Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

This moon-cheese will make me very rich... very rich indeed!
Who is going to be on this putative Lakers playoff team next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

big boi posted:

Those are all guys that could easily be gone next year, and the Heat will attract actual contributing roleplayers to fill whatever spots are open. They'll probably be better next season.

It seems like this depends heavily on who they can attract. The big 3 plus Haslem and Cole are on the books for $70 mil for next season, so any significant maneuvers will have to depend on getting at least two of them to opt out and take less. The vibe I get is that Wade is not willing to do so, which may undermine the whole operation, and LeBron may not be satisfied to tread water for a year. It's certainly far from a foregone conclusion that the whole thing will just fall apart, but I don't think there's any guarantee that Miami is going to be either good or together next season.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've been analyzing the finals play-by-play and I've determined that the Heat lost because they didn't play Michael Beasley enough.

Ah, but the Spurs have the ultimate answer to Michael Beasley: Aron Baynes and his 222 ORTG.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Tae posted:

Lebron is on record on saying he'd rather miss the playoffs than not win a title.

Sure, that's notionally true, but it doesn't preclude the possibility of him leaving for greener pastures where he would have a legitimate shot at another ring. I'm not saying that it will happen, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it did.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Where did you get your vibe from? I mean I would definitely opt in if I were him but maybe he decides to take 48 mill over 4 years instead of 40 in 2.

Sorry, I don't have the quote on hand, but I recall reading in the last few days something from Wade where he basically said "I don't feel any need to change my contract or take less." I think this was on ESPN but can't be sure at the moment.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

In my expert and unbiased opinion it is in Lebron's best interest to opt out and sign with Dallas.

This would own so hard.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

The biggest news there (at least for me) is that Lamar Odom is still playing in the NBA.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Ramadu posted:

I am concerned that the poll at the top does not have the obvious favorite, the Phoenix Suns as a selection. The Dragon will lead us to victory.

Also, Jesus Christ the Spurs looked awesome this year. Good for them.

Lebron come to Phoenix, we can help you play forever.

This would also be awesome and should happen. That team would score 120 PPG.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

The problem with Wade isn't that he's bad overall, it's that he costs $20 million for 2/3 of a season with no guarantee that his knees won't just give out. Yeah, he had a bad series after having three good ones, but those good series were against two pretty mediocre playoff teams and a Pacers team teetering on total collapse. There's no guarantee that any player will get through the season healthy (Rose :() but when you have someone with recurring injury problems, the odds of that happening are less. And that means more minutes for James, increasing his own chances of injury.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

BIZORT posted:

No one will really disagree with you but the Heat are way over the cap anyway so his salary is not really hindering them at this point, nor has it ever, and he's still very good. They're fine with paying more luxury tax.
If/when Wade is out with a long-term injury that keeps him out of the lineup then it'll hurt, of course, and LeBron has not shown any sort of signs of letting up either. He had that comment about his back earlier in the season but that story went away very quickly and no one has mentioned it since so I'm thinking it's a non-issue. I am of the opinion that all of these minutes will eventually catch up with LeBron, too, but for now it's not and Wade sitting out isn't killing them in the present. If Ray Allen leaves, though, then they have a real problem.

I'm confused as to how it isn't hurting them. Isn't the entire question how they're going to retool? They're losing a bunch of dudes this offseason, so their shot at next year's finals would depend heavily on who they can bring in. If they're capped out, how do they get any role players?

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Maybe I don't understand something about the CBA, but I was under the impression that the only exceptions Miami had available was the taxpayer MLE and the minimum-salary exception. They could also re-sign a number of their free agents. What's left when it comes to bringing in additional players?

edit: ah, I see my question was answered while I was asking it:

quote:

If they don't renounce Wade they have the normal mid-level which is $5m/year and the biannual exception which is $2m/year.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Doltos posted:

Has there ever been a Popovich Spur that went on to actually be good for his next team? George Hill sort of, maybe, but not really.

Stephen Jackson had some pretty good years with Golden State.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

pylb posted:

It's just Broussard on twitter, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

I hope it's true though, because oh my god.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Doltos posted:

They should but the same issue arises of wtf do you do with that frontcourt? Too much paint clogging between Drummond and Smith.

Clearly the solution here is to have Smith hang out on the perimeter and shoot threes.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Bashez posted:

It must.

