Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Blazer fans were nuts about Patty Mills long before he sniffed a Spurs uniform

San Antonio didn't discover Diaw. He was pretty drat key for Phoenix, especially the year Amare was out. They did reinvigorate his career after his stint in Charlotte were he got fat(ter) and gave zero fucks

People knew about Splitter. He wasn't some unknown. What other teams didn't want to deal with was his buyout/contract situation. The Spurs made a shrewd decision that paid off really well but it wasn't like they took some guy from Qatar that no one ever heard of who turned out to be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chunkles posted:

From some twitter: In ESPN interview, Kobe also brought up unprompted about Tim Duncan possibly getting 6th ring before him: "I'm not okay with that."

I remember some :smug: Laker fan here a couple of years ago talking about how for all of Duncan and the Spurs' vaunted consistency, the Lakers and Kobe had just as many championships as them since 99 and a good chance to get more while the Spurs looked old and probably never going to contend again

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fev818PQjyw

Does this mean MJ was never cool and we were all just dumb kids for thinking so?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BIZORT posted:

What could he possibly write about that would fill up an entire book?

A full recap of his dunk contest failure in 2006 could take up 3 chapters

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

I have no idea who keeps buying them but the market is flooded with random autobiographies of marginally famous athletes. Like, Wayne Chrebet wrote a book and got it published.

I assume no one actually buys them and that books are like venture capital investments. Just throw your money around at a bunch of things and if one of them sells well then you're happy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Spurs formula is basically to have a HOF coach verbally berate any and all PGs that you give him until you either cast them aside or all the fight is beat out of them

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Any deal with GSW would have to include Thompson unless Minnesota used a time machine and is stuck in the summer of 2013 and really wants Barnes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spacebump posted:

CSKA Moscow and Panathinaikos are apparently in a bidding war over Nick Calathes.

Nick Calathes is an rear end in a top hat who walks across the court barefoot after he's done playing basketball/working out

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Get your icky rear end feet off of my floor drat it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If I ever spit out gum, I spit it out Mr. Pefect style

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

are you like licking the floor? are the bottom of people's shoes somehow less gross? you are a weird dude, whyteryce.

I'd feel the same way if someone were walking on the court with shoes after they stepped in a puddle. Bottom line, gently caress moisture

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@Ian_OConnor
Chris Wallace wanted Tony Parker at 21 in 01 draft; Red Auerbach banged his cane on floor & said,"I want (Joe) Forte." #Spurs

And a dynasty was born

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Good news for you MV! Summer League watch-ability jusut went up 200%

quote:

Quincy Acy will play for the Kings in Vegas according to Kings head coach Michael Malone, who broke the news in an appearance on KHTK Radio yesterday morning. Acy will join Ben McLemore, Ray McCallum, Derrick Williams and potentially the No. 8 pick on the team’s summer league roster

Now I'm tempted to buy VIP courtside seats so I can get on camera overreacting to every single dunk ala Lakers douche kid

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 19, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope we draft Aaron Gordon so our summer league team will be 100% lobs and dunks in traffic

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Wow, gently caress Sacramento for putting together that Summer League super team. Whatever happened to building your summer league team the right way, which is, to mainly fill it full of guys who are on a brief layover before heading off to their European Careers, or Crisis Actors that Mitch Kupchak hires to pretend to be the guys he drafted overseas? Hopefully they address this in the next CBA, but too bad I probably won't be watching due to how upset I'll be at them winning all the Summer League games and cruising towards the Summer League Championship.

Look, if Charlotte can send their head coach and starting line-up to the Summer League that one year to crush teams then there is nothing wrong with this.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Time to dust off my LJ jersey, Hornets starter jacket, and teal warm-up pants

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Good news Laker fans, Swaggy P wants to come back and will take a hometown discount
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/06/18/nick-young-wants-multi-year-deal-with-lakers-willing-to-take-hometown-discount/

quote:

“It depends how much the discount is,” Young said. “But as a player, everyone wants a place they feel comfortable at. I feel comfortable in L.A. But I can’t keep taking these discounts. I need a raise a little bit. But if it’s for the right cost and they’re bringing in players and I fit into the rotation, then I’ll probably take a pay cut.”

