Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

commy gun posted:

Like that girl left the guy in MV's av to die in Game of Thrones.

If Ricky Davis was on Game of Thrones I would actually watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
yeah i dunno how the heat will survive the loss of battier AND beasley

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

I may be under rating Wade, looking at his regular season stats now. But I think his knee is only gonna get worse from here on out.

Everyone is to a really funny degree. He's still really good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah Afflalo has been overrated at points in his career but he was genuinely good last season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Between Harden and Wade y'all have the memories of loving goldfish.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hmmm should I consider the entire season that just happened or the last three games I saw....YOU'RE RIGHT, SKIP, WADE IS TERRIBLE AND SHOULD RETIRE

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

Most posters in this thread have correctly identified when Harden/Wade were good (almost all previous periods of play) and when they were not good (this year's playoffs).

Yes but then they try to use that tiny sample of games where they were not good to say something meaningful about their overall quality as players, which is the issue.

morestuff posted:

Yeah, he's a solid starter at a talent-poor position, can shoot threes and defend pretty well. His contract's reasonable, too. He's not a franchise changer but he'd be a pretty good third guy.

Yup. Simmons made some huge deal out of him being like the third best shooting guard in the league a few years ago and it blew everyone's expectations up. He's a really good role player and has generally been paid as such. Seems fine to me.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 17, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hayward wanted Paul George money last year which: lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hoops hype rumors are awesome. They are complete bullshit, but it's really funny to look at.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inside Outside posted:

You say this like Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge aren't going to give up a first rounder in the max deal sign and trade for him.

Please don't tease me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zogo posted:

1991 Magic Johnson

oh for gently caress's sake you loving robot

Also Dantley didn't leave he got traded in the middle of the next season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have no idea who keeps buying them but the market is flooded with random autobiographies of marginally famous athletes. Like, Wayne Chrebet wrote a book and got it published.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Patty Mills is going to be so lovely for whoever signs him next, unless it's the Spurs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shear Modulus posted:

Does Richard Jefferson still suck?

A lot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

Well Hedo was actually on the Spurs for one year, the Spurs didn't really draft Dragic the Suns wanted to move up for him.

Yeah that trade was done way before the Spurs made the pick, he just had to officially be a Spur for a half second because the draft is silly like that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Nick Calathes is an rear end in a top hat who walks across the court barefoot after he's done playing basketball/working out

who cares

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Get your icky rear end feet off of my floor drat it

are you like licking the floor? are the bottom of people's shoes somehow less gross? you are a weird dude, whyteryce.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Good news for you MV! Summer League watch-ability jusut went up 200%

Now I'm tempted to buy VIP courtside seats so I can get on camera overreacting to every single dunk ala Lakers douche kid

Yeeeeeeaaaaah. You can pretty much sit courtside anyway, so you will have a great view of him jamming on soon to be d-leaguers.

and lol at Cavs fans actually thinking LeBron might go back to that disaster of a franchise. He already escaped Ohio once, he's not going back.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Terry Glenn posted:

Derrick Williams shot a bunch of 3s while beating beat Duke and parlayed that into a #2 overall pick because everyone was like "surely this will continue in the pros."

He was the best player in the country that year. He shot well from three the entire season, and was also good driving and playing in the post. He led the nation in eFG%, and was a really good rebounder too. He went 2nd because he had one of the best seasons any college player has had in the last decade. Just because you only saw him play one game doesn't mean that's why he was drafted.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Swaggy P is a team player unlike a certain person who hisses at people.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I give it like five years before people are pining for the Bobcats and wearing ironic Josh McRoberts jerseys.

I don't know why McBob is the defining Bobcat for me but he is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Am I the only one who gets confused as gently caress when people say Hornets now? I know I made like 7000 posts about the terrifying Pelican mascot, but when I hear Hornet my brain still thinks New Orleans now and I have to stop and remember that it's the Bobcats. The Bobcats are such a delightfully awful franchise it feels wrong for them to get to claim Zo and all that. They deserve their boring create a team name. Bismack Biyombo is going to look all wrong in teal.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Gerald Wallace is the best player in franchise history by a mile, but associating an actual good player with them feels wrong. Morrison works but I always think of him on the Lakers bench. Plus can you really be a True Bobcat if you didn't play college basketball in North Carolina?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you're going with someone from the legendary "gently caress it, people really like the UNC team that just won a title, right?" draft I feel like it needs to be Sean May.

Hahaha do you guys remember that time Sean May was a lottery pick? Oh man. That was so much fun.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Am I allowed to be upset at Utah for drafting Deron Williams over Chris Paul that year or is that just being greedy in a draft where Marvin Williams went 2nd?

BIZORT posted:

I remember there was a preseason where Primoz Brezec was dropping threes everywhere and people thought he was this hidden gem that was going to murder the NBA

Someone had to spend a solid like 10 minutes talking me putting actual money on Marco Bellinelli being rookie of the year after one crazy summer league game. Which is funny enough on it's own, but then remember that he got drafted the same year as Kevin Durant.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Great White Hope posted:

I think Deron over Paul is a Hakeem-Jordan situation where you passed one elite player to get a slightly less but still elite player, so there's not really much to complain about, but that's just me.

