Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I remember the forums making GBS threads themselves because the Spurs got another late steal with Splitter, which they did. Like it was the most predictable god drat thing ever that they would stash a talented overseas player who would later become a major contributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I just realized it's now impossible for Norris Cole to win a championship every year of his career :(

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wade will be fine. He played well this postseason and it's unfortunate his annual series where he completely tanks it came against the San Antonio Machine but he is still a valuable player. He might not be worth 20m but he won't be producing at Rashard Lewis levels either. What the Heat need to focus on is replacing all those lost bench players and maybe finding a reliable point guard who can get to the rim.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wade hasn't depended on athleticism in 2-3 years now. I can't even remember the last time he dunked in traffic the way Manu did in the finals and yet he still put up very efficient numbers. He mostly plays off ball or takes people into the post nowadays. What he really needs to do is figure out how to shoot, but that's unlikely seeing as how he's been a mostly bad shooter his whole career outside of his MVP candidate years.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Doltos posted:

Here's the Heat's championship shirt

They got beaten so bad I can't even get upset about this, only laugh

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Lebron to the Clippers???

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Bucher is making up poo poo, though you knew that already

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

The Heat are not exchanging Bosh for Lowry in any scenario (I know it wasn't in the article as a trade but he says that Bosh would be the member of the Big 3 to be given the heave ho).

For Carmelo, which makes even less sense. They could literally have big 3 + Lowry but get Melo instead of Bosh because reasons

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

gingerberger posted:

Do we know why? Like obviously Melo can get buckets, is it because he thinks he'll draw the 2nd best defender? Aside from wanting to play with great players in general I don't know why Melo would be the one he'd really want to play with; Melo doesn't seem like a guy who'd be much fun to play with.

Because for NBA reporters, friendship is enough of a reason to start writing fanfic about various trades. That's why you get poo poo like "Knicks sign Fisher as coach to lure Durant" and "Lebron will make career altering decision based on the drafting of Shabazz Napier"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Lebron still has never been the highest paid player on his own team yet has he?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Hey don't forget when he blocked Amare then hit a 75 foot buzzer beater

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

What the hell is going on in Brooklyn? This is nuts. I've never heard of something like this.

I don't blame Kidd at all for thinking it's a bit of a joke that he gets $10 mil and guys like Fisher and Kerr get $25.

They had no issue giving him more money apparently, it's the whole becoming president thing that's the issue

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Do GMs not share stories or what? Going from Kidd to Jackson is trading one rear end in a top hat for an even bigger one that might be even worse as a coach.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I don't think people are questioning Ewing's value as a coach because he never won a title, New York Post......

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think we can all agree that there's been 24 hours of an unexpected Jason Kidd power play and there has not yet been a Grantland article comparing it to Game of Thrones.

Frank Underwood is the default reference for any power playing rear end in a top hat

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Pacers decline Evan Turner's $8.7 million qualifying offer

What I dont understand is how it was possible to turn that piece of news into a multiple paragraph story

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Isaiah Thomas might be a point guard the Heat could actually afford

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Pau and Bosh together would be great because then you can pair up two really talented and underappreciated bigs. Fans wouldn't know which one to blame after a loss.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

cp91886 posted:

Does anybody in the league even have a signature celebration any more? Lebron's got his push the floor down thing I guess. Who am I missing?

Ray Allen's little hand thing after every three

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Chris Bosh may be leaving Miami.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 6m
Chris Bosh's reps have made recent calls on market to reconfirm that max slots would be available to him, sources tell Yahoo. Answers: Yes.
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/485470728477630464

So like most offseason news this is just an agent bring responsible and doing due diligence?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

It looks from that article that they've started getting the messaging out that the owners have taken the lockout at every opportunity. Hopefully two years of hammering that point might actually reduce the massive PR advantage the owners have for once.

who am I kidding :smith:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Tae posted:

I'm getting annoyed at completely made-up appearances that are very easily fact checkable. At least trade rumors have the illusion of behind-the-scenes denial talk.

I have a bad memory but this offseason is as bad as I remember when it comes to fake reports and unnecessary rumor mongering. Players can't even be in the same city anymore without it turning into a dozen articles about one or the other joining that team.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Broussard isn't even claiming his multiple sources this time, he's just literally tweeting speculation. Kind of like this.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Doltos posted:

Man it's weird how much hate Lebron gets for doing absolutely nothing. He tweets that he likes Shabazz Napier a lot, it's not his fault his front office goes and trades for his draft rights. And no one knows what Lebron is costing Wade yet, or why it would even be his fault that Wade opted out. Jeeze.

