Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm glad someone has finally decided to do an LP of this on here. :)

The only one I could find that was any decent was some obnoxious youtube lp that the guy didn't even finish it, because of some video gently caress up in the last area. And naturally he didn't do anything to correct the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Are there any other sorts of penalties that apply to essence loss other than magical failure and obviously death and lack of humanity at zero or near zero? It always seems like it's a worthy trade off if you don't focus on magic at all otherwise.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I suppose my confusion about essence comes from that fact that its a diminishing series of numbers rather than a binary choice. If all it's designed to do is simply make you swing towards one choice or another for balance purposes it makes me wonder why it appears to have the properties of a spectrum, despite it appearing like there are no good advantages to spreading yourself between the two extremes. It just makes me think that there might have been more to it, I've never played the table top game, I've skimmed through a few of the rule books though. I suppose it could just be a weird anomaly of how the system was designed, has essence been there since the beginning of Shadowrun?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Which makes me wonder why are mages/shamans given the option to cyber up at all?

Seeing as it so crippling to what makes them a viable option in the first place and the fact that its also a permanent choice at that.

I mean, I'm all for giving characters negative qualities and traits that the player has to try and compensate for, but why would you ever inflict them upon yourself mid-game for no good trade off?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
It sounds like corps could totally ruin a mages day by kidnapping them and cybering them up against their will.

Hmm that gives me an idea for character...

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Poil posted:

They could, but a corp controlled mage is, almost, infinitely worth more to them than another wared up person.

I meant more that they could deal with a threat by just reducing them to a pile of cheap faulty electronics.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Keksen posted:

At that point they could also just deal with the threat by shooting it dead. Although I guess forcefully mutilating a runner instead of just killing them sends a slightly stronger message.

I figured there'd be some kind of narrative purpose for it happening. Sending a message, orders came from a jerk, runners sprung them free before they could be kllled etc etc.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

The new campaign for Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, actually contains a really good reason to give someone essence loss deliberately.

Indeed it does, its partly what got me thinking about the ins and outs of essence in the first place.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Actually something else that causes essence loss in the tabletop game is drug abuse, and as far back as the 2nd edition of the RPG there's mention made of incarcerated mages being regularly and repeatedly drugged up until their magic burns out as a "preventative security measure" i.e. the grimdark cyberfuture sucks, deal with it. So if you want to make an example out of someone, smack's cheaper than high-tech implants.

The thing about Essence is it's a game mechanic that was backsolved for flavor. First and foremost its purpose is A). to keep people from doing what Jake's doing and being a full shaman hacker street samurai with boosted reflexes and heavy weapons and also they can cast magic because why the gently caress not and B). to put a hard cap on how much implant 'ware you can cram into your body.

As an actual in-game concept there's generally not a huge ton of difference between someone with 5.9 Essence and someone with 1.9 Essence. Some of the editions flirt with social penalties for heavily augmented characters but the penalties generally aren't that crippling and you can actually get bioware pheromones which give you social bonuses anyway so it's generally down to the nebulous arena of roleplaying.

I guess my next question in regards to essence is, is it naturally a different value for everyone or is it all just naturally 5.0? And also does it in some way equate to magical affinity? Or is a person being gifted at magic different from the whole thing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, how the hell does magic work in Shadowrun exactly?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
What exactly does going under zero essence entail?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Crystalgate posted:

The Cyberzombie seems only really useful for making boss fights. Since boss fights rarely translate well to P&P RPGs, that limits the usefulness further to video and computer Shadowrun games. I suppose you could use them to give the player a "oh poo poo, run away, run away!" moment.

The Dragonfall DLC does something pretty good with the idea. But I'll say no more than that.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm still kind of hoping that someone eventually makes a mod of Renraku Arcology:Shutdown for the new Shadowrun. I was going to do it myself, but I'm pretty bad at designing these sorts of things.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

I would really love to do this, but the sheer scale of the building would make it an absurdly huge number of maps.

Well it doesn't have to be the entire arcology. Just an interesting take on the whole scenario with a number of choice locations and events.

How to start the thing though... Are they runners paid to raid the arcology, or are they trapped in there to begin with or what?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Don't feel too bad about missing that key Danaru. I was inspired to go and give this game a bit of a replay a month ago and I completely forgot where that key was and missed it a number of times.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Ah ghouls are just karma fodder for Joshua's street sammy build.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

And it's a better game than the Genesis one, dammit. :colbert:

Nah, they're both good in their own ways.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Well done on the Lp. You should definitely do a follow up one with SR:R.

And definitely play as Norbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Norbert would obviously have the Socialite affinity.

• Locked thread