Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

New dynasties are formed when the old one is unmade. There are many questions coming into this year's offseason but will any get a satisfying answer?

First is the free agency with some big names and some no names. And for them there are quite a few teams with plenty of cap space this off season with notably the Lakers, Cleveland, Mavericks and potentially the Heat. Will the Miami Big 3 stay put or disband? Will Love get traded before the season starts and to where? Will any team take on Lance Stephenson? Which city does LaLa want to live in? Will Kobe have any teammates to not share the lunch table with or a coach to not listen to? Can the Bulls grab someone to teach Derrick Rose how to play basketball again?

Notable big free agents:
Lebron James (early temination)
Carmelo Anthony (player option)
Kyle Lowry
Eric Bledsoe (restricted)
Luol Deng
Lance Stephenson
Isaiah Thomas (restricted)
Boris Diaw
2 times NBA Champion starting point guard Mario Chalmers
Jodie Meeks
Royce White

Full list here: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2014.htm
Cap situation of teams here: http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

In addition to the Lakers the Cavaliers currently do not have a head coach.

The second big thing of the offseason is of course the draft and this year's is to be a very hyped up one. There are better minds and a whole thread to talk about it here so I don't have much to add; because you see the Knicks dislike the general concept of having draft picks.

Top 7 picks:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Milwaukee Bucks
3. Philadelphia 76ers
4. Orlando Magic
5. Utah Jazz
6. Boston Celtics
7. Los Angeles Lakers

Draft thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632641

Finally there is the saga of Donald Sterling who has hired a crack team of investigators to unearth the league's dirtiest secrets. Where are the bodies? Is there really a fix? We will find out, or maybe we won't whatever.

Important offseason dates:
June 16 -- Offseason begins
June 23 -- Melo's player option decision deadline
June 26 -- The NBA Draft
June 30 -- Player option deadline
July 1 -- Free Agency begins
July 5-11 -- Orlando Summer League
July 10 -- Free agents signings start
July 11-21 -- Las Vegas Summer League
July 18 -- Amnesty provision deadline (notably Carlos Boozer and Kendrick Perkins)
August 30-September 14 -- FIBA World Cup of Basketball
October 4-24 -- NBA Preseason
October 28 -- Offseason ends

Remember,

It's y before the a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

OP you forgot reigning Olympic Scoring Champion and NBA Champ Patty Mills in your list of big free agents. He could very well dupe some team into giving him Gary Neal Money or more.

I did not forget.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFXsntujvZA

Wade is terrible, he got poop'd on the court by Splitter.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

How is he able to sign for less than the vet minimum? Because he's been out of the league?

When doltos said 'current salaries' it meant last year's contracts. Odom only signed at the very, very end of the season to come practice/workout that's why it is so small.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Look at the OP you big doofus

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Between Rose, Odom and Wade I guess the theme of today's chat is has-beens.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Still waiting for his LP to drop, one day, some day.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

What about a scenario where Bosh wants to leave, how high would he go for and who with space would currently want him? Or what could Miami get in a sign and trade with him?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/57290/amare-sets-goal-to-return-to-all-star-status

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Tiago Splitter was on my flight today and looked surprisingly normal for being a 6'11" dude. Way less intimidating than when the WWE dude the Great Khali walked by me in a terminal and looked like he could casually rip me in half.

Did you ask him to sign your baby's/your belly?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN · 1m

A person close to Carmelo Anthony confirms that Melo, as expected, will inform Knicks on Monday that he's opting out. "One hundred percent."

Melos going to walk out of New York and into Chicago never to be seen ever again.

:rip: it was fun

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

On one hand you have players mouthlessly furiously shaking their heads telling Melo to turn left to not come here but then they also want him to come on the small chance they will stop being asked to play 48 minutes in a playoff game.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

I kinda want to see how disastrous a full season of Melo-less Knicks would be.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Carmelo, in New York you might have be the biggest sports star in the media capital of the world, but here in Chicago the people treat you right and let you dunk your healthy fritos five dollar footlongs through a basketball hoop

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Ever since Jay-Z abandoned New York we have lost Cano and are now on the verge of losing Melo. No man should've had this much power

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

gingerberger posted:

Is there any chance (I know it would be small) that the Knicks will be OK next year? Is there a possible lesser version Gay leaving the Raptors? The east is really bad, could this team somehow hit a spark and win 40 games without Melo?

They couldn't win 40 games with Melo this year. If Melo wasn't on the team this year they would have struggled to win 20.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Looks like Orlando is going all in for the Melo + Bron Bron sweepstake

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Jose and Lin, mister simmons how are we supposed to 3peat with those two against the elite pgs of the league.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Ah the Gay-era, the dreaded eleven months of Gay.

By the way can we have our draft pick back, I don't think Bargnani works as advertised. We'll also throw in a Calderon.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

gingerberger posted:

Do we know why? Like obviously Melo can get buckets, is it because he thinks he'll draw the 2nd best defender? Aside from wanting to play with great players in general I don't know why Melo would be the one he'd really want to play with; Melo doesn't seem like a guy who'd be much fun to play with.

For whatever it's worth (~roughly 2.3 bargnanis) no former teammate or coach of melo has anything negative to say about his character and for all this hyperbole of sports fans saying he has to he just has to be the number one scorer on the team, I refer you to his international stats and videos.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It's a most dangerous game of chicken; Melo knows Phil needs him or he will end up look like a fat washed out fool trying to run the triangle with calderon jr smith and bargnani, and Phil knows Melo doesn't want to relocate his family, namely his son who would have to get used to a new environment where kids bully him because of his father, go back to the loaded west or play with amar'e stoudamire the point guard version for atleast 3 more years.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

What about the defensive side of the ball hello calderon what do you mean no hablo english you were just answering questions hey where yall taking me

Look at these possible lineups:
Calderon/Shumpert/Melo/Amare/Bargnani
Calderon/Hardaway jr/Shumpert/Melo/Bargnani

Give shumpert dpoy just for being asked to defend five people.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

chunkles posted:

Rockets officially decline Parsons making him an RFA per Marc Spears.

:eyepop: What's the pulse over at rockets nation

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The Heat currently only have Cole and Napier on their payroll for next year.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It is now the morning of June 10th, what will be Pat Riley's first opening move be with so much cap space? Oh already we have just received news from the wire that Riley has signed three FAs, let's see who the Miami Heat has just signed... the Heat has signed... Derek Fisher, Phil Jackson and Jason Kidd?! And they have formed some kind of Miami-New York-Brooklyn triumvirate?! And we... have a live feed at the Barclays Center of LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Garnett shaking each others hands! What is going on... how is this possible? The three owners have just released a press statement that their team now fields 30 players and this is the new NBA, either ball with us or die... oh Jupiter where is the commissioner in all this? Another trade... they have traded nine future first round picks to the Timberwolves for the services of Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio! We have breaking news on a live feed at San Antonio... what... Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon have dragged Gregg Popovich out of his home and is beating him to half death on the street with... is that Derrick Rose's legs?!?! Paul Pierce just got stabbed! More trades, the triumvirate has traded a cruise, a cable channel and a mine for NBA Head Referee Mike Bantom! This is not basketball... this is not even a sport or a game anymore... this is... this is......

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I dunno about everyone, most people believed LeBron would take near max while Wade and Bosh take big cuts.

It's only people listening to that narrative about those Dr Dre Beats money that means LeBron would go ahead and take the minimum because.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Talk about defecating on the brooklyn bridge

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Derrick Rose isn't going to recruit Carmelo Anthony.

The Chicago Bulls' point guard reiterated that point again Sunday, telling Yahoo! Sports that it's "not his job" to be part of a sales pitch to the All-Star forward, who is set to become a free agent Tuesday after opting out of his contract with the New York Knicks.

"If they want to come, they can come," Rose told Yahoo! Sports.

What surely sent shockwaves throughout the Bulls' organization late Sunday night was Rose's revelation that he still isn't sure if he wants to participate in Team USA's training camp late next month in Las Vegas.

