Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Any suggestions OP?

Sun and Steel, Yukio Mishima
Outlaws of the Marsh/Water Margin/All Men Are Brothers, attributed to Shi Naian
Divina Commedia, Dante Aligheri, translated by John Ciardi
Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco
Revenge, Yoko Ogawa
The Power and the Glory, Graham Greene
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, James Joyce
Catch-22, Joseph Heller
The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
The Long Goodbye, Raymond Chandler
Doctor Zhivago, Boris Pasternak
Roadside Picnic, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
At Swim-Two-Birds, Flann O'Brien
Go Down, Moses, William Faulkner
The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Stravinsky posted:

I wouldn't get it, because imo its not worth getting caught up on the details it brings up the first time through.

That's different from what dude was saying though. He only thinks the discussion can take place like you writing an essay on war and peace for ms. Taylor's senior ap english class.

IMO you should never read an annotated edition before reading the unannotated text unless it's a translated edition which needs a lot of explanatory footnotes. Even then you can get by without it for, say, a good translation of the Four Classic Chinese Novels.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
So where should I go in Native American literature after Momaday, Silko, and Alexie?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm only vaguely knowledgeable about Japanese, Euro-American and Russian lit, sorry.

Actually, I was hoping to attract someone else in, but you really should read those three. I would avoid anything Leslie Marmon Silko wrote after the eighties, admittedly.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Wolpertinger posted:

Never really seen the appeal of capital L Literature - reading it whole lot of it is work and very little enjoyment - not something I look for when I'm lookin for something to read. Plus, a whole lotta literature is hella depressing, which makes me want to read it even less.

Honestly, literature and genre books seem so incredibly separate in everything they intend to do that even the comparison of a big mac to a filet mignon seems off, - I'd say those two foods have considerably more in common than the average piece of literature and the average genre novel.

What have you read in terms of "high literature"?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Wolpertinger posted:

The Great Gatsby, Fahrenheit, Animal Farm, 'simpler' stuff like that. If I try to open something like War and Peace I'm lost by page 2.

Read Dashiell Hammett or Raymond Chandler or James M. Cain or William Faulkner's Knight's Gambit. Their novels are generally considered to be high literature but it's still also detective fiction. Or read some of the great writers of short fiction- Mark Twain, Anton Chekov, etc.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Whalley posted:

If you read genre fiction you're a child and only non genre stuff is allowed to have deeper meanings. Alif the Unseen may have seemed like an exploration of the balance between tradition and technology over the backdrop of a criticism of Western concepts of intellectual freedom but that's only because you're a child reading books about genies by comic book authors go suck a diaper you nerd

The distinction between genre and high literature hasn't had anything to do with subject matter since The Turn of the Screw and Red Harvest were accepted as lit-fic. I get why you're hostile, but the fact is, most sci-fi authors complaining about the sci-fi ghetto simply aren't very good.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Talmonis posted:

Honestly after being forced to read things called "high literature" in public school, a lot of folks simply don't want to be bored on their own time. If you're not reading for enjoyment in fiction, or to educate yourself in non-fiction, what's really the personal incentive to do so?

That's not to say that all "high literature" are boring, but it just seems that way when Twain and Austen are held in such high regard. It doesn't help matters that "popular fiction" is derided for the very sin of being created for entertainment.

High literature is, generally, much more pleasurable to read than genre fiction. One of the defining lines is in the power and quality of the prose. The sex scene in The Name of the Rose is infinitely more beautiful than any sex scene in Game of Thrones. The Sound and the Fury's most difficult passages are the most rewarding because of the beautiful way in which Faulkner conveys detail through deliberately distorted writing. Of course, you have to acclimate to it, and need something to compare to.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mister Kingdom posted:

I think that's the biggest turn off for Shakespeare. You're constantly looking at the footnotes to know what's being said. Then you have to figure out what he means.

Shakespeare wrote plays, largely in verse. Reading it aloud will help you get a handle on what's being said.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Iamblikhos posted:

Herodotus would like to have a word with you

"There are others of the Indians who are neighbors of the city of Caspatyrus and the Pactyic country, north of the rest of India, and these live much like the Bactrians. They are the most warlike of the Indians, and it is they who go in quest of the gold; for in these parts all is desert because of the sand. In this desert, and sand, there are ants that are in bigness lesser than dogs but larger than foxes. Some of them have been hunted and captured and kept at the palace of the Persian king. These ants make their dwelling underground, digging out the sand in much the same fashion as ants do in Greece, and they are also very like them in form. The sand that they dig out has gold in it. The Indians start off into the desert to get at this sand. Each of the hunters harnesses together three camels, a male on either side, on a trace, and the female in the middle, on which the rider is mounted. He takes care that this mare camel should have offspring as young as possible, from which she has been taken away for the ride. Among these people, camels are every bit as quick as horses, apart from being far more capable of carrying burdens."

In any case, here's the oldest extant Middle English literature, the poem "Sir Tristrem", commonly attributed to Thomas the Rhymer but of unknown authorship.

http://d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/text/lupack-lancelot-of-the-laik-and-sir-tristrem-sir-tristrem-part-i

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Burning Rain posted:

Dude, what the gently caress are you buying if Amazon recommends those to you?

