Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Iamblikhos posted:

many 20th century poets tried, often with hilariously lovely results (see under 'murray, les' and 'olson, charles')

in fact, "no modern epic poem is good" was the original "i liked them before they were mainstream", going all the way back at least to the late 18th century

This is a long while ago, but if you can read Norwegian, 'Terje Vigen' by Henrik Ibsen is probably the best epic poem I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It is amazing.

gently caress, Norwegian literature has some really strong points (or, had before we got stuck in a weird navel-gazing literary paradigm). Basically anything by our very own nazi Knut Hamsun is fantastic, and he wrote about almost everything over the course of his career. Then there's also excellent lyrical poets like Nordahl Grieg or Wildenwey. Sigrid Undset is also good, and was one of the first really great female authors to receive widespread acclaim under her own name.

post your favourite local literary tradition here yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Read Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.

Then pop some acid and read it again, it'll make so much more sense

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Also he debunks a lot of contemporary and even later philosophy in an off-hand kind of way. Like, logical positivism? Ain't no thang. Essentialism? Dead and buried. It's one of my favourite books, because he somehow manages to completely undermine so many people's life's works in a fairly short and sweet book which isn't even structured like a normal loving text and is full of slogans.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you have no soul

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yo Hieronymous, whatever happened to that Pride and Prejudice readalong? I loved that thread dude

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Reading Victor Hugo

first twenty-odd pages of the novel is just a list of how obscenely wealthy the English nobility is, I love it

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Has anybody read any of the "My Struggle" series by Karl Ove Knausgård? Been reading a bit about them and it seems right up my alley.

It's very modern, in the sense that it's a guy doing a fairly well-written tell-all about his life and the life of those closest to him. None of those lives are very special, for the most part, being regular middle-class types. Being a tell-all, it's enormous.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The sonnets are p. mediocre, though, there's much better poetry available in english

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hamsun is great, though, I am reading his collected novels right now and they own bones

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I particularly admire his first sentences. It is entirely possible that nobody in the history of literature has made as good first sentences to their novels as Hamsun. They're not even particularly fancy most of the time, they just fit the book perfectly. Even in his shittier novels (Redaktør Lynge, in particular) the first sentence is absolute gold. Norway certainly has no other novelist that can compete - possibly Ibsen with his plays, or someone's poetry, but the only novelist that I can think of that I'd rate anywhere close to him is Undset, though I've only read Kristin Lavransdatter by her. And Hamsun is in a whole other league.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

It is literally just Hamsun and a guy who wrote second-rate crime stories, sorry to disappoint

that guy who wrote those stories was minister of the police in the original quisling regime, though, so it has some historical interest

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i sometimes want to learn chinese so i can read mao and cao cao's poetry

for some reason the notion of these brutal warlords writing beautiful poetry strikes a chord in me

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mycophobia posted:

Wittgenstein's later work realllllllly could've used some editing.

I've been re-reading Philosophical Investigations and On Certainty all day for a research paper and I feel physically exhausted.

the problem with editing wittgenstein is you can't really do it, it's as much poetry as it is actual prose and there's a ton of meaning that can be teased out just from the mental state he puts you in

i mean, imagine you're wittgenstein's editor, what are you going to do? not publish what he wants published?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

heidegger makes up his own language and terms which he proceeds to use competently

that problem isn't the use, it's that he means something very particular by every one of his terms (and sometimes those terms have other, more popular meanings) and you have to really know exactly what he means for it to work, and he has a bad habit of stating what he means once in the passing and then just moving on

gently caress heidegger, but at least he's better than hegel

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Stravinsky posted:

Do you have any recs on some modern Russian poets (who have translations in English because I can't read Russian :languagefail:)

vladimir sorokin is the best i know that's been translated (though if he's been translated to english i don't know). i think pelevin has also written some poetry.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Smoking Crow posted:

I think that the Book of John has a good opening line

for real, it's the best line in the bible, and the bible has some good lines

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Smoking Crow posted:

