Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

After having read Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, I'm continuing on with Ulysses. I'm enjoying it so far, and I'm glad that not only did I read the first two works first, but that the volumes were annotated. It informed me about Irish history and politics that were still at issue when Joyce was writing, which generally doesn't get taught about in the US, even at the university level (unless you take a course on Joyce, I imagine). Having that background information, as well as already having spent a good deal of time with one of the main characters, makes for much easier reading. I'm on the chapter in the library right now, where Stephen and his friends are discussing Shakespeare, and I've got to say that though it be written down, yet forget not that Buck Mulligan is an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Meaty Ore posted:

After having read Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, I'm continuing on with Ulysses. I'm enjoying it so far, and I'm glad that not only did I read the first two works first, but that the volumes were annotated. It informed me about Irish history and politics that were still at issue when Joyce was writing, which generally doesn't get taught about in the US, even at the university level (unless you take a course on Joyce, I imagine). Having that background information, as well as already having spent a good deal of time with one of the main characters, makes for much easier reading. I'm on the chapter in the library right now, where Stephen and his friends are discussing Shakespeare, and I've got to say that though it be written down, yet forget not that Buck Mulligan is an rear end.

He is indeed.

Go post your thoughts as you go in the Joyce thread think its still on page two

artism
Nov 22, 2011

lost in postation posted:

devoid of preciosities

learned a new word for pompous, nice

it seems like all the best, and by that I mean favorite, French writers express themselves more or less plainly

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

lost in postation posted:

I appreciate that every translation is a compromise and so on but Proust doesn't sound luxurious or aristocratic in French. His style is complex but very neat and deliberate and basically devoid of preciosities like rare grammatical constructions or gratuitous metaphors. From what I've read, SC's word choice and sentence structure make him sound almost florid which isn't at all the impression one gets in the original

To be fair the revisions by Kilmartin and Enright correct the course in that respect. They also focus on the dialogue, which Moncrieff had a tin ear for, but the advantage of this translation in particular is the descriptions are just, honestly, gorgeous

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

finished:

- For Whom the Bell Tolls. great war novel, really transports you into the guerilla fighter hideouts during Spanish Civil War
- The Woman in the Dunes. courtesy of this thread. Loved it. suspenseful and straightforward but with plenty of weird philosophical passages. I see parallels to Kafka's The Castle, but dare I admit I prefer this?
- the 'Oxen of the Sun' chapter in Ulysses. that was BRUTAL to read. I'm now on the Circe episode which is zany and fun, what an unexpected relief.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Yeah oxen of the sun can be a bit of a trek to be honest. It's smooth sailing from that point onwards imo, including some of the best stuff ever put in a novel

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

for whom the bell tolls is pretentious self-insert bullshit written by an egomaniacal rear end in a top hat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

for whom the bell tolls is pretentious self-insert bullshit written by an egomaniacal rear end in a top hat

Yeah OK but is it really boring like A Farewell to Arms?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
A Farewell to Arms is interesting because (and this might be present in other Hemingway books but i haven't read them) because the alcoholic drinks get more care and description than anything else

Dude loved a bevvy

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The North Tower posted:

Better than that! It’s not even done and it’s been over 10 years!

On the subject of the new Proust translations, did Viking print any hardcover versions of volumes 5 and 6, or are the (admittedly nice) paperback ones by Penguin Classics the only copies out there ? I really dig the snazzy dust jackets on the first four.

And how much longer until the final volume is released, anyways? I know the delays have been due to copyright law issues.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 22, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just started on To the lighthouse. thirty-odd pages in, but fantastic so far

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm reading Conrad's short stories. They're pretty good this guy knows how to write!

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ngugi's a grain of wheat ... excellent book.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm reading The Three Musketeers and its awesome because if these first 85 pages are any indication, its a book entirely about dudes finding literally the thinnest possible excuses to duel each other. Everything from "Your horse is ugly" to "You bumped into me in the hallway" to "Lmao you fuckin' suck at tennis".

