Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RTQk4YFnW0
Not many people left who could tell you this story, and I don’t suspect I’ll be able to tell it much longer. But you got to keep telling it to them who don’t know it, or it’ll all be lost in the dust.

The year was 1935. That was when it all fell down around our ears. Maybe it started before then, but that was when we knew there was no going back. It was three calamities that brought us to our knees.

Used to be, everybody wanted to go to the city and make a fortune. Every farm kid and two-bit hustler thought the city was the place to be. And it was, ‘til the banks all croaked. 1929, that was. Suddenly nobody had a job, even them that’d lived there all their lives. Everybody was hungry, and nobody could afford to get out. The honchos in Washington couldn’t do a thing about it, ‘cept set up lines for bread and soup. They called it a depression, and but all we knew was it was hard times.

The next was worse. We thought we’d beat the Spanish flu back in the ‘teens but it came roaring back and overtook us. The government tried to hide it for as long as they could, said they didn’t want a panic in all us poor folk. But soon nobody could ignore the bodies flooding the streets or morgues.

The president begged for help from other countries, but not a bit ever came. Guess they had their own problems, didn’t want to touch us with a ten foot stick. Now everybody was running, like rats from a ship. There were rumors of clean places, safe places, to the west and south. And so that’s where they ran, toward the west coast and the Gulf. A few got lucky enough to go back to farming, but most just ended up as road people, living off what they could find and the small mercies of strangers. Soon the cities were all but empty no-man’s-lands, full of rotting buildings and huge vermin.

Then the dust came. 1935. All them amber waves of grain turned to fine sand and parched bones. The air choked with it, the sky blackened and the land itself seemed to rise up like a hive of wicked hornets.

That was what finally broke the back of the country. That next year there was no election. Far as anybody outside heard, America was dead. Not that anyone noticed. Things’d changed. Small tribes popped up trying to scratch themselves out a place. Feuds turned to wars, fighting over a little oil derrick or a fresh spring. A gun was the most valuable friend you could have in those last days, and life came cheaper by far.

But things started to get stranger. At first, nobody noticed the signal. We was all too busy fighting for our lives and trying not to starve to death. But when things settled a bit, everyone could hear it. Some said it sounded like the static of an untuned radio station, some like when you turn off an engine, that high whine. Hell you probably don’t know what it’s like to not hear it. Started getting stories of ghosts from those who were stupid enough to head back to the cities and lucky enough to get out. Could be all tall tales, but I’ve heard of stranger things too, holding on just like us, out there in the wilds. At least ghosts look human.

Welcome to the dust choked wasteland that was once the American midwest! Its been nearly 30 years since the US government fell and the dust has done nothing but spread. So tell me, who are you? How do you survive in this barren land? What stories have you heard? What do you cling to in the shifting sand?

I'm looking for 3-5 people who can post every day or two, and I'm probably going to stick with the standard playbooks unless somebody gives me a really good reason. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Sin: How did you deal with the look that man gave you, even after you helped him? Where was it that you last felt like you belonged? Do you think that knowing the signal a little more intimately has changed you?

Frankie:Who taught you how to take care of a rig like Old Bessie? Do you have any regular clients or are you more catch-as-catch-can? What do people pay you in?

hctibyllis: This is all your fault for turning me on to Carnivale :cheeky:

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

deadking posted:

This looks really cool! Fausts pen would you mind if I submitted a Hardholder? I haven't played a ton of Apocalypse World before, but it seems like the Hardholder could be a bit unmanageable at times.

Actually, having a Hardholder can be great because it'll both give a stable(ish) home base as well as some internal tension. Go for it!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Chaplain:What did you do when that group of bandits tried to use you? What have you heard about the cults springing up out of the dust? Have you ever taken a life you didn't need or intend to?

Dagny:What was your last big score, and what did it get you? What does retirement look like to you? Do you have any friends who aren't also clients?

Jack: Don't forget to outline your holding, its a pretty big part of the character! What do you do for food and fuel at St Theresa's? How well did everyone react during that last black blizzard that came through? How do you stop the TB from spreading to the uninfected in your holding?

Great apps everybody! I'll probably keep accepting them until about Friday (or sooner if I get a lot more) and then I'll pick five of them. Once again, feel free to ask questions, since I'm certainly going to ask you some! That is, assuming the SA robot gods look kindly on us.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Doc:Tell me about your assistants, what are their names and how did they get hooked up with you? What keeps you up at night? Have you become a different person since the dust came?

Bean:How do you get around? What was that weird thing that happened the last time you played? Have you ever taken advantage of anybody to make a buck?

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

My character is still incoming. After having some time to think on it, I decided my initial concept didn't make much sense. Going to take a little time to rethink it and plan my Savyhead a little better. Should have it posted before Friday. Oh, and I promise it won't take so long to make posts once I have the character worked out, should I get into the game. It always takes more energy for me to create the character than to actually play.

