Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The "no psionics" mod only removes it from X-Com's use, not the aliens :(

Also I've been mucking around with the stat caps and I was wondering if I need to stop at 255.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also I've been mucking around with the stat caps and I was wondering if I need to stop at 255.

You may literally need to stop depending on how the game parses the value, otherwise the game will make it wrap around into negatives once it gets above a certain value.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Hmm.

I had forgotten what a complete diceroll this game was.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Gortarius posted:

Hmm.

I had forgotten what a complete diceroll this game was.

Get good?

I mean, a lot of weird things can happen on the geoscape, you can go months without seeing a UFO or whatever if you get unlucky.

But in terms of combat? Do it right and never lose. It's much less random than XCOM2012.

EDIT: Some exemptions apply, like mind control and nighttime terror sites.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I don't think there's any serious changes to the difficulty other than that the original difficulty bug has been fixed, so if you start on Superhuman you're actually playing Superhuman. This is different from the original where no matter what you picked you were playing on Easy.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Remind me, what aliens is it important/beneficial to capture alive? I've got the sectoid that unlocks psi (found unconscious in a crash in my second month :getin:) and Mutons are starting to appear in regular crashes. I don't need to go out of my way to get any of them, do I?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Remind me, what aliens is it important/beneficial to capture alive? I've got the sectoid that unlocks psi (found unconscious in a crash in my second month :getin:) and Mutons are starting to appear in regular crashes. I don't need to go out of my way to get any of them, do I?

A Navigator of any race is super important to get the hyperwave decoder. Also you need a high ranking officer of some sort to get to the endgame.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
For those having trouble with Cyberdiscs, I highly recommend weapons you can spam easily (Laser or Plasma). They are highly resistant to human weapons and explosives (specially without the 4x bug), so don't bother. :v:

Anticheese posted:

Holy poo poo. Did the AI receive a massive tune-up or something? Because it is waaay more brutal than I remember.

I love it.
It still follows the conventions of the original AI, but with much less shortcomings (particularly with melee and 2x2 units).

gradenko_2000 posted:

It should also disable it for the AI (they might try to use it but have no effect though). If they are still controlling you with the mod on, file a bug report.

The stats are regular ints, so you don't need to worry about hitting a limit anytime soon (though it won't fit in the UI).

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You need a Leader and Commander for the end-game (preferably a Sectoid so you also get the psi stuff), you can easily find them in bases and battleships. Mutons don't have a hierarchy (natch) so you don't need to worry about them.
A Navigator is also handy to get the Hyperwave Decoder.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 18, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I always forget about mutons being basic soldiers. So I essentially had everything I needed to go to the endgame by March? drat, I don't think I've ever had a game go that well before. Probably helps that the Navigator took himself and the Commander out thanks to a botched reaction-fire with a stun bomb. Laughed myself silly when I realised what had happened.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Sectoid Base Defense mission on January 6th. Welp. That was a short game. :xcom:

Poor bastards. First week on the job and they already have voices in their head from eldritch horrors beyond the stars telling them to flip out and throw grenades at their buddies.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

moller posted:

But in terms of combat? Do it right and never lose. It's much less random than XCOM2012.

It's kind of funny, because a direct comparison brings out that the odds are more heavily stacked against you in X-COM Ufo Defense, so you end up playing it just so that the odds are not factors in terms of engagement. Hence "do it right and you never lose. Do it wrong and you'll always lose" while XCOM2012 is more "fair" in that you are leaving far more up to random chance.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I dunno, there's only so much you can do about getting sniped from across the map on nighttime terror missions while half your rookies get mind controlled in the middle of the Skyranger and your soldiers reaction fire rocket launchers into each other's heads.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

vyelkin posted:

I dunno, there's only so much you can do about getting sniped from across the map on nighttime terror missions while half your rookies get mind controlled in the middle of the Skyranger and your soldiers reaction fire rocket launchers into each other's heads.

