Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Getsuya posted:

What kind of kidlit are you looking for? I read a lot since I’m trying to write in that market. Most modern stuff I’ve read is great. It’s actually a really amazing market these days full of diverse authors.

Getsuya posted:

Ahh sadly you’re not going to find any modern kidlit written like pre-1950s books so I can’t really think of anything to recommend. The stuff you mentioned (a good kidlit voice and good pacing) is standard these days. Sounds like you should just stick to old stuff.
These posts are depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sham bam bamina! posted:

These posts are depressing.

Very. Where's the thread for snobs who hate mass market lit I thought this was it?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Amethyst, you might want to look into Walter Moers.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Try Serafina and the Black Cloak.
I don’t know how interested you are in non-fantasy but The Candymakers is the new Holes and it’s good. Green Glass House is good too.

If you’re okay with horror try Lockwood and Co

If any of those end up working out let me know and I can use those as a base for some more.

Fake edit: oh and if you have any interest in superheroes the Squirrel Girl novels are great.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Looks cool, thanks.

Roald Dahl books have been good. He puts in poems and actually makes jokes. Modern "kidlit" seems completely devoid of humor.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's always the Shel Silverstein books

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

Roald Dahl books have been good. He puts in poems and actually makes jokes. Modern "kidlit" seems completely devoid of humor.
I was a little old for How to Train Your Dragon when it came out, but even then I thought that it was fun and funny, very similar to Dahl. (The movie has nothing to do with the book at all.)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Looks cool, thanks.

I haven’t found this to be the case.

Throw The Mysterious Benedict Society on the recommendation pile.

Edit: I should start a thread titled ‘Quit Trying to be a loving Adult and Enjoy Good Kidlit’

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 12, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Please stop saying that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That thread exists, by the way, but I feel that it would probably have the same reaction.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 12, 2020

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

According to courtesy books, chaucer was read to children in the 15th century. So read your child the miller's tale

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

Edit: Also I don't know if these phrases were actually coined in this translation of this particular book but if they were it's fun knowing where 'by Jove' and 'bite the dust' came from.

no dude none of them were coined with whatever translation you're reading, also loosen your death grip on the "character arc" concept

J_RBG posted:

According to courtesy books, chaucer was read to children in the 15th century. So read your child the miller's tale

the knight's if you want to put them to sleep

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I mean I'm not married to it but as a true newb of literature open to learning how to approach this beast may I ask why? I would assume any dynamic character has some kind of change over the course of a work that could be described as an 'arc'.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Gulliver's Travels?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Getsuya posted:

I mean I'm not married to it but as a true newb of literature open to learning how to approach this beast may I ask why? I would assume any dynamic character has some kind of change over the course of a work that could be described as an 'arc'.
Storytellers weren't always bound by the idea of characters undergoing change. Modern stories are preoccupied with psychology and arcs, whereas many older tales are simply that, tales.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

THis conversation reminded me of this cool passage from a blog post I read recently

quote:

Books for children tend to be free of all the tedious conventions of the bourgeois novel. They’ve inherited the legacy of the myth, the epic, and the tale. As Walter Benjamin pointed out, psychological realism will never come as close to the meat of human subjectivity as a good, radically indeterminate fairy-tale metaphor. See how he rails against ‘the dreadful cobbling-together of disparate elements that loosely make for characters in novels of an inferior sort,’ thrown together with ‘the repulsive crust of the psychologically palpable completing the mannequin.’ Children’s stories, and tales more generally, knew how to present things ‘dry, so to speak, drained of all psychological motivation,’ and ‘they lost nothing as a result.’

But there’s hardly any children’s fiction around any more – as an author friend put it to me, we jump straight from picture-books to young adult fiction. And young adult fiction is for adults. It’s fiction that Deals With Issues In People’s Lives; even when it’s about wizards or vampires, it’s always in a realist mode. If we take Derrida’s definition of literature – literature is a text in which the ‘thetic relation to meaning or referent’ is ‘complicated and folded,’ a text that isn’t simply about the thing that it’s about, but which involves you in the processes and difficulties of getting from words to meanings – then none of this stuff is literature. The repeated demand from the adult consumers of YA fiction is that it must always be more socially relevant, more virtuous, more unambiguous, more thetic. A good book is one that means the right things. But the solution isn’t to just read the books for adults that are marketed as being books for adults, because our contemporary prizewinning fiction is all lovely realist thetic non-literature as well. It’s in what I’ve elsewhere called Mfalé, MFA Literary English. All fiction is young-adult fiction now, and none of us are young.

