Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

idonotlikepeas posted:

The grenades are basically only useful for one thing (beating the troll decker in the arena), and at the price they aren't really worth it.

Hell yes they're worth it. I always did about 500-600 nuyen worth of initial grinding so that I could get a full stack of grenades to cheese the next area with, which basically ensured that I'd never have to do any grinding again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If I remember correctly, the game does let you murder Ed after he arms the cortex bomb. Given the designers' thoroughness and level of detail, I can only assume that it was deliberate rather than an accidental oversight.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Seyser Koze posted:

Also... it's an early-'90s Super Nintendo game, released in America, that unambiguously has booze, exotic dancers, and guns that kill people in it.

I'm still not sure how this one got past the censors.

Nintendo's censors were always weirdly selective and focused on the most superficial things. All the goofy Shadowrun slang probably helped smooth things out--saying the word "kill" was a much bigger red flag for big N than gunning someone down in the streets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also it's overwhelmingly implied that the Stilletoes were the hitmen Drake hired to kill Armitage the first time, so there's good old fashioned revenge if nothing else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

We'll see later that Jake is also cyber-Superman for the amount of poo poo he can cram into his body without dying.

I thought there were only like 3 or 4 bits of cyberware you can get. Is that actually a lot in Shadowrun terms? (Only familiar with the tabletop version in passing.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ugh, this part of the game was extremely frustrating to try to stumble through back in the day. The graveyard entrance is almost impossible to find, and this leg of the story involves a lot of tedious, frustrating keyword hunting. Frustratingly I even had a Nintendo Power that told you how to complete several of the last steps of this arc, but not where to get the obscure keywords to progress to that point! I don't know how many times I got this far and said gently caress it, hired a shadowrunner army, and just went to storm the enemy headquarters for lack of anything else to do (you can do this basically as soon as you get out of the Caryards, but you can't actually progress to the endgame until you've advanced the plot much further.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rockopolis posted:

On the other hand, ghouls also exist to run Tamanous, the loving terrifying organlegging and used cyberware outfit. If you're dealing with them, you're probably a seriously bad dude. Or thrifty.

You can actually play as the Infected, but it's kind of a pain, since you're basically a walking biohazard. Most of the special metatype options were kinda hard to use.

Man, I still remember grinding off those ghouls. If you're here by yourself (or if you don't give a poo poo about your teammates), you stand behind one of those coffins and tape down the shoot button; they get stuck on the coffin trying to get at you.

I think 4th edition let you buy artisanal wooden bullets to hunt vampire. I know you could buy silver bullets for werewolves.

If you're careful you can actually corral your teammates behind a coffin. It's not as foolproof because you're more spread out and the ghouls can pathfind their way around to one sometimes, but on the plus side you have a ton of auto-aiming firepower. Kitsune's kind of a liability for this, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DropsySufferer posted:

An upgraded armor spell + freeze makes this fight trivial. The strange part about this game is that Drake is really the last boss fight everything afterwards is easy.

It's not that easy, but yeah, it's easier than Drake.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SorataYuy posted:

Wait, you can go to Bremerton before you enter the sewers? I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only way you can get the spell before killing him is by using the Debug room trick.

I assume he means using Kitsune's Summon Spirit, which is what I did too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Yeah, once the final matrix segment is done, everything afterwards is scripted. An hell if I'm letting Norbert get cutscene killed in MY LP. :colbert: There was also no real in game explaination for the computer suddenly exploding, so I added that bit of narrative so it didn't just come out of nowhere.

You just hosed up the bad guy's supercomputer after returning from their minion's volcano lair, I think the final self-destruct sequence is self explanatory.

• Locked thread