Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
Oh this sounds awesome. Gonna post a character tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Doc, the Angel

Who are you?
Doc. It’s not the name I was born with; I got a real name, first and last, like most of us born before the bad years. But everyone calls me Doc, so… that’s what I go by. If it isn’t obvious, I patch people up, try and keep ‘em from getting sick. Been doing it since before all this happened, I’ll probably keep on doing it until I can’t.

How do you survive in this barren land?
People get hurt, they need someone to fix ‘em. I can set a broken bone, sew up a cut, fight off infections… most of the time, anyway. I save lives, friend, and those that I can’t save, I ease their passing. That is a valuable commodity in these trying times. Fix someone up and you won’t ever have to pay for your own drinks in that town, I tell you.

What stories have you heard?
Had a guy on my table once, covered in all these short but deep cuts, looked like he’d run through a tangle of roses, only with thorns three inches long and sharp as all hell. He was burning up and delirious from some kind of poison or toxin. His buddies said they’d been caught in a dust storm and they didn’t see what happened. He spent the night in a kind of agony I wouldn’t wish on anyone and died. Never seen anything like it. Don’t know what could do that to a man, but I’m extra careful not to get caught by dust storms out in the open these days.

What do you cling to in the shifting sand?
The signal. Lot of folks don’t like it, especially folks born before the bad days who remember what it was like without it. But it comforts me for some reason. I dunno. Makes things peaceful. And when I hear the signal, I find that… well, I can touch someone and take away their pain. I can’t explain it. It just happens. So when I feel anxious or afraid or overwhelmed… I just listen to the signal.

quote:

Look: Man. Casual wear plus utility. Rugged face. Hard eyes. Sturdy body.

Stats
Cool -1
Hard +1
Hot =0
Sharp +2
Weird +1

Moves

Infirmary: you get an infirmary, a workspace with life support, a drug lab and a crew of 2 (Shigusa & Mox, maybe). Get patients into it and you can work on them like a savvyhead on tech.

Healing touch: when you put your hands skin-to-skin on a wounded person and open your brain to them, roll+weird. On a 10+, heal 1 segment. On a 7–9, heal 1 segment, but you’re acting under fire from your patient’s brain. On a miss: first, you don’t heal them. Second, you’ve opened both your brain and theirs to the world’s psychic maelstrom, without protection or preparation. For you, and for your patient if your patient’s a fellow player’s character, treat it as though you’ve made that move and missed the roll. For patients belonging to the MC, their experience and fate are up to the MC.

Gear
* Angel kit
* Sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
* Jacket with lots of pockets, comfortable slacks

Hx
Sin -2
Chaplain +1
Dagny +0
Jack Callahan +0
Bean -1

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 27, 2014

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Fausts Pen posted:

Doc:Tell me about your assistants, what are their names and how did they get hooked up with you? What keeps you up at night? Have you become a different person since the dust came?

I used to move around a lot - have scalpel, will travel, you know? Sometimes I'd meet someone who wanted to come with me. Lots of worse ways to earn your bed and breakfast than helping out an old sawbones. And a lotta these kids - most of them were under twenty - I was their best chance at getting out of bad situations. I had five assistants at one point, had ourselves a little traveling clinic. That was nice.

But I'm not as spry as I used to be and I needed to settle in one place. Bank and Fisher stayed and helped me set up shop, the rest went their own ways. Bank's a good kid, a little slow but he follows instructions to the letter. Fisher's bright, but she lacks patience. They balance each other out most of the time.

Sometimes when I'm lying in bed, I listen to the signal and I'll think that I can pick out a pattern in all that noise. I'll lie there for hours trying to make sense of it, figure out what it's trying to tell me. Then the sun is up and I have to start another day.

I'm definitely a different person than I was before the dust. I studied medicine to make a living; I was more concerned with helping myself than helping others. Now, it's all that matters to me. The dust and the signal have helped me find my calling.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Fausts Pen posted:

Doc:How did you find out about your new abilities? Why were those people afraid of you?