Sure there is.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This strat also applies to any terror mission involving Chrtssalids parked outside your Skyranger, like what happened to me last night.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Speaking of, the other day my entire team got massacred. I ended up with three people booking it back to the Skyranger. One of them made it inside. The second made it to the ramp. The third was a few squares away. The third one got mind controlled on the next turn, so I gave up on getting him back into the Skyranger at all. The second panicked, ON THE RAMP, and lost all her TUs. But I didn't want to just abandon her because she had really promising stats, so I decided to wait a turn in case she would recover and I could move her the two squares it would take for her to escape as well, especially since my last guy was safe at the far end of the plane. Next turn she panicks again and runs as far away from the Skyranger as she can get. I say gently caress it and abort. :xcom: but seriously why would she not run into the goddamn plane.

Cue someone telling me that the ramp counts as the plane for aborting, or something like that. :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's funny because while this video is a joke, it's actually a pretty important distinction between the original game and the new one that the penalty for aborting a mission in the original is MUCH less harsh, so it's actually a fairly viable option.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
As a guy who got into XCom through Enemy Unknown/Xenonauts/UFO Afterlight, but has always had trouble breaking in to UFO Extraterrestrials/XCOM EU, is this the game for me?

Or a better question, is there a good way to figure out how to best play the old XCOM now that this is out?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you got into Xenonauts, this is pretty much the same thing with blocker (not necessarily uglier!) graphics, an easier air combat model and not as much cover.

This is exactly the same as the old XCOM, so the best way to learn how to play the old XCOM is to play this. You will lose scads of soldiers (I'm currently at 75 soldiers hired, 68 killed in Aug 1999) but XCOM is an organization built on a mountain of rookie skulls.

Pro-tip: Since this is old XCOM, everyone effectively has squad sight. If Soldier A sees an alien, Soldier B can shoot at it even if Soldier B does not directly see it. Your chance to hit is lower if the alien is really far, and you might have to shoot through obstacles (not really an issue once you're packing lasers or plasma), but the upshot is that you won't trigger reaction fire and the spotter's TUs are conserved to allow for a fall-back in case you miss.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

vyelkin posted:

Cue someone telling me that the ramp counts as the plane for aborting, or something like that. :v:
You wished. :v:

Someone started a Youtube tutorial series for OpenXcom/X-COM, which might be handy for those of you that never played the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNneKAwvjoU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pro-tip: Since this is old XCOM, everyone effectively has squad sight. If Soldier A sees an alien, Soldier B can shoot at it even if Soldier B does not directly see it. Your chance to hit is lower if the alien is really far, and you might have to shoot through obstacles (not really an issue once you're packing lasers or plasma), but the upshot is that you won't trigger reaction fire and the spotter's TUs are conserved to allow for a fall-back in case you miss.

Is there any accuracy drop off at all, by default? I know OpenXcom adds an option to make weapons less accurate at long ranges, but I remember it being a nonissue in the original game. One of the best tactics was basically to have one or two guys scouting, and everyone else sniping from across the map. Made things a bit boring. That's why I like that there's a setting now to make this less viable, although I haven't played around with it very much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EvilMike posted:

Is there any accuracy drop off at all, by default? I know OpenXcom adds an option to make weapons less accurate at long ranges, but I remember it being a nonissue in the original game. One of the best tactics was basically to have one or two guys scouting, and everyone else sniping from across the map. Made things a bit boring. That's why I like that there's a setting now to make this less viable, although I haven't played around with it very much.

There is kind of in the original design - the chance to hit % indicates the chance for the shot to be directly centered on the target. For those, range doesn't matter because there's no bullet drop or anything so it just keeps going straight until it hits the enemy. For misses though, it applies a random deviation to the trajectory of the bullet, but the bullet itself is still a viable projectile, so it's possible for the deviation to be small enough that the bullet still hits at shorter ranges. So closer is better because the closer they are, the bigger the deviation has to be to completely miss (of course, troops will still find a way to miss at point blank range, but it's less likely than missing at long range).

