Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Just found this thread after having picked up Shadowrun Returns during the Steam sale. Been playing the poo poo out of that. What an amazing game. I never played this one though so I didn't even know the character in Returns is a cameo, complete with waking up in a morgue and all.

Gonna be following this LP, for one because you're doing a great job showing off the game and also because I want to see if I missed any other references.

Keksen fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Slick, I didn't actually know that, are the Halloweeners that were in the Genesis version a real gang from the tabletop game too?

Yes, actually. From what little I remember they really loving love fire. Also they don't like Renraku.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
I'm surprised that there's talk about AI and it's connected to that lovely little IT company operating from a warehouse. In the Shadowrun universe, (true) AI is kind of a big deal. Then again that company will probably just end up being a front for a corp or something. I also like how it supposedly specializes in IC and yet there's almost none to be found in its own system.

By the way, when your hired runners leave, can you go back to where you found them and pay them again or are they gone for good?

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

Have you any idea how much good IC cost? No way they could afford to spend that kind of money for that place.

If you're going to ask why it would cost money if they produce it themselves you clearly don't understand modern corporate economics. :downs:

I like to imagine that the wageslaves at Renraku have to pay for IC on their own terminals and are held personally responsible if someone uses them to access the network.

Zeniel posted:

I meant more that they could deal with a threat by just reducing them to a pile of cheap faulty electronics.

At that point they could also just deal with the threat by shooting it dead. Although I guess forcefully mutilating a runner instead of just killing them sends a slightly stronger message.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Zeniel posted:

I figured there'd be some kind of narrative purpose for it happening. Sending a message, orders came from a jerk, runners sprung them free before they could be kllled etc etc.

Yeah, I getcha. I mean, performing surgery on a guy you have already captured just to piss him off would seem like a waste of time to normal people, but all those megacorps are enormous assholes so it's really not at all far fetched.

idonotlikepeas posted:

The new campaign for Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, actually contains a really good reason to give someone essence loss deliberately.

Without wanting to derail the thread any further, are you talking about Glory's backstory or am I missing something? I'm on my third playthrough of that campaign right now.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
To be fair, between letting the insect spirits go free and nuking the place, the latter was probably the nicer option. :v:

I actually vaguely remember reading an old SR novel set in Chicago. I thought it was the coolest poo poo ever, but I also was like 15 at the time. I wish I could remember the title.

E: I think it was Burning Bright.

Keksen fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 27, 2014

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Shadowrun Returns is one of the best singleplayer RPGs I have played in recent memory and the DLC is even better. The stories of both even tie in nicely with some of the general Shadowrun lore mentioned in this thread.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Gentleman Owl posted:

It was indeed Burning Bright, and I have a copy of it sitting around somewhere in the stacks. It was easily my favorite of that era of novel tie-ins, and I was always vaguely disappointed that there wasn't a follow-up novel to finish the hanging plot threads. It was a bit of a shame that none of the other novels used the same sort of interplay and interaction with magic that BB did, especially with spirits.

With the book being a tie-in to an established RPG universe, I actually appreciate it leaving some plot threads unresolved. It basically created more problems for the game world than it solved, and players of Shadowrun could build on that for their campaigns. Makes the setting more interesting.

That said, I also would have liked more books like it. I only read one or two other Shadowrun novels and they just weren't as good.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something here but didn't Jake originally start with this whole thing to find out who almost murdered him and go after them? Now he's killing giant rats and vampires because Gaspode a talking stray dog told him to and also the disembodied head of a clown taunted him. I get the whole spirit totem thing and all, but it seems what we're doing in the game now doesn't help us get any closer to our goal.

If the answer is just "totem animals work in ~mysterious ways~" I'm gonna be very disappointed.

E: Then again, I probably shouldn't expect super tight writing from a SNES era video game.

Keksen fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the very fun LP, Danaru. Even though the game seems good on its own I think one could have easily made an LP of it pretty dull. But your added dialogue and the way you explained everything made it an entertaining read. Props to you.

Tibbeh posted:

Looks like its out already. Check your steam libraries guys

Holy poo poo, I was sure they were gonna make me pay for it again. The sad thing is I would have done it, too. Guess I know what I'll be doing the next couple of days.

• Locked thread