Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Not to belabour the point but Bataille was an enormously literate and self-reflective writer whose explorations of transgression are a lot more purposeful and deliberate than the tawdry reputation of something like L'Histoire de l'oeil would have you believe, and he's absolutely worth reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Recently I've decided to jump back into Shakespeare after enjoying some of his sonnets. I hate having to look at footnotes for definitions are there any other collections that go for the definitions in the margins instead of in the footnotes? Mostly looking for the plays individually. I know the Norton Shakespeare has the definitions in the margins, but I'm not so sure about buying such a thick weapon book.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hat Thoughts posted:

mishima confessions of a mask made e think...if this guy was born in france he'd be a lot more chilled out

I had basically the same thoughts, like if you subtracted the repression of the environment if he would've been nearly so miserable

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Xeom posted:

Recently I've decided to jump back into Shakespeare after enjoying some of his sonnets. I hate having to look at footnotes for definitions are there any other collections that go for the definitions in the margins instead of in the footnotes? Mostly looking for the plays individually. I know the Norton Shakespeare has the definitions in the margins, but I'm not so sure about buying such a thick weapon book.

the Folger Library editions are very cheap and easy to read. They have glosses on the opposite page, iirc.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Coffee stains everywhere though

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

mishima confessions of a mask made e think...if this guy was born in france he'd be a lot more chilled out

Two nukes at around 20 years old can’t have had a positive affect, either. I don’t know how you survive that and come away NOT obsessed with death.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Anyone read anything good from 2022

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I haven't finished it yet but I got Otessa Moshfegh's latest and it's pretty nice. It's set in a village in the Middle Ages so Moshfegh, who is inclined to the grotesque, gets even grosser than normal, if that's your thing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I'm reading Winesburg, Ohio right now and really enjoying it. My wife chastised me for not reading the author bio, because I never think they are interesting, but after reading half the book I'm wondering if I should go back

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I'm reading Winesburg, Ohio right now and really enjoying it. My wife chastised me for not reading the author bio, because I never think they are interesting, but after reading half the book I'm wondering if I should go back

That was the first book I read on advice of this thread, at least I think it was from this thread. Really liked it too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It's a great book and I'm a sucker for that kind of structure. And stories set in small towns.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im reading Aller tage abend by Jenny Erpenbeck, it’s pretty good

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Finished Wineburg, Ohio. Really great. Reflecting back on the idea of a "grotesque", it's a really great book. Just a bunch of weird broken people.

My next book is my fourth attempt at Gravity's Rainbow. My previous attempts derailed after the first section. I don't know if there's some sort of companion guide to help me parse the book better. I feel super dumb trying to read any pynchon- even lot 49 made my eyes just slide off the words :eng99:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Finished Wineburg, Ohio. Really great. Reflecting back on the idea of a "grotesque", it's a really great book. Just a bunch of weird broken people.

My next book is my fourth attempt at Gravity's Rainbow. My previous attempts derailed after the first section. I don't know if there's some sort of companion guide to help me parse the book better. I feel super dumb trying to read any pynchon- even lot 49 made my eyes just slide off the words :eng99:

Some Things That "Happen" (More or Less) In Gravity's Rainbow is a handy summary.

Pynchon Wiki has annotations.

Next time I read it, I'll probably use the Weisenburger Gravity's Rainbow Companion.

With Pynchon, you just keep reading. Read it slower, read it with intention, and just keep reading. You can always go back and re-read a section for clarity later.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Franchescanado posted:

Some Things That "Happen" (More or Less) In Gravity's Rainbow is a handy summary.

Pynchon Wiki has annotations.

Next time I read it, I'll probably use the Weisenburger Gravity's Rainbow Companion.

With Pynchon, you just keep reading. Read it slower, read it with intention, and just keep reading. You can always go back and re-read a section for clarity later.

Oh, these are wonderful, thank you!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

im reading Aller tage abend by Jenny Erpenbeck, it’s pretty good

i’ve finished Aller tage abend by Jenny Erpenbeck, it was pretty good. the intermezzos started to feel repetitive after the third time though, but liked the premise and theme

Segue
May 23, 2007

I just finished Eimar McBride's A Child is a Half-Formed Thing and I think it definitely qualifies as it's absolutely miserable except that the prose is this visceral embodiment.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Segue posted:

I just finished Eimar McBride's A Child is a Half-Formed Thing and I think it definitely qualifies as it's absolutely miserable except that the prose is this visceral embodiment.