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'd like to think the pick talk is just like the Noel/Philly deal last year were people just got confused which way the pick is going and reporting the wrong thing

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought Harden's side of the story was that they gave Harden an offer, Harden went to go think about it, and by the Presti already decided to pull the trigger on a trade

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@Chris_Broussard
Sources: Nuggets offering Kenneth Faried, Wilson Chandler and 11th pick for Kevin Love and Kevin Martin

Hold the phone, Wilson Chandler?! Why didn't Minnesota accept that deal right away?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeMarcus Cousins is a thug who goes around scaring people
http://www.mobypicture.com/user/kfippin/view/17015651

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

It's better than the lovely Boston deal everyone keeps calling the best one on the table.

Remember when Boston just drafted Fab Melo and kept trying to throw him in trade offers?

You can have Jared Sullinger AND Fab Melo for your star. That's two first round picks!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

crazycello posted:

E - Did Fab Melo ever play a game in the NBA? I just remember the hype from his D-league block numbers.

Comment from the SB Nation article that talked about his triple double

quote:

Give him a few more games. This guy is serious, lets not trade him. He’ll be one of the natural centers in the NBA very soon.

DON'T TRADE HIM BOSTON!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nachos posted:

They got beaten so bad I can't even get upset about this, only laugh

Top reddit comment

quote:

Kids overseas gonna be so confused why it says Threepeat when the Heat haven't won a title since 2011.

:golfclap:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You mean you can't trade for Kevin Love without actually giving up something of value?!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh no we only get a top 10 player and a useful rotation player in exchange for Thompson and Lee. The horror

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fun fact, Shaq was once on the Celtics

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thibs is going to bench Melo for Dunleavy because defense

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm pleased that Rudy Gay is coming back but it's kind of funny that we were begging him into taking his $19M option

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Strawberry Panda posted:

Apparently New York Daily News is reporting that Wade will opt out and take between 50 and 55 mill for four years.

Miami is signing Lance

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

big boi posted:

I also attempted to find refuge in Reddit and can now safely say gently caress that place.

I posted on Twitter but like 5 of you follow me :-(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Afflalo back to the Nuggets, Chandler back to the Mavs....LeBron back to the Cavs?????

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

And why does Simmons think Houston will try to trade Harden for Melo?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm pissed the Kings couldn't beat that offer for Afflalo but I guess they don't have cap space or any desirable contracts to make things work

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Miami should just try to reform as much of the 2008 Team USA as possible. Get Melo and petition the league to implement a FIBA 3 point line. Drag Michael Redd out of retirement so they have someone on the bench looking like he's having the time of his life

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

As per Sam Amick, the market value for Isaiah Thomas looks to be around $4-$6M a year, which is totally reasonable and one the Kings will probably match without hesitation. Even if you buy into the "Thomas isn't a starting PG" or "the Kings need a pure passer in the starting line-up and I totally don't remember at all they tried that with Vasquez and immediately went back to Thomas" arguments, for $4-$6M a year you can just move him to a bench spark plug role without it being a big deal financially

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Really, really horrible and people always forget the bench when they're building these teams in their heads

Sometimes you can just cobble something together from ring chasers and cheap cast-offs after the fact. Everyone poo poo in Miami's bench when the Big 3 teamed up but they still managed to make it to the Finals the first year. And in the following years you just use the MLE on guys like Battier and Allen to fill in the gaps

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Swaggy P was the perfect Laker. If he doesn't re-sign it's a tragedy. Izzy ain't gonna live in loving Sacramento.

We need to get that high speed rail thing built so guys like Swaggy can live in LA and commute for the games

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SeannieDarko posted:

Sorry MV. The Jazz have extended a QO to Hayward. Your nightmare continues.

He's a good player so they'd be insane not to extend the (reasonable) qualifying offer. MV won't get mad until they offer a max deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Swaggy P balling it up at Six Flags
http://i.imgur.com/sCAFddv.jpg

Swaggy is going home with one of those giant stuffed bears...or lose $6k getting scammed by a carny

• Locked thread