Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Anyone into Ottessa Moshfegh? I found her work through a short story on The Paris Review podcast and got sucked in from there. I read My Year of Rest and Relaxation this time last year--now painfully relevant--and Eileen is next up on my list. She's a huge fan of Gary Lutz; I think that's in large part where the grotesqueness, and the invention of new ways of thinking/writing/narrating in order to escape the disgusting world, comes from. A choice quote from an interview with her in Harper's Bazaar:

quote:

I'm a snob when it comes to reading. It's very depressing to read lovely books. And worse are books that don't know that they're lovely—they're praised and awarded and puffed up. They lower the standard for excellence for us all. It's terrorism. Not that everything has to be a masterpiece—that's impossible. I like Anne Tyler—I read almost all her novels within a few months last year after I stumbled across two of her early novels, A Slipping Down Life and Earthly Possessions. Those were fantastic and so different. I fell in love. I made a little study of her development and discovered something therapeutic in her work. She writes really banal, domestic novels and I feel safe in her hands. She's not going to try to wow me. That's what I hate the most when I read. A lot of people confuse desperation and bloated ego for genius. It's embarrassing to read. I can kind of sense those books in a physical way. I stay away from them in the bookstore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

So not only is everyone in this thread intimately acquainted with Yukio Mishima, but he was also a big fascist??? drat :(

I read Confessions of a Mask solely because of my Saint Sebastian obsession (which led me down some other deep rabbit holes, including back issues of the surrealist magazine Minotaure and The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí, which is his autobiography but might as well be literature by the flagrancy of his inventions). I had never heard of him in any context up to that point.

Can't I just fetishize male armpits and develop a choking shame about my own perverse sexuality in peace, without keeping company with nationalists??

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Get real, I'll read any author unless I get too nauseated by their viewpoint to physically continue (e.g., Pentti Linkola). I'm just surprised that TBB namechecks him as the fascist author while I know him as the "jerk off to my adolescent neighbor doing chin-ups" author lol.

If anything, his ethnonationalism casts a whole new light on his fetishization of the perfect male Japanese form! All those dudes love the Mannerbund, womanhood is too inherently soft/corrupted/corrupting to act as a true object of eros

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"keeping company"
I don't think it's untrue that you're "keeping company" with an author when you read their works, although certainly not in the way you would be if you had dinner with them or had a written correspondence. You're in the company of their ideas and the products of their mind. You're having an aesthetic reaction to the words placed on the page by them. That's not inherently endorsement, but it's also not nothing - it's a relationship!

I would certainly recommend Confessions of a Mask to anyone; it was one of the best books I read that year. I don't choose which books I read because of the viewpoints or political attitudes of their authors. I was just surprised that 1) other people had heard of him at all and 2) he had such a crazy personal history and eventual death.

About Faulkner, I've never read him but I have read the short stories of Flannery O'Connor. Boy, was that a fun and appropriate choice I brought to read on break from working the polls alongside Fox-brained racists.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks for the Wayne Booth rec, PeterWeller. It'll be interesting to see its relationship with Sontag's Against Interpretation, which I was way into at the same time as my Saint Sebastian fixation.

Idaholy Roller posted:

books by LGBT people
Alison Bechdel has two famous comic memoirs that reference classic literature and psychoanalysis to deal with her parental relationships. Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms is beautiful. Anything by Virginia Woolf. Alexander Chee. Willa Cather, believe it or not (I love My Ántonia). I've heard a lot of buzz about Real Life by Brandon Taylor. Jeanette Winterson, if you like that sort of thing. And another all-time classic, Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle!

Weirdly, most of the books on my to-read list that deal with LGBT topics are nonfiction--memoirs and essay compilations and things.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

ulvir posted:

i’m reading Levi’s periodic table, and it’s really good
Oh, gently caress yeah. One of my top three memoirs (?) of all time. The conceit of the book is brilliant, and I'm enchanted by his authorial voice. It holds its worldly curiosity and its skillfully controlled yet free and inventive style in common with Oliver Sacks, another great memoirist. I also love the couple atmospheric fictional stories interspersed throughout the chapters, e.g. "Mercury." Saul Bellow said, "There is nothing superfluous here; everything this book contains is essential." ya

Have you read If This Is A Man? Equally good, heartbreaking.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sputnik Sweetheart
It was a little precious for me, even if you've liked other Murakami, but don't take that as a discouragement.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Just finished Kim Scott's Taboo as part of my "reading writers of color 2021" challenge. Wow, unbelievable! I love when a book can make you smell the dust and the waterholes of its natural settings. Using that sudden evocation of nature as a device to show when the Noongar group was fleetingly/stumblingly getting back in touch with their ancestry, and when nature was the only true thing left behind for them to understand their great loss, was really effective too.

But I think the most remarkable part was how the passing-on of "the old language" and the old people sharing words and expressions with the young people was the majority of their connection with each other, but the author used almost no actual Noongar words, just wrote "He said the old word for xyz." Felt like there was something being kept secret and passed along, something that if it were written and seen by outsiders would be diminished. In the afterword, Scott writes "There is little literal Noongar language in Taboo. I would have it speak to a wider audience and do more than posture difference." His mind...................

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

smug n stuff posted:

I’m most interested in the characterization of the prose as bland, though. I’m wondering if you’ve read any of Ishiguro’s other books, and how you’d compare the prose of Klara if so—critics (both those who like the books and those who don’t) often describe the prose in pretty much all of his books as “flat,” and I have a hard time discerning whether that’s a euphemism for boring, or whether they intend it to be a value-free descriptor.

... I think the excerpt is fairly typical of the writing throughout. Now, obviously taste is taste, but I don’t find that particularly bland or boring writing - I'm curious what others think. I also don’t find it too terribly different, stylistically, from the other Ishiguros I’ve read.

That totally makes sense, and I feel that it's a constant trait of his prose throughout his books, which can work either for or against him. In The Remains of the Day and An Artist of the Floating World, the flatness acts as characterization for both Stevens and Ono and their self-silencing, self-excusing histories, and I thought it was a brilliant character move. But in Never Let Me Go, that exact same flatness (in my view) stifles the emotional impact of Kathy's life and the shocking revelations she experiences, and I was like, what function is this boring-rear end prose serving here?? And I just fell asleep less than 100 pages into The Buried Giant. I think that one style is just how he writes, and depending on what he's trying to make the narration say about the narrator, it's either brilliant or a snoozefest. Maybe if I had read The Buried Giant first, instead of the others first, I'd have been more impressed by the flatness as a tool.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I respect your opinion, but I feel like it's definitely serving a purpose -- it's a banality-of-evil thing, with the idea that Kathy and everyone else at Hailsham has been raised to treat their hideous situation as completely normal, almost beneath mention, and that Kathy hasn't been given an emotional toolkit to really process anything she experiences, so she's fumbling with her emotions. (It's also, I think, an indictment of the Hailsham "experiment" -- the concept that the students are being given a high-class cultural and artistic education, to demonstrate their "souls," but that education is still designed to normalize and dull the horror of their situation, because it's too dangerous to the overall project to allow them to become emotionally well-rounded human beings.)
I totally buy that interpretation! I guess I just feel that if an author uses the exact same tone/prose style for tons of their works throughout their oeuvre, it becomes less an intentional choice/commentary on any individual narrator and more just how they do things lol. But maybe he creates stories and narrators explicitly because of how well their poo poo fits in with his tone/style :holy:

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

derp posted:

it's been a while since i read it, but i remember a palpable and unsettling sensation of the 'walls closing in' - his world is constantly shrinking, he can't go outside anymore, then he can't leave his room anymore, then all the furniture is removed and it's just bare walls, then he's just under the bed hiding in a blank empty room, listening to his family live on without him outside his door. strong feelings of isolation and being an outcast, cemented at the end by his family smiling cheerfully with relief when he finally dies. I got similar feelings of claustrophobia and helplessness from the castle and the trial, too. it must be his 'thing'
I read it as a critique/reflection on disability and mental illness! It's been somewhat written on (and speaking of Proust...). Of course capitalism and mental illness are BFFs and the former inevitably produces the latter lol

snailshell fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 29, 2021

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

If you like tracking your reading history/recommendations but hate Amazon (who owns Goodreads), try The Storygraph! Instead of having five different text documents/notes on my phone/written lists for books I plan to read, it's all in one place. And it sorts your already-read and to-be-read piles by genre, length, pacing, and MOOD (reflective, informative, lighthearted, dark...). And you can search with extreme granularity for new recommendations by saying "I want to read a <400 page slow-paced speculative fiction book that does not mention child abuse." And the algorithm gives you freakishly accurate recommendations too. Unbeatable.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Makes me wonder what other lit is out there with a similar treatments of aliens (i.e. its otherworldly incomprehensibility). Lovecraft's Colour Out of Space, the short story the movie Arrival is based on, and I guess 2001? Surely there are others.
This rec is about AI, not aliens per se, and it's a little pulpy, but Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie slaps. The protagonist is one of many human vessels of a spaceship's AI, seeking revenge for the destruction of its ship in the political maze of the imperialist empire it serves. The mentality of the AI is completely alien, as well as the empire's mentality, which differs quite a bit from our current conception (i.e., it doesn't just lean on tired Empire/Resistance tropes). Also, gender is meaningless in the imperialist language, so there's some interesting play with the colonized vs. colonizer languages and how they communicate meaning differently.

