular" embroidery, the method kind of breaks my brain!

Are you meant to go "Row by row", or like.. block by block? I've seen it done both ways and I know there's no "wrong" way, but what is *easiest*? I've been doing it "cross country color" style and just trying to get each color knocked out as I go, but the pattern I chose had SO MUCH CONFETTI, I kept having to go back and go back over and over to fill in little bits I missed and it was *such* a drat pain.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
For me row by row is easiest because it was how I learned. It also uses less thread. But sometimes the pattern won’t really work that way and then I go stitch by stitch. You will probably get used to visualizing a path.

Cool snek

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
That's a gorgeous snake. I'm going to show it to my wife

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Betazoid posted:

Very nice! I love the middle one and the warmth of the berries. Did you design the pattern?

Yes, I did. Glad you like it! Should have sewn the Noelle tag on better but I didn't expect the polyester to be so shreddy and just wanted it to be done.

As for the cool snek I'd just be doing blocks of color as they come out from the center, so I guess that's stitch by stitch? The only reason I am going row by row on my current kit is because it makes sense pattern wise. And I don't know if the giftee will appreciate it, but I don't know wtf else to get them for the holiday.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I finished my bunny

It was supposed to be on light fabric so I had to redo all the backstitching color so it would stand out. Settled on DMC 820 "very dark royal blue" for the outer edge of the bunny and E168 "gently caress you goddamn is this a pain in the rear end to use metallic silver" for the jar.

Seriously one of the most subtlety shaded pieces I've done. The gradient in the rabbit was drat near invisible for most of the project.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

More detail which better shows the color:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Plz help me Embroidery thread:

Partner wants a manual of embroidery so she can get rehash her old interest in the craft. Specifically, she wants a book containing the different stitches and instructions on making them (blueprint-style tutorial sheets to practice stiches would be welcome too), and no fluff or stories not pertaining to actually making the stitches. We went to our bookstore and all they had were influencers' books that were full of storytelling and had little actual instruction, so.. the opposite of that?

If you can point me in the right direction that would be super nice! I'll take recommendations for reviewers as well, but I was hoping I'd be lucky and there was a commonly accepted "encyclopedia/bible of stitches" we could get..

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I dont know a commonly accepted bible of stitches, but while I was trying to google the one I have I came across this one which looks very promising if a very 90s layout. Probably would be cheaper to ebay, the amazon link is just convenient.

Edit: found the one I have but I have always found it to be a little lacking, link here.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 10, 2024

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

https://a.co/d/dpUZX8g

The Royal School of Needlework Book of Embroidery is great for this. I got a digital copy on sale for like 10 bucks and I reference it all the time.

If she's amenable to online resources, I've yet to find a guide more comprehensive (and free) than this one:

https://www.embroidery.rocksea.org/stitch/

She's a bit chatty, but not more than necessary about the history of the stitch and if you don't care it's easy to scroll down to the photo tutorials for each.

This is separated by family so if you have a vague notion of the look you want, you can get a whole bunch of options on how to do it here.

For example, I struggled with French knots at first, came here to the knot family tab and learned how to do colonial knots which are easier for me and get an almost identical look.

One thing to note is that on Amazon/Etsy there are a lot of unscrupulous folks literally copying patterns for samplers, so if you want to buy one, be sure to find the OG creator if that matters to you.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks! Not sure which is best, but now I have optuons :3: