Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

A human heart posted:

even if the chapter was just about ropes, that still sounds interesting because ropes were important in the days of sailing ships. i'm starting to think these readers don't actually like reading!

rope is still important

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Lit thread, which literary authors do you find the funniest?

charles portis

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Charles Portis' birthday was a couple days ago, everyone please read Masters of Atlantis

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
The supreme moment in a Columbo episode is when he eats chili

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Seven Samurai Swept Away in a River by Jung Young Moon is really funny. I wish I could travel somewhere with him

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Charles Portis died. Read his books

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Now if you're reading the book on a telephone you will never in a trillion years experience the book. You'll think you have experienced it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness that you think you've read a book on your loving telephone. Get real.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I recently read Geoffrey Household's Rogue Male, which on the surface is a pulpy pursuit/escape novel, but ends up having some pretty cool things going on with the protagonist stripping away layers of his humanity in order to survive. Plus there was a quote from the Times on the cover so it counts as real literature.

Living in a burrow like a rodent is prime real literature material

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Currently getting started on the path to adulthood with The Iliad (the prose version which I hope doesn’t somehow disqualify me).

is it the war nerd iliad?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Bandiet posted:

As long as we're on literary non-fiction, what's some good poetic nature writing? Something like Eugène Marais or J.A. Baker.

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek if you haven't read it. She quotes a lot from Jean-Henri Fabre and while idk if I would call him poetic his insect books are very cool too.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's weird that people ITT are talking about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

blue squares posted:

Any recommendations?

Puckoon

Stanley Elkin

Richard Brautigan

Charles Portis ofc