I'm so glad to see people enjoying Storygraph! I loving love little graphs and databases. I made a reading challenge for 2021 about reading writers of color if anyone would like to play along.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

A few novels by women I've read in the last 12 months, so that this thread has some books by women in it
  • Fleishman Is In Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner (who's possibly better known as the Paula Deen cruise journalist): hilarious! Kind of myopically focused on upper-class Manhattanites, but I read that focus as an indictment of that culture tbh. And the frame narration is clever and interesting
  • All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West: Virginia Woolf is the better writer of this power couple; atmospheric and reflective, which makes sense, but very mannerly and buttoned-up. I haven't read Orlando yet and I imagine that an A-B of that book and this one would be bizarre
  • Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: horny and shuddering with agonized inward turmoil, in that early 20s way. Wish I had read this 5 years ago. Suspenseful and gothic in a way few 20th-century authors seem to be able to nail
  • My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh: I've already spoken about my love for Ottessa Moshfegh in this thread; let it be known that she is truly horrible in the best way and seems to be daring you to make a face
Looking forward to getting into Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things and Niviaq Korneliussen's Last Night in Nuuk after this!! If I can find the latter at the library :X

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I read her short story collection which included The Birds* and Don't Look Now. Both were good. However, everything else was unmemorable. In retrospect I would've just gone with Rebecca, though I may check it out in the future. *this may have been a rip-off of an earlier story, actually.
A lost short story of hers was recently found! It's about a man who falls in love with a violinist, but she turns out to own a male sex doll which she loves above all other men (she is also, weirdly, named Rebecca).

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Idaholy Roller posted:

What are the thread’s opinions on the goldfinch. I just finished the Nevada chapters and I’m loving it. Characters feel so raw and authentic.
I was absolutely enraptured all throughout its great length, and actually loved the web of language spun around you that you had to untangle thread by thread (per Mrenda's critique), but the last ~5 to 10 pages break the spell like a loud fart. I was actually shocked at how clumsily all the themes throughout the book were trotted out again, as though you wouldn't get the point of the book without an end-of-work review. So if you get right to the end and start going "ugh," just stop, you're not missing anything.

I also loved The Secret History, which I think does a lot of what The Goldfinch does but in a more uncontrolled/erotic/wild/unpolished way, so that knowledge may inflect your interpretation of my answer lol

Also, once you're done reading it, or for anyone else who already has, check out this bitchy review in Vanity Fair

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Just finished Marlon James' Black Leopard, Red Wolf. ... wow. I can't believe this was the darling of the Litstagram scene when it came out in 2019--it's quite unfriendly to the reader, and demands a serious investment (100+ painful pages) before beginning to repay it. It's unrelentingly and inventively violent, with opaque time jumps and betrayals/realliances throughout, a thousand characters with multiple names each, and monsters/fantastical beasts/witches from dozens of African mythology traditions. Someone on da internet said, "My advice would be to relax when it comes to trying to keep close tabs on all the plot links in this one," which I found helpful. The most frustrating thing is the multiple pages of tagless dialogue, so you have to go back to who said what last and follow it from there. It all jells eventually. The love stories Tracker lives with the multiple lovers throughout his life are heartbreaking.

It explores who deserves victimhood and innocence, the consequences of political ambition on human lives, and what justice, family, and love mean in a life you have had to remake yourself, over and over again. Amal El-Mohtar writes for NPR that the book is like "if Toni Morrison had written Ovid's Metamorphoses: Painful and strange, full of bodies shifting from personhood into meat, and somehow, always, still, upsettingly beautiful."

I can't even imagine what the sequel will be like. Apparently it's going to be a Rashomon situation, with the same events of the first book told through the perspective of another unspecified character.

Also check out this marvelous New Yorker profile of Marlon James by Jia Tolentino. Very revealing. I'm excited to read his other novels based on the power of this one, but considering that The Book of Night Women has been described as even more inaccessible, e.g., it's a novel about six enslaved half sisters on a Jamaican sugar plantation plotting a rebellion against their white overseer/father, which is also "written entirely in eighteenth-century patois." I still haven't gotten through Beloved on account of its brutality so maybe I'll save that one for another time.

snailshell fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

LionArcher posted:

the actual messaging of those books lofted as "great" and "mature" are more often than not is shallower than the works of "lesser genre's".
Do you think that the purpose of a book is to deliver "deep messaging"? Do you feel uncomfortable when you finish a book and you're not sure what to think?

LionArcher posted:

FW deals with a much smaller cast and relies on the complexity of linguistic tactics (something fans of "real literature" often eat up, and again, on it's own I have no problem with. I have a problem when this is considered superior to more common vernacular and prose) to sell itself.
Is the purpose of a book to deliver a story with a minimum of complex linguistic tactics to get in the reader's way?

Also, I would argue that The Goldfinch, while beautiful, is actually quite sloppy in a lot of its prose, and cares a lot more about the story and "messaging" than delivering a sublime prose experience on a craft level, and many critics would put it closer to Wheel of Time than to Finnegans Wake in terms of its "quality"... but then I'd just be participating in a pile-on :niggly: