Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

No More Heroes posted:

But they do the whole burning heretics thing...at least on Dragonstone they did.

Good things they can just burn corpses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I assume they'd mellow out when separated from the culture, sort of like how worshipers of the Seven no longer destroy weirdwood groves.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

No More Heroes posted:

but nobody is supposed to be able to impose their will upon the nights watch.

A rule, you say?
Stannis likes following rules.

Now for another matter. I want to bring this one back up, because holy poo poo.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

They were marching somewhere very relevant to the main plot and they arrived in the first scene of Season 3 Episode 1 before the credits. Unfortunately, due to budget, their arrival was shown with a black screen and noises.

When they arrived, they killed nearly the entire Night's Watch group - a group of 300 - that was with Commander Mormont. Only about 20 out of the 300 survived. You saw the survivors standing in the opening scene of Season 3, right when Mormont shouts at Sam that he only had one job.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Valar_Dohaeris
Completely didn't get that, and it's huge, and I'm usually the one bitching about people missing stuff.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I'm guessing the White Walkers haven't attacked the wall yet because they know they couldn't get through. I'm thinking that the Wall has a barrier like the cave that Bran is chilling at but the old dude is about to die and the barrier goes with him unless Bran gets hooked up to that tree in his place. The White Walkers are leaving bodies all over the place in horrible patterns to scare the poo poo out of the wildlings so they take out the entrance for them.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stumpus posted:

Jon seems to be part of this theme that the story is trying to setup. That the unlikely ones will be the heroes.

Jon, a bastard with nothing to gain and scorned by society is being setup to be a hero.

Tyrion, a dwarf who is ostracized by everyone including his family (minus Jaime to a point), is the only one who actually cares about saving people and is instrumental in turning the war. He's going down a dark path now, so I'm not certain where he'll end up, but I imagine there will be redemption for Tyrion.

Bran, a cripple who has a supernatural power that will be instrumental in saving the world.

Arya, a woman who was blessed with the talents traditionally of a man in that world is scorned for her pursuit of them and misunderstood. She's the weakest of this running theme, but I think she may have redemption in her future as well.

Brienne, basically ridiculed and ostracized for being everything a woman shouldn't be, including being unattractive. On top of that, she has failed at everything she's set a vow to. Her role in the story hasn't really been made clear yet, but being that she's extremely talented as a warrior, she'll find a place in the looming conflict.

This is basically the same theme from Lord of the Rings. The heroes were hobbits who were extremely unlikely as heroes. GRRM may take solace in this theme because of his general troll and neckbeard like qualities.

We'll have to see how successful Podrick is at keeping this theme alive.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stonefish posted:

Now for another matter. I want to bring this one back up, because holy poo poo.

Completely didn't get that, and it's huge, and I'm usually the one bitching about people missing stuff.

I missed this too - most of this time I'd thought most of the rangers died in the mutiny at Craster's. Some very poor presentation there.

It would have been a lot more helpful if they'd at least shown enough of the battle to get across the idea of "we're being slaughtered".

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tenebrais posted:

I missed this too - most of this time I'd thought most of the rangers died in the mutiny at Craster's. Some very poor presentation there.

It would have been a lot more helpful if they'd at least shown enough of the battle to get across the idea of "we're being slaughtered".

It's not poor presentation, you just don't pay attention. The mention the attack at the Fist multiple times after that.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
No really, some fight sound effects and then Jon running through the snow and getting attacked by a single wight doesn't adequately convey "The giant ice dudes killed the brothers". I caught that their numbers were diminished, but I didn't catch that the mostly-unseen mystical ice dudes moved in force and did it.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Stonefish posted:

No really, some fight sound effects and then Jon running through the snow and getting attacked by a single wight doesn't adequately convey "The giant ice dudes killed the brothers". I caught that their numbers were diminished, but I didn't catch that the mostly-unseen mystical ice dudes moved in force and did it.

Yea, I obsess about paying attention to details in the show but they didn't do a very good job with this. I didn't know walkers ran through them until I read about it here in the thread.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Stonefish posted:

It's not your fault. It was badly done. There's nothing in the opening dialogue that suggests they were slaughtered. For some reason, in their wisdom, they decided to keep it a secret from the viewer until the 2nd episode where Orell says that he sees "dead crows." If I hadn't read the books, I would have thought they were victorious. They were all standing in a line showing no panic and Mormont was calmly talking to Sam; they didn't look like they were fleeing anything.

The opening scene of S3 is down there with Yara being chased away by dogs as one of the laziest they've ever done.

They didn't have to use a black screen with noises. The book already provided a low budget approach to showing the battle. It was told through Sam's point of view; Sam wasn't watching most of the battle. He had been told to go to his tent because he was in everyone's way while they were trying to fight. For most of the battle he was in the tent messing with the ravens and listening to the noises outside to tell how the battle was going. The only time Sam saw wights was in the very beginning and the escape. That's all the show needed to have. It wouldn't have needed to be more than a minute of actual action. If we can have hour long war episodes, I don't see why we couldn't have a minute of zombie action here. Whatever you do, don't just do a black screen with noises. Change the story around if you must but don't do that because that looks awful and it's confusing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I'm guessing the White Walkers haven't attacked the wall yet because they know they couldn't get through. I'm thinking that the Wall has a barrier like the cave that Bran is chilling at but the old dude is about to die and the barrier goes with him unless Bran gets hooked up to that tree in his place. The White Walkers are leaving bodies all over the place in horrible patterns to scare the poo poo out of the wildlings so they take out the entrance for them.

Non-specific spoilers, no events that we haven't seen on the show:
The Wall* is explicitly stated to be magical. Melisandre can only see whichever side of it she's on when she gazes into flames. I think she maybe can do both sides if she's standing on top of it? Jon can't 'sense' Ghost when they're on opposite sides. Wargs can't control animals on the other side. How this applies to the White Walkers is yet to be known.

*Other castles, particularly very old castles, are often magical as well. It's strongly implied, if not outright stated, that the Shadow Baby wouldn't have been able to reach Renly if he'd been in a castle instead of a tent.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 28, 2014

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
Sorry to change the subject but I have a very important question to ask: Is Gwendoline Christie the first actress in television to be kicked in the vagina?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I would have thought they were victorious. They were all standing in a line showing no panic and Mormont was calmly talking to Sam; they didn't look like they were fleeing anything

Was this the part where he was bitching about sending the ravens? "Did you send the ravens Tarly?" "THAT WAS YOUR ONLY JOB!"

Where was he supposed to send ravens to and for what?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

No More Heroes posted:

Was this the part where he was bitching about sending the ravens? "Did you send the ravens Tarly?" "THAT WAS YOUR ONLY JOB!"

Where was he supposed to send ravens to and for what?

Back in season one, Samwell volunteers to go on the great ranging to take care of the ravens. With no real allies on that side of the Wall(Craster doesn't count) the ravens they brought with them were their only lifeline. In most of his scenes in season two, Sam is seen chatting with his friends while they work their butts off shoveling various things. True to form, in the final scene of the season Sam is talking about Gilly while Grenn and Edd dig for dried animal poo poo to burn for fuel. Away from his post at the time when he was needed most.

Instead of learning about the white walkers(not to mention Mance's army) within days of the battle of the fist, it takes weeks for word to make it back. Sam really hosed up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Petah posted:

Sorry to change the subject but I have a very important question to ask: Is Gwendoline Christie the first actress in television to be kicked in the vagina?

No, but I'm pretty sure she's the first where they didn't have the female laugh and shrug and say,"But I don't have male genitals therefore a solid kick to my crotch couldn't possibly hurt!"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The Hound better live.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think the final scene of S3 would've been a lot better if instead of just zooming out after scared Sam, they showed a scene of the rangers at the Fist looking down at the undead army coming toward them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Almost anything they did there would have been better. 1. After the black screen with noises, they could have had a still shot of lots of dead men. 2. During the black screen, Mormont could have been shouting commands to retreat. 3. Mormont could have told Sam there was a battle and hundreds of their men died. (Why would he keep that a secret from Sam and the audience? It doesn't make any sense)

With just a little bit of creativity, the terror and panic of the battle could have been shown without a single zombie on screen. Simply have them talk about the zombie army approaching, tell Sam to go hide in a tent because he's useless in battle and would just get in their way, have Sam listen to the noises of shouting and battle, then have someone run in to the tent and tell Sam they've been ordered to retreat. Cut to opening credits. It would be so easy to make this scene work and have viewers understand what happened even without filming anything expensive and using hardly any of the budget.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 29, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Speleothing posted:

Non-specific spoilers, no events that we haven't seen on the show:
The Wall* is explicitly stated to be magical. Melisandre can only see whichever side of it she's on when she gazes into flames. I think she maybe can do both sides if she's standing on top of it? Jon can't 'sense' Ghost when they're on opposite sides. Wargs can't control animals on the other side. How this applies to the White Walkers is yet to be known.

*Other castles, particularly very old castles, are often magical as well. It's strongly implied, if not outright stated, that the Shadow Baby wouldn't have been able to reach Renly if he'd been in a castle instead of a tent.

I'm just now doing a rewatch but I'm only three episodes in. For that last spoiler, which episode we looking at?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Spoilers are for S2e5 and S4e10.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

No, but I'm pretty sure she's the first where they didn't have the female laugh and shrug and say,"But I don't have male genitals therefore a solid kick to my crotch couldn't possibly hurt!"

Ah yes, I forgot about Peggy Hill and her titanium vagina. I kinda feel like being kicked in the vagina doesn't hurt as much as being kicked in the balls but it's silly to think that it would be THAT different.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Petah posted:

Ah yes, I forgot about Peggy Hill and her titanium vagina. I kinda feel like being kicked in the vagina doesn't hurt as much as being kicked in the balls but it's silly to think that it would be THAT different.

Going by personal experience (albeit casual roughhousing between kids as opposed to a literal fight to the death between grown-rear end knights), it hurts a substantial amount with all the nerve endings in the general region and also the pelvis not having a bunch of protection. It's sort of like the worst parts of hitting your elbow and being hit in the nose combined into one.

Probably not as bad as a shot to the balls, although getting kicked by a big angry knight in metal boots isn't going to be a picnic no matter what he's kicking.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Alopex posted:

Probably not as bad as a shot to the balls, although getting kicked by a big angry knight in metal boots isn't going to be a picnic no matter what he's kicking.

The Hound isn't a knight :black101:

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Alopex posted:

Going by personal experience (albeit casual roughhousing between kids as opposed to a literal fight to the death between grown-rear end knights), it hurts a substantial amount with all the nerve endings in the general region and also the pelvis not having a bunch of protection. It's sort of like the worst parts of hitting your elbow and being hit in the nose combined into one.

Yeah I figure getting kicked in the vagina hurts because of the clitoris and all that but I still think there's one crucial factor missing. Getting kicked in the penis certainly hurts, especially if the tip gets hit, but I don't think it compares to the pain of the testicles being crushed. The ovaries of a woman are well protected by comparison so I think there's a very critical difference there.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think pip tried to grab the high lord's cock. Also, he doesn't seem the singing type. Story full of holes.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

monster on a stick posted:

The Hound isn't wasn't a knight :black101:

Fixed :smith:

zeroozero
Jun 19, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

I think pip tried to grab the high lord's cock. Also, he doesn't seem the singing type. Story full of holes.

Wasn't it established that it was the other way around that Pip refused the high lord? But yeah, lots of holes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

zeroozero posted:

Wasn't it established that it was the other way around that Pip refused the high lord? But yeah, lots of holes.