I have read them, and I like them. I was just wondering what you think because he gets paired with Robert Frost for banality

he's a premodernist poet he's not supposed to be profound

gently caress, at least he's less pointlessly verbose than shakespeare's poetry

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you know who i really like in anglophone poetry? rudyard kipling

best anglophone poet imo, horrifying racism and all

come at me

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

CestMoi posted:

Shakespeare's poetry is good, actually.

a popular stance, and one i will not fault you for holding

but not, i am afraid, a correct stance

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ok he's a premodernist not literally trying to capture he essence of divinity through his poems, i'll grant you a certain measure of profoundness when you aim for that

but even that is pretty much borrowed profoundness as he tries to make poetic sense of a ton of jumbled theological dogma, i am legit uncertain if i accept that the depth of virgil's poetry (at least in divina comedia, haven't read anything else) stems from the poetic form he uses or if it's just a function of the subject matter

also, chinese poets etc from this period may very well be profound, i wouldn't know, so i'm limiting myself specifically to the western tradition here

vilain, skallagrimson, shakespeare, homer, banalities abroad from the lot of them

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Boatswain posted:

You are confusing Virgil the Roman poet with Dante the Italian (actually Florentine) poet.

& what do you mean with banalities? What is more banal than Kipling's If—?

oh my how embarassing yes of course

kipling is also a premodernist poet so banality is expected and, indeed, applaudable

End Of Worlds posted:

i really need to know what level of irony you're operating on before i can reply to this post

i'm being mostly ironic, but with a kernel of sincerity. the virgil thing was an honest mistake born from posting too late in the night, though, gonna cop to that

like, don't get me wrong, i really like poetry, but i think a lot of people approach the classics in a silly way, looking for grand truths where someone really just wanted to express some concept in a good way through text and rhythm (that's the sincere part). also i don't like shakespeare's poetry, which i think is much weaker than his plays. so, when someone disses Burns for being "banal" it's just that his style is more simple than that of some of the other greats - he does an excellent job of writing about e.g. love in a captivating way

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no i'm going for the point that poetry is far too often taken as a "serious" art form and judged by those measures, i.e. how it approaches the sublime or whatever, rather than what it very often is, which is a way of effectively and attractively expressing some aspect of the human condition. shakespeare, since i seem obsessed with him these days, is a particular victim of this attitude - especially his plays, which are often positively bawdy, are taken by many (in my cultural sphere) as "high art" in the same vein as your great classical composers or painters (arguably this is even a Thing in painting, with certain of the flemish primitives being prime examples, but y'know). so the objection of banality as a reason not to appreciate art is not valid, because a ton of great art is banal as all hell

poetry-as-high-art is another Thing entirely. homer's writing, for example, isn't very profound - it's basically a way of recounting a story, which it is really good at. it is also a very valuable insight into the mindset of his/their culture, which is also quite fascinating. the point being that we have these weird criteria where anything good becomes deeply meaningful, and where the "profoundness" of a work is a direct measure of its value as a work of art. ionnescu et al pretty much demonstrated why this is false imo, but the attitudes still remain.

the bar being set at modernity is completely arbitrary, that part was mostly polemic

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 30, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gonna cement my dunce reputation itt by admitting that i don't get it

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no, i got that, i don't get the gretzky thing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yo ulvir, you a Solstad man? I'm trying to decide whether to pursue a thorough reading of his stuff or Fløgstad's next. Got anything in particular to recommend? I've read some of the more famous novels of both guys (re: Solstad I've read, type, Irr! Grønt!, T. Singer and Gymnaslærer Pedersens Beretning, but none of the newer books and nothing really obscure) - I'm currently tending towards Fløgstad, but if you have any must-reads from Solstad I'm all ears.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bogomilism bestism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is garcia marqez worth reading beyond hundred years of solitude and love in the time of cholera

if so, what's good

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Smoking Crow posted:

