Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm currently reading and loving Candide, but it's fairly short so I'll be in the market for a new book pretty soon. A Confederacy of Dunces is pretty much my all-time favorite book, so I'm hoping there's other novels out there featuring terrible/naive people in horrible situations while the Just World Fallacy crumbles around them.

Leaning towards Catch-22 but also open to suggestions from actual well-read people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

If you want the opposite of that, read The Notebook by Agota Kristof. It's about good kids having to become terrible to survive in a WWII era Hungarian village.

Sounds fascinating, I'll definitely check it out when I'm in the mood for something darker. I tend to read lighter stuff in the summer and gloomy stuff in the winter, don't wanna kill my mood when I'm on the beach.

Iamblikhos posted:

Are you aware that Voltaire wrote a sequel to Candide? It's worth checking out if you're not reading it already.

I had no idea! Honestly I'm an uncultured barbarian, I wasn't even aware of Candide itself until a friend I workshop stories with told me I needed to read it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oddly enough given the ongoing discussion a lot of Vonnegut's stuff would work for this, at least in the "naive people" and "world crumbles around them" aspects. Start with Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse Five.

Slipped my mind, but I'm already a big Vonnegut fan and have read these. Definitely a different tone, but now that you mention it I can see the similarities. Still, I've only read about half his stuff, so I should probably get to the rest.

api call girl posted:

You basically have to read Catch-22 anyway, so might as well do that inbetween!

Yeah, my secret shame is I started reading it in high school or early college but put it down for reasons I don't remember, probably because I was a lazy teenager. Regardless of whatever else I read I should finish Catch-22 first and make up for my sins.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I read John Cheever's short story "The Swimmer" a while back and it's really stuck with me. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, accessible read about wealth, happiness and suburban life.

Any other authors/stories that combine a deconstruction of suburbia with surrealism?