About a year after the dust came, I was spending time in a small camp of survivors, stitching 'em up to pay for my supper. It was a nice place, soil wasn't as dead as it was in most other places, there was grass and a few trees and they had a small garden going.

A guy who was working on putting up defenses around the camp slipped and sliced open his leg. I was nearby at the time, so when they shouted for me, I was there quick and slapped my hands on the wound to slow the bleeding. I shouted for someone to grab my kit. As I was waiting there, trying to keep this dumbfuck kid from bleeding out with my bare hands, I kind of... zoned out. The signal got really loud in my head and it drowned everything out. When they finally brought the kit to me, I took my hands away and there was nothing there. Just a lot of blood smeared over intact skin.

No one would come near me. They were all wide eyed and staring at me. I thought it was because of what I'd done, but then I looked down and saw that all the grass around me was dead.

I left the next day.

Fausts Pen posted:

How do you defend your infirmary?
I got a sawn-off shotgun that I keep near my kit. I used to keep it in my bag but that poo poo's heavy. Never had to use it, usually a good look down those big ol' barrels is enough to convince someone to piss off. Bank and Fisher both have guns, but I don't know how good they are with them. Other than that, I usually find someone I can trust in the community and slide some jingle their way to keep an eye on the place. ((I'd like this to be another PC, a fighty one, if they're cool with that!))

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Fausts Pen posted:

Alright everybody, signups are closed! And with nice round numbers and my own generosity I present:

malkav11 as Sin, the Brainer
areyoucontagious as Chaplain, the Gunlugger
Jolinaxas as Dagny, the Operator
deadking as Jack Callahan, the Hardholder
BlurryMystr as Doc, the Angel
and
red plastic cup as Bean, the Skinner!

So now its time to figure out what you already know: how and how well you all know each other. Using the Hx rules, I'd like each of you to flesh out your relationships a bit. You can be as long winded or as short as you please, just as long as everybody knows each other. I'd also like explanations from everyone who isn't Jack about how you came to be at Saint Theresa's and how closely you're associated.

Once the Hx phase is over I'll let everybody know when I have the OP up, but you can expect about a day's turnaround. Ready? Go!

Should we all assume that we are a part of the Hardholder's settlement? I think it'd definitely be appropriate for my angel.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

I'll have Hx up this evening!

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Of course, I post that I'm going to do Hx and then the forums crash. Should have it done shortly!

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

I settled at St. Theresa's about a year ago and set up shop with Bank and Fisher helping out. It's a good place; Jack Callahan has taken pains to keep it clean and safe. I'm glad to have a place where I can help people and not worry about having to hit the road.

Jack Callahan has been beside me and seen everything I've seen. We live our lives in the midst of sickness and death in ways that no one else can ever really understand. There aren't many out there who can handle seeing the things we've seen. I feel bd for him, sometimes. I could always pack up and leave if things got too bad, he didn't have that choice. I tell Jack to take Hx+2.

I figure Chaplain is doomed to self-destruction. It's a real shame, too, the man is a fighter, and his faith is inspiring. But this world of ours, the way it is now, it's nothing but shades of gray. And if I've learned anything, it's this: men who only see black and white don't last long. I tell Chaplain to take Hx-1.

I tell everyone else Hx+1. I'm an open book.

But at the same time, I try not to get attached. I take what you've all told me and give it -1.

Hx
Sin -2
Chaplain +1
Dagny +0
Jack Callahan +0
Bean -1

areyoucontagious gets to highlight one of my stats!

Sin, you should highlight Cool.

Jack, you should highlight Sharp.

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 26, 2014

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

areyoucontagious posted:

Sorry guys, same deal here! Forums were down and then I was traveling yesterday. I'll be able to get a post up shortly. For our Hardholder's stat, let's highlight Sharp.

Dagny, highlight Hard.

I think you mean Doc should highlight Sharp? I should really remember to put the character name on the top of my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

I'll have a post up this evening!

• Locked thread