Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love crime films and novels but I'd really like to read some of the best classics of the genre. I'm currently reading Hamett's Red Harvest, can anyone recommend some good classic Noir or any sort of crime/mystery novels that aren't airport fiction level garbage?

yes, with the understanding that "classics" doesn't mean "have much literary merit" in this particular genre

other good hammetts:
the thin man
the glass key
the maltese falcon
that one collection of continental op short stories

raymond chandlers that are good:
the big sleep
farewell my lovely
the long goodbye

frederick nebel wrote a ton of short stories for black mask
erle stanley gardner wrote a ton period but the most "noiry" stuff that isn't like perry mason are his lester leith stories of which there are like 70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

poisonpill posted:

I'd throw Moby Dick on here (Norton Critical ed. will help a lot), but mainly just so this isn't an empty-quote. This is the short list, doesn't make sense to read more until you've started here.

I prefer the clickhole edition tbh
http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/time-i-spent-commercial-whaling-ship-totally-chang-768

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mercrom posted:

Can you recommend any particular book? I'm not interested in satire.

Just to be clear here, you are looking for a book which criticizes particular concepts but in no way alludes to or heavily references these concepts as they occur in the actual lived world.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

blue squares posted:

Are you guys talking about the Jeremy Benthem/John Stuart Mill utilitarianism? Because I don't see how brave new world? It's been a decade since I read the book but I don't see how that applies.

Also the requester mentioned utilitarianism in the same breath as nihilism so I'm assuming it's a metonym for a bunch of other "dehumanizing" ethics, hence the Dostoevsky and Ursula K. Le Guin.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

Son of a bitch

זה אני אוסטין

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Pretend I transcribed every time DFW tried to write "in dialect" in Infinite Jest.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Dave Eggers posted:

We’re interested in epic writerly ambition. We’re fascinated with what can be made by a person with enough time and focus and caffeine and, in Wallace’s case, chewing tobacco. If we are drawn to Infinite Jest, we’re also drawn to the Magnetic Fields’ 69 Songs, for which Stephin Merritt wrote that many songs, all of them about love, in about two years. And we’re drawn to the 10,000 paintings of folk artist Howard Finster. Or the work of Sufjan Stevens, who is on a mission to create an album about each state in the union. He’s currently at State No 2, but if he finishes that, it will approach what Wallace did with the book in your hands.

lmao

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Also every time he writes a section or digression about some technical matter in that condescending "aww shucks, don't worry about all of the gory details, but here's how it is" tone and yet manages to get key details astoundingly wrong.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

V. Illych L. posted:

ok he's a premodernist not literally trying to capture he essence of divinity through his poems, i'll grant you a certain measure of profoundness when you aim for that

but even that is pretty much borrowed profoundness as he tries to make poetic sense of a ton of jumbled theological dogma, i am legit uncertain if i accept that the depth of virgil's poetry (at least in divina comedia, haven't read anything else) stems from the poetic form he uses or if it's just a function of the subject matter

also, chinese poets etc from this period may very well be profound, i wouldn't know, so i'm limiting myself specifically to the western tradition here

vilain, skallagrimson, shakespeare, homer, banalities abroad from the lot of them

Everybody is laughing at you

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Modernism seems like an odd choice to place this barrier since many imagists were allowed to both write and publish as they shaped Modernism as a movement, rather than being lined up and shot.

Or is the simile you're going for here that pre-modern poetry is like of a bunch of interchangeable portraits of madonna and child and it is only after the rise of secularism that poetry is permitted new subjects and techniques.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

V. Illych L. posted:

no i'm going for the point that poetry is far too often taken as a "serious" art form and judged by those measures, i.e. how it approaches the sublime or whatever, rather than what it very often is, which is a way of effectively and attractively expressing some aspect of the human condition. shakespeare, since i seem obsessed with him these days, is a particular victim of this attitude - especially his plays, which are often positively bawdy, are taken by many (in my cultural sphere) as "high art" in the same vein as your great classical composers or painters (arguably this is even a Thing in painting, with certain of the flemish primitives being prime examples, but y'know). so the objection of banality as a reason not to appreciate art is not valid, because a ton of great art is banal as all hell

poetry-as-high-art is another Thing entirely. homer's writing, for example, isn't very profound - it's basically a way of recounting a story, which it is really good at. it is also a very valuable insight into the mindset of his/their culture, which is also quite fascinating. the point being that we have these weird criteria where anything good becomes deeply meaningful, and where the "profoundness" of a work is a direct measure of its value as a work of art. ionnescu et al pretty much demonstrated why this is false imo, but the attitudes still remain.

