Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Heath posted:

I read that as "RUFF PLAY :3" and now I'm sad

>w<;;;;;;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

drat nobody even tried to take my Dostoevsky bait. I'm disappointed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mdemone posted:

My dudes, I am re-reading The Bros Karamazov, and I think the Grand Inquisitor bit might be the best thing anyone's ever written, but you can change my mind if you want

Bro, no one caredmazov

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I deserved that.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I recently read Juan Benet's Return to Region, after having read The Meditation a few months ago. They are both excellent. It seems that these are the only two Benet novels translated to english, both by Gregory Rabassa who also did Garcia Marquez, Cortazar, Lispector and others. Are people here familiar with him? Do I have to learn Spanish if I want to read more? Benet is often compared to Faulkner, who I haven't read, so I guess I should start there.

Both novels deal with the development of and fallout from the Spanish civil war in a fictional rural region of Spain. The region is depicted as slowly decaying, having never quite made the jump from antiquity to modernity. The war comes along as sort of a final nail in the coffin, an event that ends any hope for a future for Region and the people who live there. Time, memory, and the formation of self and society are themes in both novels, and both are pessimistic about the future and wary of the past. He depicts people who have given up hope for the future, or maybe never really had any. Return to Region is more directly connected to the civil war, while A Meditation is one persons perspective on the decay of the region, and his family in particular, over a long time period which includes the war.

His sentences and paragraphs are long, often with many digressions. A Meditation is one ~300 page paragraph. His narratives also have many digressions. One of the best portions of Return to Region is a 20 page digression into the geology and formation of the mountains encircling Region, and the patterns of settlement on the mountains throughout their history.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I've been reading the Dictionary of the Khazars and am happy to report that it is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of Literature.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Belgian posted:

I've been reading the Dictionary of the Khazars and am happy to report that it is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of Literature.

i haven't seen a second impact misinterpreted this much since the zapruder film

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I read a review of Otessa Moshfegh's forthcoming book (this one by Lauren Oyler) and it got me curious about Moshfegh's other novels. I've heard of My Year of Rest and Relaxation and was wondering if anyone has thoughts about it or her debut novel. Seems potentially cool but I've been burned before getting recommendations from outside this thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

I recently read Juan Benet's Return to Region, after having read The Meditation a few months ago. They are both excellent. It seems that these are the only two Benet novels translated to english, both by Gregory Rabassa who also did Garcia Marquez, Cortazar, Lispector and others. Are people here familiar with him? Do I have to learn Spanish if I want to read more? Benet is often compared to Faulkner, who I haven't read, so I guess I should start there.

Both novels deal with the development of and fallout from the Spanish civil war in a fictional rural region of Spain. The region is depicted as slowly decaying, having never quite made the jump from antiquity to modernity. The war comes along as sort of a final nail in the coffin, an event that ends any hope for a future for Region and the people who live there. Time, memory, and the formation of self and society are themes in both novels, and both are pessimistic about the future and wary of the past. He depicts people who have given up hope for the future, or maybe never really had any. Return to Region is more directly connected to the civil war, while A Meditation is one persons perspective on the decay of the region, and his family in particular, over a long time period which includes the war.

His sentences and paragraphs are long, often with many digressions. A Meditation is one ~300 page paragraph. His narratives also have many digressions. One of the best portions of Return to Region is a 20 page digression into the geology and formation of the mountains encircling Region, and the patterns of settlement on the mountains throughout their history.

A Meditation is on my to read list because I am obligated to read all cool long sentence European writers but i've not read it just yet. There is a book of his called 'The Construction of the Tower of Babel' published a few years back by Wakefield press that sounded cool as well, it's essays though rather than fiction.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

A human heart posted:

A Meditation is on my to read list because I am obligated to read all cool long sentence European writers but i've not read it just yet. There is a book of his called 'The Construction of the Tower of Babel' published a few years back by Wakefield press that sounded cool as well, it's essays though rather than fiction.

I read Construction as well. I would recommend reading it after A Meditation. In critiquing the painting he is also discussing his own philosophical stance, which is most visible in A Meditation. It is also interesting because he is an engineer and his critique includes a discussion of the architectural features of the painting.

Benet apparently made a type writer to write A Meditation that would feed a spool of paper so he could write it all without stopping to change the paper.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’m gonna need to grab me some Juan Benet, his books sounds dope

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

I’m gonna need to grab me some Juan Benet, his books sounds dope

poo poo, same

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Vineland was a slog through the middle but it ultimately came together nicely and now I feel that it is, in fact, quite good. This and GR are my experience with Pynchon. I'd pick Bleeding Edge next but I'll probably check out some other authors for awhile.

In Vineland, as in GR, Weber's charismatic authority concept is brought up:

Vineland posted:

"About the only thing'll get a fascist through's his charm. The newsfolks love it."

Also, lol:

Vineland posted:

"Ol' Raygun? No way he'll ever make president."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Would strongly recommend V. before Bleeding Edge

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Vineland was a slog through the middle but it ultimately came together nicely and now I feel that it is, in fact, quite good. This and GR are my experience with Pynchon. I'd pick Bleeding Edge next but I'll probably check out some other authors for awhile.

