Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

CoolCab posted:

If the Hound does live, why can't it be Brianne (whatever) who rescues him? Aren't she and Podrick searching the area at the moment? She's got no reason to harm the Hound and now that Arya's peaced out he might be the only one who knows where she's going. We only have his word for it he's dead; maybe he's at the point where cauterizing fire would be the only thing they'd possibly know of that can help him, and he'd die first? Presumably Brianne wouldn't take any of that bullshit.

Do 'tried to kill her, made her lose the kid she's trying to find, and is a known untrustworthy brutal killer' not count as reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bobo the Red posted:

Do 'tried to kill her, made her lose the kid she's trying to find, and is a known untrustworthy brutal killer' not count as reasons?

Right but he is one of those who also might have the only information on your kid. Plus if the only treatment is fire, then treating him is basically going to be torturing him, so it's not like saving him is the ''merciful'' thing.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

CoolCab posted:

Right but he is one of those who also might have the only information on your kid. Plus if the only treatment is fire, then treating him is basically going to be torturing him, so it's not like saving him is the ''merciful'' thing.

Brienne has no reason to trust that the Hound won't just stab her the minute she gets anywhere near him, let alone that he would remotely help her find Arya afterwards. Basically all she knows about the Hound is "traitor, fights dirty, tried to kill me to keep me from Arya, almost did". That's the tragedy of that whole drat scene; they're so close to being on the same drat side, but because circumstance and mutual stubbornness, all that can come out of it is violence. If she goes anywhere near him, she's an idiot.

Also it's super weird that they didn't go look for the Hound after the fight. The chances Arya would go do just that seem pretty high.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
The Hound turning away her sword and attacking her when she explicitly told him she wasn't going to kill him is everything she needed to stop giving any fucks about him. He could've surrendered and went on his way, but he was more interested in killing a Lannister lackey and claiming a fancy sword.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Kasonic posted:

The Hound turning away her sword and attacking her when she explicitly told him she wasn't going to kill him is everything she needed to stop giving any fucks about him. He could've surrendered and went on his way, but he was more interested in killing a Lannister lackey and claiming a fancy sword.

Well, I'm not sure it was just that he wanted a fancy sword. I think, deep down, he didn't want to fail in protecting Arya. His brother beat him into submission his whole childhood and really screwed him up (like, why is he so interested in protecting the Stark girls even as he loved violence in general? Almost feels like he failed to protect someone else before, maybe? I dunno), and he didn't want to be beaten and cowed and run away in shame (again?).

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Or maybe he simply thought she was either someone trying to cash in the bounty on his head or a direct Lannister agent ordered to kill him and because she was a woman the easiest way to handle the situation was to simply kill her and not ask questions later.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
I was just rewatching Blackwater for no reason and the bells started ringing when Stannis arrived, and it turned to Varys here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpdEpiTzNA

I loved how they foreshadowed the castle's hidden tunnels but also still remembered adding Varys's hilarious reaction to the bells in S4E10 for a cool callback.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think it's the episode right before it but Stannis is a literal Grammar Nazi.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's in episode 3 or so when Stannis has Davos smuggle in The Red Woman. It's such a great scene too. It says so much about Stannis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

It's not grammar nazism, it's pedantry.

• Locked thread