How come nobody has even thought of the possibility that Napier was actually high on the Miami board regardless of any Lebron tweets. They needed a Chalmers replacement and they love their college hero point guards. Napier made sense as a pick no matter what.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Lasagna Pilot posted:

So Stephen A. Smith's emergency special Sportscenter opinion is that Melo and Lebron are waiting on Bosh, if Bosh goes to Houston then maybe Melo signs in Miami for max money.

Oh this is a clever combination I didn't think about

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Peja will always be remembered as a Dallas Maverick, hitting 6-6 threes en route to sweeping the Lakers in the most hilarious game of all time

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Terry Glenn posted:

Let's not judge Riley entirely on his ability to sign FAs, let's look at his performance in the draft.

Oh boy.

Cole Chalmers and arguably Dorell Wright were good picks. He picked Wright over Jameer Nelson which made a lot of Heat fans mad but I thought it was a good decision. Pittman and Wayne Simien were notable busts.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Emanuel Collective posted:

He could come to Chicago and inexplicably become a decedent player

Not enough bullshit scoring ability. I could see Jameer Nelson randomly reviving his career in Chicago.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I can't believe how much twitter and nba forums are freaking out when the two biggest pieces of Lebron/Bosh related news today have been

Houston offers the max to Bosh
Cleveland thinks Lebron James might listen to pitch

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

MourningView posted:

I think the thing that probably kicked it into overdrive was Woj saying that LeBron's agent was trying hard to push him towards Cleveland.

Why would he even do that when Lebron would make more in Miami, resulting in a bigger cut for the agent?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I could buy the idea that his childhood friends would have way more power in Cleveland than in Miami where Riley runs a pretty tight ship

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Bashez posted:

Is Cleveland's roster with Lebron being better than the likely to be fielded Heat team totally out of the question to you?

Yes I think so. Kyrie is arguably not as good as Bosh/Wade and Wiggins is 1-2 years away from contributing anything meaningful. Tristan Thompson is decent. If we're in fantasyland where Wiggins is part of a package for Kevin Love then yeah Cleveland might be able to put together a better roster.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

mistermojo posted:

Isnt Micky Arison the one running a tight ship

:golfclap:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Bashez posted:

I think Kyrie is inarguably not as good as Bosh/Wade but I think guys like Zeller and Varejao, both of whom I like a lot, make the team much deeper and a more complete team with Lebron. I also think Cleveland has a real lack of direction and focus that presumably a guy like Lebron would add to the team. There was some feuding between players on Cleveland which I think caused them to play worse than their talent level.

Michael Jordan had just finished his first 3 peat at 29. Lebron needs to set him self up with guys who will improve as he plateaus and then falls off. Lebron has plugged every significant hole in his game and nothing indicates he won't be able to keep up production as his athleticism declines. I think he's hugely better served by playing with guys on the upswing. He's trying to match Jordan, he can't fade with an aging core.

If you're only looking at next year I think you sign with the Heat. If he's looking long term I think Cleveland is riskier but the better bet. I don't see how Miami improves as a team while Wade, Lebron, and Bosh all get older.

All that said, I can't imagine him actually leaving Miami for totally non basketball reasons.

If long-term basketball reasons were the reason Lebron would be leaving, he'd be much better off signing with Houston where he could contend for a title next year and then proceed to take over the west as the Spurs core diminishes in 2-3 years.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Big news of the day

Chris Hernandez @ChrisHern3 · 2h
Is it coincidence that lebron had a 3 hour meeting with nike today, and nike has purchased every available billboard in Cleveland. Thoughts?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

My question is how does one find out who's bought all the billboards in the city? Are they all owned by Cleveland or something?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Didn't Oladipo lose 20 pounds? Does that still count as a summer milestone?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Haha I can't believe that poo poo picked up steam. It was started by some dude with 185 followers. If anyone wants a few hundred extra followers I guess you know what to do.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

On what loving planet is Hayward worth almost 16 million a year? Does this mean a guy like Chandler Parsons will be getting a maximum offer as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

How much cap room did they have before this?

• Locked thread