Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I thought the Portrait of the Artist was bland and uninteresting and that's why I haven't read Ulysses yet, even though I will someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

ulvir posted:

finally found a translation of Voyage au bout de la nuit in my native tongue today

I can't see how it would be that hard to find - I remember seeing it in every bookstore in Oslo when I first moved there ten years ago. Try getting your hands on Mort à crédit translated by Mikkel Tin.

Foul Fowl posted:

william faulkner. you'll immediately see the huge influence he's had on mccarthy. he's also unbelievably difficult to read in some of his books, so i would recommend you start with Light in August or As I Lay Dying, they're relatively accessible.

I agree with this, but I definitely recommend As I Lay Dying as the first foray. Light in August is one of them Nobel prize-novels: grand in scope, but more conventional and lacking in nerve and vitality.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I was surprised that Handke won, but then I realized that his alleged support of Slobodan Milošević was a debate that only raged in Norway.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
What does this thread recommend re: horror? I think the genre got great potential but I'm always disappointed in what I read. The only exception in recent years is the terrific Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
The Haunting of Hill House? It was pretty good I guess.

Vogler fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 15, 2020

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I have read plenty of Ligotti and I do like him much better than Lovecraft. Boy do I wish that I could feel the same as Houellebecq feels when he reads Lovecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I just finished Stella Maris. I liked it, but it's impossible to read the dialogue of a 20 year old female mental patient in something other than Cormac McCarthy's voice. That's not necessary a problem, but here's what I don't like: She's supposed to be this exceptional genius, and she's used as a mouthpiece for McCarthy's own opinions.