Pip was some kind of minstrel and yon High Lord either wanted him to shine his silver or vice versa.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

zeroozero posted:

That's the story. But I actually think it's the other way around for no good reason other than it amuses me.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

We didn't actually see him expire on the show so until season 5 comes out (or I get to that point in the books) I'm hoping he's picked up by one of the men of the eyrie, taken to a Maester and then ends up guarding Sansa.

Edit: Is there any reason why the men of the eyrie were uninterested in taking Arya Stark off the Hound's hands? Even if they were unaware Sansa was there she's still Robin's cousin and so far the Eyrie is probably the safest place in the realm for her if the Hound wanted to leave her somewhere safe.

Now, I could understand him leaving with Arya if he knew Little Finger was there but I don't remember the guards mentioning that.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 1, 2014

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

We didn't actually see him expire on the show so until season 5 comes out (or I get to that point in the books) I'm hoping he's picked up by one of the men of the eyrie, taken to a Maester and then ends up guarding Sansa.

Edit: Is there any reason why the men of the eyrie were uninterested in taking Arya Stark off the Hound's hands? Even if they were unaware Sansa was there she's still Robin's cousin and so far the Eyrie is probably the safest place in the realm for her if the Hound wanted to leave her somewhere safe.

I could understand the Hound would want to leave if he found out Littlefinger was there since The Hound would be aware that Littlefinger betrayed Arya's father.

There isn't, because they would have. They would have vetted her at least. Especially if her aunt just died. It was one of the more frustrating parts of the episode.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Why would they believe she's Arya Stark? Especially since once the two of them learn that Lysa is dead, they would have no reason to press their case to the guards. Just another pair of dirty war refuges trying to con their way into the safety of a castle.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Sansa and Arya. Arya and Robb. Bran and Jon (twice). Stark siblings keep getting close and getting dragged away. It's getting really loving old.

At this rate, I fully expect Arya to get to Braavos and find Syrio Forel just as he bleeds out and dies without so much as a glance.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Maybe I'm wrong but I had the impression The Hound mentioned that he was with Arya before the guards told him that Lady Lysa was dead?

If that's the case then you would think the guards would be interested in taking Arya off his hands since she's Robin's cousin and I'm sure they knew Sansa was there so she could verfiy if she's really Arya Stark or not.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Stonefish posted:

Sansa and Arya. Arya and Robb. Bran and Jon (twice). Stark siblings keep getting close and getting dragged away. It's getting really loving old.

At this rate, I fully expect Arya to get to Braavos and find Syrio Forel just as he bleeds out and dies without so much as a glance.

Syrio's been dead for a good while now.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think he meant Jaqen.

It is getting a little too much like American Tail though.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If that's the case then you would think the guards would be interested in taking Arya off his hands since she's Robin's cousin and I'm sure they knew Sansa was there so she could verfiy if she's really Arya Stark or not.
I agree it was odd they didn't let in the niece of the late Lady of the House, but no they don't know it's Sansa. They clearly said the 2 Lords and 1 Lady who were interrogating Littlefinger would keep the secret that Sansa was not there as it was just Littlefinger's niece.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think he meant Jaqen.

It is getting a little too much like American Tail though.

There are nooooo Lannisters in Essos and the streets are paved with lemon cakes

Edit: Soooomewhere out there. During the long niiiight. White Walkers marching towards me, and turning me into a whight

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 1, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Somewhere out there
Under the pale moonlight
Arya Stark whispers of me
So she can get to sleep tonight.

edit: beaten.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Shadow posted:

I agree it was odd they didn't let in the niece of the late Lady of the House, but no they don't know it's Sansa. They clearly said the 2 Lords and 1 Lady who were interrogating Littlefinger would keep the secret that Sansa was not there as it was just Littlefinger's niece.

Also why would two random guards know Lysa's entire family tree? Just because someone claims to be a stark is no reason to think they're one of catelyn's kids. Also claiming to be a stark is probably a pretty common sob story in that part of the seven kingdoms at that point. They've probably heard something like that before as part of a con.

• Locked thread