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I just read The Metamorphosis and it was incredible. It was kinda weird reading the interpretations of it, though, cause they focused quite a bit on the social/familial aspects. To me it was very clearly a critique of industrial/capitalist society (the dude turns into a loving bug and his first thought is "omg I missed my train to work"). What do ya'll think? I am excited to keep reading this book of Kafka stories.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

what to read next, thread? Trieste, second to last volume of Proust, or something else entirely

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The Field by Robert Seethaler (A Whole Life is really good too)
At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop
Rock, Paper, Scissors, and Other Stories by Maxim Osipov
Childhood by Tove Ditlevsen
Such Small Hands by Andrés Barba

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
mb

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

ulvir posted:

Trieste

highly recommend, but man, it is rough. i felt physically ill

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

camoseven posted:

I just read The Metamorphosis and it was incredible. It was kinda weird reading the interpretations of it, though, cause they focused quite a bit on the social/familial aspects. To me it was very clearly a critique of industrial/capitalist society (the dude turns into a loving bug and his first thought is "omg I missed my train to work"). What do ya'll think? I am excited to keep reading this book of Kafka stories.

it's been a while since i read it, but i remember a palpable and unsettling sensation of the 'walls closing in' - his world is constantly shrinking, he can't go outside anymore, then he can't leave his room anymore, then all the furniture is removed and it's just bare walls, then he's just under the bed hiding in a blank empty room, listening to his family live on without him outside his door. strong feelings of isolation and being an outcast, cemented at the end by his family smiling cheerfully with relief when he finally dies. I got similar feelings of claustrophobia and helplessness from the castle and the trial, too. it must be his 'thing'

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Lex Neville posted:

The Field by Robert Seethaler (A Whole Life is really good too)
At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop
Rock, Paper, Scissors, and Other Stories by Maxim Osipov
Childhood by Tove Ditlevsen
Such Small Hands by Andrés Barba

some of these sound bleak, and thus good

derp posted:

highly recommend, but man, it is rough. i felt physically ill

I can imagine. I skimmed it quickly once I got it in the mail.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

derp posted:

it's been a while since i read it, but i remember a palpable and unsettling sensation of the 'walls closing in' - his world is constantly shrinking, he can't go outside anymore, then he can't leave his room anymore, then all the furniture is removed and it's just bare walls, then he's just under the bed hiding in a blank empty room, listening to his family live on without him outside his door. strong feelings of isolation and being an outcast, cemented at the end by his family smiling cheerfully with relief when he finally dies. I got similar feelings of claustrophobia and helplessness from the castle and the trial, too. it must be his 'thing'
I read it as a critique/reflection on disability and mental illness! It's been somewhat written on (and speaking of Proust...). Of course capitalism and mental illness are BFFs and the former inevitably produces the latter lol

snailshell fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 29, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I had a very visceral reaction to the apple getting stuck in his carapace

Also how his family members differently react felt very real

I can definitely read both as alienation from capitalist society and as commentary on mental illness taboo

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

derp posted:

He has some nice short stories on themes like those as well:

"Alas," said the mouse, "the whole world is growing smaller every day. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I must run into."

"You only need to change your direction," said the cat, and ate it up.

The titular Hunger Artist also lives willingly in a cage.

Prisons and variations of self-imprisonment often occur in his aphorisms too, which I'd highly recommend:

"There are innumerable hiding places and only one salvation, but the possibilities of salvation are as numerous as the hiding places."

