Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Vargs posted:

it was pretty cool but i've always had a hard time playing competitive couch games because everyone i have ever known has been really bad at them. cooperative stuff works out a lot better. i remember playing kirby super star co-op a lot as a kid and that was a blast. probably rented that game enough times to buy it 3 times over.

Superstar remains one of my favorite games to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Triangle posted:

Maybe you should come back to this thread when you've clocked over 1k hours on the Smash series.

We knew we were true fags when the game told us we had played 5,999 versus matches, which is about a penny per match. The game actually has an achievement for telling you that you're wasting your life.

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster
Melee is a bad game b/c it doesn't have wario, sorry

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Diamond Joe Biden posted:

Melee is a bad game b/c it doesn't have wario, sorry

Funny story about that, the devs wanted him in, but only if he could have farting attacks.

Sadly, they couldn't.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Trolling people with the secret to unlocking sonic was hilarious. Win 20 rounds in a row in brutal mode. Or is that cruel mode?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Cathulhu posted:

Funny story about that, the devs wanted him in, but only if he could have farting attacks.

Sadly, they couldn't.

I thought that was New Super Mario Bros Wii. Or was the gamecube actually unable to render satisfactory fartclouds?

and i like melee more, since brawl completely ruined captain falcon.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
tripping was hilarious and i want it to come back.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I only ever play as Bowser or Dedede. :btroll:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
one day i will master the secrets of jigglypuff

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

quote dis if you killed some1 with luigi's taunt

I like to play other people who are "too cool for the pros" because no matter what settings they choose I win, and win convincingly.

They get so mad too, its glorious.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

THS posted:

you are all loving faggots
pot calling kettle a friend of the family

In Zero We Trust
Jul 14, 2011
roy was my best character

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Welcome to SmashWiki! Login or create an account and join the community, and don't forget to read this first!
Future.png Please include sources (e.g. video URLs) in edit summaries when updating with new SSBU/3DS details. Thank you. Future.png

Sakurai angle
From SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki

SSB64 Icon.png SSBM Icon.png SSBB Icon.png This article's title is unofficial.

A graph of how the knockback of a Sakurai angle-attack affects its launch angle. Click for full-size version.

The Sakurai angle (sometimes displayed as * or AngleIcon361.png in moveset lists) is a special knockback angle that many attacks use. While it reads in the game data as an angle of 361 degrees, the actual resulting angle is dependent on whether the victim is on the ground or in the air, as well as the strength of the knockback.

The exact characteristics of the Sakurai angle have changed slightly in every game, but all share the same basic idea: at low knockback the opponent is not lifted off the ground, while at high knockback they are launched diagonally; the purpose seems to be to allow grounded battles between fresh opponents without allowing attacks to be deadly semi-spikes at KO percentages. The amount of knockback dealt determines the launch angle of grounded opponents; aerial opponents use the same angle regardless of knockback, which is typically very slightly higher than any grounded version. Starting in Melee, if the knockback is between the low-knockback value and high-knockback value, the resulting angle will be linearly scaled between its two extremes.

Game Low-knockback angle High-knockback angle Aerial angle Low-knockback value High-knockback value
SSB64 0 42.5 43 < 32 ≥32
Melee 0 44 45 32 32.1
Brawl 0 37 45 60 88

The Sakurai angle does not correctly tilt the impending angle indicator; it will remain at a flat angle.

While a low-knockback grounded hit of a Sakurai angle-attack is technically a semi-spike, it can never be used as one due to edge slipping.

Name origin[edit]

Early in Brawl's lifetime, it was noticed that many attacks with the "generic horizontal launch angle" have a low chance of tripping. Once decoding of moveset data progressed enough, it was then discovered that most of said attacks have a technical trip chance of 0% and an angle of 361. As Masahiro Sakurai is somewhat infamous for being commonly thought to have made tripping existent in Brawl, the angle was named after him. This is technically a misnomer, however: while it is true that the angle has an extra 11% chance of tripping, this applies to all attacks with horizontal angles and not just the Sakurai angle.

The characteristics of the Sakurai angle are mentioned by the official Super Smash Bros. website; it mentions that when an attack's angle is 361, low knockback hits the opponent sideways while high knockback hits them diagonally. The angle is not given any special name.

Categories: Unofficial lingo Game mechanics

Categories: Unofficial lingoGame mechanics

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.
theyre all the loving same to me. you play a little nintendo and mash buttons on the controller to fight your friends. i think anybody who has an opinion is a big dumb nerd

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
If you've at any point ever played a character other than Captain Falcon, then you are a big fat pussy.

He's flexing 100% of his body 100% of the time, because relaxing is for losers.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Dr. Mario b!tch

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Doctor Shapes posted:

theyre all the loving same to me. you play a little nintendo and mash buttons on the controller to fight your friends. i think anybody who has an opinion is a big dumb nerd

Lol nice opinion you big dumb nerd

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011
the longer you play smash bros into your adulthood the more likely it is that you have autism.

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster

Winter Fresh posted:

the longer you post on internet forums into your adulthood the more likely it is that you have autism.

agreed.

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
the only good one was the n64 version and that only owned bc of kirby

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turdriver posted:

the only good one was the n64 version and that only owned bc of kirby

actually i think you'll find that there were no good ones because video games are for children and you're probably sucking on your mama's teat right now

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The best game is one that you've probably never heard of, and never played, because you're a filthy casual OP

sheeeeit

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Benedick Cuckold posted:

actually i think you'll find that there were no good ones because video games are for children and you're probably sucking on your mama's teat right now

You have some disney anime poo poo for an av and you're telling people their hobbies are children hobbies like it is a insult.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Homo for Hitler posted:

You have some disney anime poo poo for an av and you're telling people their hobbies are children hobbies like it is a insult.

someone bought me this av precisely because i made fun of their anime poo poo. i didn't even know this was a disney character. in fact i'm pretty sure it's dreamworks even tho i'm not about to look it up and get put on some watchlist

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Benedick Cuckold posted:

someone bought me this av precisely because i made fun of their anime poo poo. i didn't even know this was a disney character. in fact i'm pretty sure it's dreamworks even tho i'm not about to look it up and get put on some watchlist

Dreamworks is a disney district I am pretty sure but don't quote me on it. The movie slash animated series is lilo and stitch and all I remember about it in the 3 minutes I seen was that aliens pooped out of space capsules or something

OiledUpFatMan
Oct 22, 2010
I played for an hour for the first time in many years at my weed dealer's apartment like, 2 weeks ago. My thoughts: Firstly, the game still holds up. Secondly, Ness and Zelda are still my favorite characters to play as. I have yet to meet anyone familiar with the game who likes either of them which I think is weird because they are awesome. Thirdly, people who insist on turning all items off or else are HUGE WEEPING PUSSIES.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

quote dis if you killed some1 with luigi's taunt

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

quote dis if you killed some1 with luigi's taint

most erotic flower
Mar 9, 2006

aww yiss
motha
fuckin
titties

BKPR posted:

Dr. Mario b!tch

back air back air back air lol cya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

one day i will master the secrets of jigglypuff

jigglypuff was the best smash bros character until brawl brought in olimar. for all of brawl's faults, olimar loving owned and was fun as poo poo to play as, even though i never got anywhere near as good with him as i did with jigglypuff in melee.

missing rest with jigglypuff was and still is the worst thing ever.

• Locked thread