Probably my favorite book. Agree that it is heavy, though I personally wouldn’t say miserable. Something about sharing her stream of consciousness imparts an empathy and dignity she was repeatedly denied throughout her life. Basically only the reader listens to her. drat I’m due for a reread but I think I gave my copy away.

Did you read it in translation? The title in English is “A Girl Is a Half-Formed thing.” Maybe just a typo, but fascinating if not.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Reading Revolutionary Road, as it’s been sitting in my bookshelf forever and I needed something breezy to read.

Enjoying it more than I thought I would. If anyone has other Yates books they want to shoutout I would definitely be interested.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Just finished Helen DeWitt's The Last Samurai. I grew to love the characters and their eccentricities. Just a beautiful, and weird story. Lightning Rods, from the same author, is incredible if anyone's looking for a satire right now.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

sephiRoth IRA posted:

If you can absolutely destroy your brain learning about post ww2 deep politics it makes reading Pynchon loving transcendent

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Someone choose my next Dostoyevsky I’m undecided between Brothers K or Demons

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
read brothers k

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

La Chinoise is supposedly an adaption of Demons which is wild. I guarantee the novels better than that lovely movie, but Brothers is an incredibly good work so probably just read that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Thirding Brothers K, it’s transcendent.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I did an reading of contemporary lit, The Netanyahus. it was pretty entertaining, not really groundbreaking in any way but the prose flowed well enough

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Is there a particular translation one should aim for Brothers K?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Idaholy Roller posted:

Constance Garnett. Stay away from Pevear and Volonhsky.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

Constance Garnett. Stay away from Pevear and Volonhsky.

Several russian speakers are typing..

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Well that's fortunate, I've been reading a translation I just grabbed off Project Gutenberg and it turns out to be Garnett.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

btw Standard Ebooks has nice looking epub versions of a bunch of Project Gutenberg, including the Garnett Brothers Karamazov:
https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/fyodor-dostoevsky/the-brothers-karamazov/constance-garnett

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Garnett's fine. Maybe not the greatest attempt at trying to create a comparable prose style to Dostoyevsky since her own phrasing and rhythm is fairly distinctive across authors but there have been much worse Russian-to-English translations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I've always assumed we're just not going to be able to access what is great about the Russian text, because Western-trained translators will sound stilted to Russian speakers, and vice versa.

Lydia Davis is closer to French phrasing & tone in Proust, for example, than any native English speaker can probably get to Russian text. It's just not gonna happen, so just read Garnett and deal with your issues.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m reading Pevear and Volonhsky’s Crime and Punishment now. How’s it different from other translations?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lifg posted:

I’m reading Pevear and Volonhsky’s Crime and Punishment now. How’s it different from other translations?

This is a casual article with some examples of different translations vs P+V. The Pevearsion of Russian Literature

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe that’s why all three of my attempts to read War and Peace have never made it past the halfway mark

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I read the p+v of The Idiot and Crime and Punishment and thought they were fine, for what it's worth. The Idiot was my first Dostoevsky and I thought it was incredible. Kinda curious to reread a different translation, especially now that I've read more translated books in general. It's interesting what a backlash their translations have received after their rise in popularity. They really aren't as dreadful as that article makes them seem, even if they are inferior versions.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

has anyone read Jachym Topol? I recently heard of City Sister Silver (original title is Sestra) which sounded really interesting

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Idaholy Roller posted:

I'm a big fan of David Magarshack's, the one Penguin used before switching to David McDuff's in 1992 (which I'm lukewarm toward). It's dirt-cheap secondhand. The Garnett is all right but not my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
A lot of the time if there's a Constance Garnett translation of a book, one of the central complaints is the accuracy of the translation, but there's almost always a modern revised version that fixes any inaccuracies and still keep the advantages of Garnett's versions. Those aren't going to be the versions you find on Project Gutenberg or anything.

apophenium posted:

I read the p+v of The Idiot and Crime and Punishment and thought they were fine, for what it's worth. The Idiot was my first Dostoevsky and I thought it was incredible. Kinda curious to reread a different translation, especially now that I've read more translated books in general. It's interesting what a backlash their translations have received after their rise in popularity. They really aren't as dreadful as that article makes them seem, even if they are inferior versions.

It is worth noting how loving ubiquitous P&V versions were for a bit around when that article dropped and how they were marketed as The Definitive English Version. A 2008-9 version of this conversation might've had people saying don't read anyone but them. Even if Morson was overcorrecting, he was certainly responding to what was a probably not-so-great literary trend.