Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Alexis Murnau
5 FP[b]

Alexis grimaced as Jacob called his buddies in the force. After coming up with a good excuse. (Which involved both admitting that she was just too curious and berating the officers for not securing the crime scene), she turned her attention towards the unconscious man's body. Should she search him? Wait, no, that'd just wake him up...probably. After a long period of thought, she settled for just scanning the body for anything interesting.

Looking at the body (Notice) = [b]2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Phil Harrigan
4 FP

"One of these tunnels leads to the harbor and I want to know which one. I don't know about you, but I want to know where that red mist went. The police or the Order might shut us off from this end of the tunnel network, so I'll feel better if we find another entry point."
He quietly looks down the different tunnels.
"If I stay here, sooner or later someone's gonna figure out that I don't have any real reason to be here. Then they'll figure out who I am and then I'll spend the night in jail before my lawyer bails me out. I think I'll walk the tunnels instead of waste time hanging out with a bunch of drunk and dis-orderlies. You want to come along?"

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 31, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Jacob Prior
2 FP

"Agreed, Phil. I want to figure out where that...I guess 'mist' went too." He looks to Alexis. "My hunch is that the tunnel the mist went down leads to the harbor. I'd suggest you come with us. If the police find you or Phil down here, there will be a lot of awkward questions, even with me backing you up."

Jacob waited for Alexis to finish checking the man, then prepared to head down the tunnel where the mist went.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Alexis's look at the man didn't show her much more, but she did notice that the stretched clothes had a muck-covered brand on the shirtsleeve. She'd never heard of it before, but his clothes were branded Zara.

The tunnel the mist had flown down was tight; only by walking single-file could anyone move through it. Not that far into the tunnel, the water level began to rise, topping out at about chest deep. It was cold, and dark, and foreboding in general, but passable.

At least until the tunnel reached a dead end, and the leader of the group felt the floor disappear under his feet.

I'm assuming Jacob's in the lead, since he has the flashlight? Whomever is in the lead, there was an unseen sinkhole near the dead end. Athletics at a +2 difficulty will prevent you from slipping below the water, but even if you do there's no real current to drag you off.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Jacob Prior
2 FP

Jacob reached the end of the tunnel, flashlight shining on the wall ahead the group. "Dead end..." he muttered. He stepped forward to inspect the end, to see if there were cracks the mist could have slipped through, or possibly-

Suddenly, his foot stepped onto nothingness, and he struggled to remain above water.

4dF+1= -1!

Jacob fell into the water. After thrashing a bit, he resurfaced, gasping for air. "Goddammit!" After composing himself for a moment, he took a breath and dove underwater again. He shone his flashlight around, trying to see if the tunnel continued.

Notice: 4dF+3= 4!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

It does! The sinkhole leads to an underwater tunnel extending further on, about four foot down from the walkable tunnel.

Fate Point on offer: you're now using a flashlight fully submerged to see if the tunnel continues. I'm offering a Fate Point to have the flashlight fail; if you pay a Fate Point to counter, the flashlight's properly waterproofed and it keeps shining.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I'll take it!

Jacob Prior
3 FP

Jacob spied the passage continuing on, before his flashlight flickered, sputtered, and then went out completely. He quickly resurfaced. "The tunnel continues on underwater, but...my flashlight went out." He glanced at Phil and Alexis. "Look, this might be getting a bit more dangerous than I'm feeling comfortable with. Especially you, Alexis. No offense, but you're just a kid. If you get hurt, that's on me. Phil...I know you do what you want, but I don't want you getting in over your head. I think...I think we should head back. We might have enough time for you to dodge the cops."

But still...something was clawing at the back of his mind.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Phil Harrigan
4 FP

"I didn't get pulled face first into this hole in the ground just to give up and go home. This is getting way to interesting to turn back. But I have to admit that a little light would be nice. You wouldn't happen to be the kind of people how enjoy a good rave, would you? I've never met a raver who didn't carry a few glow sticks at all times."
He squeezes past Jacob in the darkness.
"I'll just take a quick look down there, and turn around if I don't think I can make it through." he says, before going under and further into the tunnel.

Swimming the tunnel: 4dF+1 1
I'd better invoke Phil's "Incredibly daring" aspect for a +2. Not really caring about this kind of passive danger, he'll push himself a bit further than most other people.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

You beautiful, crazy son of a bitch...

Phil went under the water and quickly found the hole that Jacob had mentioned. It was tough in the pitch black to follow, but by keeping one hand on the ceiling of the submerged tunnel Phil made his way along. His lungs began to ache from holding them, but a faint glow appeared ahead that drew him along. There had to be something there...

More than one minute after he'd dived under the water, Phil came out into the back of a covered inlet. Ahead of him, he could see the harbor; this inlet was just to the side of it. Above him, pipes ran into the under structure of what his knowledge of the harbor area told him was a chemical processing plant. It's proximity to the harbor allowed it easy access for shipping of chemicals to and from the plant.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Alexis Murnau
5 FP

The girl sighed. "Well, if I went back now on my own, I'd most likely run into your buddies on the force, and some girl coming out of the basement of a building like this? Sounds pretty suspicious to me. I'll stick with you guys for now."

Alexis' eyebrow raised when she saw Phil duck down beneath the water. "He...doesn't expect us to follow him, does he?"