Anyone know what Chalmers said there?

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

As a Soviet immigrant, I can tell you that Kirilenko's dumb haircut is basically the cutting edge of style in Russia.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Between :f5:ing this and the World Cup I haven't gotten any work done this week.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

loving lol

As a Suns/Mavs fan and Spurs well-wisher, this annoys me because it likely means Bosh is coming to Houston, which means Houston is going to be even better.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

chunkles posted:

You and me both buddy.

Come on down to Houston Bosh. We'll win some rings and when you retire we can hang your jersey in the Museum of Natural History.

It would be amusing if Houston and Cleveland met in the finals...

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Ugh, I hope the Suns re-sign Bledsoe. Who are they holding out for at this point?

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

thompson posted:

I just don't think they want to pay the price. I heard (can't remember where, sorry it's unsourced) that he was getting max contract type of interest.

Well, we live in a world where Gordon Hayward is apparently going to get a max, and Bledsoe is better than Hayward (when he's not injured), so... if they can get Thomas for less, though, that looks like quite a good deal.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Sir_Charles posted:

For what it's worth the Suns' beat writer Paul Coro says the plan is to use Isaiah as the third guard

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2014/07/10/suns-host-restricted-free-agent-point-guard-isaiah-thomas/12501859/

oh dear

This sounds like a lot of fun even if they're going to give up like 110 PPG.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

homphgomph posted:

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 4s
The Chicago Bulls are gauging interest with free agent Dwyane Wade, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Heh.

Excellent, between him and Rose there will be two healthy knees in the backcourt.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Hoping for Bosh to go back to Miami so he stays out of the West. It's bad enough here as it is.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Vire posted:

All the Bobcats had was Al Jefferson and they made it. Come on dude.

And McRoberts... who is now conveniently on the Heat.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Excellent...

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

Why is Sac letting him walk? That deal is a baragain, and the guy is actually really good?

This seems like a super pickup for the Suns if they're thinking about moving on from Bledsoe (though as previously noted they may not be).

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

I would enjoy seeing Pau on the Spurs. Oh yes, I would enjoy that quite a bit.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

anakha posted:

@ramonashelburne

Regarding Pau: top two now Chi/Spurs..if Bulls can't do sign and trade with Lakers, likely he goes to Spurs

make it happen jesus

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Inside Outside posted:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/07/10/rajon-rondo-basketball-camp-has-special-feel/ypIgfHKRlsdWQ59i0GYcpK/story.html

Rondo literally jumps into games between six year olds so he can lead a comeback and dunk all over a bunch of little kids.

Rondo is a weird competitive insane dude.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

D_I posted:

Matrix wants a starting position hmm? http://fansided.com/2014/07/13/dallas-mavericks-rumors-shawn-marion-doesnt-want-backup/

I know a spot that is wide up Shawn!

I like Marion, but he always seemed a bit delusional in terms of assessing his own abilities. Why not play quality backup minutes behind Parsons? Dude is old, he's not going to play 35 mpg anymore and he shouldn't.

edit: Richard Jefferson... but for the vet minimum. Can't get excited either way about that.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Hard to argue with that.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

I'm seeing reports that Houston is interested in Rondo, which would probably improve them considerably if they could pull it off. Not sure what they'd be sending back though. Picks?

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

morestuff posted:

Rondo/Harden seems like an awful pairing on offense.

I wouldn't think so. Rondo is not a guy who's going to hoard shots; he's very much a pass-first PG.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Am I an idiot or would Mo Williams be a really nice signing for Dallas?

Williams can shoot the 3 ok, but he turns the ball over a lot and is a defensive sieve. I guess he'd be an ok backup assuming the Gal Mekel experience is going nowhere fast.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

kiimo posted:

Mario Chalmers: "I'm glad to say I'm back in Miami, #Heatnation there's still some of us left. The real ones stay, the cowards are here for the good times."

Can't wait for LeBron to dunk on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

I wonder if we'll ever see NBA teams forming their own youth academies the way that the European soccer and basketball clubs do. There was a good Grantland article after the Finals about how the academy system formed Parker and Diaw, and it seems like something that the smarter clubs would be all in on, having the chance to develop their own players. You'd have to square that with the draft system of course, but it would be pretty awesome if an academy system produces a basketball Messi here.

• Locked thread