Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I just picked up cross-stitch again after a long break from it. I have this big cat one a friend gave me back in...maybe 2009? I worked on it for about a year and a half and then it sat in storage for about 2 years, so forgive the wrinkles:

The bit I'm working on in the ring now is a panther's head--all of that is new work since I pulled it out of storage last Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

DaisyDanger posted:

I cannot imagine doing some of these huge, no negative space pictures some of you are doing. Holy poo poo!

The only thing that makes the background bearable on my project is that it's all half cross stitch, so it works up much quicker than the rest of the design.

I'm really digging your Game of Thrones banners, by the way! Makes me want to work on one of my own.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Hurray, the thread made it to page 2! Allow me to celebrate by posting a more recent photo of my project:

Since taking that picture, I've completed more of that empty space at the bottom. The end is in sight now...I can taste it! (And then comes all the backstitch, couching, and french knots.)

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

Uh.....:blush: I do all my work in-hand since I don't like the crimping that hoops can leave, either. Am I being dumb/wrong?

There's nothing wrong with doing it outside of a hoop/stretcher bars as long as you're really careful with your tension. It's very easy to accidentally wind up with some fabric pinching here and there, especially if you like to carry the thread over short distances to other sections (which I know is a bad habit and I only do it when there's very short distances).

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Nah, he just got kicked in the balls.

(I'm pretty sure it is the Mario you're thinking of.)

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

That's funny, I started a very similar Samus forever ago:

I should get back to it sometime. :sweatdrop:

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Fantastic colours there. If it ever gets finished it's going to blow my version out of the water. :)

You flatter me :kimchi: Yours looks fantastic though! I also really like your Ruby and Sapphire, I think that backstitching helps it a lot.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Allow me to revive this thread with a wedding/housewarming gift that I've been working on for two of my dearest friends:

All that's left to do is iron/mount/frame it, which should be fun since I've never actually finished a piece for framing before. :sweatdrop: I've got a few tutorials bookmarked for help, though!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

drat, those portraits are really cool! I'm tempted to try one for myself.

So I gave my newlywed friends their Godzilla cross stitch, and they loved it. :D Here's my current project:

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Angry Pie posted:

Cross stitch with beads added on.

Bees?

(That is amazing. I hope he liked it!)

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

I haven't updated in a while, so here's a halfway there progress of my current piece. It's mostly well-defined, enough so that I can basically pick a section and be able to locate myself in the pattern. There's something like 9 months at an hour or two invested into this? I'm also collecting the thread ends because I've never done that and while I wasn't convinced when all I was working on were the yellows, now that there's some variation it's interesting.

Wow, it looks great so far!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Finally finished a gift for a friend that I've been working on for the past year:

Link to Imgur album with WIP and dark photos (it didn't photograph well on my phone, but all the white stitching is glow-in-the-dark!)

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

I didn't know about it either; I went into the store with the purpose of getting some sparkly floss and then saw the glow-in-the-dark and was like "WELL that's even better." It's made of nylon rather than cotton, so it was a little stretchy which made it slightly more difficult to thread the needle as well as keep the tension even. But I was really happy with the finished look of it!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

poo poo it's a good thing you did, I completely forgot to share a couple Christmas presents I made for family members this year:

All your projects look great btw! I love that Lesser Dog.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

these are both amazing, are they your own patterns?

haha I wish I was that good at patternmaking, I got the Pikachu pattern from here and googled the other one after I saw it on tumblr one day. I altered the font just slightly because I didn't like the way the original did a few of the letters.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

That came out great! I really think you nailed the color matching.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Wow, those look fantastic!! And yeah I've found that I prefer using 3 strands on 14ct aida too, it's not any harder to do and the color coverage is so much better. Plus when you can buy another whole thing of thread for like 50-60 cents a pop at JoAnn, the difference in used thread isn't a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

HAH, £1.08 MINIMUM per skein of DMC in bricks and mortar shops over here (that's like $1.40 at current rates). Fortunately you can get far better rates online for and you can generally get ten skeins for about £6.50 shipped so I'll just be getting a bunch of ones that I'm low on soon (actually I should do that today really, I have a couple colours with basically one length or less remaining).

Also planning on getting a cone of black, they do 100g and 500g weights and you get hundreds of metres for a few pounds which works out at a fraction of the skein price and well worth it for black if you do a lot of outlined sprites like I do

Oooooof, that's rough. At least we live in a time where online goods are a thing.