the bar being set at modernity is completely arbitrary, that part was mostly polemic

understood, carry on

Wayne Gretzky posted:

See, what I'm going to do, right, is communicate via text, except in this special way that only certain people will get. I don't want to just like... you know, type it out as if we were speaking, or tell you a story, or whatever because like... I just have this special like... mind-space, right, or mind-cloud, like ok picture a regular mind, and then picture one that's slightly bigger and better, but kind of like tragic? Anyway, its good to type stupid poo poo like a fag. In short sentences. Recapitulating each unparsable moment. Waves crash on a crying Mexican woman. Corrito guandalte she cries to the sun. Mechanical bird

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

AYC posted:

All literature is subjective and there are no good or bad writers :mmmhmm:

Since G-d is by definition Goodness and the Qur'an is the unaltered words of the Divine transmitted through the archangel Gabriel I think you're in the wrong here buddy.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 14, 2015

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

End Of Worlds posted:

Do y'all legit think people won't still be reading King in, like, 100 years? Everything he's ever written (It and The Stand included, sorry man) is absolute pulpy trash at best, but you'd be hard-pressed to argue that it's worse than Lovecraft's godawful prose, and he's available in Library of America, Penguin Classics, and loving Norton Annotated editions. King's not Poe and he's sure as poo poo not Faulkner but i really wouldn't bet against him being a staple of horror fic for the next century or so

Nobody will be read in 100 years due to the elimination of all prerevolutionary literature as products of a false class consciousness created in times of division.

But yes I think King will be read in similar ways that A.C. Doyle and H.G. Wells and H.P. Lovecraft and G.K. Chesterton and E.W. Hornung and other Victorian/early 20th century genre writers are read.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Smoking Crow posted:

I like danse macabre and on writing

not his one about the red sox though that one sucks

I'm sorry the GuP movie was delayed until the fall.

Yes, On Writing is pedagogically useful which I think is one of the best things you can say about books in that niche.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the tain

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mr. Squishy posted:

Lars von Trier had a show?

yes it was called The Kingdom and was pretty good

and then Stephen King got his mitts on the American remake and added Civil War ghosts and serial killers and a plot where a writer painter is incapacitated by a hit and run accident but must recover his muse while investigating spooky goings on

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How many wise old black women did he add

the wise old woman was a) white and b) in the source material

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Goon favorite Douglas Hofstadter has quite a few essays on this subject. And yet they are mostly bad! What a world in which we live.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

I've been meaning to get Ton Beau de Marot is it not good?

I actually like Ton Beau de Marot, and I think about it a lot when I'm trying to do translation/language learning. That being said: It's deeply personal (although it's still more GEB than it is I Am A Strange Loop), but also a little disappointingly shallow. There are also long bits that drag if you've read any other works on translation, and some that just plain drag. For instance, one of the central conceits is presenting entire text of many [over 70] translations of Marot's A une Damoyselle Malade, including a number of his own iterations, which is sort of redundant and numbing after a while. For all of his eye to detail the structure of the book is also a little slapdash. Hofstadter also has that sort of stuck in amber quality that a lot of 70s and 80s academics have that's not quite intellectual conservatism but is still little annoying if you are trying to be au courant with the academic thinking about the subject. There's also a lot of form over function arguments that aren't very compelling (he thinks that not preserving rhyme schemes in translation is a bigger sin than not preserving word choice, and makes periodic digs at Nabokov for making fun of verse translations).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
An important note to my criticism is that I read it like 10 years ago and I was a little poo poo then and am probably still a little poo poo now.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

Ahh ok, I've got very little background in translation, other than learning languages and recently trying to translate some Rimbaud, just to get a feel for it, so seems like it'd be an okay book to start on? I'd love to read your recommendations for books on translation theory etc, as it's something I'm really interested in despite knowing nothing about it.

I wouldn't think of it as a starter book, since it is somewhat divorced from the rest of the academy (it's more or less a polymath doing his own thing as opposed to like a summative work of scholarship, I guess). I'd say see if you have fun with it and then keep going based on that.