"I still don't know yet," Rose told Yahoo!. "If I'm feeling right and the time is [right], for sure I will go out there. My body is responding good, but you never know."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/11154920/derrick-rose-recruiting-carmelo-chicago-bulls-not-my-job

The dream is dead, RIP Derrick "100 percent" Rose

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The last time someone with such a blatant and early grab of power appeared he became the dictator of a republic.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

pylb posted:

Rose is only supposed to practice with the SL squad, not play in the actual games.

Could all those wicked sick closed door gym dunks actually be conjured lies? I just don't know at this point anymore, does Derrick rose still even exist

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

JR Smith should have just googled how to kill his best friend in a heated car and save everyone alot of trouble

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Heat needs proven warrior-fighter Lance Stephenson.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Bless you Jodie Meeks, go get yours :patriot:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

, but you're forced to run your offense through Melo. So if you're Soelstra you're betting that the worst-assisting wing in the league isn't going to suddenly turn into a great distributor and he needs to score +40 a game to beat you? Can you run the offense through McBuckets?

Melo is a very good passer, he can pass if he needs to,,,,,, or if you know he has someone to pass it to. It would be up to the Bulls/Thib to surround Melo with options. In fact he went in with a pass first mentality in the fourth quarter against the pacers in 2013. It's just too bad each time his target was Tyson Stumps-For-Hands-Not-Paying-Attention Chandler.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Once upon a time the argument was that if you are not in the top 4 of your conference you might as well tank instead of being in Hawks/Bucks hell.

In Adam Silver's new NBA if you are not in the top 1 of your conference you might as well give Gortat a five year contract.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Pau to the Knicks, trade for Marc, get in a three way trade involving Love to bring Rubio to New York. The Nuevo Knicks.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Kobe couldn't make it to the meeting on time today. Originally Melo was supposed to meet last with the Knicks tonight before deciding but Kobe plans to meet him after the Knicks meeting.

:ohdear:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I wouldn't give Wade a double million figures contract, in fact I wouldn't want to sign him at all. The whole playing 60% season thing was supposed to be all ultimately worth it when they really needed him. They really needed him at the end and he wasn't there. So what are you left with, a very impressive playoff performance against the offensively challenged Bobcats? An old Nets team? P-P-Pacers?? All for the cost of a vastly increased burden on the whole team with a key guy going in and out all season. If the Spurs or Thunder make the finals again they are not going to get any slower for Wade to defend or score against.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

MourningView posted:

Yeah the Pacers had a horrible defense

Oh look it's the dismissive one liner with no punctuation based on the supposed weakest point of my argument, as if everything else is magically invalidated if true.

The Pacer's defense is based on running people out of the perimeter and into their center. But Wade is fine with just taking mid range shots. I hope a future HOFer can score over the likes of Lance Stephenson, a broken Roy Hibbert and a backup center. The Pacer's offense is trash and Wade barely worked there even when his guy or his lack of help let them score because the Heat was in no threat of being outscored by them. If he actually had to be faster and work on the switches, as in if he was actually faced with a playoff caliber offense, I would bet he would've died by the third game of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Homestar Runner posted:

I hate Wade but dismissing the majority of his very good season on account of a few bad finals games, and this

kinda discredits your argument

e. particularly when you describe the rest of his playoffs as "very impressive" smh

That's fine, that's my opinion and that's your opinion, we can disagree with each other.

If there's no big news happening this morning, I'm curious to hear from everyone what is the max they are willing to sign Wade for four years for their team, ignoring your current cap situation just for the signing of the contract. And give your reasoning and vision for the next four years for your team with Wade taking into account what your team's playoff ceiling would be as Wade occupies potentially 20% of your cap. To prevent lol I'll just grab Wade for the veteran minimum reasonings, you would be competing with everyone else so you need to offer Wade a competitive contract. I want to see how big the difference between my and everyone else's value of Wade is.

I'll start: I wouldn't sign Wade. The Knicks don't need any more shooting guards. Any bench guard minutes are better off used developing their youth. With Wade we would have an increased chance of making the playoffs in the next year at the cost of the future.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 4, 2014

• Locked thread