That second bit about how modern children's literature is just YA literature really hit home for me, and was the reason I came in here asking for recs.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
That post is behind the times. What you want is Middle Grade. Middle Grade is the market between chapter books (which comes after picture books) and YA. I called it kidlit because not everyone knows what I mean if I say middle grade, but if you search for middle grade you’ll see that children’s lit is thriving and full of really great stuff. There’s a freedom and wonder you’ll find in MG that can’t be found in other markets. YA and adult fiction is full of cynicism and irony. MG doesn’t have any of that. It’s a market for pure adventure and feeling.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
God, shut up.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Amethyst posted:

THis conversation reminded me of this cool passage from a blog post I read recently

That second bit about how modern children's literature is just YA literature really hit home for me, and was the reason I came in here asking for recs.

Literally read a blog post by the same person this evening. I didn't read the post you quoted, but another one and the Mfalé thing stuck out. The one I read was about "adult" fiction.

quote:

All this is particularly strange when you consider that “Cat Person” was written in a very particular ritual dialect called Mfalé, which emerged out of the temple complexes in Norwich and Iowa City, and is short for MFA Literary English. But the thing about Mfalé is that it tries to make itself invisible: it’s the style of no style; simple, unadorned, correct realist writing. This is how it became a vernacular; this is why Mfalé literature is so easily read as something other than literature. But for all that, it’s still a set of conventions, as basically artificial as any other.

Texts written in Mfalé are brisk, frank, stark, plain, competent, and readable. They concern the daily lives of a few everyday characters, usually young, usually in some kind of bad sexual relationship or complicated breakup, usually mediated by digital technology. There’s a close attention to sensory detail, and an even closer attention to minor affective nuances: moments of inattention or miscommunication, people who see each other as more or less than they actually are, small eddies of desperation or loneliness or regret. There’s a lot of banal but realistically rendered dialogue. Stories are generally (but not always) written in the third person, but hew very closely to one particular perspective. If they’re not autobiographical, they read very strongly as if they might be autobiographical. They’re implicitly universal, but shy away from allegory, symbolism, or satire; instead of being general they’re relatable, so that each incident could plausibly echo a situation in your own life in a blossoming of one-to-one correspondences, so that the reader can imagine that the smart but hosed-up girl or the soulful but awkward boy is themselves and nobody else. Unlike some terminally online writers you might want to name, the authors of these works aren’t adverbially preening themselves with strange words or sentences elongated into unreadability – but they’re also not self-consciously flat or affectless or nihilistic. They gesture towards a kind of emotional hyperliteracy. If the author is showing off about something, it’s how much they see, how well they understand the social pitfalls of ordinary life.

Edit: It might as well have come from this thread with the reference to dragons. https://samkriss.com/2019/05/22/how-to-disdain-your-dragon/

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Getsuya posted:

That post is behind the times. What you want is Middle Grade. Middle Grade is the market between chapter books (which comes after picture books) and YA. I called it kidlit because not everyone knows what I mean if I say middle grade, but if you search for middle grade you’ll see that children’s lit is thriving and full of really great stuff. There’s a freedom and wonder you’ll find in MG that can’t be found in other markets. YA and adult fiction is full of cynicism and irony. MG doesn’t have any of that. It’s a market for pure adventure and feeling.

Age appropriate reading is the worst thing you can throw at a child. Pin them to the kid's section until they bother the librarian enough to get a card for the adult section.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Getsuya posted:

I think the freedom and wonder is limited when you organize your stories into blocks with names like "middle grade" as if they are car tyres.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mrenda posted:

Literally read a blog post by the same person this evening. I didn't read the post you quoted, but another one and the Mfalé thing stuck out. The one I read was about "adult" fiction.

