Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's more fun to talk about the bad.

I remember literature classes in high school (a looooong time ago) and hating dissecting every loving word. No, Mr. Jones, I don't know what the author meant by the scene with the three-legged dog and, frankly, I don't give a gently caress.

Good thing the internet isn't your lit class, I prefer to discuss the dicks and butts in my literary fiction rather than themes and motifs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Damo posted:

Read some real literature says the guy with the anime avatar.

OK, Mr. Anime Dude, I will. Oh wait I already do. OK, bye!

The anime is drinking piss as well WTF?!?!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Banana Yoshimoto is good, specifically Kitchen. Her pen name is motherfucking "Banana" how could you go wrong?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

i am paul newman posted:

Shouldn't be too snobby about other people's reading. Truth is, there are no bad books, except those that poison with hate (pop non-fiction about freedom and abortion, and such). Harry Potter isn't the enemy of Chekhov, it's the enemy of TMZ.
Reading uses empathy and imagination, no matter if it's literary contemporary wank, golden oft-recommended classics, sparkling vampires, space men, or Civil War biographies.
I've read "better" (and "worse") books since the latest Harry Dresden, but the thing I cared about most this month was how Harry's love interest is aging away from the story. To deny this is folly, nobody ever comes along at the end of your life to tally up and judge your media consumption.

The right way to get people to read nice books is to show them something relatable and funny. Jonas Jonasson's Hundred-Year-Old Man, Mo Yan's Big Breasts, Martin Amis' Money are killers to get for people that do pick up books but find it difficult to pick out books, they're very funny and clever in an inclusive way.

Please tell me more about the big breasts, pictures would help.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Peel posted:

More people should read literary fiction but leading off with 'I did a literal university degree in this and I can't believe how low your power levels are???' is a bit daft.

If it helps any the entirety of my academic literature experience is a 101 community college class and I can't believe how low you guys power levels are.

Fly McCool posted:

Is it more or less daft than relegating anything not written by Joyce or "The Beat Poets, man" as poo poo literature?

More because the beats are mostly poo poo.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

oxsnard posted:

This is a good point. Alexander Dumas' works were seen as pulp serialized garbage among many scholars at the time they were released. The Count of Monte Cristo is hands down my favorite novel of all time. In particular the depiction of life in France at the time along with the characters and observations of human nature still get to me every time I read it. While there's no doubt much of today's popular fiction is destined to be forgotten in the future, there are plenty of books the future will see as classics, perhaps for reasons we can't currently foresee.

I think GRRM will be considered a legend in future generations, for example

I think French culture will probably make a bigger impact on future generations than Westeros culture.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Rime posted:

I thought this was the thread where we all wore black turtlenecks and caps whilst telling everyone else that their genre of reading material was lovely, and then pulling out our own lovely choices as an alternative. :allears:

Smoking Crow is objectively pretentious, I challenge you to write an essay of not less than 500 words examining his pretension from the point of view of an aging literary critic; who has just realized he wasted his entire life spouting pretentious bullshit about pretentious bullshit.

Gravity's Rainbow posted:

She turns. "Hold up my fur." He obeys. "Be careful. Don't touch my skin." Earlier in this game she was nervous, constipated, wondering if this was anything like male impotence. But thoughtful Pointsman, anticipating this, has been sending laxative pills with her meals. Now her intestines whine softly, and she feels poo poo begin to slide down and out. He kneels with his arms up holding the rich cape. A dark turd appears out the crevice, out of the absolute darkness between her white buttocks. He spreads his knees, awkwardly, until he can feel the leather of her boots. He leans forward to surround the hot turd with his lips, sucking on it tenderly, licking along its lower side ... he is thinking, he's sorry, he can't help it, thinking of a Negro's penis, yes he knows it abrogates part of the conditions set, but it will not be denied, the image of a brute African who will make him behave ... The stink of poo poo floods his nose, gathering him, surrounding. It is the smell of Passchendaele, of the Salient. Mixed with the mud, and the putrefaction of corpses, it was the sovereign smell of their first meeting, and her emblem. The turd slides into his mouth, down to his gullet. He gags, but bravely clamps his teeth shut. Bread that would only have floated in porcelain waters somewhere, unseen, untasted risen now and baked in the bitter intestinal Oven to bread we know, bread that's light as domestic comfort, secret as death in bed ... Spasms in his throat continue. The pain is terrible. With his tongue he mashes poo poo against the roof of his mouth and begins to chew, thickly now, the only sound in the room....