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Phil Harrigan
3 FP

Phil crawls onto the pavement, wheezing and coughing all the time. A small voice in the back of his head is asking him when he's going to grow up and stop being such a massive idiot.

"No loving way I'm swimming back." he says as he stumbles to a nearby payphone, slams a quarter into the slot and calls Jacob cellphone. With a little luck the guy would at least have tried to keep his phone dry.

Just relaying the how long the tunnel is and such. If it even works that is.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Jacob's phone rings...

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Ha, wasn't sure if I should wait for the call to "go through" or not.

Jacob's phone buzzed in his jacket pocket. He pulled it out. "Phil?"

They talked a bit about the tunnel. "Okay, Alexis and I will loop around and link up with you at the harbor." He hung up and pocketed the phone again. "Sounds like it's a bit too long for a quick dive. Phil is...crazy for doing that, but he's safe, at least. Come on, let's see if there's another way out."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Alexis Murnau
5 FP

"Sure, let's go," Alexis started towards the mouth of the tunnel, before realizing she had absolutely no idea which way to go. She peered into the darkness, and barely made out a new tunnel opening on the left side of the cave. She began walking towards her new discovery. "Let's try this way."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Alexis Murnau
5 FP

"Sure, let's go," Alexis started towards the mouth of the tunnel, before realizing she had absolutely no idea which way to go. She peered into the darkness, and barely made out a new tunnel opening on the left side of the cave. She began walking towards her new discovery. "Let's try this way."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Phil

As Phil hung up the phone, a voice behind him said, "You turn up in the strangest places, Mr. Harrigan."

Offering a Fate Point, invoking your Trouble Aspect if you accept. If you want to take the point, when Phil turns to answer our mystery guest he will immediately be punched in the face, knocked out, and you'll wake up somewhere dry and unpleasant.

Not Phil

By the light of their cell phones, Alexis and Jacob move down the new tunnel, which is at an almost 90 degree angle with where they walked previously. Phil had said that these tunnels were old smuggler tunnels, but this offshoot seemed old than the previous. They soon began to find rough ladders dug into the walls, leading up to shallow alcoves in the ceiling. It's as though the alcoves once were trapdoors from the buildings above, but hadd been filled in long ago. The further they went, the more ladders to nowhere they found.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Phil Harrigan
4 FP

"I know, I'm kinda like a mushroo..." was all he managed to say before he was knocked flat. Never even saw who owned the fist.

I'll take it!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Phil

Phil came to slowly. Beyond the pain in his jaw from the one-punch knockout, he didn't feel any other new pains, so at least they hadn't worked him over while he was out. He found himself tied to a chair, in a small, hot room filled with pipes. the air was dry, and had a chemical smell and taste to it.

"Awake, Mr. Harrigan?" A dakr-haired man leaned casually against the nearby wall. "I don't think we ever officially met when you were... connected with our organization, but I recognize you from the subsequent security advisories. I'm Brother Reagan." The pendant at his throat, an eight-pointed star in the shape of a maltese cross, caught a bit of light from the hallway behind Phil. "Now, what should I do with you?"

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Phil Harrigan
4 FP

The Order. Great.
"Hello Mr. Reagan." he starts out, his speech slightly slurred. "I haven't done anything. Well I did swim through an old smugglers tunnel, but I don't see the problem with that. So I'd say 'let Harrigan go'."

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Jacob Prior
2 FP

Jacob cursed the dim light of his cell phone as Alexis and he traversed the tunnels. She certainly is a feisty one, he thought. Sets her mind to something and gets it done. Reminds me of-

No, push it out of your mind. That was close. He almost thought about them, and breaking down in a sewer probably wasn't the best thing to do right now. He shook his head. Another time.

The ladders were interesting to him. They seemed to lead to nowhere. Was it that it had been so long ago that they were used that the exits had now been covered up, or...? Jacob decided to take a closer look at one of the ladders. "Hold up a sec, Alexis."

Investigate: 4dF+4 = 4!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Announcement

Sorry to do this, y'all, but I'm not going to continue the game. I really want to run a investigative-heavy FATE game, but the way I run games and the way that FATE runs an investigation-heavy game isn't working for me in the PbP medium. The game's dragging, I know that it's dragging, but the only way I see to make the game lively enough to be fun is to make it something it wasn't intended to be, by throwing ninjas or something at it.

I'll leave the thread open for a week before closing it. Thank you for playing the game, for sticking with it, and for the work you put into your characters and posting. Sorry I couldn't give you a better experience, but I think this is the right move instead of forcing a game that just isn't working.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Aww :( Sorry to hear it, Byers. I was having fun while it lasted!

This was my first PbP game, so sorry if I was dragging a little. It helped me learn a lot, though, and if you post another game, I'd love to submit a character for it!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Spincut posted:

This was my first PbP game, so sorry if I was dragging a little.

Not at all, you guys were great. It's just the time needed to build anything is so slow compared to face-to-face, where everything that we've done so far would be maybe 25 minutes to roleplay. Considering my plans, it would have taken months just to get the first storyline completed.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Aw, that's sad :( It was a fun game while it lasted. I really liked the way it took place in a "normal" world, but there obviously was something really weird going on.

Anyway, there are few things worse than GM'ing a game that you aren't into, so don't sweat it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Ah, man, that sucks to hear. It was a fun ride, though, and a good introduction to FATE for a newcomer like myself. In any case, you did an excellent job, Byers!

• Locked thread