Pre-Raphaelite poetry. It's a bug they're working on.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Who the hell orders off amazon

If you don't buy your books from a physical independent bookstore, clutch the hardback with your hands, and pay with paper money I doubt your seriousness as a reader.

Real men get them from yard/estate/library sales

I got my Mann and Hesse collections started that way.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
If we're talking Middle English literature, there's always Sir Tristrem, too.

I was at Ertheldoun
With Tomas spak Y thare;
Ther herd Y rede in roune
Who Tristrem gat and bare,
Who was king with croun,
And who him forsterd yare,
And who was bold baroun,
As thair elders ware.
Bi yere
Tomas telles in toun
This aventours as thai ware.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ras Het posted:

How many detective story authors from a hundred years ago do we still talk about, and do we do so in terms of literature?

80-90 years gives us Hammett and Ray Chandler, both of whom are fairly canonical in the USA.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly he comes off as a smart and clever guy who has a great sense of humor about himself and his career. His criticism is pretty sharp at times as well. I just wish his fans would just be willing to say "he is a really talented and prolific writer who has revolutionized the genre and industry he worked in" instead of trying to hold him up as the single greatest literary mind of American letters.

Well, he's the second-greatest literary mind of American letters, because A m e r i c a n l i t e r a t u r e s u ck s.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will loving fight you

:troll:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smoking Crow posted:

What's a good old book to read once I'm done with my research paper

read faulkner's mosquitoes or knight's gambit if you feel like relaxing

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anyone remember when Stephen King took credit for Lars Von Trier's show and changed it by making it in Maine and adding a serial killer

I was pretty amazed to learn that Garth Marenghi's Darkplace came before he did that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"A significant difference in the American series was the introduction of the character of a talking giant anteater in the role of spirit guide/death/Anubis/Antubis."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Quandary posted:

I have read very very little classic literature, reccomend me a good first book to start with please.

Graham Greene. Nothing too convoluted in prose or structure. I would recommend The Power and the Glory, The Comedians, or the collection Twenty-One Stories.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm almost through Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, a book already cemented as my favorite novel of all time. This kind of complexity, absurdity and fantastic metaphorical imagery is my jam. I read up on the author and how he's so incredibly reclusive. Does anyone know for sure that he's not actually a group of people? It's kind of hard for me to believe that one person could write such an ingenious work and still be publishing such complex, relevant books even to this day (Bleeding Edge).

There are a very few photographs of him, and he voiced himself on the Simpsons and for the Inherent Vice trailer.

Really, he's probably not particularly reclusive so much as he avoids publicizing himself.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Okay, fair enough, but isn't it still possible that he's just a figurehead for a team of writers? I can't get over the fact that one dude, 78 and still writing, seems to know literally everything about the past 200 or so years of history, judging by synopses of his other books.

It's clearly all a conspiracy :tinfoil:

EDIT: I could easily believe a succession theory. Taking a quick look at Bleeding Edge the writing seemed pretty different from GR, 40 years of writing apart or not.

Mason & Dixon took 22 years to write (granted, Vineland, at least, was also written during most of this period) and he's stopped writing short stories and doesn't do publicity, so he's got plenty of time to do research.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm probably the only person aside from Jules Venre who enjoys The Narrative Of Arthur Gordon Pym Of Nantucket on its own merit. Greetings.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For me it's not even about themes as much as subject positioning. Literature for me should create an experience wherein you are forced to parse the world around you through a perspective alien to you. It should allow you to experience events entirely outside of the self, and force you to reconstruct your own subjectivity at its completion.

My frustration with the idea that Calvino should be read merely on the merits of images is that it doesn't ask the reader to challenge themselves to become something more than who they were when they began the experience. Art, in my mind, must at some level create a transformative experience. Anything else is simple consumption.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean. Surely the presentation of images can produce this altered perspective too, right? And thus a transformative experience.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

unao posted:

Do you read poetry, or is that only for the poetry megathread?
Because poetry is literature.Its also super existing, thus real. But i don't see any of that here, just narrative reading people. Not even theatre.

If we're allowed to, i want to say the book hara kiri (Bertoni) is good.

*gestures out the window* as you can see, friend, the state of the subforum is such that there's simply too many people talking about poetry and theater for us to combine the threads

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CestMoi posted:

What is the point of having a big thread to be pretentious in if just anyone can come in and be like "i like that one poem where it's like "faster and faster in the widening thing the falcon cannot hear the falconsman""

I'm going to reread "Conflict and Harmony", by Alexei Tolstoy, soon.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Should I read Kokoro or Life and Fate next? You have to pick one.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cloks posted:

Too bad there aren't public or university owned buildings where you can borrow books for free.

*steps into friendly local public library and squeals with delite at the well-stocked YA and wizardbook selections*

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cloks posted:

Touche. I'm spoiled because I live in Ohio and we have some of the best library systems in the country.

Lot of the libraries around here don't even have interlibrary loans, because it costs money to do the statewide system and they are paid for by decaying rust belt suburbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A whole buncha people on this forum really like a book about an obsessive hideous shut-in who lives vicariously through RPGs

Just gonna let that hover in the air for abit

Yeah, goons are unbelievably obsessed with escapist fiction, your point?