Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
I bought a bunch of rando cross stitch supplies from a lady on Craigslist and I've been puzzling over one of things. What is this? I'm guessing it's a bobbin winder or something but I can't quite figure out how you would use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Angry Pie posted:

I bought a bunch of rando cross stitch supplies from a lady on Craigslist and I've been puzzling over one of things. What is this? I'm guessing it's a bobbin winder or something but I can't quite figure out how you would use it.

I don't know why they needed to make this video four minutes, but basically skim through this it should get it down for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InsXpXRDHUU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
^^ Video is literally a series of still pictures organized like a power point presentation. I imagine the author didn't have a personal website of their own so they went with the next best thing.

Anyway, in short instead of hand winding those paper organizers for your embroidery threads you can use this thing to wind it up for you!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My most recent project, Jupiter. I drew a pattern with a water soluble marker from looking at Google Images and just went to town. It's all running backstitch and about four inches in diameter.

What do you do with your finished projects? I suppose I'll hang it up on the wall but I can't do that with everything I make.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I haven't made that many, but they make good presents, overall.

I'm a maverick, so I frame my projects behind glass.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
I do hang some but mostly I either give my projects away or shove them in a box with all their little friends that I plan on framing "someday". I love making them but it's not like I'm going to wallpaper my entire house in cross stitch, you know? At least they're compact to store.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

What do you do with your finished projects?

This looks awesome! Great job!

And as for what to do - the sky is the limit. Do you want to keep it? Frame it as an art piece? Maybe sew it on a bag as a patch? Give it to a friend that might do the same?

I should make a write-up on the process I use for turning embroidery into patches/applique. It's way easier than you'd think, but there are a few tricks to it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

That drat Satyr posted:

I should make a write-up on the process I use for turning embroidery into patches/applique. It's way easier than you'd think, but there are a few tricks to it.

I also do quilting and applique so I have plenty of Heat-n-Bond and basting spray so a patch would be pretty easy.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Hi thread, I finished a thing! I was going to give it away because I"m not a Game of Thrones person but it's just so drat pretty I think I'm gonna keep it.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Angry Pie posted:

Hi thread, I finished a thing! I was going to give it away because I"m not a Game of Thrones person but it's just so drat pretty I think I'm gonna keep it.

Wowsers! Great work! Did you use a pattern, or just kind of wing it? It's excellent and you should proudly display it. ;)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Also, if you used a pattern, do tell where you got it!

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh god yeah it's definitely someone else's pattern - I'm good at cross stitch (if I do say so myself) but creating patterns is really not my thing. I bought the pattern from this etsy shop.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I feel like I haven't made a proper post here in a while. This is what I have in the hoop at the moment - a linen handkerchief that I've done scalloped drawn thread edges work on, and now in one corner in silk I'm doing this little leaping stag, which is one of my personal emblems.

And my colors, all silk...

This is the first 100% 'period correct' piece I've done and has been quite a long time coming down the line. After visiting the V&A and seeing their stunning special exhibit on Opus Anglicanum, I was really inspired to make the jump and take my work to the next level. So, as I said, this is full on OA, and I'm trying my best to work my particular style into the OA style of blocking shading with just a few colors. It's surprisingly difficult.

I still need to make the photo dump from my visit. Unfortunaty photos weren't allowed inside the main exhibit, but they had a lovely book which I bought a copy of and will include some select pages. The highlight of my trip, though, that I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned at all here, was that I was able to secure an appointment with the Clothier's Guild branch of the V&A - they handle allowing people that are doing research to select specific items and come in and examine e them. Up close.

I got to pull 6 items from the collection that were in storage, and it was amazing. One of the items I got to pull, for example, was one of the tent-stitched panels that Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth Shrewsberry stitched durring Mary's confinement at the Shrewsberry estate.

:v: history!

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 22, 2017

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
:negative:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

:perfect:

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
That is loving GREAT.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

can anyone recommend a free (or cheap, i.e. ~$10) cross stitch pattern making program that includes backstitch as an option? all the free ones I can find are basic cross stitch only, and all the ones I can find that include different stitch types cost the loving earth

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh, a friend literally recommended this site to me this morning. I haven't used it yet but from a quick look it does seem like it supports backstitch. Plus, knitting and crochet stuff! https://www.stitchfiddle.com

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Finally managed to sit down and get on this: Photodump from my amazing visit to the V&A's Clothier Center. I was allowed to pull six items from their warehoused collection to examine and photograph, so I kind of just went with stuff that suited my own embroidery interests. I hope you guys enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoyed this ridiculously awesome experience.

Blackwork Coif:

Reliquary Bags:

Blackwork bodice stomacher:

Tent-stitch panel done by Elizabeth Shrewsbury + Mary Queen of Scots during her confinement

Ecclesiastical Stole

I was really drawn to the detail of all of these pieces - I easily took 800 photos in the time I spent there with these items and have so many projects planned out based on my observations. I especially loved the little posaments on that brickstitch bag - they were SO tiny and delicate.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Those are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing :) I especially love the blackwork.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Angry Pie posted:

Oh, a friend literally recommended this site to me this morning. I haven't used it yet but from a quick look it does seem like it supports backstitch. Plus, knitting and crochet stuff! https://www.stitchfiddle.com

after a little play around with it I think this will suit my purposes just fine :) thanks very much!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Oh wow, those are incredible!!! I'm way into that blackwork, especially the coif. What's the provenance of that one?

What a cool program too--can anyone go there and request one-on-one time with items?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Holy gorgeous blackwork Batman.

My husband just discovered how much it sucks to be married to someone into needlepoint. I picked up a cheap painted canvas and some kreinik and some wool yesterday, and $34 later, I have a piece I got halfway through yesterday. Ill edit in pics when im not at work, and might swing by hobby lobby on my way home to try finishing it as an ornament myself

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

So, first I bought the threads.

All the threads

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/454-DMC-C...7%257Ciid%253A1

Then I got busy

I think the last one is my favourite, it's a Final Fantasy 6 sprite from the 16 bit SNES game. Those sprite designers were absolute geniuses, the pattern/sprite is *nonsense* close up but crystalizes into a beautifully clear image from any kind of distance, far FAR more so than just taking a picture and pixelating it with an automated program. The colour picks were done with cstitch 0.9 which someone linked upthread, it only made a couple of duff calls which I edited (the darkest and mid blue were too dark so I made it's pick for mid into darkest and added an intermediate one from my stock of the aforementioned ALL THE THREADS). The program has proved excellent for digitizing sprite images without changing the squaring, and clarifies which areas are actually the same colour which can be hard to do by eye since neighboring colours can distort perception

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Wowsers, this is stunning and I bet it's even more so in person. Great work all around!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

That drat Satyr posted:

Wowsers, this is stunning and I bet it's even more so in person. Great work all around!

yeah, I think it's my favourite I've done so far and makes me want to do more awesome FFVI sprites. I've got the Unicorn esper patterned and colour-picked and after that seriously considering Bahamut, which would be close to 8 x 10" all told on 14 count, it's just a shame the colours are a bit muted

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

edit: deleted

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
The first thread work I've done in at least a decade, so I'm pretty happy with the results

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm into it!

I've done a bunch of poo poo since I last posted here, I've started trying to design my own things instead of using other peoples' patterns. It's satisfying but also super annoying to do sometimes so I've decided to make my winter project out of someone else's design.

I'm a Supernatural superfan so I made this before I went to a convention this summer, and got a couple of the actors to sign it:

For a friend of mine, for people who get cranky about pumpkin spice season:

And for another friend who's having some poo poo go down in her life:

And I didn't design these but I do think they look pretty good! Mass Effect logos:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
decided on a more colourful dragon in the end, finally finished the bugger, 5000+ stitches later...

I did do the unicorn too, no pics tho, I'll grab some soon (unless I sold it and forgot)

Think I'm gonna do some small projects for a while now, maybe some gifts for the nephews and niece...

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 21, 2017

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

that's gorgeous! great colour choices and looks lovely on the black aida

i designed a little beach scene for my aunt and uncle's Christmas present and took this potatoey photo before mailing it off

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

vaguely posted:

that's gorgeous! great colour choices and looks lovely on the black aida

Thanks heaps :).