In Vineland, as in GR, Weber's charismatic authority concept is brought up:

Also, lol:

why gr to vineland to bleeding edge? that is an odd path through his work.

Heath posted:

Would strongly recommend V. before Bleeding Edge

absolutely. v. or inherent vice for "shorter pynchons once you've finished gr" over bleeding edge and vineland any day

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 30, 2020

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

No no no, don't read Bleeding Edge next. You've got through GR, now work on one of the other major novels.

His mimicry works are wonderful and on-point, but it's not where his big interests are. Maybe try starting Against The Day. If you pushed through GR, you can handle it; the same rules apply.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol everybody had the same immediate reaction

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

My reasons are flimsy. GR because it's GR. Then Vineland because "Pynchon in the redwoods, neat!. Bleeding Edge because "Pynchon and 9/11, woah"

I will take the advice ITT though.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I read lot 49 and didn't feel any urge to read any other pynchon. Should I try anyway

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

My reasons are flimsy. GR because it's GR. Then Vineland because "Pynchon in the redwoods, neat!. Bleeding Edge because "Pynchon and 9/11, woah"

I will take the advice ITT though.

I love him to death but he doesn't have a lot to say about the 21st century. We already hosed this world up during the 20th, and delving into that is where he shines.

I kind of pity him, in a way. The forces he so boldly stands against have won, and how can he reckon with that?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

I read lot 49 and didn't feel any urge to read any other pynchon. Should I try anyway

Read GR with Weisenburger and be awed. That's all I can say.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

derp posted:

49 is widely considered a tier apart from the rest. Not a bad book but it's too thin to capture what makes him appealing

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heath posted:

49 is widely considered a tier apart from the rest. Not a bad book but it's too thin to capture what makes him appealing

It feels like the rest of his juvenilia, which is sort of a weird thing to say because it's a drat sight better than anything most authors have achieved.

But you're right. It's like he was poking at the issues he wanted to grapple with.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

derp posted:

"The gaudy names Mr. Pynchon gives his characters are like pink slips, announcing their dismissal from the realm of human sympathy and concern."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My Pynchon journey so far has been Mason & Dixon, Lot 49, and now I just finished part two of GR

nut
Jul 30, 2019

The Belgian posted:

how have you been reading it? front to back or jumping between dictionaries? I've been sitting on the male version for a while and maybe lockdown is the push I need to go for it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

nut posted:

how have you been reading it? front to back or jumping between dictionaries? I've been sitting on the male version for a while and maybe lockdown is the push I need to go for it.

I read it by jumping around. Either following the references between entries and dictionaries or just picking one that seemed interesting. Reading it front to back is certainly one way to do it but part of the experience would be lost, I think.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

apophenium posted:

I read it by jumping around. Either following the references between entries and dictionaries or just picking one that seemed interesting. Reading it front to back is certainly one way to do it but part of the experience would be lost, I think.

This sounds really cool, but how will you know when you've finished it?

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Ficconies probably my fave book ever so bought the Aleph and found it very meh. Anyone else find it disappointing?

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I’ve been on a tear of making myself read contemporary Canadian fiction but it’s been so hit or miss I need something else for a while.

One of my favourite books is Life and Death are Wearing me Out by Mo Yan. I just think it’s a very fun and memorable multigenerational story. I’ve heard the comedic parts of it are comparable to Tristram Shandy but if anyone has a better rec than that I’d love to hear it.

Edit: I should mention I have read and love 100 years of solitude because that comes to mind when I think of it

nut fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 31, 2020

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
[smug chuckling at the idea of 'Canadian literature']

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Someone should write a Joycean epic entirely in Newfie

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

[smug chuckling at the idea of 'Canadian literature']

I said fiction very on purpose lol

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They already did

https://www.amazon.ca/Gaff-Topsails-Patrick-Kavanagh/dp/1896951848

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ulysses what i sees

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

loving sick

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

nut posted:

I’ve been on a tear of making myself read contemporary Canadian fiction but it’s been so hit or miss I need something else for a while.

One of my favourite books is Life and Death are Wearing me Out by Mo Yan. I just think it’s a very fun and memorable multigenerational story. I’ve heard the comedic parts of it are comparable to Tristram Shandy but if anyone has a better rec than that I’d love to hear it.

Edit: I should mention I have read and love 100 years of solitude because that comes to mind when I think of it

I don't really have any good multigenerational sort of recommendation, but if the animal perspective was endearing/entertaining enough then give Elephant's Journey by Saramago a try, and if you liked it for the lolling out loud parts, try Flight of Icarus by Queneau.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

if you want good multigenerational stories

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell
The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think one of my fiance's book clubs are doing Middlesex next actually, I'll ask her how it was after they're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

I think one of my fiance's book clubs are doing Middlesex next actually, I'll ask her how it was after they're done

Its kind of fun because its about a person with horrible genetic deformities going through their family history of secret incest that lead to their birth