Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
The Sellout by Paul Beatty is v.good and you should go read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wow... society said that book was good and it was. Incredibly hosed up. Time to only read new books because nobody's ever written reviews for them yet.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
idk man I haven't had time to read any fiction written later than ~1500 in months

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

beergod posted:

The Sellout by Paul Beatty is v.good and you should go read it

Did you read that based on the recommendation given in this thread? I'm glad you found something you liked so much

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can kind of get the appeal of spending a year or so only reading new books, only going to get to read a tiny fraction of all the books in existence so it's a interesting thing to do I suppose, but if someone is actively avoiding books that are classics for good reason then it's a bit sad really .

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
check out this pic of an obsessed man and his cone

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nanomashoes posted:

Wow... society said that book was good and it was. Incredibly hosed up. Time to only read new books because nobody's ever written reviews for them yet.

U mad

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

learnincurve posted:

I can kind of get the appeal of spending a year or so only reading new books, only going to get to read a tiny fraction of all the books in existence so it's a interesting thing to do I suppose, but if someone is actively avoiding books that are classics for good reason then it's a bit sad really .

Actively avoiding books based on when they were published is dumb, old books or new. No reason to limit yourself.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

learnincurve posted:

Its not actively avoiding books. Like you said, you only have enough room to read in your life, I just prioritize new fiction over old fiction. It's not like I walk past Dickens and hiss at it, I just realize there is a limit to how many books I will read in my lifetime and decided I would rather focus on the contemporary.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Four-Twenty posted:

check out this pic of an obsessed man and his cone

he owns so hard

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Literature that your High School Teacher Didn't Make You Read

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

blue squares posted:

Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Literature that your High School Teacher Didn't Make You Read

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
They tried to make us read an abridged version of the Hunchback of Notre Dame in english class in school

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm sorry, I couldn't read your post because I would be affected by the opinions of previous posters who responded to you in this thread.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just read Virginia Woolf's An Unwritten Novel and it was so drat good that I signed up for a Virginia Woolf class next semester

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Earlier when I said about nothing good having been written in the UK for 200 years I almsot went back and edited it cos I suddenly remembered Virginia Woolf.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mallamp what are your thoughts on VIRGINIA WOOLF

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd prefer her if she were VIRGIN woolf

-Mallamp, probably

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm sorry, I couldn't read your post because I would be affected by the opinions of previous posters who responded to you in this thread.

drat bro looking back at Sodom over here

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

I'd prefer her if she were VIRGIN woolf

-Mallamp, probably

No good author has ever had sex.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Counter argument: Dickens was quite the player back in his day.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Milton had sex with at least two women because one of them was his daughter

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Counter argument: Dickens was quite the player back in his day.

Dickens isn't good though

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

CestMoi posted:

No good author has ever had sex.

William Gaddis had a reasonable and decent amount of sex.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

God had sex with Mary and he wrote the bible.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Earlier when I said about nothing good having been written in the UK for 200 years I almsot went back and edited it cos I suddenly remembered Virginia Woolf.

hey, read wyndham lewis, he's cool, you'll probably like him since you like grumpy reactionaries iirc

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
good writing doesn't exist, at most we can hope for a brief and ultimately dismaying glimpse into supernatural afforded to us when all of god's dices land with sixes up

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
there's plenty of good writing. for instance, obituaries where the deceased was run over by a train. or whatever letters can be mistakenly interpreted in the forms of drowned animal carcasses piling up in the bend of a creek.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

hey, read wyndham lewis, he's cool, you'll probably like him since you like grumpy reactionaries iirc

Oh yeah sorry I meant to repsond to htis when you said it earlier what is good by Wyndham Lewis, I like all reactionaries.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

CestMoi posted:

Mallamp what are your thoughts on VIRGINIA WOOLF

I like the waves

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Nanomashoes posted:

God had sex with Mary and he wrote the bible.

Only if you're a Mormon, though.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

But I also think Leonard Woolf is pretty cool guy eh gave Virginia Woolf room of her own and doesnt afraid of anythign

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Virginia Woolf don't need a man to give her anything

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Virginia Woolf don't need a man to give her anything

Swimming lessons might have helped

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
I'm reading the last temptation of christ OP. is that real literature.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I bought a book called a Portrait of a Marriage of two of the bloomsbury group who hosed around yet still seemed pretty happy today, should get to reading that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just picked up this book called Fight Club, really powerful stuff. Really makes you think about how we're all like, slaves to society and the system. Really eye-opening

I have also heard good things about this House of Leaves book. Supposed to be mind-bending. Get this, the book has different colors.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mel are you owning me and is this book very bad or what.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mel are you owning me and is this book very bad or what.

Nah just being a random rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel has gone prodromal from thinking about dark souls 3 lore too much