Though I can't take full credit for the colour choices, I mainly just used the ones cstitch spat out and it worked really well (though I did have to fiddle the brightness on the original image a bit to avoid it collapsing two colours into one, and I added in a colour on the ear cos the program again collapsed two colours together)

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009
What I'm enjoying about this thread is the innovation of goons creating their own really original patterns as well as the different ideas for the uses the finished product is put to. When I was a kid I loved cross-stitching, but didn't realise how much scope to do interesting stuff there was - it was all "cross stitch a butterfly from this book, put it in a frame", "cross stitch a duckling from this book, put it in a frame". I had a go a while ago at preparing my own sort of pattern as a gift to my mom and her partner who are always travelling around in a camper van, and it was a really satisfying project!

(Registration number blanked out because it is the right one). Here it is in a frame:

And then I found these little greeting cards with a hole in the centre to stick whatever you like in, perfect for a piece of aida!

Onionetta fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 3, 2018

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Got around to photographing the unicorn

Also, I've been busy...

these have all since been framed, as has the mana beast (the purple dragon) but I haven't gotten around to doing photos yet.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
I just started a tiny little cross-stitch kit two nights ago and I should finish it in my next session. I have to say... I’m hooked! It’s very relaxing for me, almost therapeutic.

Any advice for a rank beginner? Things I should avoid, things I should keep in mind? I’ve had literally only 10 minutes of instruction from a friend who does wonderfully complicated stitching.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Are you a person who can learn from books? If so I recommend The Cross Stitcher's Bible by Jane Greenoff, it's a tremendous resource with very clear instructions, and some pattern ideas. I don't know if it's still in print but I've bought a couple used from Amazon sellers.

Other than that, uh, I guess the best tips I can give are to watch your tension (ie make sure it's uniform), untwist your threads often, and cross your Xs the same direction every time. And just do it a lot, I learned with about the same amount of instruction that you did, 20 years ago, and then when I started up again recently I just stumbled around until I got to a point where I'm quite proud of the work that I do.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

If/when you start working on larger patterns, try to complete regions rather than doing all of one colour at once (if there's like, one area with it and then another area on the complete opposite side of the pattern with a ton of space in between eg). It is very easy when skipping large amounts of space to be off by one or two stitches and not even notice until you start filling it in later, and that will mess up your whooooole pattern

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Got everything framed and ready for sale. All cross stitch on 14 count Aida of various colours

I like buying secondhand frames in charity shops so I have a vast array to choose from. Though the reason Charizard has a name and non of the others do is 90% of pokemon sprites are basically square while most frames I get hold of aren't, and I used my last two smaller ones on the Unicorn and Riachu.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

My approach when I came back to cross stitch after a decade plus was to start with a fairly large, complex (counting-wise, anyway) project that was all in one color. It's just one less thing to keep track of and worry about while I got back into the rhythm of it.

Fake edit: actually since I never posted a photo of it, here it is:

It looks much better framed and lit correctly, but I can't find a picture of that. I'm still pretty pleased with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

vaguely posted:

If/when you start working on larger patterns, try to complete regions rather than doing all of one colour at once (if there's like, one area with it and then another area on the complete opposite side of the pattern with a ton of space in between eg). It is very easy when skipping large amounts of space to be off by one or two stitches and not even notice until you start filling it in later, and that will mess up your whooooole pattern

Yup, I realized this when I started in on my second color. Very good advice.

Angry Pie posted:

Are you a person who can learn from books? If so I recommend The Cross Stitcher's Bible by Jane Greenoff, it's a tremendous resource with very clear instructions, and some pattern ideas. I don't know if it's still in print but I've bought a couple used from Amazon sellers.

Other than that, uh, I guess the best tips I can give are to watch your tension (ie make sure it's uniform), untwist your threads often, and cross your Xs the same direction every time. And just do it a lot, I learned with about the same amount of instruction that you did, 20 years ago, and then when I started up again recently I just stumbled around until I got to a point where I'm quite proud of the work that I do.

I’ll probably need physical instruction for “new” (to me) stitches just to make sure, but thankfully my friend is literally down the street (and we work together). I’m a lefty, so I tend to do things weirdly unless I see it closely in person.

I been keeping everything really tight... hopefully that’s correct. (Stitching really appeals to my OCD :xd:)

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for some books, I’d like to learn more about what can be done. The pictures in this thread are amazing!