Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Dagny, the Operator

To hear the old folks tell it, this place used to be a paradise. Food? Just run into one of the fields that covered this place and grab it. Booze? All over the place, even if it was against whatever used to call itself the law. Fuel? Bubbling up out of the ground, uncoaxed, and ready for you to throw into your hot rod of choice. A lot of folks get all sorts of down, wishing for what was, or may have been. gently caress nostalgia - the world's as bountiful as its ever been. You've just got to be clever enough and ruthless enough and willing enough to take it.

How do you survive in this barren land?

You gotta know people to survive. It pays to have someone willing to be a set of eyes or ears - you can't be everywhere at once. You see a house, or homestead, no one there? You bet your bottom dollar there's something worth it inside. Most chickenshits grab the first shiny object they can carry and bolt, but patience is a virtue. Most importantly, you gotta keep making moves - you get complacent and the dust turns to quicksand real fast.

What stories have you heard?

Half my job is sifting through piles of bullshit looking for gold. What I can tell you is that I've heard it from multiple reliable sources that the dust is actin' funny. Receding or lessening in some places, and overtaking some of what used to be considered the calmer spots. A shame, I used to think I knew the area, but it seems the area doesn't want to be known anymore.

What do you cling to in the shifting sands?

Somewhere out there, the dust is hiding plenty. Most stores and factories are picked clean, but I'm sure there's a stockpile of something worth sinking into the quicksand of retirement for.

pre:
Dagny, the Operator

Look: Woman, Vintage Wear, Pretty Face, Weary Eyes, Energetic Body
Stats: Cool+2 / Hard=0 / Hot-1 / Sharp+2 / Weird-1
XP: X X X O O
Harm: -

Operator Moves:

Moonlighting: you get 2-juggling. Whenever there’s a stretch of
downtime in play, or between sessions, choose a number of your
gigs to work. Choose no more than your juggling. Roll+cool. On a
10+, you get profit from all the gigs you chose. On a 7–9, you get
profit from at least 1; if you chose more, you get catastrophe from
1 and profit from the rest. On a miss, catastrophe all around. ?e
gigs you aren’t working give you neither profit nor catastrophe.
Whenever you get a new gig, you also get +1juggling.

Easy to Trust: when you try to seduce or manipulate another
player’s character, roll+Hx instead of roll+hot. An NPC, roll+cool
instead of roll+hot.

Gigs:
Deliveries (1-Barter/Bushwhacked)
Scavenging (1-Barter/Impoverished)
Brokering Deals (1-Barter / Shut Out)
Pursuing Luxury (Beauty in your Life / You Wind Up in a Bad Spot)

Crew/Contacts:
Jackson (Sneak-thief, male)
Irene (Shotgun-toting drunkard, female)

Gear:
9mm (2-Harm Close Loud)
Oddments worth 1-Barter (A stock of pre-Apocalypse magazines)
Red Dress, with a heavy-woven long woolen coat (1-Armor)

Hx with:
Sin : +/-0
Bean:  + 3
Chaplain: +3
Jack: +2
Doc: +2

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
What was your last big score, and what did it get you?

Well, me and a couple fellas I know, Morris and Santa Fe, we were rummaging around this farmhouse. The root and canning cellar was, as usual, picked clean, but the fella who lived there - a pastor, judging by the bibles and stuff lying around - must've figured something awful was comin' and hid a bunch of canned goods and whiskey in the floorboards under his bed. Morris is one hefty son of a bitch, and found it accidentally while steppin' over where the bed furniture used to be. We managed to get enough in trade to pal around for a while, score some cigarettes, -and- get Morrie's leg unbroke and unsplintered. Well, mostly, anyways...

What does retirement look like to you?

A house, enough of whatever the hell I need to trade to live comfortably, and a bunch of fellas scary enough to keep bandits away, but easy enough on the eyes to keep me from gettin' bored.

Do you have any friends who aren't also clients?

You say that like those things are mutually exclusive. Lemme ask you this - if a real old pal of yours screwed you on a business deal, he wouldn't exactly be counted among your friends anymore, now would he? The same goes in reverse. Now, technically I haven't had any business dealings with Greta as of yet. A real odd duck, that one - still lives with her pa, helpin' him carry stuff to market. He's some kind of tinker, I guess you'd call him. Better than makin' a living on her back, like her sister.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Why'd you refuse to take the cave job?

I wasn't gonna take it anyway, on account of the no-good crew that Joyride was puttin' me in with, but well, it's like this: any cave you find is going to be caked, positively choking, in dust. If there's anyone in there, they're going to be the kind of crazy you really don't want to tangle with. And they're dark as gently caress, so you gotta carry a light of some kind, which makes you easy to spot.

I don't like caves, okay?

Where do you go when things go wrong?

Well, there's this small town - Grafton, I think it's called - where I offload merch sometimes - the townfolk themselves are gossipy as hell, but outside, there's a bunch of grain silos - long cleared out, before you ask - that are a real keen spot to lie low in, as long as you bring supplies.

What have you done that you're proud of?

I hate to brag, but I'm real proud of this series of jobs I pulled for this kinda creepy family a little ways north. They kept askin' me for very strange things - big ol' curtains, wood varnish. They had the goods to back up their jobs, so I did what I could. Turns out they were fixing up an old theater! One of these days, I might head back up that way and see if they're puttin' on shows.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
I tell everyone Hx+1

Jack Callahan once let me down in a pinch and left me holding the bill - I tell him Hx-1.
A little while back (let's say two weeks), Dagny showed up with a bunch of shifty-looking associates, but he only wanted to let one of them in, since there was a premium on space (as explained in one of his posts, they've been expanding too fast). She had to slide them some extra trade-bait to help 'em out on their way to the next nearest civilized town.

I add 1 to the Hx you all tell me - I depend upon clear relationships.

Also - since I've never played with or as an Operator, how exactly should we handle the contacts/crew bit? I guess just have 1-2 NPCs - I don't think any of the other PCs quite fit the bill.

As mentioned above, Dagny came into the hardhold about two weeks previous, having to send some "business associates" packing. She's down to the 1-barter she starts with (which I'll establish as a stock of pre-Apocalypse magazines in fairly good condition) after spending the rest of her trade goods on costs of living while waiting to hear anything that could lead her to another gig.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 21, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Back, and still good to go, though I'm still working on crew/contacts - should have that done tomorrow morning-ish.

Her current Hx are:
Hx with:
Sin : +/-0
Bean: + 3
Chaplain: +3
Jack: +2
Doc: +2

A tie, so I'll ask red plastic cup to highlight my other stat.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Not sure, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Yeah, it's not your fault, I'm still waiting for a response (and an answer to the hold I spent on read a person) from AYC before I carry on.

• Locked thread