Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I just realized my current reading list is accidentally comprised entirely of italians (calvino, de maria, ferrante), any more i should add to the list while i'm at it? Eco maybe?

Eco for sure. And Carlo Emilio Gadda’s That Awful Mess on Via Merulana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

The Fatherland movie (Turtledove book where Nazi germany won ww2 and managed to cover up the holocaust) was kinda low budget but Rutger Hauer was good in it, as I recall. I've never had any desire to read any of the books though ew. Might read Man in the High Castle cause I like Dick's short stories.

Fatherland is not a Turtledove book

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Just finished Confessions of a Mask and enjoyed it. Looking for recommendations for further reading. I would like something with a big cast of characters - I liked The War at the End of the World a lot, and Midnight’s Children was also enjoyable. Please be kind and recommend me something sprawling

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Thank you guys, your recommendations are great. I will probably get Mason & Dixon since V. is one of my favorite books ever. I also already have Spring Snow on my Kindle, but want to extend my Mishimas a little bit more. Tale of Genji - I feel rather intimidated by its pedigree. Finally, A Glastonbury Romance - the only recommended title that was completely unknown to me, looks like it could be what I’m looking for.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Heh, my to-read list is really sprawling out thanks to you guys and gals

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Check out Predrag Matvejevic and his Mediterranean: A Cultural Landscape, here’s a review that sums it up nicely https://articles.latimes.com/1999/sep/02/news/cl-5839

Matvejevic and Magris belong to the same cultural circle and were buddies in real life, as far as I know.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I accidentally bought a Perez-Reverte novel thinking it was Vila-Matas :negative:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Reading Krasznahorkai’s Satantango. drat, this book is really something. Estike’s death scene is probably the best dozen or so pages of prose I’ve ever read.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

So I'm running the reading challenge this year and I'm doing something a little different where in addition to thread wildcards (someone in the thread just tells you what book to read) there is a challenge for getting a wildcard from another thread, hopefully to encourage posters to wander around the forum a bit more.

So anyway, since this is my favorite TBB thread, hoping someone can give me a book to read. Just gently caress my poo poo up.

Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai. I just finished it and it blew me out of my shoes.
e: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/may/09/satantango-laszlo-krasznahorkai-review

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Vila-Matas’ Bartleby&Co. fits the bill and is pretty good

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A human heart posted:

Did you guys know that The Interpreters by Wole Soyinka is really good? Please increase your african literature power levels, everyone

Well, I’ll just add this to the list of very intriguing books recommended by you that are unavailable on Kindle :negative:

As far as I can recall, they were a book by Reza Negarestani and a couple of books by that English dude my brain keeps renaming into Cowpiss

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

dos mil seiscientos sesenta y seis, duh

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yes

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Is there even a good communist writer after Gorky?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Any opinions on Diego Marani? His New Finnish Grammar is on sale until next week at my LBS and seems kind of interesting

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I know this is better suited for the recommendation thread, but I trust this thread more.

I've been thinking about novels with a heavy emphasis on music. Thomas Pynchon has plenty of songs, dance numbers and musical passages in Gravity's Rainbow, V. and Inherent Vice, but I really can't think of other novels or authors who write about music well. Any ideas or recommendations?

Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

potentially posted before or already familiar to you, here are nabokov's thoughts on various authors

quick & amusing read

This list is so infuriating, Nabokov would be at home in this thread. Also, formidable mediocrity is a splendid insult

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Human history is merely a Civ scenario where Gandhi never got nukes.

But she did?!?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I hope it’s at least as good as Matt’s Captain America role

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I bought a Saki omnibus because it was $0.44 and I am an idiot with poor impulse control. I also like his little inbred pug face. Where do I start? Here’s the contents:

 Reginald
 Reginald in Russia
 The Chronicles of Clovis
 The Unbearable Bassington
 When William Came
 Beasts and Super-Beasts
 The Toys of Peace and Other Papers
 The Square Egg and Other Sketches
 Uncollected Stories

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Skip to the one where a rich guy is drinking ground-up monkey brains for immortality but now he swings around his mansion late at nights.

Yes, exactly what I’m looking for

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Reading Elfriede Jelinek’s Lust, makes me want to become an asexual Marxist vegan and live as a hermit, but in a good way

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

They’re awarding two Nobels for literature in October LMAO

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Bell Jar is so sad

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Thinking the next thing I read might be something from the longlist...anyone have any takes on anything on the list?

I’ll probably pick up the Vasquez book since I liked two of his previous novels and historical fiction about nineties Colombia sounds like it could be interesting

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Svetlana Alexievich is good, but I don’t know how much more human misery I can take after a few hundred pages. It’s mostly stuff like this:

quote:

We die how we lived… I even go to church and wear a little cross, but there has never been any joy in my life, and there isn’t any now. I never got any happiness. And now even praying won’t help. I just hope that I get to die soon… I hope the heavenly kingdom hurries up and comes, I’m sick of waiting. Just like Sashka… He’s in the graveyard now, resting. [She crosses herself.]

e: for context, Sashka doused himself in acetone, set it on fire and burned to death

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 29, 2019

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A man who reads about Eastern Europe and is not prepared for incomparable human misery

Dude, I live in Eastern Europe

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

That's what I'm talking about! What's that from?

Secondhand time

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I read an Ian McEwan book in which a very wealthy neurosurgeon learns the working class exist when he is attacked by Cockney-speaking thugs. They later invade his home and he saves his family from certain doom by diagnosing one of them with Lou Gehrig’s disease. I wish I was making this up

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Somewhat interestingly, the Yugoslav communist nomenclature also supported abstract expressionism and other abstract leanings in art. Their rationale was they would rather have the artists experiment with abstract forms than tackle real social issues such as lack of adequate housing, unavailability of consumer goods, dormant nationalisms and so on.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice. "My father and the others in the squad stood looking over at the lake in the old town," the ex-Mesa army chief says. "In front of them stood a bunch of white-robed men, the commander of the unit behind them. There was this large, white horse, that's how tall they were. The commander of the unit next to them sat and did not look at them."

But Buendía had seen the soldiers, he could remember. The commander would call over his son, who would answer, and then, with ease, the three would step out at the other end with their wands drawn. After a few minutes of waiting, he would lead them ashore to their horses. "He'd do it again," Buendía recounts, a little later.

From then on, Buendía says, he had little choice but to stand his ground. "There was a certain dignity about it to do something that was going to be done very quickly. I had to make the stand."

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Don’t mention the coup

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The coup was clearly staged to result in death, he probably didn't think it would actually work, which is why so much preparation went into the suicide. In any case even his explicit motivations for the coup were more complicated than that, he saw the postwar ideology of "passive, victimised Japanese people" as a ploy by the Americans to treat Japan as their colony, and the language of the coup was mostly directed against that.

Real Japanese fascism exists but it's invariably strongly sinophobic or talks about killing all zainichi Koreans and things like that. I've read a lot of Mishima, including some of the untranslated "theory" stuff and it never strikes that tone, as far as I'm aware. The worst it gets is when he says things like how the inherent unity of Japanese culture prevents things like racial frictions from occurring and that the US is a false model for examining that sort of thing in the context of Japan. Japanese fascists also generally do not like Mishima and don't talk about him. Contemporary Japanese fascists are also usually pro-American.

Yeah, that suicide was a hot way to die, especially for someone with a Saint Sebastian fetish, I agree completely on the entire sexual undertones being more important than nationalism front. BTW the Paul Schrader film is super cool and Philip Glass composed the soundtrack. I really like Mishima’s writing and I think the film really does him justice, especially Ken Ogata’s titular performance.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Do you read Serbian?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Some very good stuff is or was very popular, what are you even talking about?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

derp posted:

Like what?

Nabokov sold a ton of books, so did Umberto Eco, Norman Mailer, Fitzgerald... Camus and Sartre were superstars in their time. Earlier than that, you had Tolstoy, Dickens, Zola and many others who were good writers and very popular.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Reading his Frost rn and it’s awesome. Just look at this opening:

quote:

A medical internship consists of more than spectating at complicated bowel operations, cutting open stomach linings, bracketing off lungs, and sawing off feet; and it doesn't just consist of thumbing closed the eyes of the dead, and hauling babies out into the world either. An internship is not just tossing limbs and parts of limbs over your shoulder into an enamel bucket. Nor does it just consist of trotting along behind the registrar and the assistant and the assistant's assistant, a sort of tail-end Charlie. Nor can an internship be only the putting out of false information; it isn't just saying: "The pus will dissolve in your bloodstream, and you'll soon be restored to perfect health." Or a hundred other such lies. Not just: "It'll get better"—when nothing will. An internship isn't just an academy of scissors and thread, of tying off and pulling through. An internship extends to circumstances and possibilities that have nothing to do with the flesh. My mission to observe the painter Strauch compels me to think about precisely such non-flesh-related circumstances and issues.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I always found Faygo’s Homer accurate, easy to follow and a little bit dry. I must admit I enjoy Chapman’s translation the most, although it takes a bit more concentration and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

By modern I just meant like not classical greek stuff but whatever I started reading the Pamuk I found in a charity shop the other day but thanks for the suggestions :mrgw:

All Greeks are Turks anyway