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

the JJ posted:

Needs more Ferdowsi. And Rumi.

(I'm sorry, I got trapped with some Persians for a while.)

Translated poetry :whitewater:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Dystram posted:

people read genre fiction to escape from their lovely lives and lit, on the whole, being about lovely lives and the poo poo, shittiness of the world is why lots of folk's don't read lit, since, on the whole, it does not fulfill the purpose of reading for most folks.

Why not? Misery loves company and finding some kind of aesthetic bliss out of lovely lives might help one cope with their own lovely lives.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

mods who have an appreciation for classic chinese literature please rename me Lady Wang

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

There's nothing in the rulebook that says a dog CAN'T write high literature.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

My new to-read pile. I figure I'll start with the tunnel and go from there. Top book is All Quiet.

https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/608300696073576448

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

CestMoi posted:

I watched the first episode of A Young Doctor's Notebook today under the impression that it was an adaptation of A COuntry Doctor and now I really wish someone would make that somehow.

there is an anime adaptation of it

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I live in an ivory tower

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Can someone recommend me a spooky book

The Ego and Its Own - Max Stirner

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

CestMoi posted:

My favourite almost certainly apocryphal Max Stirner story is that Nietzsche always pretended he'd never read him then accidentally let slip to a woman that The Ego and Its Own was basically the basis for everything he ever did and made the woman swear not to say anything.

Yeah that sounds about as true as Diogenes telling Alexander the Great to stop blocking the sun, mostly because it pre-supposes Nietzsche was popular enough with women to have that happen.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

This was the straw that broke the burro's back. I've seen the meanness of Goons till I dont know why God aint put out the sun and gone away. Lowtax may wear a star but whose law does he uphold?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah human genocide and primitive society is pretty funny. Kind of reminds me of Baudrillard's fatal theories with the spectacle and commodities of mother nature being pushed to its catastrophic conclusion.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I legitimately think people who look for symbolism in novels are loving oppressive pedants.

Mandala make ya holla

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

blue squares posted:

With philosophy, its as much about the strength of your argument as it is about the content. So you can have a bullshit, ridiculous conclusion, but if you argue for it in a sound way, you did just fine.

I finished Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and I really loved it. As a veteran, I could relate to some of the stuff about how weird it is when people want to thank you for your service. The love story in it was great, but didn't fit the rest of the book on a thematic level, I didn't think. Still, great read. On to Luminaries, which after 54 pages promises to be even better.

I was going to point out not all philosophy is sophistry but the sophists convinced me the world including myself doesn't exist so now I feel no need to.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Read the picture of Dorian Gray recently, couldn't stop imagining Dorian as Arthur Rimbaud. You think Oscar Wilde had a crush on Rimbaud the same way I do?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

yams are really good

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

mallamp posted:

First book is awesome but after that the characters began to piss me off. French assholes spending all their days coming up with 'witty' things to say at dinner (saying random word in English midsentence counts as witty) wasn't my thing, but sure, the prose is great. Also Marcel is so uberbeta it's not even funny after a while. It should be favorite book of animegeeks, they should also long the lost world Marcel longs for, where he can asperger all day long in peace while plebeians serve him

hello it's me the uberbeta animegeek that longs the lost long asperger world of In Search of Lost Time or something

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

mallamp posted:

Cool
Better than manga huh

Uh sure? If you want illustrations to go with Proust you can buy that art book with every painting he references.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

If you're not reading them for school or whatever and the CIA isn't broadcasting essays through your molar fillings I don't see how they could possibly be much of an influence.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I take the opinions of random assholes on the internet or other forms of media with a grain of salt, especially for a book I've never read. This is not a significant influence. 'Culture works' so I can at least be arrogant enough to disregard the opinions of random plebs when I go to actually read the text. Not exactly the same kind of influence as reading Kierkegaard before the old testament would have.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

CestMoi posted:

SHout out s to my boy mel Mudkiper fpr pointing out that the themes of the book by fascist bodybuilder and suicide man Yukio Mishima that obsessively talks entirely about beuty and death are probably beauty and death.

:wth:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He falls too much into white exoticism of Africa and Latin America for my tastes