No worries, that's why I figured a week would be good!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Sin:What did you do when that little girl tried to look under your mask while you were sleeping? What did you last do for some scratch? Have you ever encountered anything strange between towns?

Chaplain:Have you ever had any travel companions or followers? Guns have to get hard to take care of in the dust, have you modified them at all? What passage do you turn to when things are at their worst, for you or others?

Dagny:Why'd you refuse to take the cave job? Where do you go when things go wrong? What have you done that you're proud of?

Jack:With so many people in the Sanatorium, you certainly can't do everything yourself. Who are your lieutenants? Do you celebrate any holidays? What did you do with the man who came in babbling about monsters?

Doc:How did you find out about your new abilities? Why were those people afraid of you? How do you defend your infirmary?

Bean:What kind of connection do you have with your instrument? How did you get out of your last bad scrape? You seem like a pretty bad guy, do you have any soft spots?

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Alright everybody, signups are closed! And with nice round numbers and my own generosity I present:

malkav11 as Sin, the Brainer
areyoucontagious as Chaplain, the Gunlugger
Jolinaxas as Dagny, the Operator
deadking as Jack Callahan, the Hardholder
BlurryMystr as Doc, the Angel
and
red plastic cup as Bean, the Skinner!

So now its time to figure out what you already know: how and how well you all know each other. Using the Hx rules, I'd like each of you to flesh out your relationships a bit. You can be as long winded or as short as you please, just as long as everybody knows each other. I'd also like explanations from everyone who isn't Jack about how you came to be at Saint Theresa's and how closely you're associated.

Once the Hx phase is over I'll let everybody know when I have the OP up, but you can expect about a day's turnaround. Ready? Go!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

quote:

Also - since I've never played with or as an Operator, how exactly should we handle the contacts/crew bit? I guess just have 1-2 NPCs - I don't think any of the other PCs quite fit the bill.

Yeah, I'd go with NPCs unless maybe you've done some work for Jack on the side. Completely up to you, but just let me know the NPC names and their connection to you.

BlurryMystr posted:

Should we all assume that we are a part of the Hardholder's settlement? I think it'd definitely be appropriate for my angel.

Yeah, if you want to be a fixture of the settlement, that's perfectly ok. The association comment was directed more toward the ones who had wandering as a pretty big part of their background.

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 21, 2014

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

I'm working on the game thread right now, and I should have it up by the end of the day. We'll be using the Invisible Castle dice roller to link any rolls you make. Please post your updated Hx with your character sheet in the first post of the thread. If you have any admin-type questions, just let me know!

Also, everything looks good to me with regard to character sheets, but if anybody notices mistakes in rules or progression, please tell me. This is the first time I've MC'd a PBP game, so I will take all the help I can get.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

You're right! I had meant to edit that in earlier. For the first session, I'd like to see everybody doing what they do best, so here are the stats to highlight:

Sin: Show me how Weird you can be
Chaplain: Take aim on Hard
Dagny: Get to work on Cool
Jack: Lead Hard
Doc: Sharpen your scalpels
and
Bean: Turn up the Hot

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Thread is live!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey guys, welcome back out of the cold. Can I just get a headcount to see if everybody's still into playing?

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey everybody, I'll have another post up tonight. I figure just responding to everybody who last posted should be ok just as long as nobody gets too far ahead of anyone else. Obviously that'll change when you guys meet up or whatever, but if you'd prefer me to wait on everyone let me know. deadking, good call on the wealth, I figured the roll would come when the subject came up. Also, feel free to flesh out details as you like in your posts, make up characters, places, stuff like that. There are a lot of people in St Theresa's, and they've all got to do something!

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 29, 2014

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

On it in a bit, just getting some stuff together from the power outage last night.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey areyoucontagious, my fault for not reading carefully enough, but I'm pretty sure there should have been a roll in that interaction. Either Hot to convince him to give you the info or Hard to force it with credible threat of violence. The moment's past now, but just for next time.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Got far too drunk to exist last night, I'll try and have a post up sometime after the head explosions stop.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Jack, Doc and Sin, since this is the first character/character interaction in the game, I'll let you guys riff for a little bit until something happens. So have fun!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Sorry but work's been a meat grinder for a couple of days now, post coming earlier tomorrow.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

I don't want to progress until Bean and Doc have posted their answers to things, but I'll be on it once they do!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey guys, I just updated the second post to show all of the NPCs with their (approximate) ties to the characters and general knowledge about them. If there's anything I missed or anything you'd like changed up, just let me know. With regards to Joyride, I'm going to say that he's been away for a few days with some of his people, which is why Gaffney mentioned him at the beginning. That should reconcile the different ideas we had about the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Jolinaxas posted:

Not sure, exactly.

Honestly, work things got a lot hotter than I had expected and I had forgotten about the thread. When I looked, a few people stopped posting, so I figured interest had waned. If you guys are still down I can keep going, but the bar scene can't really move without a push. Sorry for the radio silence!

• Locked thread