I know Venuti gets read a lot, I think he published couple of collections of essays recently.

I'm trying to remember some of the other things I've enjoyed (based on half-remembered college linguistics/philosophy of language courses). I remember an exercise that was based on the multiplicity of translations for the Tao Te Ching, (like this website has over a hundred: http://www.bopsecrets.org/gateway/passages/tao-te-ching.htm) but unfortunately I can't find my notes anywhere. We read a lot of Adorno and Habermas and Derrida if that helps.

Oh I did somewhat recently talk with the dudes who have been doing sort of historical analysis/critical theory stuff with sets of translations. Like the idea is you can look at linguistic shifts in well-translated works (in this example it's Othello: http://ivi.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/07/22/1473871613495845.full.pdf) and see really cool patterns.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

UnoriginalMind posted:

it sure is one of the best things about reading.

actually the best thing about reading is finding out who the murderer is before the detective states who the murderer is.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

Also in a book which features a grammatical prescriptivist and her stupid genius son you would think someone might use the word ambivalent correctly.

hai was 100% not kidding about how bad dfw's thoughts on prescriptivism are:
http://wilson.med.harvard.edu/nb204/AuthorityAndAmericanUsage.pdf

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Pynchon Memory Alpha is the wiki for all canon Pynchon Extended Universe information, Pynchon Memory Beta is for non-canon appearances (Simpson's voiceover, Inherent Vice Cinematic Universe, &c.).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

End Of Worlds posted:

It's so astonishingly nonsensical that I think it goes full circle and becomes genius. It's like making an FPS based on Leaves of Grass.

I don't know, it would be refreshing to play an fps where how great dicks are is text rather than subtext.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The Lion King 1 1/2

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
everybody unironically needs to read the bible. you don't have to be harold loving bloom to think this

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
people remember that in one an orangutans was the murderer, but in many other poe stories non-orangutans did the crime. for instance in one the narrator did the murder.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
montresor is covered by a narrator-murderer.

plus there is no textual evidence that he is not a cat or ape.

in marie rogêt the murderer is poe, murdering my precious time on this earth because they don't even catch the dang murderer in the story!!!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
fantômas:raffles:holmes::id:ego:superego

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yes what a blunder. one terrible american horror writer who gets a pass for being "formative" was from the mid 19th century, one was from the early 20th.

CestMoi posted:

I haven't actually read very much Poe because the things I read were bad but I might read his detective stuff. How does it compare to master of the genre and achiever of the sublime, G. K. Chesterton?

the dupin short stories are all really short and there's only three of them

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 6, 2015

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Belgian posted:

I'm almost through Illuminatus! and it's great. Other peoples' thought on it/ is it considered Real Literature?

If there's one criticism I have is that switching perspective right before a big reveal gets old after a while.
it is most certainly not "real" literature.

here is what i said about it:

Tree Goat posted:

i thought the illuminatus trilogy was really fun and cool when i was a) a teen and b) the internet was nascent enough that it hadn't run absolutely everything about that book into the ground c) the twin towers still stood, god bless america

that being said for all of its purported nonlinearity and complexity it is pretty straightforward to just plow through so you could gamble on it without hurting your figures in your ppd logging app

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure how much we can equate non-fiction with Literature but read Ta-Nehisi Coates new book unless you are a worthless fucker

i read this as tao lin and was going to beat you up in the weight room in book prison

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i saw a ta and I blacked out, duh

e: oh in response to your first question he's a piece of poo poo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

End Of Worlds posted:

did this really happen

yes

he also did it to gawker and it was funnier there

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Also the strong samizdat tradition.

Unofficial light novel translations from Japanese are quite common, so you just need to trick some people on IRC that they are going to make a Mishima anime and you should be good to go.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem is that fan translators are often artless. They are so obsessed with being literal that they will turn it into a barely comprehensible mess.

this is according to keikaku

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The door section of Name of the Rose is specifically called out as a "test" to the reader in like the forward since it is a several dozen page semiotics parlor trick, that is probably what is being referenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
they are both good imo, dead souls i think is a little more "even" than m&m

i recommend oblomov also because the protagonist reflects the hikikomori lifestyle that we all should treasure