Deron was awesome and I love him but he was way worse than Paul aside from the whenever they played head to head. Paul is in the discussion for best point guard of all time.

God bless all those poor Utah fans who spent all that time on the internet trying to argue that Deron was better though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

Highlights of Boston Celtics draft bust Michael Smith, who I legitimately never heard of until I found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pat55LIN9SU

Yesssss, I got fouled

No one did more to keep the basketball dreams of goofy white people alive than Red.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mandrel posted:

It feels like there was a sizable internet contingent that just now gave in on Deron not being the 1b/2nd best PG in the league like, this season. We had people on this forum still arguing for it as recently as last season.

Well at one point he was. And he was actually really good last year after the first couple months.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wilt and Russell's rebound numbers are hilarious. The pace was out of control and no one could shoot for poo poo. If someone ever tells you that they don't play defense like they did back in the day laugh at that person.

gently caress you, late 90s.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I recently saw someone talking about how old players were "more skilled, all you have to do is look at the stats."

The lesson here is that old people are gigantic morons.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wait the Wolves are giving up Love AND a pick? Jesus christ, Flip.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My coach would have benched the gently caress out of Cous for dribbling with his eyes down like that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shear Modulus posted:

N: So Woj says David Blatt, your Euroleague 2014 champion head coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv, is the frontrunner for the Cavs coaching job.

V: I guess it's too soon to rehire Mike Brown again.

That seems like a good hire.

The guy I think teams should be looking at is Nick Nurse. Great offensive coach who won everywhere he went in the D-league and has worked for some smart people.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Love is a better three point shooter than Bosh, but it's not that big of a difference, whereas Bosh is a much better shooter everywhere else on the floor. He is a better rebounder than Bosh, that is really the only area where I'm comfortable saying Love is better than Bosh.

It's a pretty big difference, especially when you consider how many more he shoots and the type of looks he gets versus the type of looks Bosh gets. And he's not like a little bit better as a rebounder, he is one of the 5 or so best rebounders in all of basketball. Love's a lot better than Bosh and that isn't a knock on Bosh in the slightest.

IcePhoenix posted:

Kyrie Irving isn't exactly a model of health, either. And what the hell, better shooter? Wade's rookie year is the only season that he's had a worse shooting year than Kyrie's best. And with similar or higher usage, too.

He's much much better at the rim, but Irving has a way better jumper.

But yeah lol at calling Wade's health a ticking time bomb when you're comparing him to Kyrie loving Irving. The last time Kyrie made it through a season healthy he was in loving high school

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 19, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I don't know, Love is really prolific from the top of the key to the left elbow, but basically hits around the same amount of threes (or less) than Bosh does on other spots on the floor. I don't think this is insignificant when decent to good defensive teams are starting to get really good at chasing guys off their preferred three point shooting spots.

Those threes are way harder than the wide open corner ones that Bosh typically takes. And again you're ignoring that Love takes like three times as many and is already the focus of opposing defenses in a way that Bosh isn't (which is probably why he is forced to take more shots from the top of the key than from the corners)

EvanTH posted:

Hah LeBron's non-answer after that last game really let folks run away with speculation. It seemed to me he was thinking something like "I am not thinking much about my contract at all right now because I just lost the finals I want to go hang out with my family for a while or something. Also I shouldn't even talk about my contract because everyone seems to hate me when I do that" and instead it came out all cagey IT'S A DISTINCT AND REASONABLE POSSIBILITY THAT I WILL LEAVE MIAMI NOW because he phrased it all adult and non-committal.

ESPN literally put up a clock to time how long his pause before answering was (like 3 seconds, apparently), and used this is evidence that he wants to leave, and not that he was trying to think about what he said before a national television audience.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 20, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is going to be even more annoying than his last potential free agency because at least that time it ended in him actually going somewhere. This time he's going to reup for one year and then we're going to do this same stupid poo poo again next year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Bosh just about never shot threes in Toronto but he still was an excellent shooter over the rest of the floor, and better than Love is when he gets chased away from his spot.

Well Kevin Love shoots way better than Bosh on a shitload of attempts (a thing you keep stubbornly ignoring just so you don't have to admit you're wrong) so that must not happen very often! Maybe NBA coaches don't read enough Grantland and haven't unlocked the secret that will totally reverse like five years of him being an awesome shooter.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 20, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

@Chris_Broussard
Sources: Nuggets offering Kenneth Faried, Wilson Chandler and 11th pick for Kevin Love and Kevin Martin

Hold the phone, Wilson Chandler?! Why didn't Minnesota accept that deal right away?

It's better than the lovely Boston deal everyone keeps calling the best one on the table.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

did Cleveland just get an actually good coach weird

edit: that is to say the Blatt rumor is confirmed ?

Seems to be. And yeah that seems like a really good hire, especially in a league where loving Vinny del negro is getting interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

If they aren't ecstatic about that trade they are completely out of their minds.

Seriously you are getting one of the 5-10 best players in the whole league. Klay Thompson is fine but is he even ever going to be an all star? He's pretty one dimensional on offense.

• Locked thread