The aphorisms and some of the shorter stories are a great place to see more of his humor come through too, I think, like here:

"Evil is an emanation of human consciousness at certain transitional points. It is not really the physical world that is illusion, but the Evil of it, which to our eyes constitutes, admittedly, the physical world."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m looking for a book that I won’t be able to put down, but that is still real literature. Previous examples include Lincoln in the Bardo, The Secret History, The Corrections. Preferably something with a gripping plot but just compulsively readable like Corrections is good too

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

Preferably something with a gripping plot but just compulsively readable like Corrections is good too

:chloe:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also what are some of the methods that people itt use to choose which book to read next? I struggle so hard to make decisions.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I have a huge to-read pile that I constantly re-sort based on factors including but not limited to language variation, new/classic, fiction/non-fiction and then eventually I tend to just pick whatever is on top when I finish my current book. It helps for me to not dwell on it for too long, but then again I cannot remember when I added a bad book to my to-read list on my own volition, so it's pretty easy to just have faith that the book is going to own.

e: Or do you mean "how do you find books you want to read?"

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2021

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

I have a huge to-read pile that I constantly re-sort based on factors including but not limited to language variation, new/classic, fiction/non-fiction and then eventually I tend to just pick whatever is on top when I finish my current book. It helps for me to not dwell on it for too long, but then again I cannot remember when I added a bad book to my to-read list on my own volition, so it's pretty easy to just have faith that the book is going to own.

e: Or do you mean "how do you find books you want to read?"

Both. I really should make a list instead of just having a bunch of titles sitting in my head. Then instead of having 20 things I’ve heard of and want to read, I have a ranked list already

I also need to stop my FOMO issues where I worry that be reading book A, I can’t be reading book B at that exact moment.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 30, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Lotta good posts about Kafka. I hadn't really thought about the isolation aspect but that's very interesting.

I also thought an apple being what crippled him was real weird, and was trying so hard to work out the logistics of it that it didn't really emotionally affect me at all haha

blue squares posted:

Both. I really should make a list instead of just having a bunch of titles sitting in my head. Then instead of having 20 things I’ve heard of and want to read, I have a ranked list already

I have an Amazon wishlist that I use. You could also use goodreads (now owned by Amazon). At the risk of derailing things a bit I would encourage you to not actually use Amazon to make your book purchases, just track what you wanna buy and then buy them elsewhere.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

blue squares posted:

I also need to stop my FOMO issues where I worry that be reading book A, I can’t be reading book B at that exact moment.

My method is to hoard at least a hundred or so unread books in either physical or electronic format. Then I read whatever feels the most attractive at the moment. I also read several books in parallel, usually something demanding, something light and a non fiction title at the same time, switching between them. The method might not work fo everyone but I find it enjoyable.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Reading capitalism and the like into Kafka is totally acceptable.

buuuuuuut

I prefer a closer internal read which feels the revulsion from both the transforming subject and the parents. Absolute loss of control over self and body, helpless to repair oneself (the apple), rejection/horror from the closest (blood) bonds because one has changed to become monstrous overnight.

Sitting in that before labeling anything, even mental health, rules imo.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

Also what are some of the methods that people itt use to choose which book to read next? I struggle so hard to make decisions.

This thread (lol) and the discord. If I hear a book rec'd enough times I'll get it, or if I hear a book compared to one I love

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

I’m looking for a book that I won’t be able to put down, but that is still real literature. Previous examples include Lincoln in the Bardo, The Secret History, The Corrections. Preferably something with a gripping plot but just compulsively readable like Corrections is good too

Last samurai by Helen Dewitt, possibly

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

derp posted:

Last samurai by Helen Dewitt, possibly

That's a solid one that I read for the first time a few months ago after reading Vulture's best books of the 21st Century article https://www.vulture.com/article/best-books-21st-century-so-far.html

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
weird that so many people don't get how centuries are counted

another one i read very quickly was Agamemnon's Daughter

in most cases though, i think if a book is 'unputdownable' then there's probably not much to think about or be impressed by or to savor--(all things that would make me put down the book for a moment and think 'wow' or something of the like) in which case it's probably not great literature.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blue squares posted:

Read Blinding.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Quit Being a loving Child and Read Blinding

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Read Blinding.

Just put a request in at my library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

derp posted:

This thread (lol) and the discord. If I hear a book rec'd enough times I'll get it, or if I hear a book compared to one I love

There's a goon book discord?