Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The history thread in A/T convinced me to read Don Quixote and I guess this is the classics thread, so I'm here to post. I can absolutely see why this was one of the first longform prose fiction books to take off big time after the printing press started spreading. It's funny as hell, and irreverent of being well-read in a way that must have appealed to the middle class consumers who could suddenly afford frivolous books, but might not know all the older books that Cervantes is telling them not to waste their time with. I'm always a fan of the found fiction metanarrative--for example, Cervantes ends chapter 9 on a cliffhanger and apologizes to the reader that the notes detailing Quixote's life end there; chapter 10 begins with an account of how he found the continuation of the story.

I mostly wanted to start because I'm a history buff (nearly all the books I read are history nonfiction) and was interested in it as a primary source on how early modern people viewed the transition from the middle ages to their own period, but I'm extremely pleased that I get such a delightful read at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU