Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's more fun to talk about the bad.

I remember literature classes in high school (a looooong time ago) and hating dissecting every loving word. No, Mr. Jones, I don't know what the author meant by the scene with the three-legged dog and, frankly, I don't give a gently caress.

You could uh, not do that instead talk about the insanely sick poo poo that is a Faust making deals with demons and read Pynchon or somethings instead of dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

"Man reading good books means I can only talk about them in a purely academic fashion," said the idiot who has not moved on since public school.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Damo posted:

OK, I will!

Has anyone read that annotated version Lolita? Would you recommend it for someone who hasn't read it before, or is it better for someone already familiar with the novel?

I wouldn't get it, because imo its not worth getting caught up on the details it brings up the first time through.

Tarranon posted:

Engaging the text actually owns tho, and it is easy and everyone can do it, and then you get to enjoy your favorite faustian book three times

That's different from what dude was saying though. He only thinks the discussion can take place like you writing an essay on war and peace for ms. Taylor's senior ap english class.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

But if I do read those types of books and I don't "get" the subtext, then I'm judged as some kind of imbecile.

Here's the thing, if you do not get something there are people who read it that did and they will tell you what you missed. Maybe even here on this very forum.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Here's the thing, if you do not get something there are people who read it that did and they will tell you what you missed. Maybe even here on this very forum.

Let me put a caveat here, I'm going to call you an idiot if you do it in a way that would fit in with the books you couldn't get through thread.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Srice posted:

You should make a thread for that book!

Yes please do. If the discussion isnt going on then start it. Even if you feel like your hanging out in the wind you at least brought attention to whatever your talking about. Hence why I never shut up about the blind owl.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 18, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

And just like that, The Accursed is on my list of books to read.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I think it has more to do with the confusion at the vast majority of people not enjoying (or hell, even seeking out in the first place) work that can be considered "high culture". Really, schools should just stop forcing boring books on kids. (Protip: Do not make energetic teenagers read Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights) It scares them away from heavier topics later in life. Hell, some it even scares away from reading for pleasure at all.

You are really stuck on high school aren't you?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Also where are these schools that made you guys read these things? All I got was the Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner and a book with a character named DJ Cool Hands.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Pessimisten posted:

My god, the irony of this loving thread. You'd think people talking about the virtues of lit discussions and analysis would be a bit more open to actually reading posts and discussing them. Who the gently caress really has a prosecution complex in here? I don't identify with TBB or so called "genre fiction" and i could give a rats rear end about anyones opinion in either. I simply wanted to point out how this thread proclaims to serve some kind of purpose of broadening this forum while doing the exact opposite and alienating anyone who identified with the things you state so clearly to be bad and childish.

Grow up and stop hiding behind lovely excuses. This thread was started on a bad premise, whether or not you still find value in it and you enjoy talking about classic literature has nothing to do with it. And by all means, keep it going for as long as you please. Noone's here to ruin your fun. But you can't be behaving high and mighty one second and then going "Chill bro, we just be hangin, talkin books an poo poo in here! why ya'll gotta beef?". Before i just felt like making fun of such a childish thread proclaiming others to be juvenile, but this is seriously infuriating 5th grade bullshit. Try for a second, not to act like this is some silly flame war where you can win by going "pfft, whateva scrub!"

Excuse my profanity and bad language... But poo poo, would you act like adults.

Chill bro, we just be hangin, talkin books an poo poo in here! why ya'll gotta beef?

No one is telling you to give up your bad genre fiction. Just read beyond it so you can enrich your life. There is really no excuse to not do it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

mango gay touchies posted:

I think a FYAD-lite for TBB would be a good idea, personally, and I volunteer to be the moderator of it

ew/phiz

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Non-genre fiction is just like genre fiction in that quality varies a lot - just because a book isn't genre fiction doesn't automatically make it good.

I actually hate separating books into this is genre fiction and this is not. There are plenty of genre fiction authors out there who write great books that stand along non genre fiction. To separate them is to ghettoize what authors write. I really think all fiction should be viewed on its merits of being a good book or not and not just a good urban fantasy book.

I think I have written this post before......

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Every time I hear someone describe any of chabons works it sounds terrible.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

He has earned the benefit of the doubt from me though because the Yiddish Police Man's Union was good and I thought the description sounded terrible when I first heard that as well.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

nutranurse posted:

So I've read a ton of the 'classics' of non-genre lit, but I always find it hard to parse out the good modern/contemporary (like 00's onwards) litfic. Anyone have recommendations? If someone mentions Murakami I'll poo poo down your throat, not because he's bad (I actually really like Norwegian Wood, 1Q84's a loving slog though), but because that's the dude people tend to throw up to show how cool and non-Western they are in their litfic taste.

Off the top of my head:
Kobo Abe
Pynchon
Mo Yan
Dellilo
Milorad Pavic
Ryu Murakami
Tao Lin (joke answer do not read)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I do not like Delillo though I have not read Mao 2.