Once you get someone that has a chance to hit higher than 100% though it all kind of becomes a non-issue and you can easily set them up somewhere with no obstacles and shoot things halfway across the map.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

EvilMike posted:

In X-Com range doesn't factor into the to-hit roll, but higher accuracy leads to lower deviation, and being closer to the target or the target being larger means that shots that are slightly off from perfect will still hit.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Accuracy_formula

Edit: Beaten, badly. :(

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013
Managed to get it running with PlayOnLinux. Holy shiiiiiit. I thought I picked Beginner, but every first mission I get just ends up rocking me. Walk out of the Skyranger? Five shots come pelting down and kill one rookie, sending at least one into a panic. First terror mission? Three cyberdiscs and PSI. Ugh. Time to get good.

Edit: Just played another quick game. Terror Mission in Casablanca. I don't remember the first terror mission being that hard, but 3 or 4 Cyberdiscs, at least two PSI using Sectoids, and about 6 footsoldiers quickly reduced me to rubble. By turn 14, 7 had died, and 2 had been taken over by mind control. :xcom:

Emuticus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 19, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Emuticus posted:

Managed to get it running with PlayOnLinux. Holy shiiiiiit. I thought I picked Beginner, but every first mission I get just ends up rocking me. Walk out of the Skyranger? Five shots come pelting down and kill one rookie, sending at least one into a panic. First terror mission? Three cyberdiscs and PSI. Ugh. Time to get good.

Never ever ever leave the Skyranger on the first turn. Your turn comes first which means none of the aliens have moved yet, so they have full TUs and will reaction fire you all day long. Throw flares or smoke, shoot any aliens you see out the door, but never actually walk out of it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, if you're being super-careful taking a single smoke grenade and leaving it in the plane's inventory (as opposed to putting it on a soldier) will place it on the floor of the skyranger adjacent to the ramp. Have the soldier in that position pick it up, prime it, and toss it at the base of the ramp.

Are you fighting at night? Try to avoid that if at all possible. If you have to do it, take some flares - or my favorite: incendiary rounds.

Move soldiers in pairs or threes, use bounding overwatch, never fire with the spotter, use expacks to level buildings, etc.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Emuticus posted:

There's a Linux version, you don't need POL/wine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Just want to say thank you for this amazing update to one of the greatest games ever! THANK YOU!

Being able to play in higher resolutions is ~so amazing~. I hope someday someone finishes(?) and adds the higher resolution graphics from 'UFO: The Two Sides':

vyelkin posted:

Never ever ever leave the Skyranger on the first turn. Your turn comes first which means none of the aliens have moved yet, so they have full TUs and will reaction fire you all day long. Throw flares or smoke, shoot any aliens you see out the door, but never actually walk out of it.

Hell, you can still die on without leaving. Started an iron man on veteran and didn't see single UFO for the first month, so I landed at my first terror site with everyone kitted out with laser pistols. Saw a floater a few tiles from the bottom of the ramp and crouched so I could get better aim, and the floater immediately reaction shotted my guy. Crouched the next guy and he died to reaction fired too.

Other then that though, the mission went great! Killed 8 reapers and 7 floaters and only lost one more trooper. I also got several turns of the most beloved messages in XCOM:
:gonk: "FLOATER NAVIGATOR HAS PANICKED!" "FLOATER NAVIGATOR HAS GONE BESERK!" :gonk:

:getin:

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a Linux version, you don't need POL/wine.

I looked for one. I only found them for distributions that aren't Ubuntu, and I'm too :downs: to compile it on my own. As it is, POL works really well for it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Emuticus posted:

I looked for one. I only found them for distributions that aren't Ubuntu, and I'm too :downs: to compile it on my own. As it is, POL works really well for it.

It's in a PPA.

http://openxcom.org/downloads-milestones/ -- right below OSX and above Debian.

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

It's in a PPA.

http://openxcom.org/downloads-milestones/ -- right below OSX and above Debian.