Edit: It might as well have come from this thread with the reference to dragons. https://samkriss.com/2019/05/22/how-to-disdain-your-dragon/

He's very good. RIP dead ken

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

I think the freedom and wonder is limited when you organize your stories into blocks with names like "middle grade" as if they are car tyres.
"It's a market for pure adventure and feeling."
—Not Patrick Bateman

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Getsuya posted:

This is a tautology; of course a dynamic character changes. Also you should finish the poem before you discuss it like this.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Getsuya posted:

The Iliad is a three thousand year old epic poem, and approaching it by looking at things that all narratives in general are thought to share is not massively helpful. It's very different from almost everything else ever written. Achilles has an arc but he, like all of the Greeks, is a robotic monster whose story doesn't really provide a "payoff" for the whole work. It's a composite work of key historical and religious significance, the beauty is in the details

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Apparently Lampie by Annet Schaap is really good, recent children's literature OP

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Getsuya posted:

the concept of character arcs is relatively recent and is only a convention of certain types of fiction. for example, one of the main features of the picaresque is that the characters don't generally change much over the course of the work, they remain static. lots of modernist fiction doesn't have strict arcs in the sense you're talking about either, probably because it also doesn't have much of an emphasis on plot.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 12, 2020

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It is in fact an especially irrelevant notion in epic poetry, where characters are inexorably driven by their essential nature towards their triumph or, more frequently, destruction. Indicating the (unchanging) essence of the characters, peoples, gods, etc. is one of the most important uses of epithets in the form

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lost in postation posted:

It is in fact an especially irrelevant notion in epic poetry, where characters are inexorably driven by their essential nature towards their triumph or, more frequently, destruction. Indicating the (unchanging) essence of the characters, peoples, gods, etc. is one of the most important uses of epithets in the form

yeah I recalled them being more archetypes than people but its been a long time since I last read it

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Clanging my pot and yelling at you all to read Erich Auerbach's Mimesis again:

quote:

...nothing must remain hidden and unexpressed. With the utmost fullness, with an orderliness which even passion does not disturb, Homer's personages vent their inmost hearts in speech; what they do not say to others, they speak in their own minds, so that the reader is informed of it. Much that is terrible takes place in the Homeric poems, but it seldom takes place wordlessly ... their relationships––their temporal, local, causal, final, consecutive, comparative, concessive, antithetical, and conditional limitations––are brought to light in perfect fullness; so that a continuous rhythmic procession of phenomena passes by, and never is there a form left fragmentary or half-illuminated, never a lacuna, never a gap, never a glimpse of unplumbed depths.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

speaking of really dumb ways to read Homer https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/3-lessons-from-homers-odyssey/

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love opening every book I find so I can look for coaching talking points and lifehacks

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
that url is triggering me jesus christ

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have no idea what the thread has been talking about the last few pages but I am positive I hate it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
TOPIC SWERV

i am reading The Part About Amalfitano and now i want to hang a book on a wire off my deck

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ancient Greeks practised "manly hospitality" you say?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Tbh it's very funny to imagine subliterate "traditionalists" suffering through a lovely 19th c. translation of the Anabasis or whatever so they can extract self-help lessons about masculinity

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My children's literature hot take: every kid should read The Phantom Tollbooth. If they already have, they should read it again.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

forgive the vice link but this book is good and you should read it. feels like it was ahead of the curve in how it deploys fragmented semi-hallucinatory dreamlike dispatches, very prescient in predicting the information hyperloop we find ourselves in today

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/5gkn8a/underappreciated-masterpieces-mary-robisons-why-did-i-ever-010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

gh0stpinballa posted:

forgive the vice link but this book is good and you should read it. feels like it was ahead of the curve in how it deploys fragmented semi-hallucinatory dreamlike dispatches, very prescient in predicting the information hyperloop we find ourselves in today

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/5gkn8a/underappreciated-masterpieces-mary-robisons-why-did-i-ever-010

This sounds cool and it did remind me of something I thought this thread could answer.

21st century literature by women. Who are the top names/works?

maybe it's a dumb question but I rarely see woman writers mentioned by the literati in the last twenty years. I'm probably out of the loop in general though