I respect him, though I do not necessarily really like him.

i am paul newman posted:

Shouldn't be too snobby about other people's reading. Truth is, there are no bad books, except those that poison with hate (pop non-fiction about freedom and abortion, and such). Harry Potter isn't the enemy of Chekhov, it's the enemy of TMZ.
Reading uses empathy and imagination, no matter if it's literary contemporary wank, golden oft-recommended classics, sparkling vampires, space men, or Civil War biographies.
I've read "better" (and "worse") books since the latest Harry Dresden, but the thing I cared about most this month was how Harry's love interest is aging away from the story. To deny this is folly, nobody ever comes along at the end of your life to tally up and judge your media consumption.

The right way to get people to read nice books is to show them something relatable and funny. Jonas Jonasson's Hundred-Year-Old Man, Mo Yan's Big Breasts, Martin Amis' Money are killers to get for people that do pick up books but find it difficult to pick out books, they're very funny and clever in an inclusive way.

Actually there are bad books. Just like there are bad movies, bad music, and bad drawings.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stop talking about grr martin in this thread or I will commit murder suicide.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am reading Memoirs of my Mental Illness since I made the mistake of letting someone borrow the book I was reading and its a really good look at well, being crazy. You can sit there and read these crazy insane things like magical thinking and realise that some one legit believed these were real. Coupled with the letter he sends to one of the uhhh asylum wardens or whatever its called you can tell he still believes a lot of what he wrote, at least partially. Its fascinating and even though I am only part way in I would say its most definently worth reading.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Holy poo poo guys! Now can we get a niggerstomper58 rewrite or a motherfucking grey alien open palm slam in here?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Chamberk posted:

I could throw up a Dickens thread soon. Or maybe a 19th century novel thread, which might get more traffic...

Not every thread has to be some sprawling 50 page monster. Small threads are cool as well.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone know a good English translation of Goethe's Faust, or at least which ones are just awful and to be avoided?

David Luke did a pretty good contemporary translation with tons of notes if that is your thing. Beyard Taylor's is an older translation that keeps the original metre but you are bereft of all the extra dlc content that Luke's version contains but I still find it p. decee.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

mallamp posted:

Magical realists of course, but they have to call themselves that to avoid being lumped with the medieval bullshit.

Magical realism is pretty different from fantasy imo. Magic realism tends to deal with well fantastical things people believe in/believe and are tinged in the fear/suspicion of the unknown and how it relates to the real world. Sometimes these elements are metaphoricle in nature. Fantasy deals in known imaginary elements in a purely constructed world and has no real connections with the real.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

If your sole criteria for something being fantasy is magic or something then I can see why you think the magic realists are just trying to shrug off the fantasy label but that's pretty wrong. I read a book that had a woman turn into a tree, another one who came back to life and could extend her face as well as read minds, and a woman who became translucent during childbirth but I would not consider it a fantasy book due to these elements.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I wouldn't say all fantasy deals with a "purely constructed world". There are authors like Charles deLint and Diana Wynne Jones who write fantasy novels that bring fantasy elements like magic etc into the real world, but their books are not at all what I'd call magical realist.

Your right, I was over generalizing

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Now that we have talked about western canon let's talk eastern:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Just because it is short does not mean its the way to go in. Especially with Pynchon. Read gravitys rainbow.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Its a funny one

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

How about instead try and read catch 22, no longer human by ozuma dazai, american psycho, down and out in Paris and London, a ryu marakami book, uhhhh some other stuff I can not think of off the top of my head. All good things that are easy to understand the first time through.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

No this guy is right, idiocracy was a documentary.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

People tend to forget that English is a living language, which means it is going to change over time and is not set in stone. Modern day English is way different than what was spoken in say Shakespeare's time, or heck even during the revolutionary war.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Also do not memorize Hamlet. You have zero reason to unless you really like it and decided you wanted to perform it or something.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't actually happen. I'm pretty sure it's been shown that mass media exposure to different dialects doesn't actually cause any particular spread of those dialects. Vocabulary, sure, but that's different.

Dialects are largely formed at a young age and the largest influence is on what your peers (other schoolchildren at the same age) and parents spoke.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Your mind is being blown by an online poll being rigged.

I'm sad that it doesn't spell out anything

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Can we not talk about grr martin in the real lit thread. Take it to the thread that made the rapefanfic instead please.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I reread Mo Yan's Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out in Chinese. I still feel that its a good book but definently not something I would recommend reading twice (unless you are doing something like I was and working on a language) as there is almost nothing that has a deep meaning that you would not pick up the first time kinda like The Master and Margarita. I do think it reads better in Chinese much like how most translations are.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 8, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Oh cool, the book reports we did in sixth grade thread was finally made. Yeah I too did mine on the life of pi.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Davincie posted:

i read after dark by murakami recently and there were some obvious hints to greater things going on in the book. are they explored in any of his other books or are they not connected?

I am pretty certain they are not connected at all and are self contained in the book.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am a truck driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Some of the most erudite goons I've encountered are truck drivers or on a military deployment which is kind of cool. I studied computer science and math :shobo:

I'm super smart and handsome and I memorised Hamlet.