Oh. That's new. That wasn't there last night when I was trying to install it. Thanks for pointing that out!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
An alien visible from inside the Skyranger on turn 1 is a really dicey situation to be in. If it's facing away from you, you might be better off leaving well enough alone rather than shooting it, missing and drawing reaction fire. You could go down the ramp and shoot it from there so that the reaction fire isn't going to go inside the Skyranger's compartment, but then that might draw the attention of something else waiting for you outside the ramp.

If it's already facing you, then you don't have much choice - just remember to shoot standing up because kneeling will trigger reaction fire, and if you miss on the first shot, have the second soldier take the second shot to reduce the change of triggering (more) reaction fire.

And since I've mentioned it a bunch, reaction fire works by taking the unit's Reaction stat, multiplying it with the percentage of the unit's remaining TUs, and then comparing that number to the similar result of the enemy unit that just took an action (moving, shooting, kneeling, changing facing). If the reacting unit's score is higher, then it takes a shot. If the moving unit's score is higher, then no shot is taken.

Since the reaction score is multiplied against the remaining TUs, simply having TUs reserved to take a shot isn't a guarantee of causing reaction fire, and if you have multiple soldiers that can take shots against an alien that might still have reaction fire available, it's best to have the soldiers take turns instead of spending all the TUs of one soldier at a time.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
It's actually kind of funny how big of an impact all these quality of life changes have on how the game is actually played. The Turn 1 Sectoid Problem can be solved by re-ordering your operatives in the Skyranger so that the two closest to the exit always have HE Autocannons or Rocket Launchers. In the Bad Old Days you were stuck with a really lovely hand or, if you were super anal, you could rename your soldiers alphabetically (if you didnt already have some crazy name scheme so you could see their stats on the inventory screen) so that you always knew who to give the heavy weapons to for just that purpose.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Hey SupSuper! You working on any new projects?

Thanks for the hundreds of renewed hours playing this. Windows 8.1 wasn't playing nice with this on my machine but giving it admin privileges did the trick for whatever reason. I loved it recently when my soldier stepped off the skyranger, got shot, then panicking throws down a grenade in the middle of my men. Now that's x-com!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm waiting for the public to find out that Goomba Stomping is a feature in OpenX-Com.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Do I misremember or is the possibility to upload new sprite units in seperate files, instead of those big rear end .pck sheets, new with OpenXcom?
Just stick the .gif files for each body part/animation (yeah, it's gonna be like 100-250 files) in a folder with some .rul file to point the way with this piece of nicety:
extraSprites:
- type: ALIENNEW.PCK
width: 32
height: 40
files:
0: Resources/aliennew_alien/ALIENNEW/

This almost makes it easy! (Well, each seperate animation will still have to line up and the only way to check that is ingame as far as I know but the new skirmish mode should help there)

Speaking of the .rul file, s there a special program for this that you have to use or does Notepad++ fit the bill? I could open a modded .rul file all fine and save without any obvious problems.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
SupSuper, I've been meaning to ask - are you the SupSuper that is part of Dream17?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I do hope someone makes OpenTFTD as well someday - I tried it with XComUtil and the difference was just staggering.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
OpenTFTD with mod support to remove all the awful parts would be pretty nice.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Steelion posted:

Just lost a battleship assault because a guy missed three point blank shots on a cryssalid (literally point blank), which led to another guy failing to kill the resulting zombie or chryssalid, which eventually spiraled into losing 5 soldiers in about a 3 square area because nobody could hit the aliens one square over, which left me horribly undermanned taking on the top floor.

:xcom: :suicide:

The solution to chryssalid problems is maintaining dispersion between your troops (even inside a UFO) and having your point men hold primed 0 turn grenades/HE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

UberJew posted:

The solution to chryssalid problems is maintaining dispersion between your troops (even inside a UFO) and having your point men hold primed 0 turn grenades/HE.

Or just clicking 'abort mission' which is far more likely to result in less losses of equipment and manpower.

• Locked thread