Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Stravinsky posted:

"Man reading good books means I can only talk about them in a purely academic fashion," said the idiot who has not moved on since public school.

Engaging the text actually owns tho, and it is easy and everyone can do it, and then you get to enjoy your favorite faustian book three times

enjoy the devil book on the surface

enjoy thinking about what the devil book meant to your personally

and then discuss the matter with your close friends and share your perspectives/ideas

what would this world be if all you ever talked about was wasn't it cool when faust made that bargain, and then he got everything he asked for...or did he!!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Since we are talkin' about beginner's literature, any of you get to do All the King's Men?

I read that my sophomore year in high school and really liked the story and characters, but ended up revisiting it as a young adult and it completely blew me away. The prose is absolute poetry, the setting is great, the characters just keep getting more fleshed out the older and more experienced I become, the themes more relatable. It is not a very thematically complicated book and it doesn't really gently caress around with any post modern shenanigans, but as a work of art to communicate ideas and emotions I think it is really good.

In fact I want to start a thread on it this summer because it's time to pick it up again, and this thread has inspired me, to do so, to talk about the book in the book barn. It will get five posts but that is okay.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
lmao, to invoke the Pretentious word, and then play House of Leaves apologetic

I have read my share of literature and BLUE TEXT HOUSE of leaves, though I enjoyed it, has got to be one of the most needlessly obfuscating modern novels out there

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
The real lesson here is Please Don't Accuse Things of Being Pretentious Unless You Have an Extremely Good Reason for Doing So