That's actually what it is

Except in Russia where it refers to uncynical post-Soviet poets

how do you make a russian "uncynical"

is that even, like, biologically possible

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Crime and Punishment was pretty uncynical

was it, though

i mean, i guess it depends on your perspectives on cynicism, but the only "uncynical" part of Crime and Punishment, to me, is the role of religion as a redeeming force. everything secular in that book which is not directly Christly is cynical af - in a sense, the book's big Thing is shooting down what amounts to a doctrine of individual human agency

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tangentially to this, i would love to read some literary analysis of paul's letters to various congregations. i noticed a real difference in tone between romans and first corinthians, for instance - does anyone know of any decent scolarship on this?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr. Squishy posted:

The, uh, Moomins lady? She wrote any stuff that's not about trolls?

ya she was actually a fairly influential social commentator and journalist/political cartoonist at the time

i don't know if she wrote any novels, but the original moomin books are actually fairly clever+multilayered imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i like arto paasilinna, who is a very witty if somewhat formulaic observer of contemporary mentality and society

ras het, have you got thoughts on where he fits into the finnish literary tradition/where he "comes from"? it'd be interesting to see if he resembles some of the more, uh, heavy types

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Burning Rain posted:

His 'erotic farce' Kymmenen riivinrautaa (Ten Grates, I guess) was so boring I want to give the book to an enemy. just need to find one.

have you read it and are the other ones similar?

no, but those of his books that I have read are very similar to each other, those books being year of the hare, collective suicide and the senile surveyor, all of which have been translated into norwegian so they're probably relatively successful examples of his work

salama has been translated into norwegian with his midsummer dance, is that any good?

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 24, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Legit can we agree Mishima has the best death of any author pretty much ever

it was a good death

for a fascist to have

in a failed coup

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Stravinsky posted:

ryu murakami (he's not the one your thinking of)
kenzaburo oe
osuma dazai's fairytail book is not depressing compared to his other works
kobe abe
ozuma dazai
Witold Gombrowicz
checkov
kafka

some of these recommendations do not seem to match the bill of "not overly grim and pessimistic" imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel, I think your view on suicide as a sort of redemptive act is underestimating the primacy of the aesthetic in fascist ideology. Now, I have not read enough Mishima to be able to make an argument from his literature, but I do know my fascism pretty well, and the whole Thing in fascism is violence and destruction as a good in and of itself, sublimating the self into a greater ideal Whole. The fascist's suicide is both an act of violence against perceived common decency and against himself - and, in Mishima's case, a deeply reactionary statement. It's the final elimination of the self in service to something that does not make sense, and whose very absurdity is its main strength.

So the suicide is not an act of personal development, it's an act of individual annihilation. Faced with final and inevitable failure in his grand plan, Mishima-the-fascist has decided that the only way to proceed is through victory or death - really, the attempted coup was not a serious attempt at a coup, it was a final Act before the utter destruction of the individual. When there is no mass movement to serve, the fascist's grand idea can only be embodied in suicide.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would agree, but I think the thing from Mishima's writing is the ever-present idea of death as an element of rebirth both in a spiritual and political sense. Obviously Mishima knew his coup would fail, but I think his suicide was not meant for him to be his own absolute annihilation in the face of knowing his philosophy was untenable.

I think it was meant to be a grand declaration of loyalty to the idea. Kind of like saying "I die in the name of a Japan reborn" more than "The movement is dead, I am meaningless, and so I die"

Well, I think it's both, is my point. When there is no collective to submerge in, tradition and death are the only alternatives remaining, and Mishima unified them in a very, uh, beautiful/repulsive way

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Antwan3K posted:

Brave New World is one of the worst novels of all time

let me introduce you to this lady called ayn rand

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's not available in my city :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why do you live in a sundown town

i live in norway it's probably coming here once it's been translated. atm there's one shop in oslo that's got it, and i'm not going to oslo to buy a book

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its a book, get the e-version drat

i keep breaking my e-readers